Cambodia or Thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Cambodia or Thailand

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 10:15 am

Hello everyone. I'm here looking for advice/recommendation on the differences between Cambodia and Thailand. Up until recently my obvious choice was Thailand, but with the baht so strong and the Thai government implementing/enforcing more rules I am considering Cambodia as my retirement destination in 2 years. I'm aware of the obvious differences, mainly infrastructure, but from a financial standpoint, would there be much of a difference? I'm not rich, but I will be financially set and money will not be a problem and I could afford to live in either place, but I don't just want to waste it. I guess my question is, is dealing with Thai immigration every 3 months, $800k in the bank, and now health insurance, worth it over dealing with Cambodia's own issues? I understand this is subjective, but an honest opinion would be appreciated.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Cambodia or Thailand

Post by AlexO » November 24, 2019, 10:52 am

Hi.
For me Cambodia was way cheaper than Thailand but and its a big BUT. PP is way too busy traffic wise and air pollution is terrible. I really enjoyed Sihanoukville but as getting older the only real medical facilities were a good 90 minute drive away in PP so that was a deciding factor. Don't want to even think what has happened since the Chinese take over. Best advice, try each for a couple of months, then make up your mind but always with the option to move. Plenty of good places to retire to, just make sure you pick what suits you.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

I had a friend who retired in Hawaii. He soon found out that he couldn't afford to stay there. He moved to Thailand and complained the entire time. He had nothing good to say about the country. I told him after several years that there was nothing keeping him here. He took my advice and moved to Cambodia. That lasted less than a year. He said Cambodia was worse than Thailand. He moved back here and lived in Thailand in three different regions. He did like Nan, way upcountry, but a divorce soured him and he then moved to the Philippines. I didn't hear from him very often but he said that the Philippines was the best place that he had lived. He died there. RIP. I think life is what you make it regardless of where you live. I have no plans to ever leave Thailand. I'm not too happy jumping through all the hoops but I always look at the alternatives and stay here.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

glalt wrote:
November 24, 2019, 12:03 pm
I had a friend who retired in Hawaii. He soon found out that he couldn't afford to stay there. He moved to Thailand and complained the entire time. He had nothing good to say about the country. I told him after several years that there was nothing keeping him here. He took my advice and moved to Cambodia. That lasted less than a year. He said Cambodia was worse than Thailand. He moved back here and lived in Thailand in three different regions. He did like Nan, way upcountry, but a divorce soured him and he then moved to the Philippines. I didn't hear from him very often but he said that the Philippines was the best place that he had lived. He died there. RIP. I think life is what you make it regardless of where you live. I have no plans to ever leave Thailand. I'm not too happy jumping through all the hoops but I always look at the alternatives and stay here.
I was actually looking at the Philippines but Duerte scares me more than Trump, if that is possible. LOL

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 24, 2019, 12:45 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 24, 2019, 10:15 am
Hello everyone. I'm here looking for advice/recommendation on the differences between Cambodia and Thailand. Up until recently my obvious choice was Thailand, but with the baht so strong and the Thai government implementing/enforcing more rules I am considering Cambodia as my retirement destination in 2 years. I'm aware of the obvious differences, mainly infrastructure, but from a financial standpoint, would there be much of a difference? I'm not rich, but I will be financially set and money will not be a problem and I could afford to live in either place, but I don't just want to waste it. I guess my question is, is dealing with Thai immigration every 3 months, $800k in the bank, and now health insurance, worth it over dealing with Cambodia's own issues? I understand this is subjective, but an honest opinion would be appreciated.
Have you been to Thailand ? Have you been to Cambodia ?
Maybe you should visit both for a while before making your choice .
Theres more to living somewhere than a little hassle with immigration .
You may have to spend no more than a total of 2 days in the course of a year to satisfy immigration , but you have to be happy with your choice for another 363 days of that year !

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D>
saint wrote:
November 24, 2019, 12:45 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
November 24, 2019, 10:15 am
Have you been to Thailand ? Have you been to Cambodia ?
Maybe you should visit both for a while before making your choice .
Theres more to living somewhere than a little hassle with immigration .
You may have to spend no more than a total of 2 days in the course of a year to satisfy immigration , but you have to be happy with your choice for another 363 days of that year !

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 1:15 pm

I've been to Thailand at least once every year since 2009, sometimes twice a year. Out of that time I spent most of my time in Udon Thani at the Irish Clock. I've stayed in Pattaya once, in fact that's where I'm going this time. Stayed in Bangkok twice and Korat a few times. Maybe not well-traveled but I've enjoyed my stays. I love the food the people and the atmosphere.

I've never been to Cambodia. If I had known about the situation with the insurance and the baht strengthening before I planned this trip I would have visited Cambodia.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 1:20 pm

I hit the submit button too soon.
No matter where I go I know I will be happy. I consider myself very laid-back and I take things as they come. From my readings Cambodia has the easiest retirement Visa in Southeast Asia, and I guess what I'm looking for is simplicity.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » November 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

@kenr6583: I'm sitting here at Irish Click in Udon as I read your post :)

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 1:46 pm

Room 101? That's the room I stayed in every time

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 1:50 pm

Grocery store across the street woke me up every mornings...lol

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » November 24, 2019, 2:01 pm

No just downstairs ordering food. Never slept here in all my years coming.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 2:11 pm

Cool place, perfect location. Food was excellent also. Maybe not as good as the night market, no place is, but they have/had a very good chef there all my times there. I lucked out picking that place my first time there.

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 24, 2019, 8:31 pm

Hi Ken, note that at the moment there is no compulsory health insurance required if you apply for your oa visa in Thailand. The rule as it stands is only for folks who apply for their visa in an embassy oseas. come to Thailand on tourist visa as you are doing now, apply for a 90 day extension, then apply for a oa visa purpose for retirement. I use Thai Visa services, makes it easy. don't worry about 90 day check in, it's a breeze. Another alternative worth checking out is Vietnam, haven't been there but plenty of good blogs on u tube reccommend it.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 8:57 pm

Fatone wrote:
November 24, 2019, 8:31 pm
Hi Ken, note that at the moment there is no compulsory health insurance required if you apply for your oa visa in Thailand. The rule as it stands is only for folks who apply for their visa in an embassy oseas. come to Thailand on tourist visa as you are doing now, apply for a 90 day extension, then apply for a oa visa purpose for retirement. I use Thai Visa services, makes it easy. don't worry about 90 day check in, it's a breeze. Another alternative worth checking out is Vietnam, haven't been there but plenty of good blogs on u tube reccommend it.
So maybe I was misunderstanding previous information that was given to me before. You are saying applying for original OA Visa for retirement in Thailand there is no health insurance requirement? But at what stage would I be able/required to open a bank account? At what point in time will I be required to have health insurance when I request to renew my OA Visa after the first year? I just hate having to have to pay for two health insurance premiums, because I am going to keep my FEHB policy. One last question, does Vietnam now have a retirement scheme? I have read they don't. Thanks.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 24, 2019, 9:29 pm

There is no "OA visa in Thailand".

You can only apply for an OA visa in your home country, or country of residence (not including Thailand).

As for those using an agent - good luck to you, and long may it last. But one day, the ----- will hit the fan.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 9:34 pm

jackspratt wrote:
November 24, 2019, 9:29 pm
There is no "OA visa in Thailand".

You can only apply for an OA visa in your home country, or country of residence (not including Thailand).

As for those using an agent - good luck to you, and long may it last. But one day, the ----- will hit the fan.
That is what I have read and have been told previously. An OA retirement Visa can only be applied for outside of Thailand.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 11:20 pm

I guess I may have jumped the gun here. I still have about two years to make this decision, and who knows how much will change with immigration in either country. I guess I'll check out Cambodia late next year or early 2021. The smart move for me will probably be to start off in Cambodia for first year, get my feet wet, then work my way over to Thailand. That will give me enough time to get the hell away from here, chill out, start enjoying retirement, and get everything in order and I would only be about an hour and 15 minute flight away instead of 20 + hours, and I won't be working 6 days a week so I have plenty of time to take care of what needs to be taken care of without having to worry about anyting.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 25, 2019, 8:58 am

Why go the OA visa what is wrong with the easier O visa just some money in the bank and every 90 day report
Does not seem difficult at all

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 26, 2019, 8:55 am

It was my original understanding that the $800k was not needed in the bank for the O Visa, I was wrong apparently. That was the path I was going to take originally.

Return to “Open Forum”