EV in Thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

EV in Thailand

Post by stattointhailand » April 30, 2023, 4:57 pm

Assuming that at some time in the near future they manage to produce EVs in Thailand that will be able to negotiate the annual floods without the batteries bursting into flames, and everyone is forced to drive EVs as its the only option, I wonder if they are going to strengthen multi storey car parks /bridges etc to allow for the extra weight, or if they will just limit the amount of cars able to park :-k

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: EV in Thailand

Post by Doodoo » April 30, 2023, 5:06 pm

I would think that you and I wont have to worry about ALL people driving EV's It is decades and decades away if there are enough raw materials available in the world and the electrical infrastructure available to charge all these vehicles.

Another indicator are the number of gas stations being built in Thailand example is the new one just west of Makro. They aren't built recharging stations by the looks of it

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 30, 2023, 7:04 pm

Farkin' hell, statts - I thought that we had already established that EVs don't catch on fire just because they encounter water.

Just a heads up - you (nor I) will be around to worry about when EVs become compulsory.

I also recognise that you may just be trolling - which you sometimes like to claim ex post facto.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 30, 2023, 7:20 pm

MG seem to have a jump on the EV market in LOS, plenty of current models available.

More chance of it blowing up from a dodgy electrical connection on the charging station than getting wet Statts. Especially with the cheaper Chinese batteries in an MG ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2023, 7:32 pm

Here's an interesting read from an EV early adopter.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-atkinson
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 4, 2023, 8:13 am

Problems with registering and insuring EV's in Thailand?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296645-road ... t-18118508

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 4, 2023, 9:29 am

Doodoo wrote:
April 30, 2023, 5:06 pm
I would think that you and I wont have to worry about ALL people driving EV's It is decades and decades away if there are enough raw materials available in the world and the electrical infrastructure available to charge all these vehicles.

Another indicator are the number of gas stations being built in Thailand example is the new one just west of Makro. They aren't built recharging stations by the looks of it
A friend in BKK recently bought a Tesla model S. He thought charging points would be an issue and did say could do with a few more 'supercharger stations' but the third party chargers where abundant. He reckons that one of the early adopter challenges are more to do with internal cumbustion motorists parking in the EV charge point spots since parking always seems to be a problem in the big mango.

He said Tesla handled the registration, white plates and Krungsri Auto handled the financing which as many do, gave him 1st insurance free for a year.

I bought a petrol/LPG Suzuki Carry in 2016. The registration and white plates took over 6 months to be completed due to dealer incompetence as the sales person went off for maternity leave. I think finding a dealer with a good reputation and robust systems in place may be a factor for any vehicle purchase.
NOTE: That Udon Suzuki dealer location is now a BYD EV showroom.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 4, 2023, 10:09 am

I'm a fan of diesels. New diesels run clean and are fairly quiet besides being more efficient. I have a 4X4 3.0 liter Isuzu. It has been flawless and gets 15 kilometers per liter fuel economy and it has big power.

I think more research should be done on diesels to make them run even cleaner. There are no EV's in my future. The one exception is electric fork lifts. The huge heavy battery gives them an advantage for lifting heavy objects. Each shift driver puts the used battery on the charger and puts in a fully charged deep cycle battery. With the electric hoist, changing the battery takes about 5 minutes.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2023, 11:21 am

Still think the main problem with EVs is the charging, If Im going to Samui I would need to stop possibly FIVE times to refuel at 40 mins a stop, meaning I'm stopped still (going nowhere) for 200 minutes (assuming you dont have to wait and a re charger is available immediately ........ with a diesel thats a 5 min stop to refill once and two Piss stops. So that has added 3 hrs to my journey time.
Currently I can leave home in the early morning and be on the last ferry of the day to Koh Chang with ease. If I have to spent an extra hour or hour and a half going nowhere whilst recharging car. I have missed the last ferry and have to stay in a hotel on the mainland or leave home in the middle of the night.
When recharging a battery takes 5 mins or less and one charge can go 650 - 700km then EV's may be a consideration

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 4, 2023, 1:23 pm

Plus you need to slow down to avoid every single road puddle along the way. :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2023, 2:34 pm

Yeah, have to have a chuckle when I think back to what was possible 20 yrs ago.
Udon to Don Sak (1250 km) 13 1/2 hrs (inc stops)
Middle of the night, no traffic, foot down and go .......... almost unthinkable that you could maintain 140+KPH on Thai road No 4 for over an hour at a time without slowing

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 4, 2023, 2:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 4, 2023, 1:23 pm
Plus you need to slow down to avoid every single road puddle along the way. :-"
How's that Morris Mini working out for you?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2023, 3:57 pm

Rumour has it the potholes in downtown Patters are proving a problem

Minihole.png

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 4, 2023, 5:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2023, 11:21 am
Still think the main problem with EVs is the charging, If Im going to Samui I would need to stop possibly FIVE times to refuel at 40 mins a stop, meaning I'm stopped still (going nowhere) for 200 minutes (assuming you dont have to wait and a re charger is available immediately ........ with a diesel thats a 5 min stop to refill once and two Piss stops. So that has added 3 hrs to my journey time.
Currently I can leave home in the early morning and be on the last ferry of the day to Koh Chang with ease. If I have to spent an extra hour or hour and a half going nowhere whilst recharging car. I have missed the last ferry and have to stay in a hotel on the mainland or leave home in the middle of the night.
When recharging a battery takes 5 mins or less and one charge can go 650 - 700km then EV's may be a consideration
Agree with Statts. It's going to be another 10 years (my guess) before we have EV's with a good range and quick charging.

Currently an EV would be a good second car for the wife for pottering about the city. Put it on charge at home overnight. Never need to worry about using a charging station.
Keep a petrol, diesel as a main vehicle for long trips.

I also worry about the life span of an EV. If you bought a Tesla today how many years before your batteries need to be replaced and how much is the cost? Tesla claim around 20 years and $20K but that is unproven and assumes perfect conditions.
Good luck trying to sell a 15 year old EV for anything more than value of spares :-k

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 4, 2023, 8:51 pm

Galee wrote:
June 4, 2023, 8:13 am
Problems with registering and insuring EV's in Thailand?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296645-road ... t-18118508

Then there is the infrastructure required to charge the EVs.

Take some of the more densely populated areas of Bangkok such as Sukhumvit, where they have enough problems just keeping the lights on at night, due to the power demands. I wonder how the Thai's will cope in the highly densely populated areas, when the majority of the vehicle owners all decide to charge their cars at night-time. I suspect the Sukhumvit Power Network/System, from the Cables, back to Transformers back to Substations, will need a bit of an upgrade to cope with the increase in demand. I suppose the Common Fees on each Condo will go up.

Then comes the needed upgrade incoming mains into each Condo Building. I suppose the Common Fees on each Condo will go up.

Then take the 200 No plus Apartment Building dotted throughout the Sukhumvit and whether the Juristic will even allow the cars to be charged in the basement car park areas, due to perceived fire risk and increased building insurance cost. I suppose the Common Fees on each Condo will go up.

Someone will have to Pay. :-k :-$
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 4, 2023, 9:29 pm

EVs are crap ... lets talk again in 5 yrs
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2023, 9:31 pm

But doesnt the fact that we save an increase of 0.000001% of a degree in global warming pay for it?

or does the fact that politicians/CEO's etc will take hundreds more short haul flights rather than hanging around 40 mins a time to get the battery charged, cancel any benefit?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2023, 9:34 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 4, 2023, 9:29 pm
Would have thought after 5 yrs everyone will have realised they are crap and they were being conned:-k

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 6, 2023, 6:05 am

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296949-govt ... _source=NL

Govt Urged to Extend EV Subsidies to Incentivize Domestic Production

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 6, 2023, 7:38 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2023, 9:34 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 4, 2023, 9:29 pm
Would have thought after 5 yrs everyone will have realised they are crap and they were being conned:-k
I was thinking more so when the technology has moved on considerably ... including a single charge takes less than 5 minutes (if you can find a point and theres not a stinky diesel parked in it whilst getting a mama noodle at the PTT 7 11) and can last 1000s kms or even the roof panel on the car is a continuous charge solar panel ...you know easy stuff like that.

At moment i just see EVs as a face thing , at best a runabout town or go to work locally car thats screams look at me.

I know a few ppl with hybrids .. one are two are happy with them but most are not and have had issues even with the higher end BMs n Mercs ...

IMO going by the reports and reviews plus mate in Bkk who has one reckons VOLVO EV is way out in front and MG no too bad either.

As previous post give it another 5 to 10 years and we shall see.

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Open Forum”