Bulging Jet Spray Pressure Hose

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Bulging Jet Spray Pressure Hose

Post by Brian Davis » January 10, 2022, 6:20 pm

This is probably a naïve question from a not so handy man. Is a high pressure hose for a jet spray meant to bulge at certain points in its’ length? I’m very sure the answer is no - and keep out of the way!
Today, first time in using my replacement hose for a Hyundai Twister 1500w jet spray, bought from HomePro. The hose’s markings are SAE100R1AT 6mm(1/4 inch) WP 400BAR/5800PSI. The label on the machine itself says. Max Pressure 140 Bar, Rate Pressure 90 Bar +/- 5%, Flow rate 5 litres per minute. I’m sure that’s the same as supplied on purchase of the jet spray. The original hose developed a significant split, which made it unusable. Less than a year old and I’d used it minimal times, but the hose isn’t included in the warranty!
The replacement cost c. 800 baht. Fresh out of its’ packing, it quickly developed two large bulges and there was also a pinhole leak, but that hardly seemed to affect the pressure to my thinking. Wanting to finish a task I’m started, I continued and the bulges went down and the spray from the pinhole stopped, so perhaps there was a significant reduction in pressure? I think I kept the hose fairly straight.
I’ve got to go into Udon tomorrow and plan to take hose back to Home Pro and ‘discuss’ quality! Any quick observations/ comments to ensure I’m not overlooking something? Thanks.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Re: Bulging Jet Spray Pressure Hose

Post by pepesgrill » January 10, 2022, 6:38 pm

gosh that's a lot of pressure , most home
compressors for running tools/ painting might
hit ~ 100 psi

a couple years ago , there was a thread on UM about exactly this ( yep, still there) google high
pressure water hose

these are special hydraulic type fittings, i think someone discovered a local shop that make them

as guys mention, is it metric or sae. standard or
pipe thread, quik disconnect couplers of what type type. it gets messy. and of course a burst hose thrashing about can do damage. yikes
Last edited by pepesgrill on January 10, 2022, 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 10, 2022, 6:44 pm

Take pictures if the bulging hose and then take it back to HomePro. They have a good reputation for no quibble replacement under warranty, despite the hose itself not being covered under the washer warranty. Chances are you may have one or two the same before you get a 'good' one. The quality of a lot of stuff sold here, regardless of brand name, is questionable.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 10, 2022, 6:51 pm

Wish I'd thought of the photos at the time, but as I indicated, the bulges went down again and I can't now see clear evidence of where it 'bubbled', even though they were significant.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 10, 2022, 10:09 pm

just to satisfy my own curiousity , as there are
hundreds of these pressure washers in town
seemingly all with failing brandname hoses

this sae 100r1 just specifies the composition, neoprene core, steel sheath, rubber exterior. obviously temp & pressure parameters. oil,air,
water rated. flexibility. and yes, fittings need to
be crimped on using a special jig / hydraulic
140 bar 1 atmosphere/bar well within limits

so, if store disappoints there surely is a thai shop
knocking these out. probably of a higher quality
and a guy deservedly making a good income at it

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 11, 2022, 2:03 pm

took an old defective pressure washer hose to this company and had one fabricated a few years ago for about a thousand baht...https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.43497 ... 8192?hl=en Located on the Ring Road adjacent to the tunnel/bridge overpass..
Dave

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » January 11, 2022, 2:43 pm

big blue&yellow sign literally says

distribution centre tractor, backhoe etc
alltypes. passed it 50x never even noticed it

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 11, 2022, 4:07 pm

One thing I have learned about nurturing pressure washers here is the importance of draining everything, smearing the o-rings with silicon grease and capping all openings to stop the bloody bugs and spiders laying eggs or building houses in them. Don't store them in the sun either. I keep both mine in big black bin liners between outings and the accessories in a dry, closed storage box. It also helps to have a dedicated supply hose, preferably black rubber-lined so that the green slime that develops in the regular, cheap translucent plastic garden hoses doesn't clog up the inlet filters. Keep this hose drained, capped and stored with your washers.

These helpful tips brought to you by the letters t, a and m.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 11, 2022, 4:25 pm

Thank you for the tips on repair, taking care etc. I did go into Home Pro today. Very pleasant, excellent English-speaking lady at Customer Service. After some checks with supplier (and the suggestion that some bulging on initial use was not unusual???), a pressure test/use at front of shop, the hose seemed fine until the pinhole leak appeared. I have to admit that I may have caused this by the hose flying about, banging things when the gun stuck open. Anyway, they've agreed to replace free. I did ask if there was a superior quality available from the manufacturer, to be told this was the best they make. Let's hope this one lasts!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 11, 2022, 4:33 pm

Lucky you, I have never had a pump that has outlasted the hose.
Still have the hose from the last unit I replaced which I'll give to you if we can arrange a meet up in Udon in the future.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 11, 2022, 5:47 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 11, 2022, 4:33 pm
Lucky you, I have never had a pump that has outlasted the hose.
Still have the hose from the last unit I replaced which I'll give to you if we can arrange a meet up in Udon in the future.
Generous of you, BD, but you hang onto it - you never know. Actually, I've discovered an old hose in the store too, just a case of checking if the connections are compatible with the machine and the gun. Incidentally, down your way other day to find a vet I know from Udon who opened there - and rather lovely too! Not the first time I've driven by any means, but I found it quite a way from Phen ( perhaps conscious of the dog in the back), never mind Udon, which I feel remains essential for some things.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 10, 2022, 7:03 am

A sort of P.S. really.
I recalled Bandung_Dero's comment.
"Lucky you, I have never had a pump that has outlasted the hose."
So, ha ha, the actual machine stopped working. Because I 'd used him before, I took the jetspray to the guy in the repair clinic, front of Home Hub. He tried a new capacitor, but concluded motor problem, best send back to Hyundai. No charge, but I gave him something for his time/effort anyway. Back to Home Pro and the Hyundai guy who'd sold me the thing in the first place. A quick look and he thought pump issue, but it would have to go back to HQ. The machine now a few weeks out of warranty. I said ok, but I must have a quote for repair to consider if cost effective and I want a 6 month repair warranty. No can do. Only 1 month, what a joke. I was off, left the machine there, hoping they'll throw it a long way into a recycling bin. :roll:

Return to “Open Forum”