Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
cjd01
udonmap.com

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by cjd01 » May 27, 2020, 11:43 am

mickojak wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:38 am
Cj
Im in same boat is you
Im gunna apply for a 1 year extension of stay. Gives us a year with only 90 day reporting.
Apparrently can then do that forever.
Bit more work than non o outside country but once done once, should be easy after that.
Mick
Hey Mick
can you pm me the details
Thank

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 27, 2020, 12:54 pm

the-monk wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:35 am
Papafarang you lost me... If you have a multiple entry Non O visa, which is a permission of stay, unless your permission of stay has expired, or will expire before July 31st, why would you need to cross the border within 7 days after July 31st? ? Why the 7 days ?
Thanks for the info. Stay safe , have a pleasant day.
A non O relies on having to cross the boarder , I can't go to immo as they don't deal with them , unless I want say a 60 day extention . It came up a couple of days ago that as no matter what I have to wait untill I can cross where as other people who arrived on say a 30 visa exempt have Ben allowed to stay untill 31st of July . But if they open say in mid July I have just 7 days to get my ass across , where as the people stuck will still be able to stay , easy way of looking at it is my visa is only available outside the country . Anyone on VOA will have to hope they extend it or find some flight somewhere else after the 31st . Just a friggin nightmare really
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 27, 2020, 3:12 pm

papafarang wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:16 am
Turns out the visa relaxation untill the 31st of July don't apply as such to me , as I have a multiply entry non O visa I'm exempt untill boarders open again . It's a boarder pass which means I could leave and enter Thailand as many times as I like. So the theory is if they don't open the boarder by 31st of July I'm still covered past that date as my visa relies on boarders being open.. don't we love All this mess. My problem is realising when they do open then I have 7 days to cross , and can you imagine 3-4 months of people trying to cross in one week ,and how busy consulates will be with possibly 10s of thousands needing new visas . Oh the joy the next couple of months will bring
You are incorrect. You do not have a border pass, they are only available to nationals of the adjacent countries (Burmese,Cambodians, Malaysians and Laotians), possibly other Asian country national’s as well.

You entered with a visa so the amnesty defiantly applies to you. There is no news on a continuation of this but it’s certainly possible.

If in fact you had a border pass you would be required to leave within 7 days of the borders opening even if that were July 1st, however you currently have permission to stay until July 31st.

I strongly advise anyone who wants to stay long term in Thailand who is/has been using the multi entry visa option to switch to a 1 year extension now.
If you can do that your long term residence in Thailand is settled. If you don’t you may find that you can and must leave but cannot comply with the new entry requirements, they are likely to be restrictive and may include a catch 22 COVID test that you can not get.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 27, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 27, 2020, 3:25 pm

cjd01 wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:34 am
papafarang wrote:
Turns out the visa relaxation untill the 31st of July don't apply as such to me , as I have a multiply entry non O visa I'm exempt untill boarders open again . It's a boarder pass which means I could leave and enter Thailand as many times as I like. So the theory is if they don't open the boarder by 31st of July I'm still covered past that date as my visa relies on boarders being open.. don't we love All this mess. My problem is realising when they do open then I have 7 days to cross , and can you imagine 3-4 months of people trying to cross in one week ,and how busy consulates will be with possibly 10s of thousands needing new visas . Oh the joy the next couple of months will bring
Can you explain where you got this info
I have an multi entry OA due for to expire in July but if could cross a border would get an extra year
Thanks
papafarang Is confusing boarder passes and visa/visa exempt entries.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to do a boarder hop in July, you can certainly leave but return is problematic.

You will be best advised to extend on the basis of marriage/care of Thai citizen, if that applies to you, or retirement if it does not.

While you can certainly stay until July 31st there is no guarantee that you will be able to get either a short or long term extension of stay beyond the government amnesty, once your current permission to stay finishes. You now have options that you probably will not after your current permission to stay finishes.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 27, 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 27, 2020, 3:27 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 27, 2020, 9:30 am
....if the regs on returning are OTT.
And there's the problem. viewtopic.php?p=579818#p579816

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 27, 2020, 5:59 pm

border - a demarcation line separating countries

boarder - someone staying at a hotel , guesthouse

maybe you brits could play scrabble for beers :-k

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 27, 2020, 11:04 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 27, 2020, 3:25 pm
cjd01 wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:34 am
papafarang wrote:
Can you explain where you got this info
I have an multi entry OA due for to expire in July but if could cross a border would get an extra year
Thanks
papafarang Is confusing boarder passes and visa/visa exempt entries.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to do a boarder hop in July, you can certainly leave but return is problematic.

You will be best advised to extend on the basis of marriage/care of Thai citizen, if that applies to you, or retirement if it does not.

While you can certainly stay until July 31st there is no guarantee that you will be able to get either a short or long term extension of stay beyond the government amnesty, once your current permission to stay finishes. You now have options that you probably will not after your current permission to stay finishes.
On my visa I could have stayed untill October , immo just told me that I need to cross the boarder within 7days of it opening. So if it's not open by the 31st of July and I can't leave and I also can't get a visa here then what ?
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 28, 2020, 7:28 am

papafarang wrote:
May 27, 2020, 11:04 pm
On my visa I could have stayed untill October , immo just told me that I need to cross the boarder within 7days of it opening. So if it's not open by the 31st of July and I can't leave and I also can't get a visa here then what ?
In your situation you can not get a visa in Thailand as you already have/had a Non-O

Immigration was incorrect in saying that you had to leave within 7 days of the border opening (assuming it opens before the end of July). But in your case you should leave and return to get another 90 days (assuming that your visa is still valid)

Your difficulty is knowing if you can return as the entry requirements are unknown now.

If the borders are still closed at the end of July there will be another continuation of the automatic extension.

If you are still within the permission to stay of your last entry you can get a 1 year extension for marriage/family or retirement.

If that permission to stay has now expired (so you are on the automatic extension) you can still ask if it is possible to apply
for the 1 year extension. If they say no and you are married (I assume you are because of the 1 year multi Non-O) then you should ask if they will give you a 60 day extension to visit your wife. If that is given then you will be able to get a 1 year marriage or retirement extension.

There is no rule or policy that I know of that covers this situation. They may accept a normal application even though your permission to stay has finished they may refuse.

Immigration are excellent at answering direct questions. They are poor, to bad, at answering hypothetical questions and often do not give suggestions of alternative ways to do what you want.

I do not know the details of your last entry so can’t suggest the question to ask to find out if the result you want is achievable or if there is a different result that, though not so good, is OK
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 28, 2020, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 28, 2020, 7:51 am

May 28, 2020, 7:28 am
papafarang wrote:
In your situation you can not get a visa in Thailand as you already have/had a Non-O

Immigration was incorrect in saying that you had to leave within 7 days of the border opening (assuming it opens before the end of July). But in your case you should leave and return to get another 90 days (assuming that your visa is still valid)

Your difficulty is knowing if you can return as the entry requirements are unknown now.

If the boarders are still closed at the end of July there will be another continuation of the automatic extension.

If you are still within the permission to stay of your last entry you can get a 1 year extension for marriage/family or retirement.

If that permission to stay has now expired (so you are on the automatic extension) you can still ask if it is possible to apply
for the 1 year extension. If they say no and you are married (I assume you are because of the 1 year multi Non-O) then you should ask if they will give you a 60 day extension to visit your wife. If that is given then you will be able to get a 1 year marriage or retirement extension.

There is no rule or policy that I know of that covers this situation. They may accept a normal application even though your permission to stay has finished they may refuse.

Immigration are excellent at answering direct questions. They are poor, to bad, at answering hypothetical questions and often do not give suggestions of alternative ways to do what you want.

I do not know the details of your last entry so can’t suggest the question to ask to find out if the result you want is achievable or if there is a different result that, though not so good, is OK
I think with all the confusion, plus I don't fancy getting stuck in Laos or ending up in another 14 day lockup , best to use the opportunity to change visa as who knows what's going to happen in the next 6 months

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2020, 9:36 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 27, 2020, 5:59 pm

boreder = forim speling cops

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2020, 9:40 am

papafarang wrote:
May 28, 2020, 7:51 am
May 28, 2020, 7:28 am
papafarang wrote:

If the boarders are still closed at the end of July there will be another continuation of the automatic extension.

I think with all the confusion, plus I don't fancy getting stuck in Laos or ending up in another 14 day lockup , best to use the opportunity to change visa as who knows what's going to happen in the next 6 months
Talk to Immigration and see what's "on offer" or, get an agent and open up a whole other can of same-same but different worms.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 28, 2020, 9:42 am

we need a britglish translator . i rarely have any
idea what they're talking about.

thankfully , watching Scotty on star trek growing
up & more recently Shrek. i can decipher scottish

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 28, 2020, 9:45 am

& the late show with craig ferguson . he was
quite good . and janitor willy from the simpsons

see , there are some good scots about

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 28, 2020, 10:45 am

tamada wrote:
May 28, 2020, 9:40 am
Talk to Immigration and see what's "on offer" or, get an agent and open up a whole other can of same-same but different worms.
As I have mentioned immigration is very good at answering a direct “can I get this” questions

They are very poor at answering indirect questions, so a what’s on offer is less likely to find out exactly what you can do from the possible alternatives.

I can easily understand why they generally don’t offer suggestions as the level of understanding required on both sides, in a second language for immigration and often for the person asking, is quite high and time consuming.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2020, 10:53 am

Unfortunately Mech, Scotty of Star Trek was NOT Scottish. His background was Irish and was born and raised in Canada

"Doohan was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, the youngest of four children of Sarah Frances (née Montgomery) and William Patrick Doohan, who both emigrated from Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland"

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 28, 2020, 11:19 am

tamada wrote:
May 28, 2020, 9:36 am
mech_401 wrote:

Spelling cops , anal ..did I spell that ok :lol:

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 28, 2020, 11:36 am

tamada wrote:
May 28, 2020, 9:36 am
mech_401 wrote:

board·er

a person who receives regular meals when staying somewhere, in return for payment or services.
a person who boards a ship during or after an attack.

someone staying at a hotel is a guest

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 28, 2020, 11:38 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 28, 2020, 10:53 am
Unfortunately Mech, Scotty of Star Trek was NOT Scottish. His background was Irish and was born and raised in Canada

"Doohan was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, the youngest of four children of Sarah Frances (née Montgomery) and William Patrick Doohan, who both emigrated from Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland"
And Shrek's voice was non other than "Fat Bastard" Mike Myers, another snap-frozen yank.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2020, 11:49 am

Tam
I shuddered when I read your posting regard Mike Myers being a "Yank" Hahahah

"Michael John Myers was born in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada on May 25, 1963, to English immigrant parents from the Old Swan area of Liverpool.His father, Eric Myers, was an insurance agent, while his mother, Alice "Bunny" E. Myers (née Hind), was an office supervisor and a veteran of the Royal Air Force."

Canadain
Parent from England
Veteran in the RAF

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 28, 2020, 10:03 pm

and groundskeeper willie from the simpsons

are you saying he's not scottish either ? well ,
there should be laws . it doesn't seem right

Return to “Open Forum”