climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2023, 11:30 am

Thats a little cynical tam, we had to rise up after two world wars in short succession , maybe we were lucky we could see the enemy and dealt with it, today the enemy is how the Humans habitating the earth, with gay abandon or with intelligence and judging from what I have seen intelligence is not that high .

There will I am sure come a ime when severe action has to occur but until then we considered the baby boomersare attemting to show our intelligence to the younger generations and typically they are ignoring us , such is the youth of today .

We know only too well that changes need to be made , but as with many things 2/3rds of the world have never experienced our way of life, one third struggle daily and their attitude is we want what you have .
That is the conundrum how to implement change without making their lives worse than it already is. Over population, deceasing fresh water , something has to give. Maybe we were lucky two world wars depleted the numbers but now they are spiralling out of control , nearly 1.5 billion more in the last two/three decades .

Answer : need a WAR !!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 23, 2023, 12:02 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
January 23, 2023, 7:08 am
Why worry !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is a reason to worry.

For decades there has been inaction on climate change by conservative politicians that have tapped into the now dwindling climate change deniers population. As long as there was a significant population of head-in-the-sand voters, these politicians played the game of manipulation. The fossil fuel industry helped spread misinformation so we went decades before the existing climate emergency finally hit us.

We should have worried when the proof was getting stronger and stronger, but deniers and apathetic people let the political deniers go unchallenged. Almost identical to the cancer/smoking deniers 50+ years ago, only now it is far more serious.

That is why you should not only worry, but send a clear message to the politicians that inaction is wrecking this planet. Public opinion has now swung towards urgent action. The don't worry brigade is out of touch with reality.

If you were sitting on a beach knowing a tidal wave was coming, but claiming there is nothing to do about it and just stayed on the beach, so said don't worry, you would be a fool. Climate change is far more dangerous than the rare tidal wave.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 23, 2023, 12:48 pm

Not if you are standing on the beach with the water receding
Untitled.png

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2023, 1:04 pm

Whistler wrote:
January 23, 2023, 12:02 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
January 23, 2023, 7:08 am
Why worry !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is a reason to worry.

For decades there has been inaction on climate change by conservative politicians that have tapped into the now dwindling climate change deniers population. As long as there was a significant population of head-in-the-sand voters, these politicians played the game of manipulation. The fossil fuel industry helped spread misinformation so we went decades before the existing climate emergency finally hit us.

We should have worried when the proof was getting stronger and stronger, but deniers and apathetic people let the political deniers go unchallenged. Almost identical to the cancer/smoking deniers 50+ years ago, only now it is far more serious.

That is why you should not only worry, but send a clear message to the politicians that inaction is wrecking this planet. Public opinion has now swung towards urgent action. The don't worry brigade is out of touch with reality.

If you were sitting on a beach knowing a tidal wave was coming, but claiming there is nothing to do about it and just stayed on the beach, so said don't worry, you would be a fool. Climate change is far more dangerous than the rare tidal wave.
This is going to change in your lifetime..................really !!!!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 23, 2023, 2:12 pm

further up in the string population pressures are mentioned as contributing to climate change. Then a comment is made that the 1/3rd of the world mired in poverty wants to climb to a higher level of economic development. Those countries invariably have the highest birthrates as opposed to developed countries which have a declining birth rate with lots of them (including China) have a below replacement birth rate. I reckon we could postulate that if we could get the Third World better developed economically then the birth rates would drop accordingly. The world average fertility rate last year was 2.4 with the "replacement rate" being 2.1.

BTW. China's fertility rate is: 1.7 (a recent story showed a population decline of 850,000 last year)
Thailand's fertility rate is: 1.5

here's the list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ility_rate
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 23, 2023, 2:38 pm

Freezing fog here this morning.

This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 23, 2023, 2:55 pm

This is going to change in your lifetime..................really !!!!!!

It already has, but for the worse

Ever heard the expression better late than never? Maybe we should sit on our collective backsides until the global average reaches 3 degrees! By that time there will be fewer pacific islands, ditto Indian Ocean. Miami, Bangkok, Jakarta, Venice, Bangladesh, half of Pakistan slabs of Louisiana etc will be underwater.

Before you fix a problem you must be aware of it in the first place. But no worries, I am all right.

Worse still, knock every initiative no matter what, tell the 2700 people at Davos to go onto an internet chat forum, slag off at everybody who want to see change

That will fix everything.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » January 23, 2023, 2:59 pm

I am thinking of going camping in the Australian outback for a little holiday, live off the land, kill and eat a few kangaroos, ducks and that sort of stuff. Now I do not wish to upset the atmosphere with setting up a bush camp and burning a few dead logs, so what do I do.

Power leads to electricity is out, leads wont be long enough, need a few kilometres of it and they are made out fossil fuels. Buy a porta gas stove, no good there, its gas. Buy some solar panels to heat up the billy and bbq, wont work, overcast skies and rain predicted. I like my coffee and wont be eating raw steak, eggs and sausages, so it looks like I am going to pollute the area with burning logs.

There goes the great Australian past time of camping in the bush if climate change fools get there way.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 23, 2023, 3:04 pm

Nothing wrong with enjoying the great Australian bush this way, not illegal and highly enjoyable, no bans on LPG burners or lighting, you can even take a petrol powered generator, that what I used to do.

Have a good look at what the Gray Nomads do, most of them have solar panels on their vans. Smart move.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2023, 3:49 pm

As a species we ae great at siting on our backsides, that was why despite many talking we had TWO WORLD wars, when both could have been halted, numerous other fracas could also have been avoided but as a species we2 always err too much on the side of caution and deal with th aftermath of idolence and sheer bloody mindfulness . This is NO DIFFERENT , we know it is happening, but fixing it is an altogeher different story as so many do not want to act collectively, at my age I know that and silently despair, but until you get 3/4 rs of the wolds pop[ulation agreeing nowt is going to happen.
During the Cold War in the forces thew jke was learn to bend over and kiss your backside goodbye. Nowadays it is sod it we will go out with a bang or a whimper

being selfish I hope it happens after I shuffle off this MORTAL world !!

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 24, 2023, 12:59 am

Earnest wrote:
January 23, 2023, 2:38 pm
Freezing fog here this morning.

Whistler wrote:
January 23, 2023, 2:55 pm
This is going to change in your lifetime..................really !!!!!!
I hope so, the ruddy river froze too. Lovely weather for ducks - not.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 24, 2023, 8:23 am

For you Earnest , weather here turning delightfully cooler in the early mornings.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 24, 2023, 8:55 am

Khun Paul wrote:
January 24, 2023, 8:23 am
For you Earnest , weather here turning delightfully cooler in the early mornings.
The seasons do seem to be moving /changing with freak weather popping up in locations not usually seen , IMO this could well be down to global warming and food for thought for this generation as it will effect generations to come... what can be done remains to be seen.

LOCALLY ... Tiz indeed KP .. from tomorrow morning lows of 10 to 13 degrees in and around Udon for approx 5 days. Huge daytime highs and overnight lows at the moment with possible 17 degree swing which is unusual

Today 27 high , 10 low
Tomorrow 26 , 11
This coming weekend 25 , 10

Low temp numbers like above lasting for days not normally seen in cool season in these parts so twood appear even little Udon is possibly being effected.

DM had a mooch about in his jimjams at 6am this morning and it was chilly at 17 with a chilly breeze so may stay under the duvet a tad longer next foo days.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 24, 2023, 1:33 pm

I saw a post I made some years ago while I was teaching and I can tell you these lows are NOT unusual, we had almost TWO weeks of cold morning between 9-15, ,daytime lovely but early morning damn cold . About 2014/2015

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 24, 2023, 3:00 pm

Yes, that was around the time I ran the Khon Kaen half/mini marathon with Khun Zinedine and it was absolutely Baltic. I had to go out and buy a cardy.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 24, 2023, 9:02 pm

Earnest wrote:
January 24, 2023, 3:00 pm
Yes, that was around the time I ran the Khon Kaen half/mini marathon with Khun Zinedine and it was absolutely Baltic. I had to go out and buy a cardy.
Do you still have it?

How about the cardy?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 24, 2023, 9:54 pm

Yes, still got it, although slower than I used to be. Not so much the racing snake anymore.

I wear the cardy when I retire to the conservatory to listen to Britten.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 25, 2023, 9:45 am

Davos.png

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 25, 2023, 10:11 am

Before making such an incredibly dumb statement noo, you should spend a little bit of time to see what the world economic forum really discussed. There were 2700 delegates at Davos. Less than 10% of these travelled by private jet.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 25, 2023, 10:39 am

There you go again not very woke of you to use handicapped people
and even if only 2 out of the 2700 delegates flew by private jet the statement is still true

Return to “Open Forum”