WORDS

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: WORDS

Post by Doodoo » May 13, 2023, 4:40 pm

florescence
noun | flor-ESS-unss

What It Means

Florescence refers to a state or period of being in bloom or of flourishing.

She remarked in her lecture on the florescence of Renaissance art and technology.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 13, 2023, 6:22 pm

Sto·ic
/ˈstōik/
noun

a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.
a member of the ancient philosophical school of Stoicism.
adjective

another term for stoical
of or belonging to the Stoics or their school of philosophy:
"the Stoic philosophers"

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 14, 2023, 4:31 pm

engender

verb | in-JEN-der

What It Means

Engender is a formal word that means “to produce; to cause to exist or to develop.” It is used especially when feelings and ideas are generated.

The annual company picnic featured activities, such as a scavenger hunt, meant to engender a sense of teamwork and camaraderie among employees.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 14, 2023, 6:28 pm

Sven·ga·li
/svenˈɡälē/
noun

a person who exercises a controlling or mesmeric influence on another, especially for a sinister purpose.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 14, 2023, 6:30 pm

Moiety

NOUN
Each of two parts into which a thing is or can be divided.

A part or portion, especially a lesser share.

EXAMPLE SENTENCES
“Instead of the full bone, I gave a moiety of the treat to each of my dogs.”

“Each member of the team delivered a moiety of the final presentation.”

“I was disappointed to receive a moiety of the dessert, but I was last in line at the buffet.”

WORD ORIGIN
French, 15th century

“Moiety” entered Middle English from Old French, but its roots are in Latin — specifically the word “medius,” which means “middle.” However, the word “moiety” doesn’t always mean the parts meet perfectly in the middle of the whole. Often, “moiety” refers to the lesser share of divided portions.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 14, 2023, 7:04 pm

I will have to pull my socks up as I enjoyed the part of "Word Origin"

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 15, 2023, 5:20 pm

maudlin adjective
| MAUD-lin

What It Means

Maudlin describes someone or something that expresses sadness or sentimentality in an exaggerated way.

The class had a hard time taking the maudlin poetry seriously.

c. 1600, "tearful, weeping" (a sense now obsolete), from Middle English fem. proper name Maudelen (early 14c.), from Magdalene (Old French Madelaine), woman's name, who in the Middle Ages was believed to be identical with the repentant sinner forgiven by Jesus in Luke vii.37 (see Magdalene). Thus in paintings, she often was shown weeping as a sign of repentance. Meaning "characterized by tearful sentimentality, over-emotional" is recorded by 1630s. Also in old slang "tipsy, foolish from drink" (by 1700), from maudlin-drunk (1610s) "in the sentimental and tearful stage of intoxication

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 16, 2023, 5:04 pm

disapprobation

noun | dis-ap-ruh-BAY-shun

What It Means

Disapprobation refers to the act or state of disapproving or of being disapproved of.
There was widespread disapprobation of the city's plan to slash educational funding.

Origin
"I now *hasten* to the more moving part of my story." 7. We can answer this by tracing origin of the word approbation to the Latin word approbare meaning originaly "to prove", and later "to approve". In the context of the verb approbation, it denotes giving someone or something approval or praise, which renders approbation and approval synonyms.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 16, 2023, 6:48 pm

Bur·goo
/ˌbərˈɡo͞o/
noun

a stew or thick soup, typically made for an outdoor meal.

an outdoor meal at which burgoo is served.

a thick porridge.
Word Origin
from Arabic burġul (see burghul).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NcWU0xTog

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 17, 2023, 7:58 pm

rarefied

adjective | RAIR-uh-fyde

What It Means

Something described as rarefied is understood or appreciated by only a small or select group of people; the word is a synonym of esoteric. Rarefied can also be used technically to mean “being less dense,” a use that is typically applied to air that has less oxygen in it because of high elevation.

She has never been comfortable in the rarefied world of art dealers.

The climbers knew that breathing in the rarefied air near the mountain's peak would be difficult.

ORIGIN
Latin
Rarefied was formed from the verb rarefy, which derives from a combination of the Latin rarus ("thin" or "rare") with facere ("to make") and has meant "to make thin" since the 14th century.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 18, 2023, 5:16 pm

zephyr
noun | ZEFF-er

What It Means

A zephyr is a breeze blowing from the west. More loosely, a zephyr can be any gentle breeze.

We were relieved when a zephyr blew in just as the heat of the day was peaking, allowing us to remain comfortably on the beach for a little while longer.

Word Origin
late Old Englishzefferus, denoting a personification of the west wind, via Latin from Greek zephuros ‘(god of the) west wind’. Sense 1 dates from the late 17th century.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 18, 2023, 5:34 pm

Well I'll be blowed - I always thought this was a zephyr.
1964_Ford_Zephyr.jpg
In fact, I used to own one.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 19, 2023, 11:29 am

Zed Victor One to BD... over?

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 19, 2023, 4:36 pm

censure

verb | SEN-sher

What It Means

To censure someone is to formally criticize or reprimand them for an act or failure, especially from a position of authority.

He was censured by the committee for his failure to report the problem.

Word Origin
late Middle English (in the sense ‘judicial sentence’): from Old French censurer (verb), censure (noun), from Latin censura ‘judgement, assessment’, from censere ‘assess’.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 20, 2023, 4:39 pm

telegenic

adjective | tel-uh-JEN-ik

What It Means

Someone or something described as telegenic is well-suited to the medium of television. Telegenic is often used to describe people whose appearance or manners are particularly attractive to television viewers.

Her favorite actor is so telegenic that he can make a bad series enjoyable.

photogenic (adj.)
1839, "produced or caused by light," from photo- "light" + -genic "produced by." Originally in photogenic drawing, the early term for "photography;" meaning "photographing well" is first attested 1928, from photo- as short for "photograph."

television (n.)
1907, as a theoretical system to transmit moving images over telegraph or telephone wires; formed in English or borrowed from French télévision, from tele- + vision

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 21, 2023, 5:05 pm

gamut

noun | GAM-ut

What It Means

A gamut is a range or series of related things. When we say that something “runs the gamut,” we are saying that it encompasses an entire range of related things.

I adore licorice, mints, lollipops, candy corn—the whole gamut of penny candy.

On that fateful day, her emotions ran the gamut from joy to despair.

Word Origin
late Middle English: from medieval Latin gamma ut, originally the name of the lowest note in the medieval scale (bass G an octave and a half below middle C), then applied to the whole range of notes used in medieval music. The Greek letter Γ (gamma) was used for bass G, with ut indicating that it was the first note in the lowest of the hexachords or six-note scales

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 22, 2023, 5:08 pm

officious

adjective | uh-FISH-us

What It Means

Officious typically describes a person who tends to offer unwanted advice in a way that annoys the advice recipients. It is a synonym of meddlesome.

After the boss told his workers what to do, his officious assistant stepped in to micromanage.

Word Origin
late 15th century: from Latin officiosus ‘obliging’, from officium (see office). The original sense was ‘performing its function, efficacious’, whence ‘ready to help or please’ (mid 16th century), later becoming depreciatory (late 16th century).

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 23, 2023, 4:39 pm

bower

noun | BOW-er

What It Means

Bower is a literary word that usually refers to a garden shelter made with tree boughs or vines twined together.

Resting in the shade of the bower was the perfect way to cool off during the hot summer afternoon.

Old English bur "room, hut, dwelling, chamber," from Proto-Germanic *bowan (source also of Old Norse bur "chamber," Swedish bur "cage," Old Danish both "dwelling, stall," Old Saxon bur "a house; a cage," Old High German bur "dwelling, chamber," buan "to dwell," German Vogelbauer "cage" for a bird), from PIE root *bheue- "to be, exist, grow."

The modern spelling developed after mid-14c. The sense of "leafy arbor" (place closed in, shaded, or sheltered by trees) is attested from 1520s. Hence, too, Australia's bower-bird (1847), so called for the ornamented play-houses it builds.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 24, 2023, 6:57 pm

adumbrate

verb | AD-um-brayt

What It Means

Adumbrate is a formal verb with several meanings that all have to do with figurative shadows. It can mean “to foreshadow vaguely,” as in “a childhood interest in ants that adumbrated a career in biology”; it can mean “to suggest or outline partially,” as in “a few sentences that adumbrate the plan”; and it can mean “to overshadow or obscure,” as in “a cheerfulness not adumbrated by difficult circumstances.”
The movie's most impressive feat was to pull off a plot twist perfectly adumbrated by one rather forgettable scene.

The first chapter of the graphic novel deftly adumbrates her earliest memories.

The joyous occasion was adumbrated by knowledge of what the next day was to bring.

Word Origin
late 16th century: from Latin adumbrat- ‘shaded’, from the verb adumbrare, from ad- ‘to’ (as an intensifier) + umbrare ‘cast a shadow’ (from umbra ‘shade’).

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 25, 2023, 9:09 am

Typoglycemia

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “Open Forum”