Old Age or something more sinister

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Post Reply
User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 14811
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Old Age or something more sinister

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2021, 4:32 pm

You can take the p*ss here, but as a bit of a follow on to the sleep thread, I've been wondering about packaging. Years ago I just held a packet of bikis or sweets etc in front of me, pinched between thumb & finger on each hand, and with next to no effort opened the package. Over the last few years many many times i've spent several minutes trying to "break in" to the bikis, and in some cases I've had to resort to getting a pair of scissors. Is it just me getting old, cutting my nails too much, or are they making the packages harder to open?



User avatar
Niggly
udonmap.com
Posts: 3694
Joined: December 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
Location: Living in Doug’s Flop House Head rent free. It’s nice, lots of empty space

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by Niggly » August 14, 2021, 4:54 pm

They’re sealing stuff better.
A few years back I had to buy a load of “5 bar” sealing machines to replace the “3 bar”.
Our material was also changed to reduce plastics & make bio degradable wherever possible although as a regular consumer you probably wouldn’t be able to tell.

Incidentally better bottle & jar sealing technology also came onto the market which might explain why the first twist to open a new container is harder to do.




…………..Oh, & you might have the early stages of arthritis
Coordinator for Tesco Lotus Boxing Events, fun times, eh

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 3004
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by noosard » August 14, 2021, 4:58 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
August 14, 2021, 4:32 pm
You can take the p*ss here, but as a bit of a follow on to the sleep thread, I've been wondering about packaging. Years ago I just held a packet of bikis or sweets etc in front of me, pinched between thumb & finger on each hand, and with next to no effort opened the package. Over the last few years many many times i've spent several minutes trying to "break in" to the bikis, and in some cases I've had to resort to getting a pair of scissors. Is it just me getting old, cutting my nails too much, or are they making the packages harder to open?
Let your wife open it for ya

User avatar
Niggly
udonmap.com
Posts: 3694
Joined: December 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
Location: Living in Doug’s Flop House Head rent free. It’s nice, lots of empty space

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by Niggly » August 14, 2021, 5:11 pm

^ or a passing local kid
Coordinator for Tesco Lotus Boxing Events, fun times, eh

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 3004
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by noosard » August 14, 2021, 5:33 pm

These are useful in the defeat of stubborn tops or harden tear proof plastic
download (30).jpg
download (30).jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 767 times
download (1).png
download (1).png (1.91 KiB) Viewed 767 times

User avatar
Niggly
udonmap.com
Posts: 3694
Joined: December 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
Location: Living in Doug’s Flop House Head rent free. It’s nice, lots of empty space

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by Niggly » August 14, 2021, 5:50 pm

What gets me is when scissors come zipped tied to a backing card & sealed in a vac pack. You need the friggin scissors to open the pack without suffering a major injury or amputation
Coordinator for Tesco Lotus Boxing Events, fun times, eh

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 14811
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2021, 6:12 pm

Thought it might be the "health freaks" on a crusade to stop us getting at the sugary bikis and sweets

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 14811
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2021, 6:15 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
August 14, 2021, 6:12 pm
Thought it might be the "health freaks" on a crusade to stop us getting at the sugary bikis and sweets
What's next vac packed donuts and heat sealed scones ](*,)

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 5812
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by Khun Paul » August 15, 2021, 10:31 am

There is no doubt as the OP mentioned, that packaging is getting harder to open and get at the contents, be that food or normal stuff, take Razor Blades for example, it took a pair of scissors and a sharp. knife to penetrate the packaging so that I could access the plastic container holding the pack of Razor Blades about 3/4 minutes , just to have a shave.
Other packaging is becoming harder , even to the point of double or triple wrapping, take batteries, , plastic covering two batteries in a four battery pack, then a plastic blister containing two packs of two batteries, and then to top it off, a fully enclosed cardboard wrapper containing the previous packaging again hard to get in to. For gods sake, just think in ten years, need a saw, grips, Stanley knife just to get it open and them fumbling to change the batteries, one could die just changing the batteries on a heart monitor...lol

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 632
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by choi choi » August 15, 2021, 3:19 pm

Yes Same problem here!Not only packaging, Bottles/ jars!
Cooking oil for one!
Not only do they seal the top, they have a ring pull that invariably snaps rather than pull off the seal!
Lays crisps, you have to tear apart.Then there is "Beng Beng" chocolate bar.
For ages I have swore and cursed at this 'Piece of sh**"
Then just last week I noticed a little arrow in the corner. Presto! All forgiven!
beng.jpg resized again.jpg
beng.jpg resized again.jpg (1.63 KiB) Viewed 580 times

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 14811
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by stattointhailand » August 15, 2021, 3:34 pm

Having got my magnifying glass out and studied it under a full spectrum of various coloured lights, I concur, there is actually a little tiny yellow arrow sneakily hidden on the ribbed reflective packaging :roll:

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 8064
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 15, 2021, 4:28 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
August 15, 2021, 3:34 pm
Having got my magnifying glass out and studied it under a full spectrum of various coloured lights, I concur, there is actually a little tiny yellow arrow sneakily hidden on the ribbed reflective packaging :roll:
Bad eye sight ,, limp wrist ..problems breaking the skin on a rice pudding !! sounds to me like youve been bashing the bishop over Steve Bruce n Joelinton too much Statto.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 3004
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by noosard » August 18, 2021, 11:23 am

Just saw this ad on banana tea to help with sleeping
Clean banana and then boil either whole or just skin if worried about sugar levels
Drink

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/banana-tea

Why Does banana tea help you sleep?
2. Promotes Peaceful Sleep. Banana tea contains muscle relaxants like tryptophan, serotonin, and dopamine, which help in treating sleep disorders like insomnia by inducing sleep. Tryptophan, an amino acid, produces sleep-inducing hormones like serotonin and melatonin.

User avatar
dezzer111
udonmap.com
Posts: 1002
Joined: July 9, 2016, 9:33 pm

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by dezzer111 » August 18, 2021, 2:15 pm

Yep ring pull cans they are the bane, just trying to lift the ring pull is a task,then trying to open the can , well that another saga.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 14811
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by stattointhailand » August 18, 2021, 2:44 pm

noosard wrote:
August 18, 2021, 11:23 am
Just saw this ad on banana tea to help with sleeping
Clean banana and then boil either whole or just skin if worried about sugar levels
Drink

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/banana-tea

Why Does banana tea help you sleep?
2. Promotes Peaceful Sleep. Banana tea contains muscle relaxants like tryptophan, serotonin, and dopamine, which help in treating sleep disorders like insomnia by inducing sleep. Tryptophan, an amino acid, produces sleep-inducing hormones like serotonin and melatonin.
Just checking, its not April 1st is it?

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 3004
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Old Age or something more sinister

Post by noosard » August 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

Not the 1st of April
Try googling banana tea and its benefits

Post Reply

Return to “Open Forum”