climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Whistler » October 13, 2022, 9:50 am

noosard wrote:
October 13, 2022, 6:53 am
The policy could influence gas projects in the Beetaloo Basin, about 500 kilometres south-east of Darwin, which has become a sticking point for the NT government as it attempts to fast-track production.

While proponents of fracking say the basin's gas reserves could power Australia for 200 years, others have warned there might not be enough carbon credits in Australia to offset all of the emissions.
Not about NT population
Could?

Beetaloo is effectively dead, more than one arrow in its torso, not the least when Origin pulled out of the deal a few weeks ago seeing the writing on the wall.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 13, 2022, 9:52 am

From what I see, it is major new projects that the environmentalists are focussing on, in places where they may have some influence.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 13, 2022, 10:06 am

Post Morrison, fracking is unlikely to get a guernsey in Australia. This area in the dry season is very arid, fracking required huge amounts of water, even from a layman's viewpoint I would suggest that the environmental lobby could mount a powerful argument, that with the support of the local land councils is the apparent set of drivers that drove Origin away from the project.

Dead project, Federal government trampling the NT legislation, looks like a nothingburger subject
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 13, 2022, 10:29 am

Part of this so-called environmental problem is that although NEW technologies can and probably will lower so-called environmental pollution by CO2, etc, the cost of installing and maintaining these NEW things are not made public.
For example how much does it cost to RECYCLE a motor vehicle current;y made . Apart from the battery ( small) and tyres ( rubber ) the rest can be dumped into a melting pot ( currently already built to make the car in the first place ) and most of it can be recycled in some fashion.
EV vehicles what is the cost of recycling this LARGE BATTERY which according to many should last between 100/150 thousand kilometres, not even 100 K miles, so my vehicle I would be on the third battery and at WHAT COST ??

Then we come to other ways of extracting fuel, ie : fracking, which require4s vast amounts of water , which does not exist in some countries, brilliant idea, badly thought out but the Governments never ever look at the how, just what it could mean. leaving the how to, to experts and then the Govt denies any negativity.

If we are SO CLEVER why using current technology can we not make it 50 % more efficient , make laws that requires each and every NEW Building to have solar panels fitted as standard`. All new infrastructure to include multi ways of fuelling transport.
A small example not a very efficient engine to be sure but I had a Champ once that could run on almost any fuel except diesel but anything else. So why was this technology adapted and honed to be more efficient .

When all these answers are founbd Most of us will be long gone, but fi we do no0t ask the questions now, they will never be answered.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 13, 2022, 11:59 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 13, 2022, 9:52 am
From what I see, it is major new projects that the environmentalists are focussing on, in places where they may have some influence.
Like Woodside's Scarborough/Jupiter and Santos's Barossa. Depending on what flavour of media you follow, both may be high-risk gambles for two uber-competive Antipodean oil and gas companies.

https://www.boilingcold.com.au/santos-d ... rossa-bet/

https://www.boilingcold.com.au/woodside ... h-woodmac/

Both articles (same author) cite that Qatar is the big winner here. Notably Santos acquired ConocoPhillips assets for Barossa and Woodside's full-on investment in Scarborough was after they bought out ExxonMobil which enabled both majors to exit Australia. Both COP and XOM are now cited as being among the major investors in Qatar's ballistic LNG expansion. Have the Aussies been sold a pup?

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 022-06-07/

Of course nobody's bad-mouthing Qatar's carbon footprint or pretty much of anything about Qatar these days.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 13, 2022, 4:07 pm

Australia is set to pledge its support to reduce global methane emissions by 30 per cent by 2030.
"This methane pledge is an aspirational goal from the world to bring down our methane emissions, which is something not only that I support but that most farm groups support," Senator Watt said on Thursday morning.

This week, the NZ government said it would largely adopt the farm sector's proposal about pricing emissions on farm.

"The proposal would see New Zealand farmers lead the world in reducing emissions, delivering a competitive advantage and enhancing our export brand.

"No other country in the world has yet developed a system for pricing and reducing agricultural emissions, so our farmers are set to benefit from being first movers."

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 13, 2022, 5:23 pm

noosard wrote:
October 13, 2022, 4:07 pm
Australia is set to pledge its support to reduce global methane emissions by 30 per cent by 2030.
"This methane pledge is an aspirational goal from the world to bring down our methane emissions, which is something not only that I support but that most farm groups support," Senator Watt said on Thursday morning.
What did watt say, 'Most farm groups support'. I doubt beef producers & dairy farmers would support this load of crap. The only farmers that would support it, would be growers of dandelions, daffodils & associated flower growers, oh yeah the hippies in the hills growing dope.

I would not believe anything coming out of watts mouth, the shiny arrsss lawyer from Brisbane.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » October 13, 2022, 5:56 pm

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has flagged this week her government will introduce a tax on methane emissions from livestock from 2025 which could see farmers pay between $15,000 and $50,000 annually or risk cutting herd size. From Sky News 13 Oct 2022.

So a T Bone tax. Gas for the BBQ has gone up and now beef, lamb & pork will be going up. Some people will only have distant memories of standing around the barby, drinking piss and having a good time, thanks ALP. You knew this before the 2022 election and did not say anything about it. The coalition knew but put it down as a silly joke, it would never happen. Well its happening.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 13, 2022, 7:16 pm

Sport wrote:
October 13, 2022, 5:56 pm
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has flagged this week her government will introduce a tax on methane emissions from livestock from 2025 which could see farmers pay between $15,000 and $50,000 annually or risk cutting herd size. From Sky News 13 Oct 2022.

So a T Bone tax. Gas for the BBQ has gone up and now beef, lamb & pork will be going up. Some people will only have distant memories of standing around the barby, drinking piss and having a good time, thanks ALP. You knew this before the 2022 election and did not say anything about it. The coalition knew but put it down as a silly joke, it would never happen. Well its happening.
It's frightening, isn't it Sport. The NZ PM is now setting policy for Australia. :shock:

What next - $100 roasts. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 29kln.html

The end of the weekend - https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... cle-policy

Page 37 here may help you to understand what the ALP said before the election https://alp.org.au/media/2594/2021-alp- ... atform.pdf

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 2:00 pm

Sport wrote:
September 16, 2022, 3:53 pm
Gday there Whistles me ol mate. I see your trying to push some climate change stuff down other peoples throats. I wish you well ol mate as they are having none of it.
Guday Sport,

I was reading few articles today on gas and other fossil fuel reserves, report determines gas and oil will run out in under 50 years' time (they reckon 54 years max) and all fossil fuels by the end of the century. On that basis, we all better get a giddy up on alternative energy.

It's going to take a few decades to get solar, wind, more hydro, and Hydrogen production up to speed. We can't cut it too short, can we? Looking forward to you getting behind the push.

A green, clean Sport pushing for renewables, with a fervent desire to save the planet from an energy crisis.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 15, 2022, 3:10 pm

Whistle
Hydrogen?
I was under the impression that Hydrogen was and is produced from fossil fuels, i.e. natural gas So if there is no natural gas then no hydrogen

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 3:22 pm

Electrolysis of water H2O. Are you thinking of the debate on here about NH4 ammonia? Even here there is a new process that does not need fossil based manufacturing.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 15, 2022, 3:32 pm

Electrolysis at present is producing a small amount of the worlds hydrogen needs, about 4%
This is a LONG way from the worlds needs and focus

As for hydro
"Hydropower is already a major source of power globally—it’s the largest source of renewable electricity and one of the fastest growing—but there are limited places to build hydropower, and large dams carry a number of social and environmental concerns." A good article on the pluses and minuses of Hydro can be read here https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/why-are ... hydropower

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 3:38 pm

I am talking about blue and green hydrogen production. A lot of new developments are underway

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » October 15, 2022, 3:59 pm

still a long way to go from 4%
Also Green is very expensive to produce at present

Blue H2 isnt the best either
"Blue hydrogen is often touted as a low-carbon fuel for generating electricity and storing energy, powering cars, trucks and trains and heating buildings. But according to a new report by Cornell and Stanford University researchers in the US, it may be no better for the climate – and potentially a fair bit worse – than continuing to use fossil natural gas, which currently keeps 85% of UK homes warm. In the US, about half of all homes use natural gas for space and water heating."
https://theconversation.com/blue-hydrog ... gas-166053

Good luck in their quest but at my age I dont think I will be around

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 4:14 pm

Interesting article Doodoo, thanks. I had read other articles on Blue Hydrogen, but it certainly has a downside. Shell is pushing Blue Hydrogen, but as a fossil fuel company, maybe that is understandable.

Green hydrogen that is making a lot of noise in Oz needs a lot of electricity, but as renewable electricity sources become increasingly available, long term it looks cleaner but as you say a long way off.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 4:23 pm

Good article Doodoo, thanks

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 16, 2022, 11:08 am

Another good article from the same source. Climate change extremes are already with us. What will 2023 to 2050 add to this alarming trend. All in line with co2 build up in the atmosphere, we have probably already passed tipping point.

https://theconversation.com/2022s-super ... n%20people.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 18, 2022, 8:06 am

The Albanese government pledged to reduce power prices as part of its efforts to rein in the cost of living and as part of a broader strategy to reinvigorate the manufacturing sector.

Electricity prices, however, are set to soar next year on the back of rapidly escalating costs for the very energy sources that dominate our exports: coal and gas.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 20, 2022, 3:20 pm

While the government hopes the tax will reduce livestock emissions by 20 percent, McKenzie argues that any “reductions will be replaced by less efficient foreign farmers”.
Methane is less abundant and does not linger as long in the atmosphere as carbon dioxide, but it is a much more potent warming agent. Scientists believe methane is responsible for roughly 30 percent of the global rise in temperatures despite being a fraction of the greenhouse gas mix.

Return to “Open Forum”