Can opener issues

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Can opener issues

Post by tamada » August 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

I have been struggling with opening cans of imported stuff recently. Seems like it clamps down and the cutting disk punctures the top OK. But when I turn the key, the teeth can't find much of a lip to grip on and bugger all happens. This is with a couple high quality can openers as well that worked OK before, maybe about 6 months ago. One of them is almost new. Looking at the cans, it does seem that the lip is smaller than I remember so maybe there's a new can design that 'old' can openers can't get a grip on? Mrs tam just mentioned she had the same issue opening a can of mushrooms from Big C that were canned in China. I have a battery-operated side cutter which is on its last legs so wondering if I need to get some can openers when I'm in the UK.

Ta
tam

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Can opener issues

Post by jackspratt » August 22, 2019, 9:23 pm

You are likely to be opening a can of worms with this new thread, tam. :D

Have you tried Lazada? :oops:

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 23, 2019, 7:29 am

tamada wrote:
August 22, 2019, 8:54 pm
I have been struggling with opening cans of imported stuff recently. Seems like it clamps down and the cutting disk punctures the top OK. But when I turn the key, the teeth can't find much of a lip to grip on and bugger all happens. This is with a couple high quality can openers as well that worked OK before, maybe about 6 months ago. One of them is almost new. Looking at the cans, it does seem that the lip is smaller than I remember so maybe there's a new can design that 'old' can openers can't get a grip on? Mrs tam just mentioned she had the same issue opening a can of mushrooms from Big C that were canned in China. I have a battery-operated side cutter which is on its last legs so wondering if I need to get some can openers when I'm in the UK.

Ta
tam
Tam try the horizontal approach , instead of clamping down on the top ,the can openers will also clamp from the side ,i also had this problem , it works fine from the side ,as in cutting of the top rather than cutting into the lid ,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 23, 2019, 12:25 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
August 23, 2019, 7:29 am
tamada wrote:
August 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Ta
tam
Tam try the horizontal approach , instead of clamping down on the top ,the can openers will also clamp from the side ,i also had this problem , it works fine from the side ,as in cutting of the top rather than cutting into the lid ,
You might be onto something there Hoopoe. Not too proud to admit that after maybe 50 years, I discover ANOTHER thing I've been doing wrong.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Tam.. There is a video of this on utube somewhere. I only came across it this year. Couldn't believe all these years I didn't know about it. 555

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 25, 2019, 9:27 am

Hoopoe wrote:
August 23, 2019, 7:35 pm
Tam.. There is a video of this on utube somewhere. I only came across it this year. Couldn't believe all these years I didn't know about it. 555
Well, I tried both the expensive can openers in 'alternative' mode as broadly suggested and once again no joy. The battery-operated Culinaire side-cutter came to the rescue.

Side bar: Don't ever waste your money on "Bonner's" processed peas. Like eating bloody pebbles!

Return to “Open Forum”