Favourite Music.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Favourite Music.

Post by tamada » January 7, 2023, 1:32 pm

Potamoi wrote:
January 7, 2023, 10:26 am
A good way to introduce yourself to some new music is to follow someone' playlist on Spotify. I do this with my daughter.

Another way is to just select a genre and start like/dislike to train it to give you music that appeals to you by like/dislike to tunes played for you.

Spotify.jpg
But LYM says he already hates Bowie.

My trick on identifying new music overheard while traveling or playing on streaming radio is to use the SoundHound app. You can check out the album later and decide if it's for you.

SoundHound also good for identifying the 'golden oldie' that may have slipped from your memory.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 7, 2023, 1:39 pm

Lyrically this is worth a listen .. from 1982 .. credit to Redz over on US for reminding me just how good this period in music was

Jacksprat will love this .. and Mr Sayle too is blacker than Meggy Markle

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 7, 2023, 4:42 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 7, 2023, 1:39 pm

Jacksprat will love this ..
"Love this" is probably taking it too far - but I did notice the physical similarities between yourgoodself and Mr Sayle. :D

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 7, 2023, 5:14 pm

I refuse to patronize any place that plays that rap crap. I'm an old country music fan. Artists from the sixties are my favorites.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 7, 2023, 5:35 pm

glalt wrote:
January 7, 2023, 5:14 pm
I refuse to patronize any place that plays that rap crap. I'm an old country music fan. Artists from the sixties are my favorites.
Not rap, spelling error. Starts with a 'C'
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 7, 2023, 6:07 pm

Surely rap is "off topic" ..... this thread is about music not talking ...... I blame Lee bl**dy Marvin & his wandering star :evil: and lets not forget Telly Savalas :-&

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 7, 2023, 7:31 pm

Potamoi wrote:
January 7, 2023, 10:26 am
A good way to introduce yourself to some new music is to follow someone' playlist on Spotify. I do this with my daughter.

Another way is to just select a genre and start like/dislike to train it to give you music that appeals to you by like/dislike to tunes played for you.

Spotify.jpg
DuiDui49 wrote:
January 7, 2023, 10:33 am
Spotify cost aroud 130-140Bath,well invested money i think and an awsome way to learn more about diffrent artists,,i agree in what you posted Potamoi :-)
Yes, good idea, I'll try that.
samster wrote:
January 7, 2023, 11:06 am
Have you tried Cigarettes after Sex. Very relaxing after a hard day at it.

Incidentally, my Thai neighbours wifi name is threelittleboys. That puts them one ahead of Rolf. Should I be worried?
The El Paso band? I'll have a listen to CAS. Sounds like your neighbours are closet didgeridoo fans. :shock:
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 7, 2023, 10:01 pm

glalt wrote:
January 7, 2023, 5:14 pm
I like Hank Williams, Jimmy 'the yodeling Brakeman' Rodgers, the Carter Family and Patsy for country music
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 7, 2023, 10:26 pm

For truly horrible supposed music from Canada, nothing even approaches the awfulness of Wilf Carter.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 8, 2023, 8:37 am

FB_IMG_1673141788691.jpg

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » January 8, 2023, 11:00 am

Earnest wrote:
January 7, 2023, 7:31 pm

The El Paso band?
Yes.

My future DIL is a metal fan. She introduced me to pirate metal. Something the naval chaps might enjoy.

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » January 8, 2023, 6:39 pm

I seem to recall that one of the original posts on this topic was asking for recommendations of any new bands, which might interest an elder person.

For those interested in rock may I recommend (from the UK) London Grammar, Florence and the Machine, Amy Macdonald, and Wolf Alice.
Richard Thompson, although over 70, is till playing his immaculate guitar, and still writing. While Nick Cave (although an Australian) is producing some of the best music of his life.

Over the Atlantic, The Tededsky Truck band are still knocking all of the audience out, AND Grace Potter is doing the same. And in Canada the Cowboy Junkies are still doing their stuff.

For Jazz in the UK I must recommend KOKOROKO and Camilla George.
But if you like your jazz a bit lighter you can't go wrong with Tokyo Groove Jyoshi. They can play fantastically - and that is not all.

For the UK Classical music followers, there are free concerts almost very day in London. Mainly by students from the Royal Academy. Thes will ne the future stars of th concert halls. While the Kanneh-Mason family are already stars.

Take no notice of the daily crap on the radio. Did you ever listen to that when you were young? I would not think so. You were probably going to a local gig with no more than a hundred or so other fans and getting a first glimpse at one of those who later made the headlines.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 8, 2023, 6:45 pm

Cadicus, I think Nick Cave should be placed in one and the entrance bricked up.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 8, 2023, 7:07 pm

Tame Impala.

The 1975.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 8, 2023, 7:17 pm

Get your ears around this - don't bother wearing socks, because it will blow them off.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 8, 2023, 7:19 pm

caducus wrote:
January 8, 2023, 6:39 pm
I While Nick Cave (although an Australian) is producing some of the best music of his life.
Agreed.

He writes, and performs, thinking man's (and women's) music.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » January 8, 2023, 8:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 8, 2023, 7:19 pm
caducus wrote:
January 8, 2023, 6:39 pm
I While Nick Cave (although an Australian) is producing some of the best music of his life.
Agreed.

He writes, and performs, thinking man's (and women's) music.
He's a genius but, not really new music. I remember Birthday Party in the late 70s

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » January 9, 2023, 10:04 am

DuiDui49 wrote:
January 7, 2023, 10:33 am

Spotify cost aroud 130-140Bath,well invested money i think and an awsome way to learn more about diffrent artists,,i agree in what you posted Potamoi :-)
Hum, I had a paid account years ago but now have a free one which does everything I want it to do. Dont remember if I had to spoof my IP address to get the free one but dont use a VPN with Spotify now and it works fine. Strange, I heard users needed to pay in Thailand for Spotify before too. Will investigate. Cheers.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 9, 2023, 10:14 am

Have also been using Spotify no charges no vpn
Another one that is good is the Jango app

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 9, 2023, 6:44 pm

noosard wrote:
January 9, 2023, 10:14 am
Have also been using Spotify no charges no vpn
Another one that is good is the Jango app
Maybe the free Spotify is just for "generic" music pick and play from their juke box? There's a former BBC Radio 2 DJ that i liked who now plies his trade via Spotify. I am pretty sure I needed to subscribe to hear his shows when I looked at it last year. Is there a sign up for a subscription that's not monetized? I can't imagine he's making these shows for free.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Open Forum”