Yet another school shooting in the US

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Yet another school shooting in the US

Post by glalt » May 25, 2022, 10:35 pm

tamada wrote:
May 25, 2022, 11:28 am
glalt wrote:
May 25, 2022, 9:18 am
It should be obvious by now that new laws will help NOTHING. These lunatics pay no attention to the law. I too have no idea what needs be done other than trying to enforce the laws that already exist.
"When there's no bars on the asylum, you hide all the guns and sharp objects."

Gun Laws for Dummies 101

Hope this helps.
What good did the law do. How many laws did this lunatic break? I would guess that this lunatic gave warning signs that he was certainly NOT stable.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 25, 2022, 10:41 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 25, 2022, 10:48 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 25, 2022, 8:59 pm
trekkertony wrote:
May 25, 2022, 8:43 pm
Rafael Edward Cruz was born on December 22, 1970,[4][5] at Foothills Medical Centre[6][7] in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to Eleanor Elizabeth (née Darragh) Wilson and Rafael Cruz.
Still born an American citizen. Nobody can ever be President unless born an American citizen. Can be a senator or congressman but not president. Of course Ted had a couple of failed attempts to be Republican nominee for the White House.
His sudden revocation of Canadianese was around 2016 when several US court cases about his eligibility arose after his initial tilt at the Republican presidential nomination looked... threatening. The courts ruled he was American born through his mother.

He also unexpectedly suspended his campaign during which Trump filled the vacuum and the rest as they say, is history. I recall having an enlightening discussion with my lawyer buddy in Houston around the time when the choice was either Cruz or Trump. We agreed that Trump would be a loose canon whereas Cruz would be really, really dangerous. The only thing worse could be Mike Pence in the White House. Our fear was evidenced by Cruz finally endorsing Trump after going through the motions. I doubt Trump or many of the GOP really trust him.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 25, 2022, 11:06 pm

glalt wrote:
May 25, 2022, 10:35 pm
tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:
It should be obvious by now that new laws will help NOTHING. These lunatics pay no attention to the law. I too have no idea what needs be done other than trying to enforce the laws that already exist.

Gun Laws for Dummies 101

Hope this helps.
What good did the law do. How many laws did this lunatic break? I would guess that this lunatic gave warning signs that he was certainly NOT stable.
Plenty laws broken but not any with significant importance. My point is that with regard to guns, there are no meaningful or easily enforceable laws in place. Each state dictates their take on what's Constitutionally permissible while the NRA sounds the dog whistle of Federal interference.

So, if you have a society where dangerous lunatics can roam undetected (not unique to the US), you "hide" things that they can easily buy to hurt themselves and others. For example, stopping selling guns at Walmart would be a start and not just pulling them off the shelves when the local Blacks get rowdy. Don't quote me on this but Blacks, sane or otherwise, don't do shopping mall, night club, rock concert or school massacres.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » May 26, 2022, 12:21 am

tamada wrote:
May 25, 2022, 11:06 pm
glalt wrote:
tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:

Gun Laws for Dummies 101

Hope this helps.
Plenty laws broken but not any with significant importance. My point is that with regard to guns, there are no meaningful or easily enforceable laws in place. Each state dictates their take on what's Constitutionally permissible while the NRA sounds the dog whistle of Federal interference.

So, if you have a society where dangerous lunatics can roam undetected (not unique to the US), you "hide" things that they can easily buy to hurt themselves and others. For example, stopping selling guns at Walmart would be a start and not just pulling them off the shelves when the local Blacks get rowdy. Don't quote me on this but Blacks, sane or otherwise, don't do shopping mall, night club, rock concert or school massacres.
Between 1982 and May 2022, 68 out of the 128 mass shootings in the United States were carried out by white shooters. By comparison, the perpetrator was African American in 21 mass shootings, and Latino in 10. When calculated as percentages, this amounts to 53 percent, 16 percent, and 7.8 percent respectively.
Rappers being murdered in night clubs or concerts dont tend to be victims of whites but their own ethnic population.

We Scots also had to suffer the Dunblane massacre of innocents, but we then took guns of the Streets as much as you can.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 26, 2022, 2:34 am

1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year
1 in 20 U.S. adults experience serious mental illness each year
1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-34
maybe that's a reason to control guns, attempted suicides are a call for help, but having guns around means those attempted turn into suicides.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 26, 2022, 2:57 am

From The New York Times:
The share prices of gun and ammunition companies often rise after mass shootings, with investors anticipating a spike in sales ahead of calls for stricter gun laws. On Wednesday, after a deadly shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, prices for major gun stocks gained momentum in early trading, following a subdued start. In afternoon trading, Smith & Wesson was up more than 7 percent, Sturm Ruger rose about 5 percent and Vista Outdoor gained nearly 9 percent.

Gun makers’ shares have generally risen since President Biden’s election, as they typically do under Democratic administrations, when calls for tougher gun control measures get more attention. On Tuesday, Mr. Biden declared that it was “time to turn this pain into action” and Democratic lawmakers cleared the way to force votes on legislation that would strengthen background checks for gun purchasers, which have previously been blocked by Republicans.
:shock:
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 26, 2022, 6:59 am

papafarang wrote:
May 26, 2022, 2:34 am
1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness each year
1 in 20 U.S. adults experience serious mental illness each year
1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-34
maybe that's a reason to control guns, attempted suicides are a call for help, but having guns around means those attempted turn into suicides.
Going by those figures it means 20 Senators are experiencing Medntal Illness..........that explains a lot then ...hahaha

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 26, 2022, 7:10 am

ted is a career politician. fancy education at princeton & harvard. described as brilliant by his
profs. but next to country people, all seems fake

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 26, 2022, 9:05 am

the usual B S , i mean anyone supportive of guns turning up to press conferences over the mass murder of children, the usual BS of thoughts and prayers. if the shooter purchased the guns legally then obviously there is a problem , you could say he could has purchased them illegally, again there's a problem.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 26, 2022, 9:28 am

tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:
tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:

Gun Laws for Dummies 101

Hope this helps.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 26, 2022, 9:47 am

tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:
tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:

Gun Laws for Dummies 101

Hope this helps.

The existing laws failed, the government failed along with law enforcement. Here we have an underage kid from a broken family who buys not one but two assault rifles along with body armor. Why would this kid buy two assault rifles and body armor? Did the shop owner who sold the guns think this was strange? Why would he not report this?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 26, 2022, 9:57 am

glalt wrote:
May 26, 2022, 9:47 am

The existing laws failed, the government failed along with law enforcement. Here we have an underage kid from a broken family who buys not one but two assault rifles along with body armor. Why would this kid buy two assault rifles and body armor? Did the shop owner who sold the guns think this was strange? Why would he not report this?
What you ask is correct, glalt - but a further question that most rational people would be asking is why are assault rifles and body armour available for sale in the 1st place?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2022, 10:01 am

glalt wrote:

I agree, but if the laws are weak, that's because lawmakers want them that way. Law enforcement can't make the existing laws any stronger or else they risk breaking the law themselves.

As for the gun shop owner selling assault weapons and kevlar to a a kid who just qualified by age to buy the stuff and not wondering why or reporting it, there are no laws that says he has to do that. Of course there are things like a conscience, social responsibility and the like but if the lawmakers don't exercise any, why should the gun shop owner?

Plus it's Texas where federal statistics indicate the highest proportion of these "roam and shoot" sort of gun incidents take place. I heard that on the radio a few hours ago. Do your own research.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 26, 2022, 10:10 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 26, 2022, 9:57 am
glalt wrote:

What you ask is correct, glalt - but a further question that most rational people would be asking is why are assault rifles and body armour available for sale in the 1st place?
Yes, that is my question. Who needs it, and for what? Other than for use by the military and police, ordinary citizens should not possess this equipment or have any use for it.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2022, 11:14 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 26, 2022, 10:10 am
jackspratt wrote:
May 26, 2022, 9:57 am
glalt wrote:

Yes, that is my question. Who needs it, and for what? Other than for use by the military and police, ordinary citizens should not possess this equipment or have any use for it.
Is this about rational people versus those who use the rationale of defending Constitutional rights?

Then again, I recall being told about a former workmate in Louisiana who bought a new gun with every second paycheck. He had dozens of them already. What was his rationale? He wasn't big on hunting and in New Iberia, he wasn't too worried about home invasions either. Wasn't your stereotypical NRA gun nut and not sure if he was even a member. Seemed to me that 'because he can' was the only reason he did it.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 26, 2022, 1:12 pm

what to do then? This 18 year old jackass met the legal qualifications for purchasing a firearm. He passed a background check. That met the requirements for the gunshop to sell the guy the two rifles and ammo. Information that's come out since the incident have school acquaintances saying the kids did a number of unbalanced acts such as cutting his own face "for fun.." News reports indicate his grandparents had the cops at their house for Domestic Disturbances with the kid on a number of occassions.. But, no arrest, no flag in the system to stymie a background check and legal gun purchase.

I see ol' "damn right I'll take your AR-15's and AK-47's" Beto O'Rourke had to cause a disturbance at the press conference on the shooting. He got his face time in the media and follow-on interviews asking why he did it. blah blah blah. The top politicians are all in a tizzy screaming, "do something!!!!" Yeah, OK, but how about some specifics?? Analyze the incident and throw out some clear recommendations on (even though its after the fact) things that would have prevented the shootings... How about raising gun purchase age to 21 the same as alcohol?? States that want to can certainly raise excise taxes on firearms and ammunition to any levels that the public will accept.. More in-depth background checks? How would that work for an 18 year with nothing in the "system"? Mandatory firearms safety training? Yeah, make them pay for it too.. I don't see the US going down the Australian or UK routes. Too many millions of firearms out there... A culture imbued with firearms....
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2022, 1:39 pm

Yes, I saw the tighty righty whitey's running that lefty queer futhermucker Beto out of town on a rail. Shouting all sorts of vile personal insults while ultimately cowering behind the deep personal tragedies of the families of these latest child victims. People who invited O'Rourke to town. Abbott couldn't even muster a tear or a choked voice as he implored an unidentified collective "we" to do something. Probably went on to Luke's Diner afterwards to discuss Friday's NRA bash in Houston and what titty bars to visit.

When i first relocated to Texas and bought a car, my "no insurance history" was lumped in with those with a "bad insurance history". This despite a clean driving record elsewhere in the world and at 35, being well outside the high risk driver age demographic. About three years after I arrived, Texas legislated that the above policy was illegal and my premiums dropped but only after I changed insurance companies. State Farm thumbed their nose at the new law. Why can't they legislate that "no gun history" doesn't automatically mean "good gun history"? Texas kids go through a probationary period when it comes to driving. Can't the young whippersnappers be similarly hobbled when it comes to firearms? No! Because you're stomping on their Constitutional rights to be a potential murderer!

Don't you think America has had enough time to analyze mass murder by firearms already? To stop something, you have to start something. It's like heroin. It's an addiction.

How about a 30-day, nationwide moratorium on ALL gun sales. You know, a bit of methadone for the addicted ones? Try and have your Constitutional rights removed for a month. See if you die. See how many school kids don't.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 26, 2022, 1:54 pm

in england last year, there were 28,000 knife crimes
not actual homicides but injuries etc and that
doesnt include crimes where no-one was hurt/cut
10% of homicides committed with guns even . there's a larger mental health element to all this
easier to get guns in u.s., problem same elsewhere

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2022, 2:17 pm

pepesgrill wrote:
May 26, 2022, 1:54 pm
in england last year, there were 28,000 knife crimes
not actual homicides but injuries etc and that
doesnt include crimes where no-one was hurt/cut
10% of homicides committed with guns even . there's a larger mental health element to all this
easier to get guns in u.s., problem same elsewhere
Sleepy Joe nailed it when he said, "I just got off my trip from Asia, meeting with Asian leaders, and I learned of this while I was on the aircraft. And what struck me on that 17-hour flight — what struck me was these kinds of mass shootings rarely happen anywhere else in the world.

Why? They have mental health problems. They have domestic disputes in other countries. They have people who are lost. But these kinds of mass shootings never happen with the kind of frequency that they happen in America. Why?"

In the US, these "roam and shoot" outrages saw a 50% increase in 2021 over 2020 which itself saw a 100% increase over 2017.

Take the guns away, wrestle them out of the NRA's "cold dead hands" if necessary. But just do it.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Open Forum”