PLEASE READ CONCERNING POTENTIAL GOVERNMENT ACTION

Udon Map
Admin

PLEASE READ CONCERNING POTENTIAL GOVERNMENT ACTION

Post by Udon Map » April 28, 2017, 12:51 pm

The NRSA is considering a law which would require everyone who posts on a public blog or forum to register as a journalist.

One of my sources tells me that Prime Minister Chan-o-cha made a statement on this issue (although the date of the statement is not clear) in which he said,
This is about evil people who are causing problems. Each country has similar problems, especially because of social media. The people who use social media write and disseminate irresponsible information, and special attention is needed to deal with this problem.

I suggest some additional caution in what people post in the forum. Remember that the lèse-majesté law here in Thailand is interpreted quite broadly and encompasses any statement which could possibly be deemed insulting or detrimental to the Royal Family, any of its members or institutions, any part of the government, or detrimental to the interests of Thailand generally. Remember, too, that speech which might not seem at all negative to us may, nevertheless, be considered problematic here. Different cultures use language differently.

As I have said before, we are guests in this country; and we are here by our own choice. It is incumbent on us to be good guests and comply with the rules of our hosts. If we don't like the rules, we always have the option to leave if we wish.

Udon Map
Admin

Re: PLEASE READ CONCERNING POTENTIAL GOVERNMENT ACTION

Post by Udon Map » May 14, 2017, 11:53 pm

More information has now become available. It's my understanding that in the event that a disrespectful or offensive post appears on UM, the government would ask UM to take it down. UM will, of course, comply with any such requests from the government. Note, however, that that still leaves the member who put the post(s) up liable for prosecution under lèse-majesté laws.

The Thai government has given Facebook until this Tuesday, May 16th, to remove over a hundred posts. The current expectation seems to be that there is a reasonable possibility that FB will be blocked in Thailand if Zuckerberg does not comply.

In any case, Udon Map recognizes that we are guests here and UM will be appropriately respectful of His Majesty individual Maha Vajiralongkorn, the entire Royal Family, and the government. Disrespectful posts will be removed without notice or advance warning. Further, Udon Map will comply with all Thai laws.

Return to “IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OUR READERS”