WORDS

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: WORDS

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2023, 5:19 pm

Can I ask a question?

What is the point of this thread?

It's just a list of obscure words nobody ever uses.

If I used any of them in day to day life, nobody would know what I was talking about and would have to look the bl**dy word up in the dictionary anyway, so that would be pointless. I've gone 70 years without needing to know what vicissitudes meant and I doubt that anyone will use it in the total number of years I have left, so I really dont see why anyone needs to know what it means. If you want to sound clever, then nearly every comp/phone has a dictionary where you can find hundreds of "look at me i'm clever words" to use instead of basic English that everyone understands

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 27, 2023, 5:29 pm

Never too old to learn something new, statts.

You can also just eschew this thread if you are feeling discombobulated. 8)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2023, 6:11 pm

What are you learning?

Words that you aint gonna use coz nobody will understand what your saying

A list of words is called a dictionary not a forum

No problem if the words are ones that might be understood and could be used, but most of these are so obscure nobody would ever use them

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 27, 2023, 6:20 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 27, 2023, 6:11 pm
No problem if the words are ones that might be understood and could be used, but most of these are so obscure nobody would ever use them
I use plenty of words that I've seen highlighted in this thread. And some people may be interested in expanding their vocabulary.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 27, 2023, 6:40 pm

"No problem if the words are ones that might be understood and could be used, but most of these are so obscure nobody would ever use them"

Apologies for trying to education a few of us Rednecks up here in the Northeast of Thai.
For those few Simpletons I will post some words for them For those that disagree with my selection there are two options A) Start you own posting B) Dont read the WORDS posting that I post

Good reading

Simple words for youz all

Gun
/ɡən/
noun
a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.
muscular arms; well-developed biceps muscles:
informal
"it's encouraging to note that Schwarzenegger wasn't born with massive guns"
verb

cause (an engine) to race:
"as Neil gunned the engine the boat jumped forward"

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 27, 2023, 7:52 pm

One word that has been in the news
Handing out $5 million dollars and selling houses for a dollar, San Francisco Called
"Rep·a·ra·tion
/ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun

the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged:
"the courts required a convicted offender to make financial reparation to his victim"
the action of repairing something:
archaic
"the old hall was pulled down to avoid the cost of reparation"

San Francisco could become the first major US city to fund reparations, under a plan that would award $5m (£4m) to each eligible black resident. A city-appointed panel also suggests guaranteed annual incomes of $97,000 for qualifying recipients and homes in San Francisco for $1 a family.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2023, 8:07 pm

Udon Map wrote:
April 27, 2023, 6:20 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
I use plenty of words that I've seen highlighted in this thread. And some people may be interested in expanding their vocabulary.
Sorry, but I have probably read tens of thousands of posts on this forum, on god knows how many different subjects in the 15 or so years I have been a member, and I'm pretty sure, I can safely say I have not seen the words highlighted in this thread used once. Yes it's possible to use them on another platform, but is there anyone out there who would be prepared to take the risk of using a word because they saw it on udonmap? at least without first checking their dictionary to see if it was correct =; That's why they invented dictionaries :-k :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 27, 2023, 8:17 pm

Good lord, statts - the very first word on this thread:

"onerous"

search.php?keywords=onerous

And the second:

"Tantamount"

search.php?keywords=Tantamount

I'll leave it there. :D

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 27, 2023, 8:21 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 27, 2023, 8:07 pm
Udon Map wrote:
April 27, 2023, 6:20 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
Sorry, but I have probably read tens of thousands of posts on this forum, on god knows how many different subjects in the 15 or so years I have been a member, and I'm pretty sure, I can safely say I have not seen the words highlighted in this thread used once. Yes it's possible to use them on another platform, but is there anyone out there who would be prepared to take the risk of using a word because they saw it on udonmap? at least without first checking their dictionary to see if it was correct =; That's why they invented dictionaries :-k :lol:
I'm talking about my vocabulary generally, not limited to Udon Map.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 27, 2023, 8:36 pm

Here are some words that have been posted, simple words for your pleasure

"The most recent controversial word is 'woke'." You posted Feb 23 and one we have seen and heard of numerous times in the NEWS.
"Nurture" feb 25 Come on now "to Nurture"
"Whining" Feb 26 Surely you would have remembered this one and used it periodically
"FRESCO" A word that most recognize if you had some education
"vindicate"

I will stop here as I have shown you that various words have been shown and used in daily discussions

Again on Feb 26 "'If people do like cut and paste , dont read it'" apparently you are for some reason not comprehending the words in sentence form.

So, in closing
"Hope this helps"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2023, 9:09 pm

That's much better ...... words people might actually be able to use in everyday life, or may have not been confident enough to use. Much better than words that only a reporter/solicitor/barrister/etc would use because they knew nobody would understand them and it would make them look more hiso than they were :lol:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 27, 2023, 9:13 pm

Statt
Those WORDS were already posted in this thread, get with the program
AS for the other words maybe it is time to LEARN a bit.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 28, 2023, 7:01 am

Yes, you will find them useful on the soccer threads when you bamboozle the Liverpool chaps with your newly acquired hi-so grasp of the English language.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 28, 2023, 9:14 am

I am frankly amazed at the current tone of this post, too often the so-called intelligentsia have derided and openly chastised some posters on their vocabulary and often also grammar .

Vocabuary is not a problem and it is NOT CONFNED TO as one poster put i to hisos. Many people use words often used n their work environment which to many would never be used.

Communication is the key , if a person does not understand what you say, it is you that has failed to communicate, not their inability to understand .

Minor spelling errors or grammatical errors can be ignored as it is often a sign of pettiness for people to comment negatively. , There are slight differences BETWEEN what is percieved to be the Queens english and other countries where english is the main language, pedsonally I REsort to ascetaining the meaning by use of dictionaries physically or on-line. Many search engines do NOT check and verify what is placed on them thereby creating a vast pool of information which is incorrect more so especially when it comes to meanings of words and their derivation so when you check always used a site that does check and verify.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 28, 2023, 11:07 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 9:14 am
... if a person does not understand what you say, it is you that has failed to communicate, not their inability to understand.
Really. So miscommunication is ALWAYS the fault of the speaker, and NEVER the fault of the listener.

Wow. I learn something new every day. :roll:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2023, 11:24 am

UM this would be difficult in the Thai society deciding who is at fault.
Example, the other day 4 Thai women were sitting around discussing God knows what and I interrupted asking how they could discuss an issue if they were all talking at the same time. 2 of them answered quickly "OH, we don't listen to each other!!"
Issue resolved
This is what I believe is the way they maintain a kind and welcoming society

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 28, 2023, 11:48 am

Doodoo wrote:
April 28, 2023, 11:24 am
UM this would be difficult in the Thai society deciding who is at fault.
One of the many reasons why it's impossible to say that it's always the fault of the listener or of the speaker. It's dependent on so many factors.

And I don't believe that it's constructive or helpful to spend time assessing blame or fault. If there is a miscommunication, it seems to me that the time is better spent remedying it.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2023, 11:58 am

The hashtag symbol is technically called an octothorpe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 28, 2023, 5:15 pm

arboreal

adjective | ahr-BOR-ee-ul

What It Means

Arboreal is a literary term that means “of or relating to trees.” It can also mean “living in or often found in trees,” as in “arboreal monkeys.”

Despite taking weekly hikes on the same trail, she never ceases to be amazed by the forest’s arboreal beauty.

AND for those who dont want to handle the big words

apple

/ˈapl/
noun

the round fruit of a tree of the rose family, which typically has thin green or red skin and crisp flesh.
the tree bearing apples, with hard pale timber that is used in carpentry and to smoke food.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 28, 2023, 6:07 pm

Udon Map wrote:
April 28, 2023, 11:07 am
Khun Paul wrote:
April 28, 2023, 9:14 am
... if a person does not understand what you say, it is you that has failed to communicate, not their inability to understand.
Really. So miscommunication is ALWAYS the fault of the speaker, and NEVER the fault of the listener.

Wow. I learn something new every day. :roll:
Yep it is the definition of Comunication obviously NOT taught in those American Universities

Return to “Open Forum”