Police road checkpoints

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by FrazeeDK » July 10, 2015, 5:12 pm

Bottom line up front; any alterations of additions to a vehicle are supposed to be annotated to the vehicle book (color change, Carryboy etc.)

While driving to Bangkok today got waved over by a Highway Patrol checkpoint on Rte 2 near Phon. The policeman asked for my driver's license, showed his proficiency in English by reading my name to me, then pointed at my Carry Boy on my pickup and asked for my copy of my vehicle book.. He reviewed the document and stated that since he didn't see the Carryboy listed on it, we were in violation of the law and would get a 200 baht fine.. The wife went over to the Officer's desk, had the ticket written up, paid the 200 baht and off we went.. Now, I'd seen this a couple of times on the forum in the past but since I'd bought the truck directly from the dealer with the Carryboy on it, assumed that everything was correct on the title book.. Evidently not.. So, when we get home, we'll take our vehicle book down to land transport along with the original purchase document showing the Carryboy and get it corrected, if necessary.. I'd never really looked at it in the past closely.. For all I know there is something other than the 1st/2nd page copy that I had in the vehicle that shows the Carryboy...

Dave

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by pf-flyer » July 11, 2015, 5:26 am

The same thing happened to my brother in-law. He bought a Toyota Pick with the stainless steel ranks all ready installed by the dealer. It makes me wander how many of those songtails that we all see running around town picking up and dropping off people have the addition annotated in their vehicle book.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

pomps
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by pomps » July 11, 2015, 6:12 am

I would hope so pf-flyer alongwith insurance and properly maintained vehicle 8)

Maybe frazee you can ask the dealer to refund you the police payment by showing them the ticket or at least try 8)

Got caught a few years back as had a colour change on the front of my pickup in udon,there was no ticket so just presumed the usual bib teamoney,now i know it is a requirement on documentation 8)

parrot
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by parrot » July 11, 2015, 7:24 am

Just to keep things in perspective (is it bib money or legit fine).........Google "is Texas a 2 license plate state" and look at the variety of answers.
Apparently it is.......I was refused entry onto a military base recently because the vehicle I was in didn't have on one. That, after having been admitted onto the base a half dozen times without question. And that despite several Texas vehicles in a nearby base parking lot without front plates.
It really doesn't matter (much) if all the songtaews are driving without the modification being noted in their book, it only matters if you have a carryboy and your book is annotated.
Over to you, Grasshopper.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by reddevil » July 11, 2015, 7:48 am

parrot wrote:Just to keep things in perspective (is it bib money or legit fine).........Google "is Texas a 2 license plate state" and look at the variety of answers.
Apparently it is.......I was refused entry onto a military base recently because the vehicle I was in didn't have on one. That, after having been admitted onto the base a half dozen times without question. And that despite several Texas vehicles in a nearby base parking lot without front plates.
It really doesn't matter (much) if all the songtaews are driving without the modification being noted in their book, it only matters if you have a carryboy and your book is annotated.
Over to you, Grasshopper.
And what dose Texas law have to do with Thailand, looks like you have to much time on your hands parrot better you just sit back and watch a John Wayne movie :lol: :lol:

reddevil
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by reddevil » July 11, 2015, 7:53 am

FrazeeDK wrote:Bottom line up front; any alterations of additions to a vehicle are supposed to be annotated to the vehicle book (color change, Carryboy etc.)

While driving to Bangkok today got waved over by a Highway Patrol checkpoint on Rte 2 near Phon. The policeman asked for my driver's license, showed his proficiency in English by reading my name to me, then pointed at my Carry Boy on my pickup and asked for my copy of my vehicle book.. He reviewed the document and stated that since he didn't see the Carryboy listed on it, we were in violation of the law and would get a 200 baht fine.. The wife went over to the Officer's desk, had the ticket written up, paid the 200 baht and off we went.. Now, I'd seen this a couple of times on the forum in the past but since I'd bought the truck directly from the dealer with the Carryboy on it, assumed that everything was correct on the title book.. Evidently not.. So, when we get home, we'll take our vehicle book down to land transport along with the original purchase document showing the Carryboy and get it corrected, if necessary.. I'd never really looked at it in the past closely.. For all I know there is something other than the 1st/2nd page copy that I had in the vehicle that shows the Carryboy...
FrazeeDk FYI watch out on your drive back from BKK speed trap in 50 kph zone just after you climb up the hills at cement factory Saraburi. Aircraft on the right side next left hand bend they have put up a 50 sign right on the bend and only 50 mgr after the sign on centre reservation is the camera 500 bht fine through the post.

I think the BIB made a lot of cash on that one as all traffic is traveling around 80 to 100.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by pf-flyer » July 11, 2015, 8:02 am

pomps wrote:I would hope so pf-flyer alongwith insurance and properly maintained vehicle 8)

Maybe frazee you can ask the dealer to refund you the police payment by showing them the ticket or at least try 8)

Got caught a few years back as had a colour change on the front of my pickup in udon,there was no ticket so just presumed the usual bib teamoney,now i know it is a requirement on documentation 8)
I see it as a discretionary and arbitrary enforcement and the mood and mindset of the individuals on duty that day. I am amused and I just shake my head and say to my wife wow look at that; when I see the condition of some of the vehicles that I see while I am driving down the highway.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by FrazeeDK » July 11, 2015, 9:42 am

perhaps that day was "stop any pickup with a Carryboy."
Dave

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by kubotatim » July 11, 2015, 9:58 am

Normally they stop anyone who looks like an easy tea money target.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by FrazeeDK » July 11, 2015, 10:46 am

I've got Krungthep license plates and my windows are a 20% tint so I don't think they could have seen my big balding white boy head... When they waved me in there were at least 8 other vehicles there.. I saw 3 other checkpoints going down who were pulling over various vehicles but I didn't get waved over again. I keep my speed below 100kph, I don't run red lights or push yellow ones, and I drive European style and get back into the left lane after passing to keep from getting jacked up over "you stay in passing lane too long."
Dave

fatbob
udonmap.com

Police road checkpoints

Post by fatbob » July 11, 2015, 10:55 am

Exactly, they stop anyone and everyone, the colour of money is the same, they don't care.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Police road checkpoints

Post by parrot » August 19, 2022, 1:17 pm

As is usually the case on my drive to Udon from K.18, there's a checkpoint at Kilo 8 (Aug 13,14,15,16,18, 19) where a wave-through is standard. Today, I got pulled over, along with several other vehicles. The cop said I was using my phone....but I assured him that I never do when I'm driving. Back and forth a bit, but he waved me through.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 19, 2022, 1:56 pm

They will certainly I feel be stepping up Checkpoints due to the latest law regarding Seat Belts.
Drinking is also a No no, as most of their Testers go uncalibrated for weeks / months. Just saying they might have dealt with that but still do not trust them one inch ..!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 19, 2022, 2:33 pm

On the West ring road side:

Often I see one after 8pm at the location I have noted in the map as A. for breathalyzer.

The B. and C. locations at the intersection of 216 they are out during the day and attempt to try it on with red light running. I take my dash cam with me and challenge them as I have seen them change the light after I entered on green to a quick yellow and making it red when exiting the intersection which I reckon is complete BS on more than one level.

I have won that one three times now.
PoliceWest.jpg
I don't mind paying if I am wrong but god help them if I know I am right.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “Open Forum”