Patreon website

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
GT93
udonmap.com

Patreon website

Post by GT93 » September 12, 2021, 5:50 am

I see a lot of youtube content creators now also have Patreon pages.
For creators, Patreon is a way to get paid for creating the things you’re already creating (webcomics, videos, songs, whatevs). Fans pay a few bucks per month OR per post you release, and then you get paid every month, or every time you release something new. Learn more about becoming a creator on Patreon HERE.

For patrons, Patreon is a way to join your favorite creator's community and pay them for making the stuff you love. Instead of literally throwing money at your screen (trust us, that doesn’t work), you can now pay a few bucks per month or per post that a creator makes. For example, if you pay $2 per video, and the creator releases 3 videos in February, then your card gets charged a total of $6 that month. This means the creator gets paid regularly (every time she releases something new), and you become a bonafide, real-life patron of the arts. That’s right--Imagine you, in a long frilly white wig, painted on a 10-foot canvas on the wall of a Victorian mansion. And imagine your favorite creators making a living doing what they do best… because of you.
https://support.patreon.com/hc/en-us/ar ... s-Patreon-

Is anyone paying a creator on Patreon yet? There are competitor websites. Perhaps retired folks will be late to this party. I like the idea of recompensing someone whose content I watch a lot on youtube.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Patreon website

Post by tamada » September 12, 2021, 7:34 am

There's a young Asian lady who does short public performance art videos who's been a patreon user since its inception. I haven't bought anything from her yet, just mentioning it for any of UM's quietly retired who want to become an "online artist" and need to monetize it.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 12, 2021, 11:44 am

I don’t get how this Patreon thing is supposed to work. I regularly listen to some podcasts & subscribe to a couple of YouTube channels & they always start by talking about Patreon. I then just listen or watch the content.

Am I supposed to contribute something out of the goodness of my heart?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 12, 2021, 12:57 pm

^ Not quite. It plays on 'short attention span theater' where people like and subscribe and pay to follow some blogger or YT'er but either lose interest or otherwise no longer visit so blogger or YT'er revenue stream from ad clicks also dries up. However, with a patreon sign up, even if the subscriber loses interest, unless they make a point of closing their subscription, each time the artist creates something, they will get billed regardless if they've read it, looked at it or pulled their pud over it.

More recently though, some long-time YT presences with consistently large followings don't like YT's new terms and conditions regarding monetizing their YT presence (whatever they may be). Some have moved to patreon where their loyal followers will need to open their wallet to keep their preferred information and opinion stream flowing. Pay-per-view?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 12, 2021, 1:31 pm

Well that counts me out then.
There isn’t a single podcast or YouTube channel that’s of enough interest for me to pay for.
Most of the time it’s just a bit of background noise because the house is so quiet.

Incidentally, a pop up ad on YouTube yesterday was for Shopee & “starred” non other than Jackie Chan 😳

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 12, 2021, 2:44 pm

Niggly wrote:
September 12, 2021, 11:44 am
I don’t get how this Patreon thing is supposed to work.
Am I supposed to contribute something out of the goodness of my heart?
Exactly, though supposed is a bit strong also a percentage goes to patreon.

Some patreon users make some content that is only available on patreon.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 12, 2021, 4:32 pm

Seems like a reason to unsubscribe from a youtube channel if the owner is putting stuff behind a paywall, surely this would mean less people visiting and therefore less income .......... unless of course theres enough idiots out there who would pay for what was originally free ...... "theres' one born every minute" springs to mind

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 12, 2021, 5:23 pm

Don’t think I’ll ever find out what content is behind a paywall because I’m not going to subscribe.
There’s enough dross on the free view/listen to skip without getting suckered in to pay for more of the same

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 12, 2021, 6:12 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
September 12, 2021, 4:32 pm
Seems like a reason to unsubscribe from a youtube channel if the owner is putting stuff behind a paywall, surely this would mean less people visiting and therefore less income .......... unless of course theres enough idiots out there who would pay for what was originally free ...... "theres' one born every minute" springs to mind
That would really depend on the particular owner and their distribution and use practices.

It also sounds extremely entitled and childish, not to mention less than intelligent.

‘I’m going to stop watching things that I enjoyed and you spent your time, money and resources making, that cost me nothing but a little time, because you are making other content that is not also free”

There are a verity of people using Patrion, they have a verity of reasons for using it, along with a verity of ways of using it.
A few of the content providers I watch have patreon, these are the way and reasons given. NOTE, all of them are continuing to provide free, to me, content.

1) a tip jar, no extra content, because the provider was asked by viewers for a way they could support the provider.

2) a way of becoming independent of the revenue from Google, so their income cannot be shutoff without notice “just because”, extra content on Patrion

3) a place to upload and distribute longer add free content that if on YouTube would drop their ratings so drop the YouTube revenue

4) a place to upload and distribute content that would not be permitted on YouTube.

I can’t comment on any of the patreon content as I haven’t yet found a reason to pay any of the providers so haven’t watched any “patrion only” content.

The PEBCAK maybe the above who appears to present as an OTAKE
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Open Forum”