climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by tamada » June 9, 2023, 9:55 am

Thailand's severe smog has been a seasonal event for decades, mostly in Chiang Mai and the north. Platitudes are offered and promises never kept.

This year, it got more bandwidth because it impacted more of the nation, notably included Bangkok, but it was still a rather parochial event from a global standpoint. More platitudes and promises.

Now it is big, BIG, possibly global news because the wildfires in Quebec have caused 'dangerous' conditions in over a dozen states in the continental US but notably in New York and Washington DC.

Platitudes and promises forthcoming.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 9, 2023, 10:56 am

You somehow missed out 2 provinces that have wildfires.

"Wildfires are common in Canada's western provinces, but this year the eastern provinces of Nova Scotia, Quebec and parts of Ontario are also reeling from out-of-control wildfires, sending plumes across much of New York and forcing authorities to issue air quality alerts for Toronto and Ottawa."

I am not claiming to be a Climatologist but read this tidbit this morning.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2023, 1:45 pm

BBC and Sky yesterday and the two US news sources I watched this morning only mentioned Quebec. Maybe that where the biggest fires are?

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... .7,52.6,5z
fire watch.jpg
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 12, 2023, 10:49 pm

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 13, 2023, 12:20 am

How unusual for Fox to over dramatise things. Good sensationist fodder for their lesser intelligent followers.

Production costs and supply issues means that many farmers are quiting the industry in Ireland. Herds will likely be reduced over the next few years by natural attrition rather than government hit squads with AK47's roaming the green fields of the Emerald Isle.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/what-is-t ... ilk-728941
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 13, 2023, 4:41 am

Just more BS or is that CS

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 13, 2023, 7:06 am

June 7 2023
Looks like Ireland has committed funds to cull animals over next 3 years
https://www.econotimes.com/Ireland-May- ... ts-1657436

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 13, 2023, 10:49 am

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 13, 2023, 11:13 am

Saying it again, as most ignored it last time
Bottom line, the world can do what it wants, nothing I can do will change the outcome, so I will carry on pottering and enjoying life and NOT stress out over a situation , with mass wringing of hands,gnashing of teeth and pointless continuing meetings and conferences that half the world cares little about .
Certainly will not spend hours and hours as many do trawling the internet and various sites to ascertain the truth. Pointless as we are DOOMED , The animal kingdoms most intelligent animal has basically *^^^^ UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite all the warnings historially as we all know or should know, WEATHER is Cyclical over varying periods be it years, decades, centuries , if we the so-called most intellgent species do not know that then we are probably well on the way to extinction `.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 13, 2023, 2:43 pm

head in sand.jpg

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 13, 2023, 3:16 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 13, 2023, 11:13 am
Or, perhaps they just see it differently.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 13, 2023, 3:26 pm

Udon Map wrote:
June 13, 2023, 3:16 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
I would be interested in KP pointing out a single cycle over the past 50 million years that has been as severe, and come on so rapidly, as climate change over the past 100 years.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 13, 2023, 4:10 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 13, 2023, 3:26 pm
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
I would be interested in KP pointing out a single cycle over the past 50 million years that has been as severe, and come on so rapidly, as climate change over the past 100 years.
You might well be inteestded, a small fact when the vikings went to america, Greenland was coveed in trees, now since then it has lost all its forests, explain that , certainly colder. THat is at least in the last 5/6 thousand years, I asm noy going to check each and every year just to satisfy your need, bu simp-l;y put why do towns in the UK have designated flood plains, because they know it has flooded before The same can be said about volcanos and the fall oput from them or earthquakes subject top tectonic plate movement , Mothe nature is always upseting thje status quo, Our so-called highly intelligene, tries to contro it and fails miserably each and every time . Ice ages have come and gone, warming has come and gone does not take a history buff to realise that just using common-sense and educated guesses . But i all honesty by the time we know it is too late none of us on here will be around to notice the difference anyway .

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 13, 2023, 4:48 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 13, 2023, 4:10 pm
Whistler wrote:
June 13, 2023, 3:26 pm
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
You might well be inteestded, a small fact when the vikings went to america, Greenland was coveed in trees . . . .
Indeed, it appears that things were slightly warmer. https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2 ... -greenland.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 13, 2023, 6:10 pm

Did the vikings take a lot of cattle to raise the temp?
Or was it all the fires that cause air pollution?

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 13, 2023, 6:54 pm

Fires or cattle might have been the case if the Vikings went to America (and Greenland) 450,000 to 800,000 years ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna19619301

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 13, 2023, 7:48 pm

Thanks to KP for educating me today. I had no idea the Vikings had gone to North America.
Vikings had a settlement in North America exactly one thousand years ago, centuries before Christopher Columbus arrived in the Americas, a study says. Scientists say a new dating technique analysing tree rings has provided evidence that Vikings occupied a site in Newfoundland, Canada, in 1021AD.
Every day is a school day as the saying goes. =D>

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 14, 2023, 12:13 am

Shado wrote:
June 13, 2023, 6:54 pm
Fires or cattle might have been the case if the Vikings went to America (and Greenland) 450,000 to 800,000 years ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna19619301
Shado is 100% correct, KP is 100% wrong. Greenland was not covered in trees when the Vikings arrived, it was much as it is now and that was around 1000 years ago.

https://visitgreenland.com/articles/10- ... ears%20ago.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 14, 2023, 7:13 am

deankham wrote:
June 13, 2023, 7:48 pm
Thanks to KP for educating me today. I had no idea the Vikings had gone to North America.
Vikings had a settlement in North America exactly one thousand years ago, centuries before Christopher Columbus arrived in the Americas, a study says. Scientists say a new dating technique analysing tree rings has provided evidence that Vikings occupied a site in Newfoundland, Canada, in 1021AD.
Every day is a school day as the saying goes. =D>
Wait, there's even more.

“In the summer, Erik left to settle in the country he had found, which he called Greenland, as he said people would be attracted there if it had a favorable name.” Thus, Iceland was named by a sad Viking and Greenland is the slogan of a medieval marketing scheme."

Naff all about global warm... oops, sorry, climate change there either.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 14, 2023, 10:02 am

There is no doubt that the weather is changing. Climate change IS real. I'm not sure what the genuine reason is but is is a serious problem. Destroying the rain forests and burning has to have an big affect.

Return to “Open Forum”