Yes it really happened

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 28, 2021, 3:31 am

You're leaving me in suspense. What happened to the Chickasaw, one of the so-called civilised tribes. Furthermore, why were they called civilised?

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2021, 7:35 am

easily Googled for more information, Laan

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 28, 2021, 8:55 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 28, 2021, 7:35 am
My thoughts as well, it would seem asking a question is these days hardly followed up with looking for the answer yourself, expecting others to find out the answer and then argue about that answer.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 28, 2021, 9:30 am

Doodoo wrote:
No-one does it better than you do doo doo.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 28, 2021, 10:15 am

Thanks KP exactly right
The intent is if others have a question or desire more information for them to research it first then ask.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2021, 12:20 am

Emmanuel "Manny" Dapidran Pacquiao, CLH (/ˈpækiaʊ/ PAK-ee-ow; born December 17, 1978) is a Filipino professional boxer and politician who is currently serving as a Senator of the Philippines and as party president of the PDP–Laban party. Nicknamed "PacMan", he is regarded as one of the greatest professional boxers of all time.[5]

Manny Pacquiao is the only eight-division world champion in the history of boxing and has won twelve major world titles.[6][7] He was the first boxer to win the lineal championship in five different weight classes,[8][9][10] the first boxer to win major world titles in four of the eight "glamour divisions": flyweight, featherweight, lightweight, and welterweight,[11][12][13] and is the only boxer to hold world championships across four decades (1990s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s).[14]

As of 2015, Pacquiao's fights had generated $1.2 billion in revenue from his 25 pay-per-view bouts.[15] According to Forbes, he was the second highest paid athlete in the world in 2015.
Pacquiao married Jinkee Jamora on May 10, 1999.[2] Together, they have five children, Emmanuel Jr. (Jimuel), Michael Stephen, Mary Divine Grace (Princess), Queen Elizabeth (Queenie) and Israel. His first son, Jimuel, is an amateur boxer,[108] while his second son, Michael, is a rapper.[109] His daughter, Queenie, was born in the United States. He resides in his hometown of General Santos City, South Cotabato, Philippines.[110] However, as a congressman of the lone district of Sarangani, he is officially residing in Kiamba, Sarangani, the hometown of his wife.

On December 11, 2019, Pacquiao graduated from University of Makati with a bachelor's degree in political science; majoring in local government administration through the Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP) of the Philippine Councilors League-Legislative Academy (PCCLA) which allows qualified Filipinos to complete a collegiate-level education via informal education system.[111][112]

Raised in the Catholic faith,[113] Pacquiao is currently a practicing Evangelical Protestant.[114][115][116] Pacquiao said he once had a dream where he saw a pair of angels and heard the voice of God—this dream convinced him to become a devout believer.[117]

In April 2021, Pacquiao spoke out about the ongoing racially-motivated attacks on Asian-Americans in the United States and challenged those who engaged in racist attacks to fight him instead of their victims. He went on to state that "[We] have one color in our Blood! (sic). Stop discriminating!" and finalized his statement with capitalized "Peace and love to everyone

In July 2019, Pacquiao became the oldest welterweight world champion in history at the age of 40,[17] and the first boxer in history to become a recognized four-time welterweight champion after defeating Keith Thurman to win the WBA (Super) welterweight title.

Gilda Susan Radner (June 28, 1946 – May 20, 1989) died 31 years ago today, at the age of 42. She was best remembered as an original cast member of the hit NBC sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, for which she won an Emmy Award in 1978.
In Ann Arbor, Radner began her broadcasting career as the weather girl for college radio station WCBN, but dropped out in her senior year to follow her then-boyfriend, a Canadian sculptor named Jeffrey Rubinoff, to Toronto, Canada. In Toronto, she made her professional acting debut in the 1972 production of Godspell with future stars Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Victor Garber, Martin Short, and Paul Shaffer. Afterward, Radner joined the Toronto Second City comedy troupe.
Radner was a featured player on the National Lampoon Radio Hour, a comedy program syndicated to some 600 U.S. radio stations from 1974 to 1975. Fellow cast members included John Belushi, Richard Belzer, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Brian Doyle-Murray, and Rhonda Coullet.
Radner gained name recognition as one of the original "Not Ready for Prime Time Players", the freshman group on the first season of Saturday Night Live. She was the first performer cast for the show. Between 1975 and 1980, she created characters such as obnoxious personal advice expert Roseanne Roseannadanna and "Baba Wawa", a parody of Barbara Walters. After Radner's death, Walters stated in an interview that Radner was the "first person to make fun of news anchors, now it's done all the time."
She also played the character Emily Litella, an elderly hearing-impaired woman who gave angry and misinformed editorial replies on "Weekend Update". In addition, Radner parodied celebrities such as Lucille Ball, Patti Smith, and Olga Korbut in SNL sketches. She won an Emmy Award in 1978 for her work on SNL.
Radner battled bulimia while on the show. She once told a reporter that she had thrown up in every toilet in Rockefeller Center. She had a relationship with SNL castmate Bill Murray, with whom she worked at the National Lampoon, and that ended badly. Few details of their relationship or its end were made public. When Radner wrote It's Always Something, this is the one reference she made of Murray in the entire book: "All the guys [in the National Lampoon group of writers and performers] liked to have me around because I would laugh at them till I peed in my pants and tears rolled out of my eyes. We worked together for a couple of years creating The National Lampoon Show, writing The National Lampoon Radio Hour, and even working on stuff for the magazine. Bill Murray joined the show and Richard Belzer ..."
In 1979, incoming NBC President Fred Silverman offered Radner her own prime time variety show, which she turned down. That year, she was a host of the Music for UNICEF Concert at the United Nations General Assembly.
Alan Zweibel, who co-created the Roseanne Roseannadanna character and co-wrote Roseanne's dialogue, recalled that Radner, one of three original SNL cast members who stayed away from cocaine, chastised him for abusing it.
While in character as Roseannadanna, Radner gave the commencement address to the graduating class at the Columbia School of Journalism in 1979.
Radner had mixed emotions about the fans and strangers who recognized her in public. She sometimes became "angry when she was approached, and upset when she wasn't.
Radner met actor Gene Wilder on the set of the Sidney Poitier film Hanky Panky, when the two worked together making the film. She described their first meeting as "love at first sight." She was unable to resist her attraction to Wilder as her marriage to guitarist G. E. Smith deteriorated. Radner went on to make a second film, The Woman in Red, released in 1984 with Wilder and their relationship grew. The two were married on September 18, 1984, in St. Tropez. The pair made a third film together, Haunted Honeymoon, released in 1986. They remained married until her death in 1989.
In September 1988, after tests showed no signs of cancer, Radner went on a maintenance chemotherapy treatment to prolong her remission, but three months later, in December, she learned the cancer had returned. She was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on May 17, 1989 to undergo a CAT scan. She was given a sedative and went into a coma during the scan. She did not regain consciousness, and died three days later on May 20, 1989; Wilder was at her side.
Her funeral was held in Connecticut on May 24, 1989. In lieu of flowers, her family requested that donations be sent to The Wellness Community. Her gravestone reads: "Gilda Radner Wilder - Comedienne - Ballerina 1946–1989". She was interred at Long Ridge Union Cemetery in Stamford, Connecticut.
News of her death broke as Steve Martin was rehearsing to act as the guest host for that night's season finale of Saturday Night Live. The show's performers and crew, including Lorne Michaels, Phil Hartman, and Mike Myers (who had, in his own words, "fallen in love" with Radner after playing her son in a BC Hydro commercial on Canadian television and considered her the reason he wanted to be on SNL), had not known how grave her situation was. Martin's planned opening monologue was scrapped; in its place Martin, in tears, introduced a video clip of a 1978 sketch in which he and Radner had parodied Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in a well-known dance routine from The Band Wagon. After the clip Martin said it reminded him of "how great she was and of how young I looked. Gilda, we miss you."

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 29, 2021, 3:49 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 28, 2021, 8:55 am
Doodoo wrote:
My thoughts as well, it would seem asking a question is these days hardly followed up with looking for the answer yourself, expecting others to find out the answer and then argue about that answer.
Uncle T asks questions to foster dialogue and forums are places for discussion.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2021, 12:28 pm

But did anything REALLY happen before google?

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 29, 2021, 5:23 pm

Well, we had Wikipedia, of course. But then if you were a curious sort of chap then you could ask or 'phone a friend, ask the audience or go 50/50.

I must admit, I picked up on the phrase '5 civilised tribes' too but that phrase is in context, where did it come from and who wrote it?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 30, 2021, 2:11 am

I learnt that one in high school, but I can't tell you on this thread as Khuns Paul and doodoo want you to do the light stuff and leave them to the the heavy lifting. What is a person supposed to do, doo doo?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 30, 2021, 7:04 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 29, 2021, 12:28 pm
But did anything REALLY happen before google?
Yes it did, when young I used the Encylopedia Britanica, which my father renewed every couple of years, plus I was lucky my school also had a huge reference library.
You asked questions and found the answers, moist of which could be proven.

Today however over 60% cof the answers you get when you google something are wrong or unproven so the general knowledge is declining rather than improving

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 30, 2021, 7:50 am

Khun Paul wrote:
May 30, 2021, 7:04 am

Today however over 60% cof the answers you get when you google something are wrong or unproven .......
I googled this, and was unable to find any evidence to support it.

Does that mean your "over 60%" is wrong or unproven? :-k

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 30, 2021, 9:12 am

A study this year by Stone Temple, a prominent analyst of the industry, showed Google's search engine answered 74.3% of 5,000 questions, and on those answers it had a 97.4% accuracy rate. Both percentages are higher than services from Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc. and Microsoft Corp.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 30, 2021, 9:34 am

What was found in Linconl's pocket the night he was shot

a) a pistol

b) a piece of the American flag

c) a $5 Confederate Bill

Who did Rossevelt allow to join the US Navy during WW2

a) Stalin's brother

b) Hitler's nephew

c) Mussilini's son

Freddie Starr (born Frederick Leslie Fowell; 9 January 1943 – 9 May 2019) was an English stand up comedian, impressionist, singer and actor. Starr was the lead singer of Merseybeat rock and roll group the Midniters[nb 1] during the early 1960s, and came to prominence in the early 1970s after appearing on Opportunity Knocks and the Royal Variety Performance. In the 1990s, he starred in several television shows, including Freddie Starr (1993–1994), The Freddie Starr Show (1996–1998) and An Audience with Freddie Starr in 1996. In 1999, he presented the game show Beat the Crusher.

Starr was a keen supporter of Everton, and was a vegetarian from his teenage years onwards.[7] At the height of his television celebrity, he appeared on ITV's coverage of the buildup to the 1984 FA Cup Final, in which Everton defeated Elton John's Watford 2–0. He appeared on the lawn outside the hotel where the Everton team were staying, on the morning of the game and gave an impromptu comedy performance to the players, who watched from the windows of their rooms.[27]

In April 1994, Robin Coxhead, a gardener employed by Starr, was charged with alleged theft of £41,000 worth of jewellery from the comedian's home.[28] When questioned by the police, Coxhead claimed the jewellery had been given to him as a reward because he had been giving oral sex to Starr over a period of five years. However, Coxhead was discredited in court when he was unable to state whether Starr's penis was circumcised or not.[7] Coxhead was found guilty and sentenced to 15 months in prison in 1995.[29][non-primary source needed]

In October 2012, Starr obtained an injunction to prevent a claim from being made about his personal life. The injunction was overturned as it was considered to be an issue involving potential defamation, which the media outlets concerned were not planning to publish.[30] On 8 October 2012, Channel 4 News reported allegations relating to Starr's appearance on Jimmy Savile's BBC television show Clunk Click in 1974, which he denied through his lawyer[31] and in media interviews.[32]

On 1 November 2012, as part of Operation Yewtree, Starr was arrested by police at his Warwickshire home, in connection with the Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal. He was arrested on three subsequent occasions, without any connections to Savile, the last being on 12 February 2014. Starr denied the claims made against him.[33] On 6 May 2014, it was reported that the Crown Prosecution Service had decided not to bring charges against Starr in connection with the allegations, on the grounds of "insufficient evidence".

ANSWERS

1c) a $5 Confederate Bill

2b) Hitler's nephew From 1944 until 1947

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 31, 2021, 1:59 am

Which famous battle is depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry

a) Waterloo
b) Somme
c) Hastings
d) Agincourt

Gary Rich Burghoff (May 24, 1943) is 78 years old today! Known for playing Charlie Brown in the 1967 Off-Broadway musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and the character Corporal Walter Eugene "Radar" O'Reilly in the film M*A*S*H, as well as the TV series.
Burghoff made his feature film debut in Robert Altman's M*A*S*H (1970). Although several actors from the original film made guest appearances in the television series, Burghoff was the only actor cast as a regular, continuing in the role of Radar O'Reilly. Although he ostensibly played the same character in the series that he played in the film, Burghoff has cited differences in the portrayal: "In the original feature film MASH, I created Radar as a lone, darker and somewhat sardonic character; kind of a shadowy figure. I continued these qualities for a short time until I realized that the TV MASH characters were developing in a different direction from the film characters. It became a group of sophisticated, highly educated Doctors (and one head nurse) who would rather be anywhere else and who understood the nature of the 'hell hole' they were stuck in. With Gelbart's help, I began to mold Radar into a more innocent, naïve character as contrast to the other characters, so that while the others might deplore the immorality and shame of war (from an intellectual and judgmental viewpoint), Radar could just REACT from a position of total innocence."
Burghoff was nominated for six Emmy Awards for M*A*S*H in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series and, of those nominations, he won an Emmy in 1977. Burghoff's co-star Alan Alda accepted the award on his behalf.
Burghoff left M*A*S*H after the seventh season because of burnout and a desire to spend more time with his family, though he returned the following year to film a special two-part farewell episode, "Goodbye Radar." On the subject of his departure, Burghoff said, "Family, to me, became the most important thing... I was not available as a father because of my work. That doesn’t stop when the work stops. Whenever you go out as a family, you’re always torn from family to deal with public recognition."
As originally conceived, "Goodbye Radar" was supposed to be the final episode of season 7, but at the behest of CBS, it was expanded into a double-episode for the November sweeps the next season. Mike Farrell tried to persuade Burghoff to stay on the show, citing the lackluster careers of former M*A*S*H regulars Larry Linville and McLean Stevenson after their departures.
Covering the conclusion of M*A*S*H for TV Guide in 1983, Burt Prelutsky wrote, "Although nobody wanted to be quoted for the record, the feelings about Gary Burghoff's leaving were fairly unanimous: loved Radar, hated Burghoff. As summed up by one of the principals: 'Gary had personality problems. He always felt there was a conspiracy against him. He was rude to everyone, but if anyone ever said anything back to him, he'd throw a tantrum. He had frequent spats with his cast members, particularly with Alan Alda. Once his other cast member, Mike Farrell, told him that his problem was that he could dish it out but he couldn't take it, and Gary said, "And I'm getting real sick and tired of dishing it out." The poor guy didn't even realize what he'd said.'"
Mike Farrell later said, "Gary Burghoff may well have been the best actor in the company, it's always seemed to me. His focus, his ability to find those little gems of behavior that made everything absolutely true were a marvel to behold.
Burghoff appeared regularly on TV, making appearances on game shows like Tattletales, Hollywood Squares, and Showoffs. He also appeared in the film B.S. I Love You, as well as an episode of The Love Boat and Ellery Queen. His M*A*S*H character Radar O'Reilly was spun off into an unsold TV show called W*A*L*T*E*R. Burghoff also appeared in the The New Adventures of Wonder Woman episode "The Man Who Wouldn't Tell" in 1978, where he was reunited with his former band member Lynda Carter, who portrayed the title character. In the 1980s Burghoff was the TV spokesman for BP gasoline and IBM computers.
Burghoff is a self-taught amateur wildlife painter who is also qualified to handle injured wildlife in California and has also worked as a professional jazz drummer, heading the trio The We Three (in the episode "Showtime," Radar is seen playing a solo on the drums; it is a misconception that the sound was dubbed in, as it was Burghoff's actual performance). Burghoff is also the inventor of (and holds a patent on) the "Chum Magic", a fishing tackle invention that attracts fish toward the user's boat. Other Burghoff inventions include a toilet seat lifting handle and a new type of fishing pole.
Burghoff is a philatelist, and in 1993 he was asked to help pick a postal stamp for United States hunters. In 2000, Burghoff was a spokesman for dot-com era auction aggregation site PriceRadar.com.
Burghoff came out of retirement in 2010 to star in the film Daniel's Lot.
Burghoff was married to Janet Gayle, from 1971 to 1979; they had one child before their divorce. In 1985, he married Elisabeth Bostrom; the couple had two children and divorced in 2005.

Agatupu Rodney Anoaʻi (October 2, 1966 – October 23, 2000)[4] was an American professional wrestler best known for his time with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), where he wrestled under the ring name Yokozuna. The name was a reference to the highest rank in professional sumo wrestling in Japan. He is a two-time world champion in his professional wrestling career.

Although the Yokozuna character was portrayed as a champion sumo wrestler, Anoaʻi never competed as an actual sumotori. Though Yokozuna wrestled as a representative of Japan, in real life Anoaʻi was Samoan American and was accordingly billed as hailing from Polynesia. However, he was managed by the Japanese character Mr. Fuji (in reality a Japanese American), who would follow Anoaʻi to the ring with a wooden bucket of salt and waving a Japanese flag.[1]

In the WWF, Anoaʻi was a two-time WWF World Heavyweight Champion[5] and two-time WWF Tag Team Champion (with Owen Hart),[6] as well as the winner of the 1993 Royal Rumble.[7] Anoaʻi was the first wrestler of Samoan descent to hold the WWF World Heavyweight Championship as well as the first Royal Rumble winner who as a result of a direct stipulation received a WWF world championship title shot at WrestleMania. He defeated WWE Hall of Famers Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan, in consecutive pay-per-view victories in the main event of WrestleMania IX and the 1993 individual of the Ring, to win his two WWF World Heavyweight Championships, and also headlined WrestleMania X against Hart. He was the third-fastest newcomer after Brock Lesnar and Sheamus to win the WWF or WWE Championship after his debut. Anoaʻi was posthumously inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2012.

ANSWERS

1c) Hastings

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 1, 2021, 12:04 am

The Proof House has statutory duties to regulate the safety of firearms in the United Kingdom. Its three major activities are: proof, safety and de-activation.
Proof is the process of testing the safety of a gun barrel. It is still done as it has been since the Company was established in 1637: by firing the gun with an over-pressure charge of powder. If the gun survives undamaged, it will be safe to shoot. If it doesn’t, it is deemed unfit for sale – and kept from the hands of the public. Although modern non-destructive inspection techniques enable the examination of the internal structure of metal to a high degree of accuracy, there is still no better way of determining which weaknesses and imperfections might prove dangerous to the user.

The Gun Barrel Proof Acts specify the rules under which proof is carried out. They require proof for all guns sold in the United Kingdom, and for guns that have undergone structural modifications to pressure-bearing parts – for example by sleeving worn shotgun barrels, or adapting a rifle barrel to accept a sound moderator or muzzle attachment. Imported guns also need to be proved, although that can be done at the proof house in the country of origin, provided that country is a member of the Commission Internationale Permanente pour l’Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (CIP). At the London Proof House, proof is carried out in three steps:
Physical examination:
The barrel and action are inspected to ensure that there are no visible signs of weakness or undue wear. The barrels are also measured and gauged to ensure that they conform to precise dimensions and tolerances.
Proof firing:
Guns that pass examination are taken to an enclosed firing room, where they are secured in a holding device, which is aimed into a “snail” bullet catcher, a box containing a lubricated and hardened steel spiral that can safely dissipate the momentum of a bullet. The snails used at the London Proof House are safe for bullets up to and including .50 calibre. The gun is then loaded with a proof cartridge that, depending on the type of gun, will produce 25% to 50% more than the theoretical maximum service pressure. The firing chamber is closed, and the gun is fired remotely.
Proof marks:
After re-inspection and gauging, guns that pass the test – and the vast majority do – are then marked with the London proof mark. Typically, this consists of the initials ‘GP’ beneath a crown, although there are special marks for unusual tests and circumstances.

1912 President Teddy Roosevelt belonged to which Political Party
a)Bull Elephant
b)Bull Moose
c) Bull Frog
d Bull Dog

A) WW2 Canada produced more trucks than Germany, Italy and Japan COMBINED.
B) Germany had total military casualties of 4,429,875 men during WW2. Nearly 80% of these casualties were lost to Russia.

C) The British were able to create artificial moonlight during night-time battles.
To do this, the British would fire air-bursting artillery shells as well as searchlights which would create dense clouds of smoke over a target. As a follow up, they would then fire tracer ammunition (primarily from 40mm bofors cannons) of varying colors. This created bright spots of light on the ground which helped direct troops. Additionally, they would use various colors of tracers (Red, Blue, Yellow) to indicate where armor, infantry and other groups would need to attack.

ANSWERS
1b) Bull Moose Party

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 2, 2021, 12:10 am

In the 1990's the hangar where the "Spruce Goose" was built was turned into what

a) a NFL football practice stadium

b) A sound stage

c) A Training facility for the FBI

On average how many donuts does an American eat each year?

a) 61

b) 96

c)121

The word "CAB" comes ftom the word "Cabriolet" the 18th century when we had a covered horse drawn carriage

Agarwood, aloeswood, eaglewood or gharuwood is a fragrant dark resinous wood used in incense, perfume, and small carvings. It is formed in the heartwood of aquilaria trees when they become infected with a type of mold (Phialophora parasitica). Prior to infection, the heartwood is odourless, relatively light and pale coloured; however, as the infection progresses, the tree produces a dark aromatic resin, called aloes (not to be confused with Aloe ferox, the succulent commonly known as the bitter aloe) or agar (not to be confused with the edible, algae-derived agar) as well as gaharu, jinko, oud, or oodh aguru (not to be confused with bukhoor), in response to the attack, which results in a very dense, dark, resin-embedded heartwood. The resin-embedded wood is valued in Indian-North Eastern culture for its distinctive fragrance, and thus is used for incense and perfumes. Its name is believed to have first and foremost Sanskrit origin, formed from ‘Aguru’. The aromatic qualities of agarwood are influenced by the species, geographic location, its branch, trunk and root origin, length of time since infection, and methods of harvesting and processing.[1]

Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.[3] In 2004, all Aquilaria species were listed in Appendix II; however, a number of countries have outstanding reservations regarding that listing.

First-grade agarwood is one of the most expensive natural raw materials in the world,[4] with 2010 prices for superior pure material as high as US$100,000/kg, although in practice adulteration of the wood and oil is common, allowing for prices as low as US$100/kg.[5] A whole range of qualities and products are on the market, varying in quality with geographical location, botanical species, the age of the specific tree, cultural deposition and the section of the tree where the piece of agarwood stems from.[6] As of 2013, the current global market for agarwood is estimated to be in the range of US$6 – 8 billion and is growing rapidly.[7]

ANSWERS

1B) A sound stage for the film Titanic The building is 315,000 square feet

2A) 61 donuts per year

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 3, 2021, 3:03 am

WW2 Statistics

A) More Russians died in the siege of one city (Leningrad) than the entire armies of the US and Britain COMBINED.

B) Stalin killed more people than Hitler during purges of undesirables. Stalin killed a estimated total of 25 million people versus Hitlers 12 million during ww2 (6 Million of which were Jews, during the Holocaust).

C) Up until 1940, there was a well established Nazi party operating in the United States. Among the supporters, Henry Ford, was one of the most notable members. He financially backed the party and Hitler himself with several million dollars. This of course ceased when the US become more involved in the war, especially after Pearl Harbor.

D) When the US declared war on Japan in 1941, there were a total of 1,000 nurses in the Army Corps. By the end of the war there were a total of 60,000 – less than 1% of these nurses were black.

The ‘Count of Auschwitz’…
Captured in France in 1940, British soldier Charles Coward made nearly a dozen attempts to escape German captivity. In 1943, the Germans decided they were done fooling around with him and sent him to the Monowitz slave labour camp.
Coward led his fellow Brits in smuggling food to Jewish inmates and passing coded notes to the Red Cross, who sent them back to England. At one point, he smuggled himself into the Auschwitz death camp for a night, then smuggled himself out and reported back to the British about what he’d seen. This hero bribed SS guards, saved at least 400 Jewish laborers, and gave testimony at the Nuremberg Trials

Coward joined the Army in June 1924 and was captured in May 1940 near Calais while serving with the 8th Reserve Regimental Royal Artillery as Quartermaster Battery Sergeant Major. He managed to make two escape attempts before even reaching a prisoner of war camp, then made seven further escapes; on one memorable occasion managing to be awarded the Iron Cross while posing as a wounded soldier in a German Army field hospital.[2] When in captivity he was equally troublesome to his captors, arranging several acts of sabotage while out on work details.

Finally in December 1943 he was transferred to the Auschwitz III (Monowitz) labour camp (Arbeitslager), situated only five miles from the better-known extermination camp of Auschwitz II (Birkenau). Monowitz was under the direction of the industrial company IG Farben, who were building a Buna (synthetic rubber) and liquid fuel plant there. It housed over 10,000 Jewish slave labourers, as well as POWs and forced labourers from all over occupied Europe. Coward and other British POWs were housed in sub-camp E715, administered by Stalag VIII-B.[3]

Thanks to his command of the German language, Coward was appointed Red Cross liaison officer for the 1,200-1,400 British prisoners.[4] In this trusted role he was allowed to move fairly freely throughout the camp and often to surrounding towns.[5] He witnessed the arrival of trainloads of Jews to the extermination camp. Coward and other British prisoners smuggled food and other items to the Jewish inmates. He also exchanged coded messages with the British authorities via letters to a fictitious Mr William Orange (Code for the War Office), giving military information, notes on the conditions of POWs and the other prisoners in the camps, as well as dates and numbers of the arrival of trainloads of Jews.[5]

On one occasion a note was smuggled to him from a Jewish-British ship's doctor, who was being held in Monowitz.[6] Coward determined to contact him direct, managed to swap clothes with an inmate on a work detail and spent the night in the Jewish camp, seeing at first hand the horrific conditions in which these were held.[4] He failed to find the individual, later found to be Karel Sperber - see below. This experience formed the basis of his subsequent testimony in post-war legal proceedings.

Determined to do something about it, Coward used Red Cross supplies, particularly chocolate, to "buy" from the SS guards corpses of dead prisoners, including Belgian and French civilian forced labourers.[7] He then gave the documents and clothes taken from the non-Jewish corpses to the Jewish escapees, who adopted these new identities and were then smuggled out of the camp altogether.[7] Coward carried out this scheme on numerous occasions and is estimated to have saved at least 400 Jewish slave labourers.[7]

In December 1944 Coward was sent back to the main camp of Stalag VIII-B at Lamsdorf (now Łambinowice, Poland) and in January 1945 the POWs were marched under guard to Bavaria, where they were eventually liberated.

A snaphance or snaphaunce is a type of lock for firing a gun or is a gun using that mechanism.[1] The name is Dutch in origin but the mechanism cannot be attributed to the Netherlands with certainty. It is the mechanical progression of the wheellock firing mechanism, and along with the miquelet lock and doglock are predecessors of the flintlock mechanism. It fires from a flint struck against a striker plate above a steel pan to ignite the priming powder which fires the gun.[2] Examples of this firearm can be found through Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.
The snaphance was used from the late 1550s, but by about 1680 it was gradually superseded and was still occasionally issued to reinforcements for Portugal for the British Army in the Wars of the Spanish Succession of 1703 and in Northern Italy where it was still in use until the 1750s. In Europe, and especially France, the snaphance was replaced by the flintlock with its combined steel/pan cover starting from about 1620. In England, a hybrid mechanism called the English Lock replaced the snaphance from the same date. Both the flintlock and the English lock were cheaper and less complex than the snaphance.

The snaphance dominated the New England gun market until it fell out of favor in the middle of the 17th Century. Virginia, Massachusetts, and Connecticut outlawed the outdated mechanism by the late 17th Century

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2021, 12:13 am

Secrets of the Space Shuttle Toilet
Traveling to space is serious business, and astronauts still have to do their business while they’re miles above the Earth. When astronauts aboard the Space Shuttle have to answer the call of nature in microgravity, they visit the space toilet. The toilet aboard the Space Shuttle—and the training that goes along with it—is guaranteed to destroy any romantic or glamorous ideas you’ve ever had about going to space.

As a technology that’s evolved since humans first traveled to space in the 1960s, the Space Shuttle toilet inspires lots of questions from those who have never been to space, so read on to find out how it evolved and how it works.

History

The very first space toilet wasn’t a toilet at all—it was a diaper! When Alan Sheperd became the first American to fly in space, he had to do his business in his space suit. The first proper space toilet predates Shuttle: both SkyLab and Salyut had toilets that finally replaced diapers and fecal bags. When the Space Shuttle was built in 1977, a special bathroom called the Waste Collection System (WCS) was installed inside of it, and its design deployed air pressure to ensure that waste could be suctioned out of the Shuttle. The Space Shuttle toilet was used by astronauts aboard the Atlantis, Challenger, Columbia, Discovery, and Endeavor missions.

Toilet Set-Up

The major difference between using the restroom on Earth and in space is gravity, so the Space Shuttle toilet is designed to work even while in microgravity.

The WCS consists of a toilet, which has footrests, a lever for flushing, and a seat belt or hip holds like you’d find on a roller coaster to ensure that astronauts remain seated and don’t float away while they’re doing their business. Astronauts climb down on to the seat, which has a hole about four inches wide—much smaller than the toilets that we’re used to.

In addition to the toilet, there is a long hose for urine that astronauts hook up to when they go #1. Every astronaut gets their own urinary funnel through which they direct liquid waste into the toilet. Waste is stored in a special chamber for return to Earth and liquids are periodically disposed of overboard.

On the walls of the Space Shuttle toilet there are small compartments for trash bags, gloves, and dry wipes. The bags are where astronauts dispose of their used wipes. Some other accessories included are conical fibers, sanitation agent, scraper tool, urine funnels, and a CO adapter. There is also a bin for trash on the side because nothing except for human waste can be disposed of in the toilet. If astronauts are ever in doubt about how any of these items work, there are directions on the wall for friendly reminders. Most importantly, the astronauts make sure that the WCS is always stocked with wipes!

Astronaut Potty Training

The Space Shuttle toilet is a very expensive piece of equipment, and if it breaks, everyone on board is in big trouble! That’s why astronauts go through rigorous potty training in the Positional Trainer to ensure that they can use the equipment safely and properly.

The Positional Trainer is equipped with a camera and a monitor so astronauts can see if they’re properly aligned with the toilet. This training device is jokingly referred to as NASA’s “deepest, darkest secret.”

Which building is on the back of a 10 UK Pound note issued 2017

a) Winchester Catherdral

b) Royal Pavilion

c) Windsor Castle

d) St Paul's Cathedral

Lester Ben Binion (November 20, 1904 – December 5, 1989) was an American gambling icon, career criminal, and convicted murderer who established illegal gambling operations in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas area. He would later relocate to Nevada, where gambling was legal, and open the successful Binion's Horseshoe casino in downtown Las Vegas.
In Las Vegas, Binion became a partner of the Las Vegas Club casino, but left after a year due to licensing problems.[19] In 1949, Benny opened the Westerner Gambling House and Saloon, but he soon sold out after conflicts with his casino partners.[20]

In 1951, he purchased the Eldorado Club and the Apache Hotel, opening them as Binion's Horseshoe casino, which immediately became popular because of the high limits on bets. He initially set a craps table limit of $500, ten times higher than the limit at his competitors of the time.[21] As a result of outdoing the competition, Binion received death threats, although eventually casinos raised their limits to keep up with him. Additionally, the Horseshoe would allow a bet of any size from a player as long as the bet was no larger than the player's initial bet.[22]

Binion was in the vanguard of Las Vegas casino innovation. He was the first in the downtown Glitter Gulch to replace sawdust-covered floors with carpeting, the first to dispatch limousines to transport customers to and from the casino, and the first to offer free drinks to players.[21] Although comps were standard for high rollers, Binion gave them to all players.[23] He also shied away from the gaudy performing acts typical of other Las Vegas casinos.[21]

Binion said he followed a simple philosophy when serving his customers: "Good food, good whiskey cheap, and a good gamble."[21][24]

Binion was known to be generous to patrons. For many years the Horseshoe had a late night $2 steak special, with most of the meat for the steaks coming from cattle on Binion's ranches in Montana. The Horseshoe is also believed to be the first major casino to offer 100-times-odds at craps (a patron with a bet on the pass or don't-pass lines could take or lay up to 100 times their bet in odds).[citation needed] The Horseshoe was one of the more profitable casinos in town.[22]

One of the tourist attractions in Binion's was a large horseshoe with $1 million in $10,000 bills, embedded in plastic.

After his trial and conviction in 1953, to cover back taxes and legal costs, Binion sold a majority share in the Horseshoe to fellow gambler and New Orleans oilman Joe W. Brown.[25] Binion’s family regained controlling interest in the Horseshoe in 1957, but did not regain full control until 1964.[26] Benny was never allowed to hold a gaming license afterwards. Instead, his son Jack became the licensee, with Benny assuming the title of Director of Public Relations.[27]

Binion styled himself a cowboy throughout his life. He almost never wore a necktie, and used gold coins as buttons on his cowboy shirts. Despite being technically barred from owning guns, he carried at least one pistol all his life, and kept a sawed-off shotgun close by. His office was a booth in the downstairs restaurant, and he knew many of his customers by name.

ANSWERS

a) Winchester Catherdral

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 5, 2021, 12:06 am

A ballpoint pen, also known as a biro[1] or ball pen, is a pen that dispenses ink (usually in paste form) over a metal ball at its point, i.e. over a "ball point". The metal commonly used is steel, brass, or tungsten carbide.[2] The design was conceived and developed as a cleaner and more reliable alternative to dip pens and fountain pens, and it is now the world's most-used writing instrument;[3] millions are manufactured and sold daily.[4] It has influenced art and graphic design and spawned an artwork genre.
Some pen manufacturers[who?] produce designer ballpoint pens for the high-end and collectors' markets.
The concept of using a "ball point" within a writing instrument as a method of applying ink to paper has existed since the late 19th century. In these inventions, the ink was placed in a thin tube whose end was blocked by a tiny ball, held so that it could not slip into the tube or fall out of the pen.

The first patent for a ballpoint pen[5][6] was issued on 30 October 1888 to John J. Loud,[7] who was attempting to make a writing instrument that would be able to write "on rough surfaces — such as wood, coarse wrapping-paper, and other articles"[8] which fountain pens could not. Loud's pen had a small rotating steel ball, held in place by a socket. Although it could be used to mark rough surfaces such as leather, as Loud intended, it proved to be too coarse for letter-writing. With no commercial viability, its potential went unexploited[1] and the patent eventually lapsed.[9]

The manufacture of economical, reliable ballpoint pens as are known today arose from experimentation, modern chemistry, and precision manufacturing capabilities of the early 20th century.[3] Patents filed worldwide during early development are testaments to failed attempts at making the pens commercially viable and widely available.[10] Early ballpoints did not deliver the ink evenly; overflow and clogging were among the obstacles inventors faced toward developing reliable ballpoint pens.[4] If the ball socket was too tight, or the ink too thick, it would not reach the paper. If the socket was too loose, or the ink too thin, the pen would leak or the ink would smear.[4] Ink reservoirs pressurized by piston, spring, capillary action, and gravity would all serve as solutions to ink-delivery and flow problems.[11][12]

László Bíró, a Hungarian newspaper editor (later naturalized Argentine) frustrated by the amount of time that he wasted filling up fountain pens and cleaning up smudged pages, noticed that inks used in newspaper printing dried quickly, leaving the paper dry and smudge free. He decided to create a pen using the same type of ink.[4] Bíró enlisted the help of his brother György, a dentist with a useful knowledge of chemistry,[13] to develop viscous ink formulae for new ballpoint designs.[3]

Bíró's innovation successfully coupled ink-viscosity with a ball-socket mechanism which acted compatibly to prevent ink from drying inside the reservoir while allowing controlled flow.[4] Bíró filed a British patent on 15 June 1938.[1][14]

In 1941, the Bíró brothers and a friend, Juan Jorge Meyne, fled Germany and moved to Argentina, where they formed "Bíró Pens of Argentina" and filed a new patent in 1943.[1] Their pen was sold in Argentina as the "Birome" from the names Bíró and Meyne, which is how ballpoint pens are still known in that country.[1] This new design was licensed by the British engineer Frederick George Miles and manufactured by his company Miles Aircraft, to be used by Royal Air Force aircrew as the "Biro".[15] Ballpoint pens were found to be more versatile than fountain pens, especially at high altitudes, where fountain pens were prone to leak

Bíró's patent, and other early patents on ballpoint pens, often used the term "ball-point fountain pen

How a one-armed Gurkha fought 200 Japanese troops with a bolt-action rifle
The martial tradition, training, and dominating warrior spirit of Gurkhas means they will do things in a fight that wouldn’t occur to even the most seasoned combat veterans. Gurkhas will fight outnumbered; they will fight outgunned. They hold their positions against impossible odds and often come out on top.
One of these stories of Gurkha heroism comes from Lachhiman Gurung in Burma after he was taken by surprise when Japanese troops opened up on him and his men and lobbed some grenades into their trench. Gurung picked up two of the grenades and threw them back to the 200 Japanese soldiers waiting in the darkness.
The third grenade blew up in Gurung’s hand.
He lost a few fingers, most of his right arm, and took shrapnel in his face and leg. Partially blind, bleeding profusely, and struggling to move, Gurung did something only a Gurkha would do: he pulled his Kukri knife with his good hand, stabbed the ground, and told the Japanese in a booming voice that none of them would make it past that knife.
He then picked up his rifle — a bolt-action Lee-Enfield Mk. III — chambered a round, and invited the enemy to “come fight a Gurkha.”

With his friends dead or dying, Gurung fought for hours, firing his bolt-action Lee-Enfield with one hand and killing anyone who entered his trench. He would lie down until the Japanese were on top of his position, kill the closest one at point-blank range, chamber a new round with his left hand, and then kill the enemy’s battle buddy.

Gurung killed 31 Japanese soldiers this way, fighting until morning the next day.

At the end of the battle, he was shouting “Come and fight. Come and fight. I will kill you!”

Gurung was hospitalized through the end of the war, losing partial vision in his right eye and the use of his right arm. He was awarded the Victoria Cross, Great Britain’s highest military honor, and was the only recipient still alive when his command presented medals for the battle.

Gurung’s only complaint after the fighting was that his wounded arm had flies swarming around it.

He eventually moved to the U.K. to live out his life in peace. But he reemerged in 2008 when a controversial policy revoked the rights of some Gurkha veterans who retired before 1997 to live in the country. The government said the Gurkhas failed to “demonstrate strong ties to the U.K.”

Lachhiman Gurung put on his medals rack, went over to Britain’s High Court, and made another “last stand” — this time for his fellow WWII-era Gurkhas, and he pleaded to the Court and to the Queen to be allowed to stay.

In a yet another demonstration of Gurkha tenaciousness, the British high court struck down the law that same year. It turns out Gurkhas have a special place in British hearts.

Lachhiman Gurung died 2010. He was 92

Return to “Open Forum”