Those were the Day's

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
vlad
udonmap.com

Those were the Day's

Post by vlad » September 14, 2019, 1:55 am

I thought I would inject a bit of fun into the forum because I think it needs it of late so here Go's.
When I was young and started going out i began to use aftershave Brut 33 was the usual I thought it was the Bee's but once I had a mans wage I upped it to Kouros for the ladies then i moved onto Aramis £5 a bottle half my wages, then I moved onto the real stuff Fahrenheit, Paul Smith, and all the best at the time. Didn't do much for the love life but i smelled better. What are the other members thoughts of what floated there boats so to speak.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Those were the Day's

Post by tamada » September 14, 2019, 12:13 pm

I think it started with sneaking some of dads Old Spice but yes, I went through the Brut 33 and Aramis phases in my teens.

When it comes to floating my boat, I also went through Ann Fraser, Pamela Roberston, Liz Leith, Isla Laing, Morag Massie, Jane Byers, Eva McLean, Gail Summers, Lorraine Adams.

Then, in my 6th year, there was...

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

4 of my 5 brothers were into making small bombs. We made our own gunpowder, or emptied shotgun shells and repurposed the powder. Anything that would flash, bang, or boom.....we were interested. Never to damage anything, just stuff to do.
We would also stuff match heads into small containers, wrap them tightly, and blow them off.......surprisingly quite powerful. I borrowed one of my father's not quite empty Old Spice jars, emptied the contents, and stuffed match heads into the very thick glass bottle. I ran out of matches when it was only 3/4 or so full. I inserted a homemade wick.....lit it.....and figured I'd get a good stream of fizz and smoke. But the container blew to smithereens. Luckily I wasn't injured. Before long, word got around and everyone was stuffing their father's OS containers full of match heads.
Those were the daze, loooong before 9/11, thank God.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 14, 2019, 2:11 pm

parrot wrote:
September 14, 2019, 12:56 pm
4 of my 5 brothers were into making small bombs. We made our own gunpowder, or emptied shotgun shells and repurposed the powder. Anything that would flash, bang, or boom.....we were interested. Never to damage anything, just stuff to do.
We would also stuff match heads into small containers, wrap them tightly, and blow them off.......surprisingly quite powerful. I borrowed one of my father's not quite empty Old Spice jars, emptied the contents, and stuffed match heads into the very thick glass bottle. I ran out of matches when it was only 3/4 or so full. I inserted a homemade wick.....lit it.....and figured I'd get a good stream of fizz and smoke. But the container blew to smithereens. Luckily I wasn't injured. Before long, word got around and everyone was stuffing their father's OS containers full of match heads.
Those were the daze, loooong before 9/11, thank God.
Talk about worlds part parrot :lol:

I wouldnt even have thought about blowing up an after shave bottle (for what reason?)

I and any kids I grew up with wouldn't have been given access to hundreds of matches let alone bombs or gunpowder :shock: what the hell were your parents doing?

The most dangerous thing we had was a football or tennis ball to play cricket, and all hell broke loose when we accidently broke a glasshouse window ...... lord only knows what our punishment would have been for deliberately blowing something up with no valid reason :lol:

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » September 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

Sorry guy's i meant what aftershave you had starting with. I remember old spice.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 14, 2019, 2:41 pm

6 boys, father worked in a factory during the day and bartended or church'd at night. Mother played Ernestine at the phone office on night shift....waiting for Liberace to make a long distance (operator assisted) phone call. The helicopter (parent) wasn't invented yet. We had a tiny cottage in E. Haven, CT. where we'd spend our entire summer vacation. Wake up, eat, then we were set free for the entire day. Copertone wasn't good enough for us....we'd lather ourselves in baby oil and bake or fish or swim in the sun.....completely on our own. My mother and grandmother and aunt would sun themselves, pop a beer, and share a pack of Parliament cigarettes on the beach....we'd gather coke bottles and buy our own cigarettes. Life was good.
Sometimes it was a challenge to go to a pharmacy and buy a pound or two of potassium nitrate, but I don't recall ever walking out without what we wanted. Matches? You could buy cases and no one would bat an eye.
English Leather bottles were very thick glass with a tiny hole on the top. Just big enough to insert match heads.
I have on occasion said a word of thanks that I was born in the 50's......got to experience the 60/70/80's without any serious incidents.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, yes, I rarely used Old Spice, English Leather. Smelling good wasn't a priority for me.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 14, 2019, 3:45 pm

I think the reason that just about every teenage boy in UK used Old Spice Hi Karate etc was the fact that (just like babycham) it was advertised to the extreem in the run up to xmas. Just about every aunt/grannie etc thought they were doing you a favour when they purchased loads of the stuff from the guy on the market stall and handed it out to all nephews/grandchildren year after year :lol:

parrot, I was also born in the 50's, but my childhood involved helping on the allotment or in the garden with the veg growing.
Wandering over the everyones allotments collecting caterpillers to stop them eating everyones food was one of the "jobs" given to the youngest kids. In the garden playing football/tennis/cricket against a wall. When the weather was bad we always had our stamp /coin/matchbox label collections to keep us occupied and help with our world geography learning. The dart board on the back of the bedroom door was used for hours of fun learning maths at the same time. And when really bored sitting on the window ledge watching and counting types of cars/lorries/buses going up/down the A12.
Honestly cannot remember setting fire to or blowing anything up ever :lol:

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 14, 2019, 9:15 pm

playing with dads razor, cutting my fingers and then using a bit of his old spice... ouch
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 14, 2019, 10:38 pm

As a teen I was into reading a lot, picked up from my mom. But I did sometimes take a roll of caps from a toy cap gun, remove the red paper top and place the powder on a strip of newspaper roll it tight like a self rolled cigarette and light one end. Did get a large bang when it went off.
As for aftershave started with Old Spice, but now seldom use anything as wear a beard most of the time but when I do shave I use a little Afta by mennon as its a cream type aftershave and helps face.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 15, 2019, 5:00 am

vlad wrote:
September 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
Sorry guy's i meant what aftershave you had starting with. I remember old spice.
I have never used aftershave.

One of my earliest memories is going to a field to pet a cat and her kittens. This was on the advice of new neighbourhood kids who said I had to do this if I wanted to be friends with them. I did as requested. Quickly, I found out that the cat was a skunk! It led to a tomato soup bath and the burying of my clothes.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 15, 2019, 5:00 am
vlad wrote:
September 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
I have never used aftershave.

One of my earliest memories is going to a field to pet a cat and her kittens. This was on the advice of new neighbourhood kids who said I had to do this if I wanted to be friends with them. I did as requested. Quickly, I found out that the cat was a skunk! It led to a tomato soup bath and the burying of my clothes.
Pretty similar outcome to wearing old spice or Hi Karate then .... smell better AFTER a bath :lol:

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 16, 2019, 3:01 pm

english leather - when you want to smell like the
streets of london - in 17th century - irresistible =;

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » September 16, 2019, 3:10 pm

Cousins Imperial Leather mmmmm Joop was a good 1.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » September 16, 2019, 4:34 pm

I grew up in the country 1 mile outside of a small rural town. I remember when I was in grade school when people were building fallout shelters. There were fallout shelter signs posted in town also to indicate the location of the nearest fallout shelter in case of a nuclear attack. We also had air raid drills in school where the entire town would participate and the air raid sirens would be sounding off and we were instructed to crawl under our desk and cover our head with our hands until we got the all clear announcement. In my teen years, I remember the colognes Brute and Jade East were popular along with long hair and bell bottoms. When I was a teenager I was pumping gas at the local gas station at 18 Cents a gallon. When we went to the local store to get groceries, The clerk would take out a brown paper bag and write the price of each item on the bag and then add it up without a calculator. The clerk packed your purchases. You paid the clerk and walked out with your purchases and your receipt was written on the paper bag that you were carrying. We did not build any bombs but we did try to light a fart several times. I did not go very well most of the time.... : )
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

The NICEST After shave I ever used was bought for me by My Sister for a Birthday Present out of the AVON Catalogue for who she was an agent.....The name of the A/S Was TAI WINDS...( Spelled Correctly ),It was a Beautiful Smell....

The One I Use at the Moment Is Blue Stratos which I Bought in The U.K Last Time I was Back there !!That's Also Nice....

Also There's Now't Wrong with Old Spice Statto........What about Brut ?? Now Yer Talkin' ( Splash it All Over ) as Henery Used to Say....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 16, 2019, 6:49 pm

Our lead guitarist was messing about one lunchtime in the record shop he worked in. He was wearing his favorite dark chocolate colored crushed velvet loon pants and squatting legs akimbo on the low stool behind the cashiers desk with his feet up on the desk and decided he'd try and light a fart. The first one was quite tame but the second one was awesomely spectacular... as it also ignited the fart gas already trapped in his pants from his first attempt.

We had to cancel all that weekend's gigs.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 17, 2019, 6:59 am

"We had to cancel all that weekend's gigs."

Head of Elgin Church Hall not impressed when told he had to return to Elgin Library and re-hire the Glenn Miller and Bing Crosby 78's he had just returned from the previous weekend :-$

Return to “Open Forum”