Gary Jacobi

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
mak
udonmap.com

Gary Jacobi

Post by mak » May 19, 2020, 11:38 am

Does anyone on the forum know Gary? I have been trying to help Gary with his SS benefits. Gary and his wife live in NK. He is bedridden and basically in a semi coma. I am basically at an impasse. If there is a friend in the area maybe they can help.

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Gary Jacobi

Post by mak » May 19, 2020, 3:00 pm

Gary and his wife.
Attachments
Gary + wife.jpg

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 19, 2020, 4:59 pm

what sort of help do you need

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 19, 2020, 5:29 pm

If there is a friend of his in Thailand maybe they could help. I believe he has family in the US. I visited him last Saturday at the request of the embassy.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 19, 2020, 5:35 pm

As Maaka said help do what specifically ?

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 19, 2020, 8:28 pm

I cant help if you dont elaborate Mak..PM me if you wish..
I dont know the man myself, but if he's in trouble in a foreign country, without family, or friends, then I am only 40km or so away with time to kill on my hands..However, I must state for the record, that I dont have Enduring Power of Attorney if he is semi como condition, to make any calls re his health, finances, life, and I dont have details /contacts of his US family, and I have no rights with the US Embassy, but I am an ex legal begal, have some contacts with the US Embassy, and are not afraid to talk to grieving family members / wife, or guide them at such times.. I have just laid my parents to rest , and dealt with their funerals and estate, so I know a thing or two...I dont want to do it, but if knowone else sticks their hand up, who knows him, then I am in....you will have to give the heads up to him, his wife and the Embassy if I get involved, and I would need family contacts details..etc etc

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 20, 2020, 12:44 pm

He doesn't look that old. Any idea on Gary's age

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 20, 2020, 1:20 pm

72. I believe the photo was taken 17 years ago when he got married in Thailand.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 20, 2020, 4:09 pm

same man I believe
[attachment=1]same man.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]91299856_213859576374402_2867113918185078784_n.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
91299856_213859576374402_2867113918185078784_n.jpg
91299856_213859576374402_2867113918185078784_n.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
same man.jpg

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 20, 2020, 5:56 pm

MAK how can we help?????????????
money, assistance as you say he is bed ridden, what?????

You can also PM if need be

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 21, 2020, 8:12 am

Not sure what your doing Mak..you call for help but dont seem to take it when offered..Perhaps you have found what you want.. All I will add is if Mr Jacobi is a US Military Veteran, that there are a network of VFW service officers in Thailand that help Vets..If you PM me his contact details, branch of service, I will find a VFW service officer closest to his location...

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 21, 2020, 9:18 am

Thanks mak for the PM.. I have sent a couple of PM replies, and will get back to you again in due course.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 22, 2020, 5:53 am

phew cautionary tale , awfully nice of makka to
step up . people pass on , friends leave, and
your network dwindles , getting old in thailand

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 21, 2020, 8:27 am

Maaka and I are still working on this issue. No help from the US bank nor SSA nor his US relatives. Maaka has suggested starting a GoFundMe account for Gary. I am willing to try this. If there is anyone who has experience with GFM, I would appreciate their help. We have most documents, marriage certificate, birth certificate, passport, photos, US Army medals, etc. I would need to take a video showing Gary's condition.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 21, 2020, 9:16 am

^ If the US banks and SSA aren't cooperating, this suggests some issues with authentication? Challenges with proof of life?

Since the OP was asked by the US Embassy to initiate contact last month, have they been advised of his situation? Are they able to suggest a way forward? With Gary in NK, an unwilling or unavailable family back home and the need for any Power of Attorney to be acceptable under the applicable State law in the US, establishing that springing, durable PoA may be the biggest challenge here?

I have no vast experience to offer in the above or with gofundme. I would think the latter would be far faster and reasonably well supported by UM members. However, it should only be considered as an interim solution while work on securing Gary's rights and entitlements continues.

If you can share either Gary's state of birth and the state's where either his bank account and SSA or other entitlements are hosted, I can ask my attorney buddy back in Texas when we chat tomorrow.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 21, 2020, 1:43 pm

the man is Non Compos Mentis, and in a coma, and has been for months, so the Enduring Power of Attorney cannot be gained now. thats where the issue of authentication comes in..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 21, 2020, 2:58 pm

Thanks, I will see if my legal beagle has anything insightful to share.

Did any possible VFW support fall to the same authentication hurdles?

Ta
tam

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 21, 2020, 3:55 pm

Generally when I work with grieving families, or with the sick, or track down the lost, Privacy and confidentiality matters usually kick in. So no bank details, or SSA details for all to see on here. However, there is something to be learned here.

There is only two gateways open to us.. GoFundMe, or a US Court intervention to appoint a Guardian, Conservator or Trust, to manage Garys health and financial affairs. His wife of 17yrs does not have the money to instigate court proceedings in order to gain access to her husbands accounts, so that she can pay for IV drips and other medical needs. (and there is the matter of cost re cremation at a later stage, if US law gives him over to his wife ) There marriage appears not to have been registered with the Embassy, so her position is somewhat weakened under US law.

There is no Will

There is no health insurance

all the Card pin numbers and email passwords, bank passwords, etc are locked in his head

Even though he is a Vietnam vet he is not a VFW member so they couldnt help.

he fell out big time with his family back stateside, so no help there.

He is dying at his rental digs in NK, and his little wife is caring for him daily, she has even borrowed money from her family to get by.

The Embassy does not give out money to citizen overseas or anywhere for health problem..they suggest a loan, but the couple have nothing of value to us as collateral.

so a Go Fund Me thing is the quickest and easiest way I see, of getting money into his wife hands so she can carry on..
any help in this area would be appreciated..thanks

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 21, 2020, 8:43 pm

"There marriage appears not to have been registered with the Embassy, so her position is somewhat weakened under US law."

The marriage must be registered with the Amphur to make it legal. Village marriages are not considered to be legal here in Thailand or the US.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 21, 2020, 11:27 pm

maaka wrote:
June 21, 2020, 3:55 pm
Generally when I work with grieving families, or with the sick, or track down the lost, Privacy and confidentiality matters usually kick in. So no bank details, or SSA details for all to see on here. However, there is something to be learned here.

There is only two gateways open to us.. GoFundMe, or a US Court intervention to appoint a Guardian, Conservator or Trust, to manage Garys health and financial affairs. His wife of 17yrs does not have the money to instigate court proceedings in order to gain access to her husbands accounts, so that she can pay for IV drips and other medical needs. (and there is the matter of cost re cremation at a later stage, if US law gives him over to his wife ) There marriage appears not to have been registered with the Embassy, so her position is somewhat weakened under US law.

There is no Will

There is no health insurance

all the Card pin numbers and email passwords, bank passwords, etc are locked in his head

Even though he is a Vietnam vet he is not a VFW member so they couldnt help.

he fell out big time with his family back stateside, so no help there.

He is dying at his rental digs in NK, and his little wife is caring for him daily, she has even borrowed money from her family to get by.

The Embassy does not give out money to citizen overseas or anywhere for health problem..they suggest a loan, but the couple have nothing of value to us as collateral.

so a Go Fund Me thing is the quickest and easiest way I see, of getting money into his wife hands so she can carry on..
any help in this area would be appreciated..thanks
That unvarnished situation report on Gary's current circumstances, although dire, is very helpful and appreciated.

Without stating the obvious, a gofundme approach is eminently appropriate as a first step in these circumstances.

Return to “Open Forum”