Afghanistan

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
glalt
udonmap.com

Afghanistan

Post by glalt » August 16, 2021, 1:33 pm

What do you think about that sad situation? All these years of spending billions and billions of dollars to prop up a democracy that they obviously don't want was simply money flushed down the toilet.

If they wanted a democracy they would have fought for it and won. They could barely survive even with the help of the US and NATO. I rarely agree with Uncle Joe but he made the right decision this time.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Afghanistan

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 2:07 pm

Tell me what war is not a "Sad Situation" Name one
These years of spending billions and billions proped up many nations economies and it certainly wasnt Afghanistans. So the money certainly wasnt "Flushed down the toilet" it just wasnt directed to the proper places such as combatting cancer, fightng poverty, climate change( dont start), Meical care for all etc
You can never win a war when the people are the enemy as seen in Afghanistan, Vietnam, war on drugs, war on terror, etc
The best thing was and is for NATO forces to do is withdraw and leave the country be as they are doing now. Will it be in the right way , of course not as it never is

On the subject of War I remember a street survey being publisized on another network with the question "What country should the USA invade next?" One of the respondents said "FRANCE!!" "Why France?" Answer "Because we never have attacked them"
War seems to be in the interest of the human being

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » August 16, 2021, 2:08 pm

glalt wrote:
August 16, 2021, 1:33 pm
What do you think about that sad situation? All these years of spending billions and billions of dollars to prop up a democracy that they obviously don't want was simply money flushed down the toilet.

If they wanted a democracy they would have fought for it and won. They could barely survive even with the help of the US and NATO. I rarely agree with Uncle Joe but he made the right decision this time.
Embarrassing is a word that pretty much sums it up. But the money wasn't flushed down the toilet. In fact, a lot of people did extremely well.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 16, 2021, 2:38 pm

Gotta be a lot of grieving families of lost and wounded coalition military personal wondering WTF it was all about. Russians tried and failed 35 odd years ago, didn't anyone learn from that?
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on August 16, 2021, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2021, 3:11 pm

Assisting with nation building (and rebuilding) where ethnic populations are of a predominantly Christian persuasion has been challenging enough and not all have been a success. Latin American despots and dictators persist and a disappointing amount of former Soviet satellites have easily fallen under the control of rich and enabled demagogues favored by the Kremlin.

Why did the Bush administration think it was possible to build an instant democracy in Iraq when the first civilian administrator they assigned there couldn't even speak the language and couldn't tell his Tigris from his Euphrates? Mind you, as a career diplomat, Bremer had previously been appointed US Ambassador to the Netherlands but couldn't speak Dutch. Notably, as the man assigned to rule Iraq by decree, he wasn't a Muslim either.

With no lessons learned (yet) they barged right on into Afghanistan on a very thin resume of "nation building". The official line is they were invited in but when there's no appreciation of the importance of acknowledging the culture, history and pride of a country's population before you set up your hand-picked Presidents and Prime Ministers, I reckon the aspect of faith means little.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 3:11 pm

Bandung
I hope you arent implying that if the NATO/Coalition forces won that families would not be grieving.
War equals lose of Life period you cant get around it.And what about in this case the 47,245 civilians, 66,000 to 69,000 Afghan military and police and more than 51,000 Taliban fighters that have been killed? I guess there are grieving families also in their cases

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 3:25 pm

THe Allies invaded Afghanistan to dismantle al-Qaeda and deny it a safe base of operations in Afghanistan by removing the Taliban from power.
US President George W. Bush demanded that the Taliban hand over Osama bin Laden and expel al-Qaeda; bin Laden had already been wanted by the FBI since 1998.

OR

The Bush administration then commenced a bombing campaign and invasion of Afghanistan, asserting the need to capture or kill bin Laden and crush his terrorist organization so that they could not launch another deadly attack on the American homeland.

There was no agenda to build a nation

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 16, 2021, 3:49 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 16, 2021, 3:11 pm
Bandung
I hope you arent implying that if the NATO/Coalition forces won that families would not be grieving.
What sort of comment is that? I'm saying that NOTHING was gained. Within a few months the whole country can turn the clock back 20 years as what happened when the Russians tried. What were the coalition doing in there in the 1st place?
Oh, so the USA can get bin Laden, one man and he was in Pakistan anyway.
Lives, property etc. lost all round for NO positive outcome. IMHO some countries just cannot be helped. This and a number in Africa on MY list!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 16, 2021, 4:40 pm

Sad day for the afghani people.
300,000 in their army just let them walk by.
The Taliban are coming in peace. Yeah right.
Let’s see how long it takes for strict sharia to be once again implemented with the usual iron fist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 16, 2021, 5:05 pm

https://fb.watch/7pYpkmhi6W/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 5:15 pm

THe whole country can be turned back 20 years

And what is the problem with that .If that is what the want and it certainly appears that way then let then live 200 years back
As for saying NOTHING was gained there most certainly was. Many Wetserners made alot of money off this fiasco, many Afghans will get the opportunity to become citizens in other countries,

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 5:32 pm

"According to a Brown University study in 2019, which has looked at war spending in both Afghanistan and Pakistan, the US had spent around $978bn (their estimate also includes money allocated for the 2020 fiscal year)." This is from 2001 to 2020, almost $50 billion a year

So something sure came out of the war and into someones pockets. Some GAINED BIG TIME

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 16, 2021, 5:35 pm

You need to change ya meds!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 16, 2021, 5:57 pm

Whenever the USA is down and depressed what is it they want, A WAR. Think about $50 billion in the coffers now every year and nothing to spend it on

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 16, 2021, 6:09 pm

I don't often agree with Uncle Joe but this time he had the guts to do what should have been done years ago. Many billions of dollars flushed down the toilet The Afghan army was trained at a great expense and when they were attacked, they ran away and left all the equipment and weapons. If they loved their country, they would have fought and won. It should have been obvious that they didn't want democracy. Let them carry on with their normal muslim traditions. All that was accomplished was that many corrupt US advisors got vey rich.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 16, 2021, 6:19 pm

The Afghan fought the invaders ( Westerners) and WON.
Democracy ?? LOL , Where ?? Democracy US style, British style ?, Australian Style ? Democracy where rules profit the 1% of the population. Who needs that ?Afghan ( Taliban ) can do better than that.
Stay safe.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 16, 2021, 6:22 pm

I don't disagree with you glait but the real losers will be the women and girls who will no longer be able to go to school and hold a job. We should have gotten out of the quagmire after killing Bin Laden.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » August 16, 2021, 6:41 pm

fdimike wrote:
August 16, 2021, 6:22 pm
I don't disagree with you glait but the real losers will be the women and girls who will no longer be able to go to school and hold a job. We should have gotten out of the quagmire after killing Bin Laden.
Everyone I have spoken with today agrees with this in entirety 100%. The Afghan people are going to be subjected to unimaginable horrors.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2021, 6:49 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
August 16, 2021, 6:41 pm
fdimike wrote:
August 16, 2021, 6:22 pm
Everyone I have spoken with today agrees with this in entirety 100%. The Afghan people are going to be subjected to unimaginable horrors.
Only from a civilised, western perspective. Otherwise it's simply back to the normal that existed before the uninvited foreigners intruded.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 16, 2021, 7:02 pm

glalt wrote:
August 16, 2021, 6:09 pm
I don't often agree with Uncle Joe but this time he had the guts to do what should have been done years ago. Many billions of dollars flushed down the toilet The Afghan army was trained at a great expense and when they were attacked, they ran away and left all the equipment and weapons. If they loved their country, they would have fought and won. It should have been obvious that they didn't want democracy. Let them carry on with their normal muslim traditions. All that was accomplished was that many corrupt US advisors got vey rich.
they're tribal ,not nationalistic , country means nothing to them. i wouldn't say the advisors are corrupt, more like they didn't have a clue what they were doing. in fact 20 years of bad advising, even the people they advised had no idea, then again i guess the grunts had no idea why they were there either. the whole thing is a bad joke , catch 22 comes to mind.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “Open Forum”