Yet another school shooting in the US

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Yet another school shooting in the US

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 7:29 am

Shado wrote:
May 31, 2022, 7:24 am
stattointhailand wrote:
May 30, 2022, 9:04 pm
As they say you will never be able to fix a problem until you are prepared to accept that you have a problem
Has someone suggested that the United States does not have a problem with guns and mass shootings?
The NRA? They say it's all caused by poor federal mental health care, no? They have also handily aligned themselves with the police defunding argument.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 31, 2022, 7:35 am

i see canada is moving towards banning hand guns.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 7:37 am

Oh Buddha:
After a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Tex., that claimed the lives of 19 children and two teachers last week, many politicians, public figures and gun-control advocates said the U.S. government should ensure mass shootings could not happen again.

But mass shootings have already happened again — and again. At least 14 mass shootings have taken place across the United States since Tuesday, from California to Arizona to Tennessee.

This Memorial Day weekend alone — spanning Saturday, Sunday and the federal holiday on Monday — there have been at least 11 mass shootings.

These incidents, gleaned from local news reports and police statements, meet the threshold for mass shootings as defined by the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research organization.

GVA defines a mass shooting as one in which “four or more people are shot or killed, not including the shooter.” Several of those shootings occurred at parties, and one at a Memorial Day event.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ga-uvalde/

Even with a well-functioning political system this would be a very difficult problem to solve.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 31, 2022, 8:02 am

tamada wrote:
May 31, 2022, 7:29 am
Shado wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:
As they say you will never be able to fix a problem until you are prepared to accept that you have a problem
Has someone suggested that the United States does not have a problem with guns and mass shootings?
The NRA? They say it's all caused by poor federal mental health care, no? They have also handily aligned themselves with the police defunding argument.
The NRA knows there is a problem with guns and mass shootings and has stated so. They represent less than 10% of the "uncivilized" Americans who own guns. Most American gun owners and Americans without guns are at odds with the NRA's position and propaganda. I've not seen anyone on this current forum topic who has suggested that the United States does not have gun-related problems. The United States (civilized or not) recognizes the problem. Fixing it will be an enormous task.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 31, 2022, 8:54 am

Shado wrote:
May 31, 2022, 8:02 am
.. . .. I've not seen anyone on this current forum topic who has suggested that the United States does not have gun-related problems .. . ..
don't think anyone has. it's just the thrill of joust.
the pis*-take. trying to get under others skin. oh,
it's jolly good fun granted. brit national pastime

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 9:02 am

Shado wrote:
May 31, 2022, 8:02 am
tamada wrote:
May 31, 2022, 7:29 am
Shado wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:
The NRA knows there is a problem with guns and mass shootings and has stated so. They represent less than 10% of the "uncivilized" Americans who own guns. Most American gun owners and Americans without guns are at odds with the NRA's position and propaganda. I've not seen anyone on this current forum topic who has suggested that the United States does not have gun-related problems. The United States (civilized or not) recognizes the problem. Fixing it will be an enormous task.
I agree with you. The NRA are a powerful entity that represents a minority of gun owners but we must accept also that their minority gun ownership must fully support the NRA's posture. How come they still wield such a disruptive influence? Is it really all down to irresponsible US arms industry, craven US politicans and a lack of resolve? I read a few years back that the NRA was going broke and if it wasn't LaPierre and other line managers that were being investigated, it was his predecessor(s)?

I also agree that no UM member on this current forum topic has said there isn't a gun problem although SFG came close with his 'wages of sin' opinion. Even pepe's trolling deflections don't suggest that he's in denial. When it comes to non-members, Sen. Cruz, Gov. Abbott and A.G. Paxton lead the current bellwether for this idiocy.

I think there's a common trope that the 'gun nuts' like to propagate about cars killing people so they should also ban cars. That's conflating the 'root cause' with the 'cause and effect'. Cars don't kill people, unlicensed, reckless or drunk car drivers cause cars to kill people. However, you don't leave unlocked, gassed-up cars lying around the den, under the front seat or in the nightstand. To me, it's the same logical reason why you don't light a cigarette while you are pumping gas.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 31, 2022, 9:36 am

The NRA are a powerful entity that represents a minority of gun owners but we must accept also that their minority gun ownership must fully support the NRA's posture. How come they still wield such a disruptive influence? Is it really all down to irresponsible US arms industry, craven US politicans and a lack of resolve?
I think Political action committees (PACs) are a huge part of the problem. As long as politicians take money from them, legislation will favor "special interests'. This holds true for big pharma, big insurance, big banking, big unions, etc. It's not a system that benefits the average voter and rarely reflects the collective will of the populace.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 31, 2022, 12:40 pm

Wyrd bio ful araed

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 12:44 pm

Eh? That needs a bit of reworking noosard.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 31, 2022, 12:48 pm

I think it might be Welsh GT, but then again only one L has me confused

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 12:57 pm

noos is telling us he has fallen and can't get up.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 31, 2022, 5:49 pm

Too many Leos?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 31, 2022, 5:58 pm

try google

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 31, 2022, 5:59 pm

not welsh but anglo saxon

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2022, 6:52 pm

noosard wrote:
May 31, 2022, 5:59 pm
not welsh but anglo saxon
Bugger me, that's a bit deep, noos. You'll need to explain yourself at UFES this Friday.

As my gran used to say, "What's afore you will ne'er go by you." Pithy eh?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2022, 8:26 pm

Oh dear.

From ABC News:

Uvalde police, school district no longer cooperating with Texas probe: Sources

https://abcnews.go.com/US/uvalde-police ... d=85093405

Cowboys. The lot of 'em.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 1, 2022, 8:35 pm

No tam thats just the mob from Dallas

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 1, 2022, 8:37 pm

The horse has well and truly bolted, so let's dig deep into who left the door open.

Blindingly obvious of course, that would be the gutless politicians, and the even more complicit are the numerous "Your Honours" who have politicised and disgraced the Supreme Court over many years.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 2, 2022, 5:38 am

Bowing down to the so-called NRA who ionfact represent a mere about 1.5 odd percent of the whole population, their figures NOT mine, has caused countless deaths across the board. Plus the ignorance, stupidity and certainly self serving members of Congress and the SENate has for years encouraged and sought to curry favour of a mere tiny proportion of the population .
I bet they will NEVER ask for a referendum in all the States regarding this problem as they know in some it will be Blood bath , but deep down they know the answer and are afraid to ACT and judging by comments made by those most vocal who do not care about their voters, hardly surprising
Idiots with Guns rulled by idiots springs to mind, or you get what you voted for , A large dose of KARMA

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 2, 2022, 7:10 am

KP,

Hard to disagree with your post, but one qualification.

Many Americans who do not belong to the NRA are fierce supporters of the right to bear arms. A whole lot more than 1.5% of the population.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “Open Forum”