police- "only checking one way today"

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
MacAdder
udonmap.com

police- "only checking one way today"

Post by MacAdder » May 31, 2008, 10:39 am

Well another 200bht fine today. I was with my TG and we jumped on the scooter for a quick visit to the market. Not sure what its called but in between nong prajak and nong sim, It sits next to a one way street (part time). Pulled in to the street, paid the 2 bht for parking, got the shopping, turned the bike around and proceeded to drive back. Policeman stops us right at the junction and asks us to pull in to the side. Turns out that at certain times of the day that street is 1 way only, no signs telling you what the times are, well not that i can see. Oh well fair cop.... gave him my thai licence, wanted to see the documents for the bike, fine me 200bht... blah blah. while i was wating for the reciept a bike pulls up and the passengers ask the policeman something, he points down the street and they drove off.

Standing there gob smacked i ask my TG to ask him why he did nothing abut the 3 children on that bike, the oldest must have been 11, no helmets on and i would imagine no licence or docs. His reply .... "Today i only stop one way.... tomorrow i stop for helmet" Crazy or what?

When are they gonna stop these youngsters riding bikes without a licence?

Also saw 6 on a bike..... didnt think it was possible, mother and father, 3 small kids and a dog in the front basket.

Also saw two guys riding a bike with passenger arms outstretched, thought it looked a bit strange but as i got closer relised that he was carrying a large pane of glass in front of him, 1 big bump and "off with his head.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 31, 2008, 11:05 am

:D So tomorrow is helmet day. Thanks!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 31, 2008, 11:28 am

I feel for you MacAdder!I encourage venting our frustrations about this type of ridiculous behavior because I believe it to be therapuetic!

But it will never change it and as falangs,we are targeted!I don't care what some of the more ''assimilated members''say,targeting falangs is a fact and I don't believe for one moment,the ''excuse''the cop gave!

I am not saying that he would not have stop the Thai if you had not been there,he may have or not depending on his perception of a need to reach the monthly quota(as they receive a portion of the fines,up to a certain amount),his aptitude for ''work'' that day and his ''greed needs''(money stops)!

It is the system here and any and all rhetoric by the ''higher ups''about enforcing no corruption is all BS because they did it on the way up and they are only verbally posturing for the media! :(

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 31, 2008, 11:28 am

I've been stopped twice in the last couple of weeks; both times I was required to pay 300bt.

The first stop was for passing through an orange light. The light was turning orange as I approached the junction and was going to fast to stop. As I passed through the junction the light changed from orange to red. The policeman did not stop the several cars and motorbikes behind that actually passed through the red, but instead singled me out and insisted that I passed through a red. Anyway I couldn’t argue with him and he took my license and gave me a receipt but didn't tell me what to do next. I managed to pay on the spot in the end to avoid confiscation of my license.

The next stop was on the Nong Khai road, I was doing around 105km's in the left hand lane and then approached a police top, all cars that were traveling the same speed as me were waved forward and I was picked out at told to pull over. He told me I was driving over the speed limit, but only by 15km, I thought it was acceptable and because it was not excessive they usually let you proceed with a warning. Anyway it was around lunch time so I guess money was needed for lunch so paid him the 300bt and went on my way. I was annoyed about being singled out from all the other vehicles that were doing the same speed as me, if not faster, some driving slow in the fast lane, some over taking me doing at least 130km’s etc.

Anyway I continued my journey up the road at 90kph, driving carefully in the left lane and then 10km’s later I was asked to pull over, again being singled out from all other traffic. This time I really had enough, what could I have possibly done wrong this time? I looked at the clock, only a few minutes before lunch, so I decided to take Bkkstans’s advice and pretend I didn’t see them and proceed forward. I guess it was just another money stop and since the last stop was cash in the policemans hand I had nothing to prove that I have already paid a fine so the best thing was to continue to avoid another 300bt cash-in-hand.

It really annoys me when this happens, I'm a pretty good driver and drive carefully all the time but some of us are singled out for petit things. Every day I see crazy things happen on the roads, trucks overloaded, cars with broken lights pelting out black smoke, I’ve even seen the cops drive around without helmets going the wrong way up roads without lights. :?

polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: police- "only checking one way today"

Post by polehawk » May 31, 2008, 11:34 am

MacAdder wrote: Standing there gob smacked i ask my TG to ask him why he did nothing abut the 3 children on that bike, the oldest must have been 11, no helmets on and i would imagine no licence or docs. His reply .... "Today i only stop one way.... tomorrow i stop for helmet"
He forgot to add, "but everyday is farang day!".

Odd sighting. Saw a motorbike pull out of Homemart the other day with mama and papa balancing a 3 meter length of PVC on their shoulders, papa talking on cellphone, mama holding umbrella over them and little one squeezed in between them. I waved at papa as we went on by to see his reaction but he just grinned. Ya gotta love it here. Something different everyday. :lol:

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » May 31, 2008, 7:21 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:I feel for you MacAdder!I encourage venting our frustrations about this type of ridiculous behavior because I believe it to be therapuetic!

But it will never change it and as falangs,we are targeted!I don't care what some of the more ''assimilated members''say,targeting falangs is a fact and I don't believe for one moment,the ''excuse''the cop gave!

I am not saying that he would not have stop the Thai if you had not been there,he may have or not depending on his perception of a need to reach the monthly quota(as they receive a portion of the fines,up to a certain amount),his aptitude for ''work'' that day and his ''greed needs''(money stops)!

It is the system here and any and all rhetoric by the ''higher ups''about enforcing no corruption is all BS because they did it on the way up and they are only verbally posturing for the media! :(
I agree with you Stan: =D>
Enforcing the laws, making stops and on-the-spot fines is how the cops get paid. He might stop ten Thai's and none of them have money. Falang always have. And riding four on a bike (me,gf and her two girls) and no helmets was the most fun I had in a long, long time... next to boinking gf.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » May 31, 2008, 7:39 pm

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "one-way" to be found anywhere
in the Thai traffic code. Numerous times while attempting to cross the street,
I've almost been reduced to road-kill for believing in such folly.

Do you guys have the requisite police officer caps and other regalia adorning
the top of your dashboards? Maybe you could mount an emergency light
on your roof and get some large "rescue" stickers for the doors? :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 31, 2008, 8:39 pm

I have been pulled over in BKK and also Udon for no reason, except im a farang and driving a new car with Red plates, ( u can afford this, coz u have new car )

So i stopped the car , tried to communicate etc , laughed when he said 2000 baht for what ?? and then told the Police I was ringing 1155 ( Tourist Police ) and u can discuss with them . Both times i was waved thru.

I have also been pulled over for driving in the right lane on highways as the left lane on the highways are rough and full of pot holes . The law is clear on this and so cop the 200-300 baht,

Othello
udonmap.com

Post by Othello » May 31, 2008, 9:10 pm

Oh the joys of driving in the Kingdom.
Something new every day.
Enough to make you smile.
Sure beats the crap out of England.
Only been one place worse and that was Mexico.
Smile and let them go, did you come HERE TO JOIN OR LEAVE THR RAT RACE.
Yes I have seen 3 dead in the road and some probables.
It was their time.
Light bulbs are expensive and life is cheap.
TIT.

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » May 31, 2008, 9:42 pm

I have never had any problem with the BIB, been stopped a few times once doing a 160km on the way to KK.
Pull out the paper bit of my UK license, see them look around uncomfortable wondering what the hell it is and am rapidly moved on :lol: :lol:
Free the Doug 1

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 3, 2008, 6:21 am

I have lived in NK for 4+ years and I have never been bothered by the city police!I have seen falangs not stopped for no helmuts and bike registration checks while the Thais were being stopped.My conclusion is that there is almost a hands off policy involving falangs in NK by the traffic police.But 1 out of 3 trips to Udon,police attemt to stop me at a ''money stop''!
Hard to make it one day in BK without being stopped and I lived there 5 years!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 3, 2008, 6:58 am

Compolian, complain, complain, we all complain about the police and their tactics, if you know. WHY give them the opportunity. Going through orange light I do feel that was a stop too far, but you could go to the police station and demand that you speak to inspector or higher, oftern refusing to pay on spot fine can be productive as no fine.
Also demand a receipt, then he has to pass on the fine.
Simple rules avoids discrimination.
And yes I have been stopped and if I feel I am right I do argue, no fine is the normal outcome. be polite and try, then they will know you do not intentionally break the law like Thias and also become more polite.
Guns

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 3, 2008, 9:05 am

Guns482 wrote:Compolian, complain, complain
It's always good to get it off your chest.
Guns482 wrote:but you could go to the police station and demand that you speak to inspector or higher, oftern refusing to pay on spot fine can be productive as no fine.
IMO it's not worth the effort for 300bt. It's easier to moan about it on the forum LOL

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » June 3, 2008, 9:22 am

A different twist...

On my way to NK to play golf at Victory Park, stopped at the 'normal' speed trap (was doing 105). On this particular day I was playing golf with a friend who owed me some money for repairing one of his clubs. Knowing this, I only had 50 baht with me. Cop asked for 200 and I showed him the 50 I had. He said, "is that all you have?" I said, "yes", and he just told me to go on.

Moral of the story, carry only a minimal amount of cash in your wallet, money clip, or whatever you usually use. It's hard for them to believe you only have such a small amount but on the other hand, they're used to it from Thais.
8)
Stay atop the grass

Return to “Open Forum”