Great Barrier Reef

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Great Barrier Reef

Post by Whistler » April 18, 2023, 10:13 am

noosard wrote:
April 18, 2023, 10:00 am
Whistler wrote:
March 25, 2023, 3:00 pm
Nice graph. Not sure what it means, it certainly does not show changes in water temperatures. Environmental scientists are claiming it is the rapid increase in temperatures that is causing problems on the reef
Just quote what this rapid temp changes are on the GBR
the graph shows in warmer temps the coral grows faster
shouldn't be too hard to uderstand
Not too hard to understand the graph is BS. Not too hard to understand that the Barrier Reef is shrinking and coming under increased stress.

Not too hard that you have a predilection to cherry-pick stuff that suits your views that are 100% at odds with the experts.

Post whatever misinformation you like, I have no need to post further on the subject.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 25, 2023, 11:33 am

Researchers recently discovered that coral cover increased by at least one-third in the northern and central parts of the Great Barrier Reef in 2022. In fact, they recorded more coral in these areas of the reef than any time in the past four decades.

https://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-trou ... 00603.html

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 25, 2023, 2:07 pm

I had the good fortune to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef. It ruined my future diving. It was so spectacular that no where else could come even close to equal it.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » December 25, 2023, 2:53 pm

The GBR is awesome, having spent many days fishing on it from Cape Melville in the north south to Maori Reef. An abundance of birds and sea life with plenty of sharks. Did I mention fishing, some of the best in the world and I will be getting a supply of fillets from the area in a month or so.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 27, 2023, 9:15 pm

glalt wrote:
December 25, 2023, 2:07 pm
I had the good fortune to scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef. It ruined my future diving. It was so spectacular that no where else could come even close to equal it.
You should have gone a bit further and dived the corral sea, in comparison the Great Barrier Reef is far more cloudy due to the currents and other factors, the aquatic life is virtually the same and due to the distance from Cairns or Townsville there are fewer divers in the water, you can also usually visit the SS Yongala. on the way back
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 27, 2023, 9:53 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 27, 2023, 9:15 pm
glalt wrote:
December 25, 2023, 2:07 pm
You should have gone a bit further and dived the corral sea, in comparison the Great Barrier Reef is far more cloudy due to the currents and other factors, the aquatic life is virtually the same and due to the distance from Cairns or Townsville there are fewer divers in the water, you can also usually visit the SS Yongala. on the way back
The visibility was excellent. The boat captain was an asshole. I wore a full; dive skin because of the jelly fish. A young female diver was stung and hurting. The captain yelled at her that she should shut up because she wasn't going to die. I should have kept my mouth shut but he really pissed me off.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 28, 2023, 8:07 am

By the way the great barrier reef is in the coral sea

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2023, 8:13 am

glalt wrote:
December 27, 2023, 9:53 pm

The visibility was excellent. The boat captain was an asshole. I wore a full; dive skin because of the jelly fish. A young female diver was stung and hurting. The captain yelled at her that she should shut up because she wasn't going to die. I should have kept my mouth shut but he really pissed me off.
For me I had a great time, on the second boat (I did 2 trips back to back one from Cairns one from Townsville) I was permitted to dive solo as I had twin tanks and all the required extras like a safety sossage (mine was self inflating) I also used 32% so with 24 litres of gas I usually got about 90+ minutes of dive time but only managed 3 dives a day as they allocated tanks to divers so the fill time didn’t allow for more. The only downside of the trips was that my waist line extended due to the really great food every day.

With jellyfish, not in Australia but in the Perhentian Islands, again I was diving solo, like you I have a full 0.5mm suit I also wore boots gloves and a five hat, the other divers were avoiding the jellyfish but I got some really good video of them as I had virtually zero skin exposed, and diving solo I didn’t have a buddy holding me back.

Unfortunately I can’t share the video I produced without completely changing the music as it would get copyright strikes, it’s 30 minutes cut from about 8 hours of footage for the Perhentians one
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2023, 8:26 am

noosard wrote:
December 28, 2023, 8:07 am
By the way the great barrier reef is in the coral sea
Yes Great Barrier Reef is part of the coral sea but the coral sea islands are not part of the Great Barrier Reef. They are a about 10 hours sailing further out and distinctly separate with much clearer water

IMG_8078.jpeg

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 28, 2023, 9:09 am

glad you cleared up your previous statement of "You should have gone a bit further and dived the corral sea,"

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 28, 2023, 10:06 am

A little further East lies the wreck of Lady Lex.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » December 28, 2023, 12:51 pm

mak wrote:
December 28, 2023, 10:06 am
A little further East lies the wreck of Lady Lex.
Your right Mak, about 500mls (800klms) east of Oz, lies the body of the great lady USS Lexington and 2mls (3klms) down, bit deep to dive on.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 28, 2023, 2:06 pm

noosard wrote:
December 28, 2023, 9:09 am
glad you cleared up your previous statement of "You should have gone a bit further and dived the corral sea,"
The corral sea islands, which are commonly called the corral sea by the dive organisations and are distinguished from the Great Barrier Reef, though they are all technically part of the corral sea.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 28, 2023, 2:10 pm

December 28, 2023, 2:06 pm
noosard wrote:
December 28, 2023, 9:09 am
The corral sea islands, which are commonly called the corral sea by the dive organisations and are distinguished from the Great Barrier Reef, though they are all technically part of the corral sea.
That's the OK CORRAL.... see
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 28, 2023, 3:04 pm

December 28, 2023, 8:13 am
glalt wrote:

For me I had a great time, on the second boat (I did 2 trips back to back one from Cairns one from Townsville) I was permitted to dive solo as I had twin tanks and all the required extras like a safety sossage (mine was self inflating) I also used 32% so with 24 litres of gas I usually got about 90+ minutes of dive time but only managed 3 dives a day as they allocated tanks to divers so the fill time didn’t allow for more. The only downside of the trips was that my waist line extended due to the really great food every day.

With jellyfish, not in Australia but in the Perhentian Islands, again I was diving solo, like you I have a full 0.5mm suit I also wore boots gloves and a five hat, the other divers were avoiding the jellyfish but I got some really good video of them as I had virtually zero skin exposed, and diving solo I didn’t have a buddy holding me back.

Unfortunately I can’t share the video I produced without completely changing the music as it would get copyright strikes, it’s 30 minutes cut from about 8 hours of footage for the Perhentians one
I did get two dives because I had two separate 80 CF aluminum air tanks. I suck up more air than more experienced divers.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 28, 2023, 3:24 pm

glalt wrote:
December 28, 2023, 3:04 pm
glalt wrote:

I did get two dives because I had two separate 80 CF aluminum air tanks. I suck up more air than more experienced divers. That boat was out of Cairns.

I was in an interesting bar in Cairns. I was sitting beside an Aussie talking with him. I ordered another beer and it was brought to me by who I thought was just another bartender. The Aussie beside my had his mouth open. I asked him why he was shocked. He was surprised because I didn't know it was K!ng Wally. He told me that K!ng Wally was the greatest rugby player ever.
Last edited by glalt on December 28, 2023, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 28, 2023, 3:30 pm

glalt wrote:
December 28, 2023, 3:24 pm
glalt wrote:
glalt wrote:

I did get two dives because I had two separate 80 CF aluminum air tanks. I suck up more air than more experienced divers. That boat was out of Cairns.

I was in an interesting bar in Cairns. I was sitting beside an Aussie talking with him. I ordered another beer and it was brought to me by who I thought was just another bartender. The Aussie beside my had his mouth open. I asked him why he was shocked. He was surprised because I didn't know it was individual Wally. He told me that individual Wally was the greatest rugby player ever.
glalt wrote:
December 28, 2023, 3:24 pm
glalt wrote:
glalt wrote:

I was in an interesting bar in Cairns. I was sitting beside an Aussie talking with him. I ordered another beer and it was brought to me by who I thought was just another bartender. The Aussie beside my had his mouth open. I asked him why he was shocked. He was surprised because I didn't know it was individual Wally. He told me that individual Wally was the greatest rugby player ever.

The site deleted my use of the word K!ng. It was K!ng Wally.

Return to “Open Forum”