climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by pipoz4444 » October 28, 2022, 12:28 am

It is the Culture of the human race, that is the problem.

Industries such as shipping and others, that rely heavily on the use fossil fuels, have grown up to support that Culture, over the last 100 years and are still growing in the same way today. That alone should indicate something.

To change the culture of consumption of the human race will take much more that 30 years in my humble opinion, and it is unlikely that myself and others, here, will be around to see it, if it does happen, so the point is somewhat moot.

Then you have countries in turmoil, countries with no or broken social system, countries without functioning health systems, countries where people are starving or barely scraping enough together each day to feed their families, an expanding gap between those who have and have not, child labour and trafficking, counties with high unemployment, countries that are virtually bankrupt due to ineffective and incompetent governments, organizations that steal or waste money, all of which impacts on the daily lives of most "every day people", and what they perceive as their immediate priorities in life.

They have to live now with their struggles and not in the future. :-k :-k :-k I just wonder how many of these "every day people" even understand the term "Climate Change" or even care as they try to work out where their next meal is coming from. :-k

A recent quote:

“You'll never solve climate change by asking people to consume less. And climate change advocates often advocate using less and consuming less as one potential solution to climate change — degrowth, it's often called. This idea is quixotic.

I don’t think it’s realistic to say that people are utterly going to change their lifestyle because of concerns about climate.

You can have a cultural revolution where you’re trying to throw everything up, you can create a North Korean-type situation where the states in control. Other than immense central authority to have people just obey, I think the collective action problem is just completely not solvable.

Most individuals are not going to change their individual behavior in ways that make them less comfortable for the benefit of a global problem.

Anyone who says that we will tell people to stop eating meat, or stop wanting to have a nice house, and we’ll just basically change human desires, I think that that’s too difficult. You can make a case for it. But I don’t think it’s realistic for that to play an absolutely central role.

Even if those countries and individuals who have enough abundance in their life and are able to cut back, that won’t be enough reduction of greenhouse gas emissions to sufficiently rein in climate change.

Just having a few rich countries, a few rich companies and a few rich individuals buy their way out so they can say they’re not part of the problem, that has nothing to do with solving the problem.

There are a slew of other issues competing for attention and dollars, including the global pandemic, rising health care costs, aiding poor countries for issues besides climate change, and the war in Ukraine, too.

People who are in the climate space may not realize how many things are competing for the modest amount of increased resources that society has and that not that many people are prepared to be worse off because of climate requirements.

The solution is creating better technological alternatives where it is the same price or cheaper to accomplish the same goal in a climate-conscious way, to make meaningful change on climate change, that green premium has to slowly reduced and then eliminated in all sectors of the economy.

When people, we love your climate stuff, because we can tell Putin we don’t need him. I say, ‘Yeah, 10 years from now. Call him up and tell him you don’t need him. Between now and then, the European Union may need to fall back on fossil fuels.

In the long run, finding new ways of supporting people is the only feasible solution. I’m looking at what the world has to do to get to zero, not using climate as a moral crusade”.

End of quote :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on November 1, 2022, 10:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 28, 2022, 1:48 am

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 3, 2022, 9:44 am

thousands of hectares of coral at the Abrolhos Islands off the West Australian coast have been bleached after a combination of weather conditions repeatedly exposed the coral to strong cold winds.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 3, 2022, 12:26 pm

I understand that this is an El Nina year as well with whatever localised climate impacts that attracts. Sitting here on Enderby Island and reading that El Nina's cooler waters typically means an increased expectancy of cyclones ripping up the Pilbara.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 3, 2022, 12:52 pm

Here is an article from ABC News, which makes no association between the Abrolhos coral bleaching, and climate change.
Perfect storm of weather events sees coral bleached at Abrolhos Islands off West Australian coast

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-03/ ... /101608748

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 3, 2022, 6:50 pm

Looks like we are pretty much doomed then. How is the climate bunker in the scottish highlands coming along, Tam?

In other news, all African glaciers (yes, they do have a few) are expected to disappear by 2050 and this October was the warmest one on record in Europe

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 4, 2022, 11:09 am

The Economist claim that Climate Change is already too advanced to meet Paris agreement to limit temp rises of 1.5 degrees. Goodbye Bangkok, Jakarta, Miami, and a whole lot more.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2022/ ... id=1377633
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 4, 2022, 2:42 pm

rick wrote:
November 3, 2022, 6:50 pm
Looks like we are pretty much doomed then. How is the climate bunker in the scottish highlands coming along, Tam?

In other news, all African glaciers (yes, they do have a few) are expected to disappear by 2050 and this October was the warmest one on record in Europe
Just waiting for the air conditioning to be fitted at the clan cave.

I thought it was ALL glaciers?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 23, 2022, 10:09 am

The latest report from the CSIRO on climate change in Australia.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2022/11 ... 2020221123

For those sceptics who talk about climate being cyclical from natural causes. This reports that CO2 levels are the highest in two million years, this greenhouse gas has increased temperatures by nearly 1.5 degrees since 1910. Intense weather patterns, more frequent and more powerful bushfire are already being experienced, coral bleaching is at an unprecedented level and sealevels have already started to rise.

Despite this, with scientific observations to back the findings up, there will still be climate change deniers on this site and throughout the world who will stubbornly cling to their denial stance despite any evidence to back up those views
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2022, 10:15 am

Whistler wrote:
November 23, 2022, 10:09 am

Despite this, with scientific observations to back the findings up, there will still be climate change deniers on this site and throughout the world who will stubbornly cling to their denial stance despite any evidence to back up those views
It's a strange old world, isn't it, when the deniers belief in their politics trumps their belief in science. :-k

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 23, 2022, 11:10 am

The world still stands “on the brink of climate catastrophe” after the deal reached at the Cop27 UN climate summit on Sunday, and the biggest economies must make fresh commitments to cut greenhouse gas emissions, climate experts and campaigners have warned.
the outcome was widely judged a failure on efforts to cut carbon dioxide, after oil-producing countries and high emitters weakened and removed key commitments on greenhouse gases and phasing out fossil fuels.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 23, 2022, 11:13 am

On a more important note the noosard household will be carbon neutral with the growing of trees and installation of solar panels

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 23, 2022, 12:18 pm

noosard wrote:
November 23, 2022, 11:13 am
On a more important note the noosard household will be carbon neutral with the growing of trees and installation of solar panels
bet the kids are not looking forward to the bicycle rides to school. plus the wife must be ecstatic about washing clothes by hand. next veganism, that might be a bit hard to swallow for your tribe
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » November 23, 2022, 12:49 pm

Meanwhile! According to my learned friend, and Google checked, the world population passed the 8 billion mark on November the 15th.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 12:51 pm

noosard wrote:
November 23, 2022, 11:13 am
Good effort.

Now, what about all that hot air?

Asking for a friend.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 12:52 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
November 23, 2022, 12:49 pm
Meanwhile! According to my learned friend, and Google checked, the world population passed the 8 billion mark on November the 15th.
Yes! And what's more, I was there!!!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2022, 12:54 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote: ↑November 23, 2022, 12:49 pm

NEWS Australia's population after November 15 is 8 Billion minus 1

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 12:58 pm

noosard wrote:
November 23, 2022, 11:10 am
The world still stands “on the brink of climate catastrophe” after the deal reached at the Cop27 UN climate summit on Sunday, and the biggest economies must make fresh commitments to cut greenhouse gas emissions, climate experts and campaigners have warned.
the outcome was widely judged a failure on efforts to cut carbon dioxide, after oil-producing countries and high emitters weakened and removed key commitments on greenhouse gases and phasing out fossil fuels.
Any country in particular getting beat up on for reneging on promises? I recall last year at COP26 in Glasgow, Mohdi and the Indians were taking some stick for getting the words "elimination of coal" erased from the final 'agreement'.

With Putin queering the energy pitch since Glasgow, nobody's going to stick their heads above the parapet on proscribing any energy source and impairing their own national security at the moment. This bad news for Vanuatu who really don't have a dog in the fight unless they do something radical like invite North Korea to install ICBM's on their sinking paradise.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2022, 1:04 pm

Meanwhile, only six days after Jim Morrison, lead singer and lyricist of The Doors, was found dead in his bathtub in Paris, France.
meanwhile in 1971.jpg
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

Doodoo wrote:
November 23, 2022, 12:54 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote: ↑November 23, 2022, 12:49 pm

NEWS Australia's population after November 15 is 8 Billion minus 1
[/quote
You mean the world pop is 8 billion less 1according to an Aussie news source

Return to “Open Forum”