Longest serving EX-Pat Residents (Brits.)in Udon Thani

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Longest serving EX-Pat Residents (Brits.)in Udon Thani

Post by parrot » June 9, 2022, 2:49 pm

So, it turns out udonmap did serve a purpose......while it lasted

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 9, 2022, 2:58 pm

Afternoons and evenings on the sauce with the legendary Goodison and his offsider Foggy were a real highlight of my times in Udon. A Goodison performance in the Thai/Isan sing song bars around Nong Prjak is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Happy days.
Watch Me!!

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 9, 2022, 3:46 pm

Meetings of UM members started some time before the meetings at the night market.

Initially they were held at the premises of those with bars / food who advertised on UM.

The first meeting was in March 2005 at Mojos.

There were four (possibly five) members at the first meeting.

The four were Paul (ex RAF engineer?), Pops (aka Cliff), laphanphon (aka LA) and myself.

However, I have a vague memory of talking to a fifth person at Mojos that night called John - but I think his presence there was coincidental and unrelated to UM.

Details of the early meetings are available on a different UM platform somewhere in cyberspace.

UM changed its internet platform in early July 2005 and restarted its membership; the old platform, while useful for historical purposes, is now a forgotten dusty archive somewhere in cyberspace.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 9, 2022, 5:00 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 9, 2022, 10:30 am
noosard wrote:
June 9, 2022, 8:12 am
Khun Paul wrote:
June 8, 2022, 4:46 pm
Never made it to the Market meet up, attended a meet up once, somewhere near to Don Bosco but thjat was a one off. These days so many more farangs here than in early years , more establishments dotted around the outer fringes , the need to collect as a group no longer deemed a necessity . people go where they want to meet up with like minded friends, be it for lunch, dinner or breakfast or even just coffee.
The natural cohesiveness of being a small minority no longer applies .
That was the Bookhouse
Whatever Noosard, place is irrelevant in fact. However I stand by what I say, the general cohesisveness has gone
Was just trying to help the elderly remember

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 9, 2022, 5:12 pm

JimboPSM wrote:
June 9, 2022, 3:46 pm
Meetings of UM members started some time before the meetings at the night market.

Initially they were held at the premises of those with bars / food who advertised on UM.

The four were Paul (ex RAF engineer?), Pops (aka Cliff), laphanphon (aka LA) and myself.

However, I have a vague memory of talking to a fifth person at Mojos that night called John - but I think his presence there was coincidental and unrelated to UM.

Details of the early meetings are available on a different UM platform somewhere in cyberspace.

UM changed its internet platform in early July 2005 and restarted its membership; the old platform, while useful for historical purposes, is now a forgotten dusty archive somewhere in cyberspace..
The 5th may have been me. Seem to recall going onto a club afterwards. Half Moon?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 5:23 pm

2005 ?? Probably Full Moon out towards the Air base

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 9, 2022, 5:38 pm

That's the one Stats. I think the original owner of Udon Map attended some of the early ones. Name escapes me.
Remember going to a night club in town in the back of his pick up after one meeting.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 9, 2022, 6:35 pm

The full moon long gone and now its shop selling chandeliers and lamps etc!
Bet that place could say some stories! Tarts there were ACE!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 6:42 pm

Tarts ? Tarts?? Attractive young very friendly hostesses I think they were called :lol:

Remember attempting to leave at about 2am one morning ......... crossed the road to centre and fell headlong over the barrier ..... luckily no cars heading into town at that time or I wouldnt be here :-"

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 9, 2022, 7:14 pm

Galee wrote:
June 9, 2022, 5:12 pm
JimboPSM wrote:
June 9, 2022, 3:46 pm

UM changed its internet platform in early July 2005 and restarted its membership; the old platform, while useful for historical purposes, is now a forgotten dusty archive somewhere in cyberspace..
The 5th may have been me. Seem to recall going onto a club afterwards. Half Moon?
The meeting you mention was on Saturday 9th July 2005.

It started at the Horseshoe Bar and, when it closed, moved on to the Full Moon Bar and, when it closed, moved on to another late night entertainment establishment near the Udon Hotel.

This post on UM could, very loosely, be described as the unofficial minutes of that meeting:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 11, 2022, 10:28 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
June 6, 2022, 9:00 pm
arjay wrote:
June 6, 2022, 7:36 pm
Is Truebit (Val) still about?
Yes still going strong despite nearly kicking it last year with a nasty reaction to my Pfizer covid jab which put me in Queen Sirikat heart hospital KK, but almost back to normal again, just 50 grand lighter .87 years of age and I think about 17 years on the forum under one name or another . \:D/
Ah or is it Oh. Hi Val. I take it that "Old Grumpy" is your current "nom de plume". Best wishes to you Val. I did make the jump back to the UK, where I am currently living with my wife, and summing up the wherewithall, post covid and various others things, to make a trip back to LOS this autumn, assuming the air fares don't become too prohibitive. When I do go back, I tend to stick with the one flight and don't come up to Udon or Nong Khai where I used to live.

I believe Lee is still around Udon. I remember the night market meetings and others around Udon.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » June 21, 2022, 3:30 pm

I resemble your remarks Mark. Re Foggy and I. Deane gave me a heads up on your post I'm meeting up with Big Dave at Le Gallery on Friday, hear their Fish and Chips are good. I'm sure the lampshades will be swinging. I do Pop into Chris' (ex-HARRY'S) For the odd Slurp.) Certainly quietened down since those Heady days. S'pose I had to since the Aneurism!

Return to “Open Forum”