EV in Thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: EV in Thailand

Post by Khun Paul » June 6, 2023, 11:23 am

If you have not watched it, I suggest you do so. Rowan Atkinson ( Mr Bean ) has a good take on EV and basically states they cause more problems than they solve. Everyman and his country are sold on the idea with zero idea how to sustain the batteries and the recycling required after each 10 year period when other forms of power can be gained far more cheaply with just a few tweeks on the current power train.
When it comes to Thailand unless you live within the mileage allowed on your vehicle to get back to your home address you could be stranded for days as even rescue trucks do not have the means to assist you apart from towing .

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 6, 2023, 1:25 pm

Coming your way soon.
images (7).jpeg
images (7).jpeg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 3:08 pm

tamada wrote:
June 3, 2023, 7:32 pm
Here's an interesting read from an EV early adopter.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-atkinson
Here's an interesting rebuttal from an EV proponent.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... c-vehicles
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2023, 4:19 pm

Rowan Atkinson is entitled to his (apparently) uninformed opinion, but easily rebutted as above.

For the naysayers and Luddites, here is a map showing every EV charging station in the world. You can easily scroll across to Thailand, and then scroll in and out.

https://www.plugshare.com/

Another one:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 551297&z=6

According to http://www.evat.or.th/attachments/view/ ... _id=273885 there are in excess of 4500 charging points in Thailand.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2023, 4:43 pm

What a surprise, someone from Carbon Brief only mentioning the few benefits of EV whilst totally ignoring all their failures. The benefits he comes up with are also open to debate and are yet to be proven. As for being cheaper in UK there are numerous youtube vids that disprove that (assuming you are an expert at using the numerous different apps reqd and have downloaded the right one). In 10yrs time who is to say synthetic fuels wont have advanced to a level beyond EVs

4500 charging points in Thailand and 20 MILLION registered vehicles thats a f** long wait at 40 mins per charge per car =;

EV's have already found their market .... golf courses/hotel complex/airport ...... stick to what they are best at :-$

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » June 8, 2023, 5:19 pm

Having observed the number of fossil fuel stations being built , perhaps the Thais do not believe in Greata T's uniformed BS.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2023, 5:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 8, 2023, 4:43 pm

4500 charging points in Thailand and 20 MILLION registered vehicles thats a f** long wait at 40 mins per charge per car =;
Well blow me down with a feather - are there really 20 million EVs in Thailand?

statto once again shows his shortcomings when it comes to stats. :-k

As far as synthetic fuels are concerned, will EV development stand still over the next 10 years?
Last edited by jackspratt on June 8, 2023, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2023, 5:40 pm

joudon wrote:
June 8, 2023, 5:19 pm
Having observed the number of fossil fuel stations being built , perhaps the Thais do not believe in Greata T's uniformed BS.
Did you happen to observe how many of these new-build fuel stations have EV charging points included? It seems the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

On another note, when did Greata (sic) start wearing a uniform?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 5:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 8, 2023, 5:40 pm
joudon wrote:
June 8, 2023, 5:19 pm
Did you happen to observe how many of these new-build fuel stations have EV charging points included? It seems the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

On another note, when did Greata (sic) start wearing a uniform?
Big C charging station "completed" still not operating after 10 weeks.

Meanwhile, there are four totally unused EV charge stations outside McDonald's on Chayungkun in Ubon if anyone is desperate.
Screenshot_20230608-175337.png
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2023, 5:59 pm

"and 20 MILLION registered vehicles " No shortcoming there apart from the fact I rounded it down

Not ALL vehicles are EV's

my point being they have 4500 charging points at present but will need close to 1 million if everyone is driving EV's

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2023, 6:06 pm

So by the time everyone is driving EVs, is it possible that:

1. battery efficiency will have improved, thereby increasing vehicle range

2. charging times will have improved, thereby shortening the time required at a charging point

3. many more homes and businesses will have installed private charging points, decreasing the demand on public points

4. etc etc etc?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 8, 2023, 6:44 pm

not my cuppa tea ..much prefer mi stinky old diesel but hyperdermically speaking if was forced to go electric then it would have to be the Volvo xc40 .. mate in Bkk bought one and reckons its brilliant super quick ..too quick he sad ..quick charging and 500km off a full charge.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=volv ... fwzCK0BTy8

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 8, 2023, 8:46 pm

I'm sure EV's will be the future. With much of Mr Bean's environmental claims being debunked (based on a report released by a dummy company who's director just happens to be the boss of Aston Martin's wife!). So the extra emission CO2 emissions from manufacture of an EV compared to a ICE vehicle will be recouped in 2 years of use. Yes, there are problems getting enough Lithium, and recycling of batteries needs to be set up NOW, not only when the waste heaps start growing.

The timescales the UK is trying to achieve are somewhat unrealistic - 2030? They would have to produce/import about 2 million vehicles a year. Getting enough charging points for everyone may be an issue - you need more charging points than petrol pumps, more space needed. Also where will all the electricity come from? I haven't seen a breakdown of how that demand will be met. Also need to upgrade the National power grid - already has issues with trying to connect up solar farms and wind turbines, it will need a lot of investment. The current high price of electricity in the UK also makes the financial motivation to move to an EV minimal. In Thailand, infrastructure for electricity and charging has even bigger demands to meet EV needs.

Other fuels? Hydrogen has very little penetration of the market and would also need a distribution infrastructure - it isn't going to happen this decade, or probably the next. Currently most hydrogen is made from fossil fuels - so negates the CO2 savings. And if you make it by electrolysis and renewable electricity, you waste half the power making it - simpler to just charge an EV directly. Fuel cells would use hydrogen more efficiently, but currently do not withstand the vibrations and bumps of the road well - they have been trying for years to make a reliable, robust, low maintenance fuel cell - hasn't happened yet. Synthetic and biofuels may have a small role, but need a large land area to grow.

It is a bit like VHS and Betamax - you need to capture the market, and only EV's are in a position to do so currently.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2023, 10:22 pm

"it is a bit like VHS and Betamax - you need to capture the market, and only EV's are in a position to do so currently."

Why is that? couldn't possibly be that people in high places making decisions about what is and is not allowed have a financial interest in EV' sales and development.

Oh, and the more people that get conned into EV ownership the more the "powers that be" will screw them

"Electric cars will no longer be exempt from road tax from April 2025, with both the £165 annual flat rate and the £355 ‘Expensive Car Supplement’ for cars costing over £40,000 applying to EVs.

Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced the changes as part of his Autumn Statement, which also saw changes for electric car company car tax revealed."

What a surprise, didnt see that coming? then you are either blind or gullible to the extreem

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2023, 11:41 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 8, 2023, 10:22 pm

Why is that? couldn't possibly be that people in high places making decisions about what is and is not allowed have a financial interest in EV' sales and development.

Oh, and the more people that get conned into EV ownership the more the "powers that be" will screw them
So I guess the "powers that be" are not the same "people in high places making decisions about what is and is not allowed"?

After all, it would be against your own self-interest to start taxing something when you have a financial interest in seeing sales of that something increase.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2023, 2:15 pm

They already have what they want , a govt that says only EV sales after 2030.
No need to tempt punters with lower power costs, no tax, no charge for EV's entering some zones anymore
Punters are either already "hooked" or have no other option

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 9, 2023, 3:52 pm

Heah fellas how did you start talking pounds, road tax, Expensive Car Supplement’ for cars costing over £40,000 applying to EVs under this subject heading of "EV in Thailand"?

People won't mind if another thread is started "EV in the UK" if you want.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 9, 2023, 4:14 pm

Doodoo wrote:
June 9, 2023, 3:52 pm
Heah fellas how did you start talking pounds, road tax, Expensive Car Supplement’ for cars costing over £40,000 applying to EVs under this subject heading of "EV in Thailand"?

People won't mind if another thread is started "EV in the UK" if you want.
Or they could put it in the Hong Kong or Words thread if that suits you, Doodoo.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2023, 5:40 pm

EV usage in Thailand and elsewhere in the world go hand in hand ........ Thailands EV usage depends on other outside matters, its not a stand alone from the rest of the world item

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 9, 2023, 9:29 pm

I thought I would ask, who on this Forum has sunk his cash into the purchase of an EV

Any takers :-k :-k

I will be the first to admit "Not me"

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “Open Forum”