climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Whistler » September 20, 2022, 11:26 pm

I wonder why some posters make posts about rare earth deposits in the same breath as lithium which is not part of the rare earth family.

Despite Barney's carrying on about China, Chile has 8 times more lithium than China, the USA and Australia has double the amount of lithium than China, now refineries of this metal are being built all over the world.

Prattling on about rare earth's has zip to do with EV'S and the growing need for batteries to power them.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 21, 2022, 5:49 am

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 21, 2022, 6:55 am

Seems EVs need a few REs

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 21, 2022, 7:33 am

Agrees noos, but in very tiny quantities. The constraint in raw material availability is primarily lithium.

https://www.batterypoweronline.com/news ... ilability/
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 23, 2022, 10:17 am

We really need to pay more attention to what the filthy rich oil and gas companies are telling us.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... uture.html
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 4, 2022, 3:38 pm

Of $17.2bn that the World Bank reported it spent on climate finance in 2020,
up to $7bn cannot be independently verified
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-spending

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 4, 2022, 4:08 pm

Very few NGO's have financial systems suited to financial reporting for multiple programs. One would think the World Bank does have such systems in place, but if they are not getting feedback from NGO's who are allocated funding, it is all for naught.

No surprising really. I note the head of the bank was appointed by Trump. What his credentials were for the job would be interesting to know.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 5, 2022, 7:54 am

Seems some global warming is going to be needed this winter
Europe is facing a deepening energy crisis as it prepares for a cold winter. Gas prices have reached record highs, and supplies are running low, stoking fears.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 5, 2022, 9:38 am

noosard wrote:
October 5, 2022, 7:54 am
Seems some global warming is going to be needed this winter
Europe is facing a deepening energy crisis as it prepares for a cold winter. Gas prices have reached record highs, and supplies are running low, stoking fears.
Not sure about the British winter gas price crisis. Didn't the new PM say that real relief created by her bean counter's magical mini budget would start having an tangible effect on the great unwashed (and unheated) from last Saturday?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 5, 2022, 11:15 am

In today's Bangkok Post for those that may have missed it

A salient observation about sea level rises, by the end of this century (when some of our children and a lot of our grandchildren will still be alive) sea levels will rise 1 metre, that is pretty much locked in, but some scientists are saying a two metre rise is more likely.

'goodbye to Shanghai, Bangkok and Calcutta; in the US, farewell to Miami and New Orleans'.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... g-glaciers. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 5, 2022, 11:22 am

Yay! Goodbye Pattaya!!!!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 12, 2022, 8:16 am

Maybe it is the name that is the problem. Climate change. It doesn’t sound that bad. The word “change” resonates quite pleasantly in our restless world. No matter how fortunate we are, there is always room for the appealing possibility of improvement. Then there is the “climate” part. Again, it does not sound so bad. If you live in many of the high-emitting nations of the global north, the idea of a “changing climate” could well be interpreted as the very opposite of scary and dangerous. A changing world. A warming planet. What’s not to like?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... our-senses

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2022, 8:40 am

I thought they'd discarded "global warming" in favor of "climate emergency" just before the last COP in Glasgow? This was to get more people on deck with their lifejackets on. Now they're suggesting they can go back to their cabins but keep the lifejackets on?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 12, 2022, 8:48 am

why go to opinion pages for the info? the IPCC has a detailed report here: https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/chapt ... mmunities/ Note the predictions are with a low range to high range and tagged low, medium, high confidence... Draw your own conclusions..
Dave

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 12, 2022, 11:14 am

tamada wrote:
October 5, 2022, 11:22 am
Yay! Goodbye Pattaya!!!!
Tamada, what is wrong with Pattaya. Have you ever been there and enjoyed the place, plenty of great restaurants.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2022, 12:44 pm

Sport wrote:
October 12, 2022, 11:14 am
tamada wrote:
October 5, 2022, 11:22 am
Yay! Goodbye Pattaya!!!!
Tamada, what is wrong with Pattaya. Have you ever been there and enjoyed the place, plenty of great restaurants.
Nothing wrong with it Sport. Places change but more importantly, people change. Here's my resume.

Pattaya 1979-1989: Part of the young dumb and full of cum brigade that made Pattaya (in)famous. Includes first ever trip to Oodorn.

The World 1990-2004: USA, Peru, Cameroon, Cuba, Guinea, Brazil and Iraq are standouts. Oh, and the basement dance club at the Turkmenbashi Hotel in Turkmenistan.

Pattaya 2005-2008: Rediscovery tour. Fun but it's on the slide and full of weirdos.

Oodorn 2009-2013: Discovering Thailand's best kept secret. It's even better than Lagos.

Pattaya 2104-2017: Reality check. Lagos is better.

Oodorn 2018-Present: Seconds away...Round Three!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 12, 2022, 5:51 pm

The Greenhouse Gas Emissions Offsets Policy outlines plans that would enable big carbon emitters to use Commonwealth-approved international offsets as a way to keep producing emissions.
International carbon credits have been riddled with integrity and transparency concerns.
In other words just a smoke screen

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 12, 2022, 6:11 pm

The Northern Territory passes an act. The NT has around 1% of the Australian population. Not a smokescreen, a gentle waft of unburned particles from a tiny match.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 13, 2022, 6:53 am

The policy could influence gas projects in the Beetaloo Basin, about 500 kilometres south-east of Darwin, which has become a sticking point for the NT government as it attempts to fast-track production.

While proponents of fracking say the basin's gas reserves could power Australia for 200 years, others have warned there might not be enough carbon credits in Australia to offset all of the emissions.
Not about NT population

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 13, 2022, 9:39 am

Seems like environmentalists always have a "Not in my Backyard" (NIMBY) mentality. They make huge efforts to stop gas and oil production in their own western countries yet seem to expect the autocratic far less environmentally cautions producers that are OPEC will continue to supply the West.... Why not produce your own in a responsible fashion and don't import from those OPEC nations???
Dave

Return to “Open Forum”