Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by parrot » April 2, 2020, 7:55 am

noosard wrote:
April 2, 2020, 7:45 am
You should be able to put 20bht on your phone worth 30 days
do 5 times covered for 150 days
if you cant I can do for you pm me
Thanks for the offer. I can top up using my phone app for SCB. But I have a 6 month package that gives me internet and pay per call. If like to drop the internet but keep the number......I'll call their hotline and see if I can sort this through. Thanks, again

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 2, 2020, 10:36 am

.Thanks, Ken....... For delivering the mail. I've depended on it for several items....
https://youtu.be/xGKFVMgjrPc

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 2, 2020, 3:03 pm

parrot wrote:
April 2, 2020, 2:33 am
I didn't ask TOT to stop my fiber service (590baht/month) before I left.....but wonder if I should try a call to their 1100 center and see if that's possible now.
I cancelled my AIS internet service by email. Needed to give 31 days notice so still need to pay for 1 month. They said they could reconnect immediately on my return.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 3, 2020, 3:39 am

A week or so after we arrived in Texas, I saw an Asian lady wearing winter gloves and a mask while shopping.....a stark contrast to the scene in Suvarnaphumi when we left with 90+% of people wearing masks. A week or so ago, the numbers of people with masks started creeping up. Today at the Vietnamese market......fresh veggie day.....most everyone inside the store had on masks and many people were wearing gloves.

The park where I take our daughter's 100lb german shepherd had all the picnic tables closed off, the playground closed and the basketball rims removed. The track and trails were still open.

On our way back from the $66 Vietnamese store run, we had the pleasure of being the first at a RR crossing with a Texan train passing by. No oil, no coal, but loads and loads of double-stacked 57' trailers, two huge engines at the start and another toward the middle. One can only imagine what's inside the train cars.....maybe loads of t.p. or pasta or rice or beans or hospital equipment.........one can only wonder as the 112 cars passed by. Whatever was inside, I'd guess none or few of the containers were empty. Having been in Panama for a few years and Thailand for many, I enjoyed the 10 minutes or so waiting for the train to pass to ponder the efficiencies of intermodal transcontinental rail shipping. Ultimately most all those trailers will be on the road restocking the multitude of stores that we all depend on.

My daughter and I are capping off each evening with an hour of Joe Exotic on Netflix after catching up on Lester Holt's recap of the days events. The Democratic Convention has been resheduled from July to August, but as the Covid curve (or curse) continues a steep upward climb, I have to wonder if even that will happen. And if it doesn't happen then, one has to wonder what will happen to the November elections. I can file my taxes online, send money back and forth thousands of miles with the flick of a few fingers, order you-name-it on Amazon, and buy a car that can pretty much completely drives itself (once the country gets comfortable with the idea)......but I can't vote for a president online. Come on, milllennials, there's gotta be a better way.

Instead of my traditional bowl of noodle soup (in Thailand), I'm on a diet of things like breakfast tacos with fresh tortillas, egg, bacon, fried serrano peppers, and a healthy dose of Yellowbird Serrano sauce.....washed down with a cuppa cappucchino. With my new pants with expandable waistline, I can do this for a few months and work it off in fewer when (if) we return to Thailand

Finally, when we return, one of the first things we'll buy, after groceries, will be an air fryer. Our daughter has a Cosori 5.5liter model.......It works a treat.
Attachments
IMG_20200402_153033.jpg
Screenshot_20200402-141333_Gallery.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 3, 2020, 7:30 am

Excellent read Mr Parrot ..THANK YOU
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 4, 2020, 12:37 pm

Udon Map wrote:
March 31, 2020, 10:26 pm
parrot wrote:
March 31, 2020, 10:05 pm
Part of my daily dose of meditation is listening to the evening news with Lester Holt. He's sort of the modern day Walter Cronkite. Just give me the facts and leave the political leanings to Fox and Friends.
Completely agree with you, both about U.S. news programs generally, and Lester Holt specifically. I just want the facts. When I want opinions, I know where to get them.
I had ended up watching Lester Holt too. I first came across the NBC Nightly News by typing "Coronavirus" into youtube. Before Covid 19 I barely watched any US "television news".
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 6, 2020, 5:21 am

I count myself as fortunate to be 70 and still able to cut grass, unload a few tons of mulch/compost, or hack down a few large branches with a chainsaw for our daughter. I asked our daughter why I didn't see other 70 year olds walking their daughter's 100 pound german shepherd for a daily 2 mile walk.....she said they were all in nursing homes. With that, she reported that a nursing home in the city had an outbreak of Covid where several residents died, so there'd probably be plenty of vacancies if I was interested. I declined.
I chalk up my still good health to living in Thailand for 23 years.....a totally different diet and way of life than I would have led had we stayed in the US.
While our diet remains mostly Thai food, cooked at home here in Texas, I have indulged in a few dishes of TexMex, always taking time to knick my chin or lip with the razor.....so the drip of habanero sauce gives an extra kick when it hits the injured skin. I'm confident that whatever lingering Covid cells might be on the take-home food dies a sudden death with the hot sauce.
On the positive side, after a hard days work in the yard, the daughter treats me to home concoctions of freshly mashed Mexican guava, prickly pear, serrano pepper, and tequila (or vodka)......or when the bar's closed, a Dos Equis with a slice of lime inside and the moist outside sprinkled with grapefruit salt.
All's well......but still looking forward to returning to Udon......someday.
Attachments
IMG_20200405_164424.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 12, 2020, 6:05 am

Although we feel comfy where we're at in Texas, I'm thankful our daughter doesn't live in NY or NJ! Most everyone here seems to be good with masks and keeping safe distance from others.

Like Tom Hanks marooned on the island, all we can do is ride out the storm and wait to be rescued. I read today on TV about a Thai wife who is in Hawaii.....parents very sick in Nongkai, and she can't return. As we have no real family remaining in Thailand other than Thai friends, I guess we're fortunate to be here rather than there.....in the event....

So Dr Fauci says "I don't think we (as Americans) should ever shake hands again." That'd certainly be one of the transformational things to come out of all of this. I'm not a big fan of the wai......too many people do it too often. I'd prefer just a wave of the hand as a greeting. But a wai is better than shaking someone's hands after they've been sneezing or coughing in them or after they've exited a bathroom with no towels to use to dry off....been there done that.

Home Pro in the US is sort of like Global on steroids......they have most everything and most of the people who work there can direct you to the correct aisle or give advice if you need it. I noticed that probably 80% of the power tools.....circular saws, lawnmowers, weedwackers, drills, etc etc are all battery operated now. I don't know if I'd be ready for a battery operated lawnmower just yet, but the DeWalt and Makita power tools look like they're up to the task.
On that note, the 25,000 Baht Honda HRJ216 that I from the big dealer in Buriram is one of the good deals in Thailand. It's commercial grade, powerful enough for our acre of land, and is a Honda from the engine to the springs to the tires. A similar Honda mower here costs pretty much the same......or more. I'm trying to figure out a way to bring a 16" chainsaw to Thailand.......probably can't do it, but there's a significant benefit to having 16" rather than 11" when it comes to hacking down big trees, which seems to be a regular occurrence in our yard in Udon.

A number of friends of ours in Thailand ask for updates via LINE. I'm not a fan of finger typing on my mobile phone....but the jelly comb keyboard that our daughter bought me allows me to switch between my tablet and smartphone with a single key press. The $25 keyboard works like a champ.

Missing Thailand.....but thankful for plan B's.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 12, 2020, 7:11 am

^ Do you mean Home Depot? What I like most about Home Depot and Lowe's in the US is that staff are trained to regularly check the aisles and put stuff back in the right place after the neophyte DIY'er has dumped the 3/4" fittings in the 1/2" fittings tray after he finally found what he was really looking for. Home Pro in Thailand tends to put returned items back on the shelf at the same price, regardless of the fact that it was returned because it was either broken or had bits missing.

Isn't the restriction on sale of bigger chainsaws in Thailand only applicable to foreigners? Can Thai's buy bigger than 11" ? Or maybe it's only "licensed" woodsmen that can buy the big ones here?

Maybe your wife could pack the 16" in her checked baggage? If/when she can I mean.

There's a desktop version of LINE (and WhatsApp) you can download so you can log-in and have on-screen messages in real-time with your smartphone and respond using your regular keyboard. Both are free.

Stay safe over there. Houston, TX has the highest infection rate in the state so trust that you are as far away as you can get and not stuck in Pasadena like Kenr.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 12, 2020, 7:50 am

Tam, yes, I meant Home Depot. Added Benny for me at Home Depot and Lowe's is I get 10%military discount.

I've seen a few larger chainsaws in Thailand, but never in the stores. One man told me he modified a small chainsaw with a long bar. I'll have to do more checking when we return.

My desktop in Udon uses my smartphone line account. I'm comy now with the keyboard bluetoothed to my smartphone here.

All's well......stay safe everyone

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 12, 2020, 11:18 am

parrot wrote:
April 12, 2020, 6:05 am
I'm trying to figure out a way to bring a 16" chainsaw to Thailand.......probably can't do it, but there's a significant benefit to having 16" rather than 11" when it comes to hacking down big trees, which seems to be a regular occurrence in our yard in Udon.
It isn’t difficult to bring the saw back, just take the bar off, drain the fluids, a couple of weeks or more before returning and make sure the petrol tank is open to allow all trace to flash off, don’t forget the fuel in the carburettor. Put the whole thing in a couple of strong plastic bags for extra safety then put it in your checked bags, no problem. I’ve brought many tools in, in my checked baggage.

The only point is that though the smaller saws do not need a licence any more you may have to get one for that size.

As to chain bars, they are easily changed, the attachment is the same for every bar in the range from the same company, though too long a bar will slow down or stall an underpowered engine.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 12, 2020, 11:49 am

I thought you were only allowed a small chainsaw, under 16" ( so one didnt cut big trees) illegal logging and all that..

I have bought post hole borers, mowers, in my check on suitcase, and inside specially built wooden boxes..I was refused first up with the motor mower engine. Cant have that Sir. It might have petrol in it. Its brand new, off the ruddy self. So it may Sir, but sometimes they leave petrol in them when testing them.. Bollocks. Look Mate, sniff it. its never had petrol in it.. Still Sir..Check with Qantas over there..Helloooo..Yes.. I have a motor in a box and was told to bring it here. What for. So you could check it I suppose..I no nothing about motors..whats it for..mowing the lawn..why would you take it. Because I can and live in the middle of nowhere...I will have to phone Sydney..OK....
Sir, you will have to fill out and sign this form..But its for backpackers camp stoves..Still.. Do you have the receipt from the shop to show it is brand new.. No..Why would I bring that here. I bought it months ago..Then you cant take it. But I have filled out the form. Why did you do that. Because you told me too.. You cant take it. But it meets the requirements stated here re the lid has been off for weeks, and the fuel has been tipped out..I have said you cant take, so filling the form out now wont help. Then what will I do with it.. Locker hire over there. What for 3 months at $17 per day.
I had to jump in a cab and race off to a mates place near the airport...months later I had another go. I rang Thai Airways and said I have a new petrol engine in a special made wooden box. Just show us when you Check in ..Your the man with the engine. Yup thats me..can you just show Pim at the other counter..Sure..New, no petrol..looks ok koopkun kap..go with this man from TA and check in thru Oversize gate..Whats in there mate..an engine..Cant bring that thru here Sir it might explode. The Airways have cleared it. This is there man..Oh in that case................
My son is Bomb Squad, Michelin Man, rubber suit, and he understood the blokes concern..So check with the airline

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 12, 2020, 12:20 pm

maaka wrote:
April 12, 2020, 11:49 am
I thought you were only allowed a small chainsaw, under 16" ( so one didnt cut big trees) illegal logging and all that..
Bigger ones with a licence are OK but I think the limit without is 12”

I have cut down reasonably large trees years ago with a 15” bar

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 18, 2020, 3:17 am

We went to the Texas version of Villa Market a few days ago. I think my biggest bill at Villa in Udon was less than a 1000 Baht.....excepting for a few times of stocking up on liquor. Villa Texas is a bit different....typical bills run $60 or so, but the last bill was $130ish. Yes, beer, wine, and liquor are 'cheap' in the US, but you'll make up the difference if your wife is Thai, worse still if you eat Thai food, too, and worse still if your wife, you, and daughter all eat Thai. I'm not complaining.....actually happy that such a wide variety of veggies and other Thai ingredients are readily available.

Last night our daughter wanted to grill some steaks in the backyard, but didn't have charcoal. I took several oak logs with some kindling and a battery operated blower to get the fire roaring in a few minutes. Learned that trick from an Italian friend who lived in Udon.

I listened to a podcast a few days ago about rising xenophobia in China. A friend of mine in Guangdong is concerned after living there for 25 years. I wondered what other governments might find the Covid pandemic an opportunity to crank up the authoritarian controls over their countries. plan b

I'm more convinced that the pandemic will result in significant changes in society. After attending the funeral for one of my older brothers 5 years ago, I only half-jokingly told my remaining 4 that future funerals should be done over facebook (rather than me traveling 9000km). Today, that's becoming reality for most deaths, not just Covid. Families spread out across the US or world can't travel or hold gatherings. I've long told my wife to send me to the incinerator and, later, if she so desires, have a small gathering along the banks of the Mekong and spread my ashes. My brother's funeral.....no wake at the funeral home, open casket at the church on the day of the funeral, then cremated and ashes buried next to my parents in a small urn. $8000. The funeral director handed me a legal envelope at the cemetery with a few Tbsp of my brother's ashes. After I returned to Udon, my wife and I and a few friends who my brother me on a previous visit went to Nongkai, hired a monk to take us out on the Mekong and spread the remainder of his ashes there. I can deal with that.

More later.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200417-140247~2.jpg

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 18, 2020, 6:04 am

Just a thought regarding the chainsaw. If the petrol tank is easily removable, perhaps the saw, less tank, would be allowed to accompany you on the plane. I leave it to you for handling the task of getting a petrol tank later.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2020, 6:29 am

TJ wrote:
April 18, 2020, 6:04 am
Just a thought regarding the chainsaw. If the petrol tank is easily removable, perhaps the saw, less tank, would be allowed to accompany you on the plane. I leave it to you for handling the task of getting a petrol tank later.
For most chainsaws both the petrol and the oil tank are integrated into the engine, this is essential given that you need the engine to function whichever orientation it’s in and few of them have fuel pumps.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 18, 2020, 3:11 pm

You're lucky Parrot.!

We only have a couple of oriental food stores where I live in the UK. Took my g/f to one just before lockdown. Its warehouse style and, after browsing for 10 minutes, she asked to leave - it looked too dirty for her!

In lockdown for 1 month now and, mostly western food cooked by me.

Cant wait to get home!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2020, 2:43 am

Another waay back then story....when we first moved to Udon in 1996 we had an American neighbor who had lived in Udon since the end of the VN war days. He hadn't been back to the US in 20 or so years. Whenever we'd talk about things in the US, he'd talk about things from 20 years ago as if they were that way still (1996). Obviously he was out-of-touch. As I was just beginning my days as an expat, I made a mental note to not let myself get out of touch with 'the reality of living in the US', even if I had no intention of returning to live permanently again. Our regular trips back to the US give me an opportunity to see first hand the reality.....the goods along with the bads. I know that the protester wrapped up in an American flag slinging an AN-15, or the people who blame all the world's woes on a lax immigration policy aren't something that Fox News cooks up......it's reality. It's easier to understand how certain people get elected despite their warped views on science or the constitution or immigration. It's easier to understand how someone might believe Dr. Phil over Dr. Fauci......even though I could never agree with that way of thinking. It's reality for a lot of people. Sigh.

Along those lines, it's also comforting to have lived in a developing country where I get to see things improve......power, water, internet, driving, banking among the many. This latest visit......I'm amazed at the number of people in the US who still struggle with good cell phone coverage, or people who live in small towns who have very low speed internet coverage, or people who are paying $300+ for monthly electric despite living with little need to heat/cool. One brother who lives in a large town in Pennsylvania has had several power outages due to storms over the years where he's gone for several days without electric. Compare that to the max 14 hour power outage in Udon when the roof flew off of St Mary's......or the fiber optic link that I have 18km outside of Udon.....or the convenience of cooling only the rooms we need to cool rather than an entire house.....or the dirt cheap cell phone and internet bills we pay in Udon.......or the convenience of having your vehicle gassed up without needing to get out of the vehicle......or paying peanuts for having our new truck serviced at Toyota....or being able to walk into Bangkok Hospital without an appointment and seeing a doctor within minutes....or taking your pet to the vet without an appointment and without emptying your wallet when you leave, or drying your clothes on a line not to save money but because it makes such good cents (sic).

For sure, there are pluses to liviing in the US, but when you put all the pluses and negatives of living in Udon on a scale, the balance always tips in favor of living the life of an expat, even though there may be a fair amount of minuses on that scale. If it weren't that way, I can't imagine deciding to live my retired life in a place where I felt out of place or as a second class citizen (yes, I know......we're visitors), or refused benefits that the locals have and we don't.

Soon enough, we hope, we'll be able to return to our small plot of paradise in the jungle where we'll quickly forget about the pluses that we give up when we leave our home country. Otherwise, why would we be there?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2020, 7:04 am

Some businesses have learned to adapt and stay in business. This card greeted our daughter when she received a gift from a friend. The company deals in succulents from California
Attachments
Screenshot_20200421-185952_Gallery.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2020, 5:36 am

This now available in selected stores
Attachments
Screenshot_20200424-173549_Gallery.jpg

Return to “Open Forum”