What makes you feel old?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

What makes you feel old?

Post by stattointhailand » August 30, 2018, 8:43 pm

Just browsing one of the facebook local history sites and someone has uploaded a "Pathe news" clip which shows me with an afro haircut pale blue "whistle" with Yellow shirt and kipper tie at the last West Ham Speedway meeting :yikes:

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: What makes you feel old?

Post by dunroaming » August 30, 2018, 8:54 pm

so post the picture then and now

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

Everyone who can be bothered knows what I look like now, and the 1972 version is on a video so no photo :oops: :oops: :-$

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 30, 2018, 9:02 pm

Today I was watching a film of Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane in the 1970's, I used to go there a lot when I was a kid and i was always amazed how the crockery demmer never broke anything, he would throw a whole dinner service high in the air, catch it and it all used to be in one piece, it was a ritual, bratwurst off the old German Jew in the archway in the big red brick building, do some shopping then potato latka's, salt beef and pickles from the deli halfway down the lane. Markets were so different then, the spielers and demmers were all part of the show, now you just get a Bangladeshi who barely speaks English let alone work a crowd. Those really were the days when markets were worth going to, did I feel old, you bet.

https://youtu.be/1CehQaogaF0Regards
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 31, 2018, 5:28 am

Pathe News....my gawd, blasted Chicken making a racket! :mrgreen:

Can remember going to the Saturday Afternoon pictures with my best mate, think we must have been 14 or so.

Soon as the lights dimmed, out came a pack of 5 Park Drive, & we felt so grown up - never mind after 2 drags I wanted to puke!! :D

But does anything make me feel old...?

The onslaught of health problems that I've had over the last year, & the death of my dear mum a few years ago, has made me very aware of the passing of time.

Talking on Line with my sister the other day; she was looking after her Grandson, who insisted that he spoke with 'Uncle John' Except, I'm his great uncle, of course.

Other things....hearing some of the younger people prattle on with their 'views' their 'opinions' when 99% of it is utter nonsense. How they don't realise that we invented 'sex & drugs & rock & roll'.

Yea, 05:25 & I've been on another new blend of coffee. Makes me ramble like an old goat ..

Do Goats actually ramble though......? \:D/

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 31, 2018, 7:04 am

stattointhailand wrote:
August 30, 2018, 8:58 pm
Everyone who can be bothered knows what I look like now, and the 1972 version is on a video so no photo :oops: :oops: :-$
lots of ways to take a photo from a video . Easiest . play with vlc player (or any player really) pause at the place where you want a snapshot . Go to video at the top of the player ,scroll down and click take a snapshot and it will save in your pictures.
Pause the video ,Open snipping tool crop the photo you want and save to desktop

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 31, 2018, 10:09 am

stattointhailand wrote:
August 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

To be honest Stats you look quite smart, kids today look like $hitbags in the main.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 31, 2018, 10:41 am

Being a grandad !!!
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 31, 2018, 10:53 am

I can see the resemblance :lol:

amazing what a flat cap and whippets 'll do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LyS88fgX_w

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » August 31, 2018, 1:12 pm

vincemunday wrote:
August 30, 2018, 9:02 pm
Today I was watching a film of Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane in the 1970's, I used to go there a lot when I was a kid and i was always amazed how the crockery demmer never broke anything, he would throw a whole dinner service high in the air, catch it and it all used to be in one piece, it was a ritual, bratwurst off the old German Jew in the archway in the big red brick building, do some shopping then potato latka's, salt beef and pickles from the deli halfway down the lane. Markets were so different then, the spielers and demmers were all part of the show, now you just get a Bangladeshi who barely speaks English let alone work a crowd. Those really were the days when markets were worth going to, did I feel old, you bet.

https://youtu.be/1CehQaogaF0Regards
I use to go to petticoat lane in the 70s every couple of months on a Sunday with me sister and brothers just for a ride out ,we travelled all the way from SW14 Mortlake garage to Aldgate on a No 9 bus ,I think we went the whole route without changing buses ,but that’s one thing about getting old the memories fade.One thing is for certain I can never remember feeling unsafe riding around London at that time .Regarding the bone China dinner sets I bought me late mum one at Xmas at Brentford Market. About Feeling old it’s the aches and pains for me and the loss of strength.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 31, 2018, 3:17 pm

It was safe! We had Bobbies on the street, there was no need for them to carry guns or even tasers, they had their truncheons and would dive into any altercation knowing full well that most people would respect the fact they were policemen and would give them the respect they deserved. Over the years we have become conditioned to accept the violence mainly imported from other countries, to accept that it's all part of parcel of every day living, had we seen a policeman with a gun we would have been horrified but now we accept it as the norm and in some scenarios we become nervous if we are in a place and there aren't any armed policemen present. We had conductors and clippies, now the bus drivers hide in bullet proof cages and train staff and security guards wear stab vests. We were lucky, we were among the last generations who lived in an age where we could live our lives enjoying safety and freedom that kids today will never know, it's far too unsafe to let them do the things we did.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 31, 2018, 3:34 pm

I think scholars say the world is a less violent place than it's ever been and that immigrants commit less crime than those born locally. I'm not up with the UK position and evidence.

When I perv at eye candy I feel old. The candy looks so young. Too often under half my age.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 31, 2018, 3:58 pm

We aren't talking about the world, we are talking about London, your scholars are fools and completely wrong.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 31, 2018, 4:06 pm

GT93 wrote:
August 31, 2018, 3:34 pm
I think scholars say the world is a less violent place than it's ever been and that immigrants commit less crime than those born locally. I'm not up with the UK position and evidence.

When I perv at eye candy I feel old. The candy looks so young. Too often under half my age.
A less violent place?

Just who are these scholars, the world is most definitely not less violent.

Can you provide some links please?

:D

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 31, 2018, 4:07 pm

Here are some stats, add to this the huge problem of child rape that's committed by mainly Pakistani males and you get a rough outline of the overall picture.
Attachments
IMG_0339.PNG

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 31, 2018, 4:17 pm

Vince, We also had members of staff on EVERY PLATFORM of every tube and overground railway ready to answer questions from a lost tourist or make a twelve year old schoolgirl safe in the knowledge that someone was there to help if needed on her way to or from school. Would ANY parent now let a girl travel to school alone? I'm sure that having CCTV cameras, and having a guy three stations away watching on a screen must fill them with confidence =;

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 31, 2018, 4:18 pm

Back on topic

When you go to the Doctors and they are much younger than you and look like students that makes me feel old. Also when the misses tells me she's 30 now so called Clasic model now lol

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » August 31, 2018, 4:30 pm

What makes me feel old? Quite simply nothing. Age is a state of mind which easily overcomes the physical disabilities of aging .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 31, 2018, 5:36 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
August 31, 2018, 4:30 pm
What makes me feel old? Quite simply nothing. Age is a state of mind which easily overcomes the physical disabilities of aging .
Sorry na, but can you tell me the name you use on this forum.

My eyes ain't so good see.....

:-"

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 31, 2018, 5:36 pm

See, bloody emoticons don't always work.

:-"

Return to “Open Forum”