Getting on the Panel

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Getting on the Panel

Post by Fuzzy Ken » March 24, 2023, 10:27 am

This question is for UK citizens working in the 1960s and maybe earlier.

I recall visiting my GP during the 1960s, with various afflictions and being given a “sick note” which in some way would entitle me to get onto what we called “the panel” to receive sick benefit if you needed more than a few days off work. If my memory serves me well, I think that this benefit was paid by postal order

Can anyone recall any of this ? Not sure, but I think it came to an end in 1983.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: Getting on the Panel

Post by BillaRickaDickay » March 24, 2023, 2:19 pm

I remember the terminology and that it was for long term illness, maybe to get on the panel it was a requirement to be assessed by more than one doctor, ie a Panel, if judged to be incapable of work then benefits forth coming.
I was lucky to be a Civil Servant at the time and had two weeks annual paid holiday and 5 days paid sick leave. A Union Rep would soon be on your case if your yearly allocation of sick days had not been taken.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 25, 2023, 10:38 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
March 24, 2023, 2:19 pm
A Union Rep would soon be on your case if your yearly allocation of sick days had not been taken.
Really?

It would be interesting to hear Stattos take on this.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » March 25, 2023, 12:07 pm

samster wrote:
March 25, 2023, 10:38 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
March 24, 2023, 2:19 pm
A Union Rep would soon be on your case if your yearly allocation of sick days had not been taken.
Really?

It would be interesting to hear Stattos take on this.
Yeh, the fear was that if no one took the sick days then the Perk would be withdrawn.
I think it was gradually phased out as proper holiday awards were increased to 3 weeks.
In those days some good work was done by the Unions along side the well publicised negatives.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » March 25, 2023, 10:45 pm

Many thanks for the input so far, much appreciated.

I started work in the UK in 1960 and rarely had a day off in 43 years of work.

However, on the odd occasion of illness, my GP gave a me sick note which in some way entitled me to receive sick benefit after an initial 3 days off work. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that I had to give a portion of the sicknote to my employer and at some point, received postal orders to the value of the benefit. A similar exercise would follow, should I need additional time off. I simply cannot remember what the various limits were.

I would be interested to here from anyone that benefited from the system all those years ago.
Thanks
Ken

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » March 26, 2023, 8:06 am

How times have changed. I'm a member of a great union. I get 11 weeks a year annual leave with a 17% leave loading, 15 days a year sick leave, 5 without certificate, which accumulate if you don't use them and 10 weeks long service leave pro rata after 7 years of service. We have about 85% union membership at my workplace. Workers can achieve a fair bit when we stick together and get the job done.
Watch Me!!

Return to “Open Forum”