USA Stores Going Under

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
mickojak
udonmap.com

USA Stores Going Under

Post by mickojak » May 16, 2020, 7:15 pm

I've been following a trend of big USA retail stores struggling and closing due to less retail shopping and more internet sales, for a while now.
That was before Corona Virus.
Looks like the nail in the coffin.

Unfortunately, I think there's more to follow.
Lots of empty shopping malls coming to a town near you. (In the USA that is).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-16/ ... y/12256384

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: USA Stores Going Under

Post by vincemunday » May 16, 2020, 7:19 pm

I don’t think things are looking that rosy for shopping malls in the UK either Mick.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 16, 2020, 7:25 pm

Agree

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » May 16, 2020, 7:49 pm

[quote=mickojak post_id=578057 time=1589631338 user_id=26995]
I've been following a trend of big USA retail stores struggling and closing due to less retail shopping and more internet sales, for a while now.
That was before Corona Virus.
Looks like the nail in the coffin.

Unfortunately, I think there's more to follow.
Lots of empty shopping malls coming to a town near you. (In the USA that is).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-16/ ... y/12256384
[/quote]

I agree... A dairy farmer dumps 3000 gallons of milk. I not very encouraged either.

https://www.courierpress.com/picture-ga ... 098652001/
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 16, 2020, 8:17 pm

I don't think a millennial would be caught alive in the likes of JC Penny or Sears. You're doomed to fail if you haven't changed your business model in umpteen years.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 16, 2020, 8:52 pm

The UK high streets have changed so much , coffee shops ,fast food places . Charity shops ,pawn shops. Even shopping centres have pop up shops that only open to sell for Halloween and christmas then close . The virus will be the end as more people discover how easy internet shopping is. 30 minute surfing the internet shopping save loads of time trudging around . It's just the way of the world now .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2020, 9:52 pm

TBH, retail store closures were accelerating in America before Donny John got into the big house. It was one of the unspoken truths through his enduring red capped MAGA ra-ra road shows too.

I mentioned in another thread that lazada hasn't come anything close to making any money since its inception. Being bought by Alibaba didn't change that much. However, in these extremely retail store front challenged times, how can they possibly go wrong? Can you imagine buying your next car online?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 16, 2020, 10:08 pm

I think Amazon struggled with making a profit for several years, then didn't make much profit for several later.
As for a car, our daughter and a few of her friends have bought cars on line, new and second hand. Another of her friends search for older cars and trucks online in drier climates, fix as necessary, and sell again online.
There's a lot more online business going on besides Lazada, Amazon, and eBay...... There newer generation seems entirely comfy with the concept

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 16, 2020, 10:10 pm

tamada wrote:
May 16, 2020, 9:52 pm
TBH, retail store closures were accelerating in America before Donny John got into the big house. It was one of the unspoken truths through his enduring red capped MAGA ra-ra road shows too.

I mentioned in another thread that lazada hasn't come anything close to making any money since its inception. Being bought by Alibaba didn't change that much. However, in these extremely retail store front challenged times, how can they possibly go wrong? Can you imagine buying your next car online?
NO
virtual test drive and a dodgy returns and refund policy .. i have never bought an item from an internet website probably never will , but never say never as my old gran never said !!
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2020, 10:23 pm

^ You are missing out on so much though. Where else can you get a hand exerciser such as below? It's just what's needed as I strive to become the complete pianist.
Screenshot_20200516-222024_1.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 16, 2020, 10:32 pm

tamada wrote:
May 16, 2020, 10:23 pm
^ You are missing out on so much though. Where else can you get a hand exerciser such as below? It's just what's needed as I strive to become the complete pianist.
Screenshot_20200516-222024_1.jpg
Disgusting !!! UM need to monitor such unsavory explicit images ..( bet you ordered that for Yai ... )

BOT .. high streets the UK over are fooked .. pound shops , charity shops , pawn brokers , fast food chains and chippies

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2020, 10:37 pm

...and Greggs.

When I was a more frequent UK visitor, I noticed the implosion of the high street shops in Scotland preceded the same slide south of the border. From my last visit in March, England is as grim and as you describe it so Scotland must be even worse. I wonder if the Wimpy on Union Street in Aberdeen is still open?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 16, 2020, 11:14 pm

Well it will all be different in the future ,so many things can be done online nowdays . When I was back there stuck inside I started a small business . everything I needed from stainless steel bolts ,presses ,custom cut metal plates turned out to all be available through eBay .delivery services seemed to be everywhere and pretty fast and reliable. So purchased all the components I needed , assembled the product and sold it back on eBay . Just a bit of a hobby really , but two months into it I got blocked as it was out selling my limit monthly. Had to explain to eBay and finely they allowed me to move from 3000 quid to 5000 quid a monthly sales. . Nice simple business idea.. all done from a garden shed . I came to the conclusion everything can make money on the internet without expensive shops and huge rates to pay
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 16, 2020, 11:39 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 16, 2020, 10:10 pm
tamada wrote:
May 16, 2020, 9:52 pm

NO
virtual test drive and a dodgy returns and refund policy .. i have never bought an item from an internet website probably never will , but never say never as my old gran never said !!
Never bought goods over the net, but did once buy some after shave from the avon lady, and got a snazzy pair of purple suede flares from the "Traffords" catalogue

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 16, 2020, 11:52 pm

sears & jcpenny were struggling 25 yrs ago . almost ironic as sears went " big time" way back
when with a catalog the size of a phone book and
what i gather was mail order business . yes, they
started in 20s. sears&roebuck classic americana

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 16, 2020, 11:54 pm

When my daughter buys something on Amazon and wants to return it, she notifies Amazon, no excuse needed, prints out the return shipping label provided by Amazon, throws it in a box, and drops it off at a nearby mailing facility. The clerk scans in the return label and she's refunded. Simple simple

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2020, 12:01 am

Or you a tell the girl at the store "hey luv, this is broken" and she can give you an all new unbroken one immediately :-k

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 17, 2020, 12:26 am

papafarang wrote:
May 16, 2020, 11:14 pm
Well it will all be different in the future ,so many things can be done online nowdays . When I was back there stuck inside I started a small business . everything I needed from stainless steel bolts ,presses ,custom cut metal plates turned out to all be available through eBay .delivery services seemed to be everywhere and pretty fast and reliable. So purchased all the components I needed , assembled the product and sold it back on eBay . Just a bit of a hobby really , but two months into it I got blocked as it was out selling my limit monthly. Had to explain to eBay and finely they allowed me to move from 3000 quid to 5000 quid a monthly sales. . Nice simple business idea.. all done from a garden shed . I came to the conclusion everything can make money on the internet without expensive shops and huge rates to pay
Sales of that level will not buy you an
island but can you imagine we all just stay in the house and no more perving about the girl serving. Pies are great Dean

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 17, 2020, 7:09 am

papafarang wrote:
May 16, 2020, 8:52 pm
The UK high streets have changed so much , coffee shops ,fast food places . Charity shops ,pawn shops. Even shopping centres have pop up shops that only open to sell for Halloween and christmas then close . The virus will be the end as more people discover how easy internet shopping is. 30 minute surfing the internet shopping save loads of time trudging around . It's just the way of the world now .
Greedy councils with massive commercial rates , poor high street planning and zoning , yet expensive licensing , have been killing the British high street for years .
Add to that expensive utility bills , expensive labour and silly employment laws , then its no wonder shop are closing down and family run businesses are giving up and closing their doors .
They are all going the way of the local corner pub , being converted into flats .

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 17, 2020, 9:41 am

tamada wrote:
May 16, 2020, 10:37 pm
...and Greggs.

When I was a more frequent UK visitor, I noticed the implosion of the high street shops in Scotland preceded the same slide south of the border. From my last visit in March, England is as grim and as you describe it so Scotland must be even worse. I wonder if the Wimpy on Union Street in Aberdeen is still open?
Your showing your age here wimpy on Union Street became KFC years ago. The only wimpy left in Aberdeen is at Codonas at the beach

Return to “Open Forum”