Yes it really happened

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by tamada » July 24, 2022, 5:50 am

Doodoo wrote:
July 23, 2022, 10:18 pm
backspang noun

Definition of backspang
chiefly Scottish
: a trick or loophole that enables one to retreat from a bargain
I used a backspang to avoid buying any Lurpak at Cheese 2 Meet You.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 25, 2022, 11:51 pm

Mosquitoes are even worse than you think
In experiments not even remotely as cute as tickling rats, scientists have discovered that mosquitoes urinate on us while feeding on our blood. They’re exploring ways to prevent this and thereby control the spread of dengue fever, yellow fever, and other diseases.

Are some people mosquito magnets? Here’s what experts say
https://ca.yahoo.com/style/are-some-peo ... 33809.html

HOOPTY

Basically, a piece of sh t car. Usually cheap and/or broken down. Can be any size, make or model, but must (or should) be embarrassing to drive for some reason, such as when you bump the stereo all the plastic "effects" you have hot-glued to the exterior rattle, instantly betraying the cheapness of your bling.

A hoopty can be anything from a '78 Cadillac Brogham with the panels missing in front of the brake lights (but replaced on only one side with duct tape), to a fine purple two-year old Hyundai Elantra with three spinner hubcaps and a vanity plate that reads BBY GRL.

The term has also been used in certain circles as an insult to one's boy or girlfriend, as in scrub or hoochie mama.
1. Can you believe he be gettin' all mad whenever somebody lean up against his old stupid hoopty.

2. I can see now you ain't nothin' but a hoopty.

MCDONALD SECRETS

You have to ask for fresh food
If you want your World-Famous Fries and McDouble fresh out of the oven rather than precooked and reheated, you have to ask. Don't just assume everything is fresh based on the chain's high ingredient turnover. "Some places do a bad job at keep[ing] track of the fresh timers. I'd personally ask for everything fresh even if you have to wait 3-5 min[utes] for it to be ready,"

McDonald's beef is Grade A
While there are rampant rumors that everything from eyeballs to worms is in your McDonald's hamburger, that's hardly the case. The burgers are made of high-quality stuff. "[It's] Grade A beef. That's it," wrote one employee. "The only stuff we added on it was salt and pepper after it cooked."

Drive-thrus won't serve you on foot
If you stumble up to a McDonald's drive-thru on foot and employees won't serve you, they're not just being difficult. "We have a policy that forbids us from serving people who are not in a 'motorized vehicle' in [the] drive-thru because it can be unsafe," wrote one employee. "Bicycles, electric scooters, and pedestrians cannot be served."

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 26, 2022, 9:24 pm

The longest drum roll on record is 10 hours 26 minutes

Performed by a child sitting behind me during flight Delta 963 Tokyo to Los Angeles

zeit·geist
/ˈzītˌɡīst/
noun

the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time:
"the story captured the zeitgeist of the late 1960s"

waggish Audio pronunciation

adjective | WAG-ish

What It Means

Waggish means “resembling or characteristic of a wag”—a wag being a clever person who is prone to joking—and is also a synonym of humorous.
// With a wink and a waggish grin she emptied the sugar bowl and refilled it with salt.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 27, 2022, 12:32 am

Bloody hell, DooDoo, what kind of a woman swaps the sugar for salt?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 27, 2022, 10:17 pm

EXPENSIVE FOODS

Saffron
Saffron is extracted from the stigma of the Crocus sativatus flower. Each flower has just three stigmas, and they must be gently harvested by hand. It takes more than 75,000 flowers to harvest one pound (0.45 kg) of saffron.

Da Hong Pao tea
Some varieties are fairly affordable, but aged Da Hong Pao teas are more precious than gold. In fact, by weight this tea sells for 30 times the price of gold. The mineral-rich water in which the tea trees grow gives Da Hong Pao its unique flavour. There are not many of these trees left, which is making this already pricey tea even more expensive.

Bonnotte potatoes
Noirmoutier, a small island, measuring barely 50 km2, is home to what many describe as the best potatoes in the world. The Bonnotte is a small, round potato with fragile skin that can only be harvested by hand, just 15 days a year. The price can reach up to US$588 (CA$740) per kg, enough to drive up the price of a plate of fries.

Almas caviar
Almas caviar comes from a rare species of fish, the albino beluga sturgeon, which swims in Iran’s Caspian Sea. It regularly sells for more than US$30,000 (CA$38,000) per kg, due in part to the rarity of the fish, which must also be between 60 and 100 years old.

Densuke watermelon
Would you be willing to pay the 2020 rate of US$2,000 (CA$2,500) for a melon? That would actually be a steal. In 2008, a Densuke watermelon was sold for US$6,100 (CA$7,700). Densuke watermelons are very rare and are grown only on Hokkaido Island.

Ways to prevent luggage being lost

Remove all old bag tags from your baggage: "It's not a badge of honor on where you've been and confuses the scanners trying to direct your bag to the correct flight pier."Take those unnecessary decorative bag tags, strings, or bows that could also get caught in the system: "Don't check in boxes and if it's absolutely necessary, don't wrap them with rope."

iconoclast

noun | eye-KAH-nuh-klast

What It Means

Iconoclast originally referred to someone who destroys religious images or who opposes their veneration. It is now used to refer broadly to anyone who attacks widely accepted beliefs or institutions.

// The comedian had developed a reputation as a contrarian and an iconoclast for whom no topic was off-limits.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 28, 2022, 6:17 pm

Bletchley Park is an English country house and estate in Bletchley, Milton Keynes (Buckinghamshire) that became the principal centre of Allied code-breaking during the Second World War. The mansion was constructed during the years following 1883 for the financier and politician Sir Herbert Leon in the Victorian Gothic, Tudor, and Dutch Baroque styles, on the site of older buildings of the same name.

During World War II, the estate housed the Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS), which regularly penetrated the secret communications of the Axis Powers – most importantly the German Enigma and Lorenz ciphers. The GC&CS team of codebreakers included Alan Turing, Gordon Welchman, Hugh Alexander, Bill Tutte, and Stuart Milner-Barry. The nature of the work at Bletchley remained secret until many years after the war.

According to the official historian of British Intelligence, the "Ultra" intelligence produced at Bletchley shortened the war by two to four years, and without it the outcome of the war would have been uncertain.[1] The team at Bletchley Park devised automatic machinery to help with decryption, culminating in the development of Colossus, the world's first programmable digital electronic computer.[a] Codebreaking operations at Bletchley Park came to an end in 1946 and all information about the wartime operations was classified until the mid-1970s.

After the war it had various uses including as a teacher-training college and local GPO headquarters. By 1990 the huts in which the codebreakers worked were being considered for demolition and redevelopment. The Bletchley Park Trust was formed in February 1992 to save large portions of the site from development.

More recently, Bletchley Park has been open to the public, featuring interpretive exhibits and huts that have been rebuilt to appear as they did during their wartime operations. It receives hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.[2] The separate National Museum of Computing, which includes a working replica Bombe machine and a rebuilt Colossus computer, is housed in Block H on the site.

In 1867 Alfred Noble developed Dynamite He left a fund which is now worth in the neighborhood of $500million dollars

Add salt to make water boil faster
Some advice suggests that adding salt to water will make it boil faster and cook your food quicker. It doesn’t quite work like that, though. Salted water has a higher boiling point, meaning it will take longer to boil. You should still season your pasta or potato water, just do it after it’s reached boiling point.

Golf Cake
Q: When is a birthday cake like a golf ball?
A: When you slice it.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 29, 2022, 9:29 pm

whoopensocker (English)
Noun
whoopensocker (pl. whoopensockers)
(slang, chiefly, Wisconsin) Something remarkably large; whopper.
That’s a whoopensocker of a cheese curd.

‘stiffrump’ (18th century) : a highly obstinate individual who refuses to budge.

HIGHEST PAID WOMEN

Kylie Jenner
The 22-year-old ranked #1 taking home $590M in 2020.

Ellen DeGeneres
The Ellen DeGeneres Show host was paid $84M coming in at #12.

Judy Sheindlin
The Judge Judy host brought in $49M putting her at #49.

Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift took home $63.5M putting her at #25.

Rihanna ($37.5 million)

Deadliest Animals

Stonefish
Stonefish, also called Synanceia, blend in with their surroundings while sleeping on the ocean floor. For this, it is much easier for some unlucky people to step on them, which is where the problem starts. When you step on their spine, it lets out a poison that is both painful and dangerous. If the person doesn’t get help right away, they may die. Some people say that drinking vinegar can help ease pain, but if the pain is terrible, antivenom is needed. Stonefish are most common in the waters off the coast of Australia, which is a good thing because the beaches there are ready to deal with this dangerous animal. On most of Queensland’s beaches, you can find a unique vinegar to use if you get stung while swimming.
Black Mamba
The black mamba is the world’s fastest snake, which can move up to 12.5 miles per hour. Like the Golden Poison Dart Frog (which we will talk more about in a moment), one bite from this snake is toxic enough to kill ten people. Some medicines can stop the effects of the venom, but they must be given within 20 minutes of the bite, or the person will die. You might see one of these snakes if you are traveling through the savannas of Southern or Eastern Africa. However, you shouldn’t worry too much because they’ll only attack if they feel threatened.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 30, 2022, 3:02 am

I'm looking forward to the next post when we will discuss the Golden Poison Dart Frog. Don't forget, DooDoo.

You do read what you copy and paste, don't you?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 30, 2022, 5:51 am

I'd love to see someone necking a bottle of vinegar after stepping on a stonefish. :D
Watch Me!!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 30, 2022, 8:34 am

"You do read what you copy and paste, don't you?"
Is the Dementia setting in Ernie? You have asked this before numerous times and I have explained I have people like yourself that are Proof Readers and fulfill this requirement.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 30, 2022, 8:35 am

Is the Dementia setting in Ernie? You have asked this before numerous times and I have explained I have people like yourself that are Proof Readers and fulfill this requirement.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 30, 2022, 8:37 am

Doodoo wrote:
July 30, 2022, 8:35 am
Just in case anyone missed it.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 30, 2022, 12:19 pm

Vinegar to save you from a stonefish, I don't think so. Old wives tail that it helped with blue bottle stings, from personal experience as a stingee (made up this word, please feel free to reuse), the vinegar makes it worse. Current practice is rinse with fresh water and apply ice to area of sting.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2022, 1:07 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 30, 2022, 12:19 pm
Vinegar to save you from a stonefish, I don't think so. Old wives tail that it helped with blue bottle stings, from personal experience as a stingee (made up this word, please feel free to reuse), the vinegar makes it worse. Current practice is rinse with fresh water and apply ice to area of sting.
Since we already have the ice, any advice on the correct Bundy dosages?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 30, 2022, 1:27 pm

Stone_Fish_at_AQWA_SMC2006.width-750.jpg
How is Stonefish Sting Treated?
The treatment measures for Stonefish Sting may include:

The first line of treatment is often to remove the stingers/spines by gently pulling them out with a pair of tweezers; breaking the spines must be avoided
The use of very hot water can help reduce the potency of the venom, and hence, the wound is soaked for up to an hour in hot water. This can also help reduce the pain intensity
Once the spines are removed, the affected area is washed with soap and fresh water
The wound is left uncovered to heal
Topical antiseptics may help prevent wound infection
Pain relieving medications (acetaminophen) as required
Administration of antivenom (antivenin)
Tetanus vaccination is usually required, if it is not up to date
In case of severe stings, it could be a medical emergency and prompt attention has to be provided. The treatment measures may include:
CPR may be provided as necessary, breathing assistance
Stabilizing the blood pressure
Pain control medications, steroids
Proper follow-up care and check-ups may be required, especially to monitor for any signs of infection
https://www.dovemed.com/diseases-condit ... ish-sting/
th (29).jpg
https://www.healthline.com/health/blue- ... what-to-do

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 30, 2022, 4:27 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 30, 2022, 8:34 am
Doodoo wrote:
July 30, 2022, 8:35 am
You don't read your copy and pastes then. You post someone else's work from the interweb then you rely on others to 'proof read'. If we're proof reading your posts then does it follow you're passing off someone else's work as your own? In other words, are you plagiarising?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 30, 2022, 4:34 pm

To quote a well known answer to that question ....... Yes it really happened (except when it didnt)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 30, 2022, 4:39 pm

From the beginning I have made it known that this is not my work (if you had been reading apparently not) The purpose of this column was and is to pass on , yes pass on others information, to read. If this continues to be offensive to you or anyone else I invite them to NOT read this column and therefore will not have negative comments

Good luck in the future

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 30, 2022, 4:49 pm

But that's like saying 'I'm robbing your bank but it's OK because I'm telling you I'm doing it. If this offends you then hide behind the counter'. Same same to lifting someone else's work from the interweb then saying it's OK because you've already told us.

If only you provided a link...hey ho.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 30, 2022, 5:28 pm

Not the link thing again
All you have to do is highlight some of the article aqnd Google it If this is too difficult for you then you shouldnt be here

Return to “Open Forum”