Returning to Thailand during Covid 19

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Bonanza
udonmap.com

Returning to Thailand during Covid 19

Post by Bonanza » October 6, 2020, 8:21 pm

I would like to hear from anyone who has recently returned to Thailand from UK/EU. In particular which airline they took, what documentation they required and where they were quarantined. It would be especially helpful if this was a Thai national returning. :D

Unfortunately, trying to get useful info from the Embassies is not working, especially about quarantine locations.

samster
udonmap.com

Re: Returning to Thailand during Covid 19

Post by samster » October 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Bonanza wrote:
October 6, 2020, 8:21 pm
I would like to hear from anyone who has recently returned to Thailand from UK/EU. In particular which airline they took, what documentation they required and where they were quarantined. It would be especially helpful if this was a Thai national returning. :D

Unfortunately, trying to get useful info from the Embassies is not working, especially about quarantine locations.
My partner went on a Thai air repatriation flight from LHR in August.

The documentation was not too problematical. Apart from passport and CoE (issued by Embassy), she needed a fit to fly which was issued by my GP (Covid test not required for Thai nationals)

It was a smooth but time consuming process at LHR and BKK and she wasnt aware of where she was going to quarantine until the bus arrived at the hotel. It was a 4 star location in Jomtien so, very comfortable.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 7, 2020, 7:58 pm

My understanding is that the Royal Thai Embassy (RTE) in London is winding down the repatriation effort inasmuch that Thai nationality returnees can book their own flight with THAI or five other approved carriers. These are Emirates, Etihad, EVA, Qatar and Singapore Airlines. Previously, the RTE was the only entity that could book flights direct with any repatriation carriers. The RTE is still involved with issuing the CoE and will need the flight reservation details to do this. AFAIK, THAI are currently only flying on Sundays but this may change next month. Some of the other carriers may be offering daily service so best to check with the airlines involved.

<edit> I just checked the RTE's website and some time today they increased the list of approved carriers as follows: EVA Air, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss Air, Austrian Airlines, Air France and Cathay Pacific. That gives a whole lot more options. Also note that the free State Quarantine (SQ) is only an option when flying with THAI. It appears that using the others requires the use (booking and pre-paying) Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ).

Here's the link to the RTE page in Thai (I haven't seen a link to an English version). You can use a translate add-on or extension in your browser to see it in English. It's url looks long because I don't think UM's host can handle Thai script but it launched OK in other browsers.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/conte ... 584326eb77

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 8, 2020, 12:17 am

All correct Tam.

Only thing to add is that I have seen complaints today from some people trying to get back that Thai Air have cancelled a flight in December with no explanation. It seems that they may not be a reliable option given their current difficulties but, this is speculation.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 8, 2020, 3:17 am

Thai Airways are generally good, but during covid , and the company going into some sort of financial blow out, they are not my preferred carrier. They cancelled my flight sometime back and it took a month just to get someone from the company to get in touch with me, and then there was no refund, but my ticket is now usable for the next one year..

In addition, I had three flights cancelled on me from three different carriers, and no refund as yet...
it pays to do some research before you purchase a ticket..some web travel sites are selling tickets, even thought the airline is not flying to that destination anymore. it pays to book with the airline themselves..better chance of a refund if something goes wrong..have travel insurance..check the airport you are heading for to see which airlines are entering and departing that airport and country...some airlines have pulled out of some destination due to airport restrictions, and covid requirements for airlines companies and aircrews. Thai Airways told me they hoped to be flying again in December, but that was depending on a number of factors falling into place.

try and get a direct flight, as I had two connecting flights cancel, which then meant I couldnt get to the other flight, so both were canned and monies lost..

rods1201
udonmap.com

Post by rods1201 » October 8, 2020, 4:55 am

Why would you want to is my question.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 8, 2020, 11:08 am

Maaka Said...... it pays to book with the airline themselves !!

Tell that to my friend who did that for 2 Tickets from BKK-CPH Return In April ( Flight Cancelled by THAI,But He's Still WAITING For his Refund ) They Want to make the tickets just Valid for another Year,But He's told them that is NOT Acceptable to Him....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2020, 11:54 am

Also note that despite the Thai MFA adding more airlines, the airlines themselves may not be accepting bookings despite flying to/from Bangkok. For example, if you go to KLM's website, you can currently book a seat on a KLM flight from BKK back to AMS (and onwards) but you can't book anything from AMS to BKK until January. Despite KLM currently using Bangkok as a far east hub for Taipei, Manilla and Kuala Lumpur services and their planes passing through BKK sometimes twice a day, BKK still doesn't show as a destination on their website. Last time I looked, Lufthansa also had a block on outward travel until January. Although the MFA have "approved" these additional carriers, there's been nothing official from CAAT who control that sort of thing. Using an airfare aggregator website rather than the airline's' own website is very risky.

Return to “Open Forum”