Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by noosard » April 25, 2020, 6:35 am

I like your rosy glasses

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 29, 2020, 1:56 am

Closing in on May with our 7 May return date cancelled and no immediate idea of when we'll be allowed to return......the mental gymnastics wheel continues to turn. Is it time to consider cashing in the chips on our nearly 24 year vacation in Thailand? We're not prepared to do that......yet......but the thought comes up on occasion. Depending on what you hear or read in the news, one day looks promising that this will all blow over soon enough, but then you hear respected experts say the end is nowhere near in sight. One day testing (both kinds) is the answer to our problems, but then you hear that about second waves.
Except for a few first years in Thailand, we've never been the type that socializes much. As we grew used to living in the jungle (18km from Udon), we enjoyed a quiet life, largely free of traffic and crowds. When the bug hit us,we'd go to Central or out with a few friends or a trip to a different province.....but as we grew older, we'd walk out of Central or Lotus with few items, if anything. Our markets kept us well supplied with most all the essentials. And so it is in Texas......other than the Amazon delivery person who makes almost daily stops here, and a plumber who replaced a 20+ year old bath faucet that was leaking ($160 for the fixture and $225 for the labor), no one has stepped foot into our house. I walk a 100 pound german shepherd each day for 2 miles.....sometimes walking in the street because of a lack of traffic.
In one month of regular Texas traffic and a month and a half of zero traffic, I haven't had the chill of a single ย้อนศร heading in my direction or the urge to question the qualifications of a single driver.....on the highway at 75mph or in the neighborhood where most adhere to residential speed limits. I wonder if that'll change if'n'when the roads fill up and things get back to normal.
In many ways, life under covid in the US.....laid back, no rush to get things done because there's always tomorrow.....appeals to me as much as life in the jungle. The big question is whether life as we knew it P.C. will be as appealing as life P.C. (pre/post).
For the time, we've got plan A in the jungle and plan B in Texas.......and I get a good night's sleep either way.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 29, 2020, 3:03 am

I think many foreign governments will be very wary of permitting international travel to and from the US while the US is the global hot spot for Covid 19.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 29, 2020, 2:43 pm

You've summed up how I'm feeling Parrot. I'm missing Thailand but the "new" Western world makes you look at things with a rosy tint and consider options. Life is laid back at the moment but, things will get back to normal and the Western world will, for me at least, soon lose its appeal.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 4, 2020, 7:23 am

samster wrote:
April 29, 2020, 2:43 pm
You've summed up how I'm feeling Parrot. I'm missing Thailand but the "new" Western world makes you look at things with a rosy tint and consider options. Life is laid back at the moment but, things will get back to normal and the Western world will, for me at least, soon lose its appeal.
Likewise we're missing Thailand.....but as the days continue to click by, wondering whether this will turn out to be movie length feature or a long-running series. Some thoughts that occurred to me today:

Getting old hasn't made traveling any easier.....9-11 took a lot of the fun out of flying but flying with a mask for xx hours?? Unless the collective world is able to put the pandemic to rest, traveling to most any overseas location is likely to be met with extra precautions on the part of the arriving country. If restrictions are lifted, followed by another outbreak, what does that do to the sense of security of traveling anywhere....whether you're in Thailand or not?

I know there are/have been a fair share of expats who work overseas, then travel back to Thailand to their homes and families. Likewise, I've known several Udon expats who spend several months in their home country to be with grandkids, then back to Thailand to recharge. Four years ago I traveled back to the US on a dime to attend one of my brother's funerals. I left with the intention of returning in a few weeks. Today, if travel restrictions were lifted, and I was in Thailand, I'm not sure I'd want to gamble on being able to return. Or you're on a retirement visa and travel outside Thailand with the intention of returning in time to renew your extension.

On the brighter side, I rebuilt our daughter's fire pit benches.....4x4's and 2x10's. If wood prices in the US have gone up over the years, it's not by much. And way back before we moved to Thailand, you could find a handful of straight lumber at places like Home Depot/Lowe's, but usually required picking through a pallet to find good pieces. Something's changed in the ensuing years as it seems most all the lumber is better quality than back then. And it is nice to walk into one of those stores and ask a clerk for info about a product and get answers.

It's been a banner year for mangoes on our land in Udon.....unfortunately we're not there to enjoy the fruits of our labor. We get good mangoes in the stores in Texas, but they pale in comparison to some of the varieties we grow or buy in Thailand.

That's all the news for this post.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 4, 2020, 8:43 am

Always enjoy reading your updates parrot. You make some very good points, both pro and con, regarding the decision making process in selecting residence location. We have a small home in Missouri and intended to be there currently, but of course, circumstances have prohibited that. Right now we are glad to still be in Thailand as conditions in Udon Thani seem to be better than in much of the U.S.A. That could change at any time though.

The travel does get more onerous and I don't expect that to improve. I'm not sure now when we will be able make the trip back to the States but as you pointed out the situation is so fluid returning to Thailand could become a huge issue as well. I suspect the cost of air travel may also become a big consideration. That particular industry is in a shambles.

We are content here in Udon but uncertainties seem to be expanding. Civil unrest could impact decision making in both the U.S.A. and Thailand. Actually, that could become a global problem. Many people's financial resources are disappearing quickly.

Hope you can make it back to kilo 18 with minimal difficulty and in good time.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 15, 2020, 3:43 am

Still marooned in Texas, time for an update on thoughts about the pandemic:

Our May return flight was cancelled, and we rescheduled for June. That was also cancelled a few days ago. This is the conundrum we're in now.....are we going in July/August/2021/2025 or possibly never? There's not a หมอดูู​ on the planet that can predict the outcome. You watch the news.....one side says one thing and the other something completely different. If you believe the first, you're not going anywhere anytime soon, the other, we're back open for business. In the end, it's not going to matter much what the US does, it matters what Thailand does about opening the doors again to international travelers.
There seems to be more and more pressure on the Thai government to reopen the doors (and save the beleaguered hotel/tourist/airline business), but who are they going to let in and how are they going to make them feel welcome as tourists, not outsiders harboring some potentially fatal disease? If they open the doors to one particular country, say the Chinese, and China has another outbreak, then what?
Given the current state of affairs in the US (Wisconsin opening up wide on court order overruling the governor), and given the unliklihood of a vaccine soon, I'm thinking we're likely to leave much later rather than anytime soon.
The eeriness in all this is being unable to wrap your hands around the uncertainty, not in a fearful way, but more in not knowing what the future holds........almost like having some rare form of disease that usually comes with a death sentence or slim chance of survival. The doctors give you chemo and you bounce back up only to relapse......with each time the outlook is dimmer than the time before.
To other things: like when China locked down a gazillion people in Wuhan in January and I thought, 'that's only a thing an authoritarian government could get away with'. But then you look at the current numbers there (assuming they're close to believeable, and think, maybe the authoritatian way was the way all along. I have little doubt that the leader there is looking at the scoreboard: China 1.x billion people with 4600 deaths (plus probably several thousand....even if it's several tens of thousands!): US 230 million with 85,000 dead (plus or minus depending on what flavor of news you listen to). Seems the darwinians win, hands down. I'll guess most of the population there would rather be in their junk rather than the floundering ship charting the waters in the US and elsewhere.
We'll be back on one of the first planes allowed back in Thailand, 14 day quarantine or not...........until then, we're thankful for having a plan B.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 15, 2020, 4:17 am

Taiwan and New Zealand are better models to look at than China as how to handle this virus. Before I can fly to Thailand the Consulate in Toronto indicated that I will need a written letter from a doctor that states I do not have covid-19, and that I am covered for up to U.S. $100,000 in insurance, and a letter from the insurance company that coverage includes covid treatment. Also, after things open up at the end of May, I will have to spend two weeks in quarantine in a designated Bangkok hotel at my expense.

I am scheduled to leave Toronto on 27 June via Eva (Taiwan) Airlines. So far, the flight is still scheduled to fly on that date.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 15, 2020, 6:20 am

parrot wrote:
May 15, 2020, 3:43 am
We'll be back on one of the first planes allowed back in Thailand, 14 day quarantine or not...........until then, we're thankful for having a plan B.
I think that that should read We'll be back on one of the first planes allowed back in Thailand with passengers from North America.

I will not be amazed If that is much much later than China (new cases yesterday 7, active cases 104) Than USA (new cases yesterday 23,000, active cases 1,020,000) or Canada (new cases yesterday 1,121, active cases 35,000)

Even if those numbers are not completely accurate they are certainly suggestive.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 15, 2020, 7:20 am

I forgot to add to thoughts to my last report:
First, for years I talked about cremations in Thailand, always talking about pushing the body into the 'crematorium' as the final act at the funeral. Today, I learned that the name of the incinerator is a 'retort'. Learn something new everyday.

Finally, in thoughts......3000 soldiers or so died after the Mission Accomlished banner was hung during the war in Iraq. Somehow, I feel we're back there with the same mission accomplished sign hanging in the US.
retort, retort, retort, retort

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 21, 2020, 6:27 am

Progress. https://www.bangkokpost.com/ Cambodia opening flights from the US.

Barber shops open in Texas.....I got the 2 1/2 month shag carpet on top of my head (mostly to the rear of the top) trimmed. Still complaining about haircut prices in Udon? Stop! On the positive side, the barbress cut my hair exactly the way I wanted. I've found a few barbers in Udon who can do that, but it seems they disappear as fast as I can find one. In the meantime, I'm usually left with a shrug of the head at what's done. It is what it is, once it's clipped.

There's what looks to be a major water project in the works in the southern part of A. Pen. Anyone out that way know what the plan is?

Traffic starting to pick up on the roads here in Texas.....the natives are restless. I'm ready for the rainy season in Udon, instead of being marooned in Texas.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 21, 2020, 6:46 am

parrot wrote:
May 21, 2020, 6:27 am
I'm ready for the rainy season in Udon
We're ready for it too.
Been as hot as ---- here.
Every bit of rain seems like a miracle.
Bring it on, and soon :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 21, 2020, 7:22 am

parrot wrote:
May 21, 2020, 6:27 am

I'm ready for the rainy season in Udon, instead of being marooned in Texas.
You will certainly be able to be in Thailand for the rainy season, though it could well be the 2021 season :?

There is a really difficult decision coming.

0) Thailand has COVID controlled
1) Thailand needs tourism.
2) Thailand can not afford to allow COVID carriers in.

Will people from countries like the USA (the current centre of COVID) with infection above single digits be allowed in? Or will they have to wait until they have controlled it.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 21, 2020, 7:50 am

During our dinner discussion, we talked about places like Cambodia (Vietnam, China, etc?) opening up to tourists. I realize that places like Vietnam have some catching up to do on the tourism-infrastructure side, but they've got a gazillion miles of beach and jungle to satisfy the appetite of tourists. If Thailand gets too far behind the curve and not clean up some of the environmental issues that they've been suffering, they may not be able to catch up later. Just a dinner thought.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 21, 2020, 8:10 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 21, 2020, 7:22 am

Will people from countries like the USA (the current centre of COVID) with infection above single digits be allowed in? Or will they have to wait until they have controlled it.
get off it . there are 360 million people in u.s.a.
statistically , no more dangerous than coming
from britland . oh, and not packed like sardines

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 21, 2020, 10:49 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 8:10 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 21, 2020, 7:22 am

statistically , no more dangerous than coming
from britland . oh, and not packed like sardines
You obviously didn’t understand, that countries like the USA (that is the world leader in infection) that have infection rates above single digits includes most countries very few are in single digits

But as to statistical safety you’re not correct as American has 10 times of the number of active cases compared to the U.K. While only having 5X times the population. So statistically twice as dangerous. But anyway neither country is likely to have easy access to Thailand soon.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 21, 2020, 11:42 am

we have 250k cases in u.k. and 1.5 million in u.s.
60 million people in u.k. , 360 million in u.s. ( total
population) the proportions are nearly identical?

all these extraneous factors you mix in the equation, are equally true for u.k. population ?

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 21, 2020, 11:51 am

were you a mathmatics/ statistics major at university? maybe if you provided some background , we would allow you to alter the figures reported, give you some latitude to make the expert corrections ,deviations from given #'s

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 21, 2020, 1:44 pm

mech_401 wrote:
May 21, 2020, 8:10 am
Actually, more like 330 million.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 21, 2020, 1:58 pm

"There ya go Paul right on the money.

"The current population of the United States of America is 330,774,664 as of Tuesday, May 19, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data. the United States 2020 population is estimated at 331,002,651 people at mid year according to UN data. the United States population is equivalent to 4.25% of the total world population "

Return to “Open Forum”