A shift to secularism

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

A shift to secularism

Post by Whistler » March 4, 2023, 11:06 am

I read an American article yesterday from a Left-wing publication (so an inherent bias) about the shrinking Christian base in the USA, church attendance has shrunk to an all-time low as is almost every other facet of belief, then today, this

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5co7y.html

IMHO secularism is like the battle against racism, a fightback against a group trying to force their own views on society as a whole A group that quote their ancient religious books, being utterly convinced that they are divinely driven to enforce their beliefs through religious activism.

In the West, we abhor the excess apparent in the middle east, torturous deaths, suppression of women, suppression of minorities, and secular massacres. We equally abhor the awful treatment of the Rohingyas and Ugyars in Asia, the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans and the horrors in many parts of Africa. Perhaps, some local issues as well, but best not to go there. At the same time, many have been quite muted about Christian fundamentalism.

I suspect we are now seeing the tide turn, the Christian lobby is very active and often cynically manipulated by right-wing politicians. Seems now, that influence is on the wane.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: A shift to secularism

Post by Khun Paul » March 4, 2023, 11:39 am

Whistler wrote:
March 4, 2023, 11:06 am
I read an American article yesterday from a Left-wing publication (so an inherent bias) about the shrinking Christian base in the USA, church attendance has shrunk to an all-time low as is almost every other facet of belief, then today, this

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5co7y.html

IMHO secularism is like the battle against racism, a fightback against a group trying to force their own views on society as a whole A group that quote their ancient religious books, being utterly convinced that they are divinely driven to enforce their beliefs through religious activism.

In the West, we abhor the excess apparent in the middle east, torturous deaths, suppression of women, suppression of minorities, and secular massacres. We equally abhor the awful treatment of the Rohingyas and Ugyars in Asia, the ethnic cleansing in the Balkans and the horrors in many parts of Africa. Perhaps, some local issues as well, but best not to go there. At the same time, many have been quite muted about Christian fundamentalism.

I suspect we are now seeing the tide turn, the Christian lobby is very active and often cynically manipulated by right-wing politicians. Seems now, that influence is on the wane.

Return to “Open Forum”