Is Phuket worth the trip?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » October 11, 2014, 1:30 pm

I've not been to Phuket since a few months prior to the Tsunami but have read and heard a lot of negative stories about how things have changed there in the past few years. I am considering to do a trip there with the family (wife, grown up kids and in-laws) soon, really only for the simplicity of the direct flight offered from Udon, but I can't decide if it is worthwhile!
I would be greatful for some input from people that might have been there recently. We are looking for a nice beach not too far from the bars, restaurants and shops. Obviously, we are not looking for the sex scene [-X

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » October 11, 2014, 1:33 pm

Just fly to Bangers,& get a minibus ( from Victory Monument ) to Pranburi.....Lovely Beaches in that area....

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » October 11, 2014, 1:36 pm

Phuket is a total rip off dump

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Post by MrFixer » October 11, 2014, 2:13 pm

I find Phuket rather shabby and also expensive. There are much nicer places on the Andaman coast - cheaper too. Fly to Phuket, rent a car and drive north up the coast.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » October 11, 2014, 5:21 pm

Your Thai family will have great trouble believing most Thai residents of Phuket are their countrymen so it may be quite an experience for them.

marcudon
udonmap.com

Post by marcudon » October 11, 2014, 6:06 pm

I went to Phuket in 2004 6 months before the tsunami and i have a lot of great memories. I was back there only 5 years later and i leaved after 5 days. The ' land of smile ' changed into the land of business. It was not friendly anymore and the smile disappeared as in so many places here now. So i guess that it can only be worse now...

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Is Phuket worth the trip?

Post by JoeThrows » October 11, 2014, 6:25 pm

I had to travel to Phuket several times each year on business and never cared for it. You never get the feel if being on an island, traffic is a mess, prices comparable to Samui/bkk etc. there are dozens of places in the kingdom I'd visit first before Phuket. If it's the direct flight from udon that interests you, then fly into Phuket, rent a car and drive around krabi and trang, great scenery, beaches, karst hills, islands, slower pace and more memorable for visitors unless of course they just want to shop in another rip off western style shopping mall. In that case choose Phuket.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » October 11, 2014, 7:06 pm

JoeThrows wrote:I had to travel to Phuket several times each year on business and never cared for it. You never get the feel if being on an island, traffic is a mess, prices comparable to Samui/bkk etc. there are dozens of places in the kingdom I'd visit first before Phuket. If it's the direct flight from udon that interests you, then fly into Phuket, rent a car and drive around krabi and trang, great scenery, beaches, karst hills, islands, slower pace and more memorable for visitors unless of course they just want to shop in another rip off western style shopping mall. In that case choose Phuket.
I agree, although several years ago I met my parents who were on a package holiday from the UK to Phuket (Patong Beach), staying at a very nice hotel with a good breakfast buffet included and the inclusive price they paid was excellent value, in fact it cost me as much if not more to drive down from Udon and stay at the same place. Nothing was expensive in their eyes compared to other holiday destinations. They enjoyed it and so did we especially my father and I on a night out. Everything for the average holidaymaker is there in Phuket.
I think Phuket is geared up more for these kind of package deals where the holidaymakers are unaware of the prices in Thailand.

OT.............. \:D/

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 12, 2014, 10:25 am

karonsteve wrote:Your Thai family will have great trouble believing most Thai residents of Phuket are their countrymen so it may be quite an experience for them.
Fully agree, I was shocked with the pushy attitude of Phuket in general, I used to visit Pattaya, but never go there either now, mainly because of Eastern tourists. In Phuket, you could not walk without being accosted by prostitutes on the main street at 10:00am, and taxi touts waving placards in your face. Give Phuket a miss.

I passed through Bang Saen earlier this year, and felt that I could stay there for a holiday, very clean beach, open wide beachfront area, no prostitutes, and a wide choice of hotels on the beach front.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 12, 2014, 10:53 am

err...no
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 12, 2014, 11:06 am

Quite amusing most of these posts, it is strange how Phuket is deemed to be Patong only. There are still some beautiful area's in Phuket with some of the best hotels and beaches.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 12, 2014, 11:11 am

Quite agree if you go upmarket and stay in a luxury resort for the holiday.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Is Phuket worth the trip?

Post by JoeThrows » October 12, 2014, 11:51 am

Actually every time I go there I stay at the royal Phuket marina, patong is 20-30 min away. Still don't care for it for all the above reasons. Locals are a great reason not to go, same problem with Samui, tourism seems to bring out the worst in these people

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 12, 2014, 11:59 am

joepai wrote: by joepai » October 12, 2014, 11:11 am

Quite agree if you go upmarket and stay in a luxury resort for the holiday.

There are a lot of small family run bungalows that are quite cheap, in quiet surroundings close to beaches and run by lovely family's that really take care of their guests, its not all black and white as is being described in this thread.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » October 12, 2014, 12:07 pm

stereolab wrote:
karonsteve wrote:Your Thai family will have great trouble believing most Thai residents of Phuket are their countrymen so it may be quite an experience for them.
Fully agree, I was shocked with the pushy attitude of Phuket in general, I used to visit Pattaya, but never go there either now, mainly because of Eastern tourists. In Phuket, you could not walk without being accosted by prostitutes on the main street at 10:00am, and taxi touts waving placards in your face. Give Phuket a miss.

I passed through Bang Saen earlier this year, and felt that I could stay there for a holiday, very clean beach, open wide beachfront area, no prostitutes, and a wide choice of hotels on the beach front.
In Phuket, you could not walk without being accosted by prostitutes on the main street at 10:00am. Bulldust!

Plenty of nice places to stay, some nice island or jungle tours, and a wide variety of foods at reasonable prices. Try Karon, Kamala, Rawai. Try staying at one of the good resorts

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 12, 2014, 5:21 pm

I've just had a week in Patong i was even asked to pay to park my bike expensive dirty and a waste of time and money went to paradise beach had to pay when I went to eat paid more, simply told farang price. 200tbt lady drink small Leo in soi Bangla 150 Tb. Also the girls got arsey and swore when they didn't get a drink off me. Last and final time for me to visit there again.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » October 12, 2014, 5:33 pm

The Ladies I encountered were not selling somtan, perhaps I am wrong , but what were they then?

I only had 2.5 days on Phuket, but in that time we visited as many places as possible outside of our hotel in Patong, based there as my wife was designing websites for a local bar. I referred to "Phuket in general" as the greedy and grasping attitudes seemed prevalent throughout my stay.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » October 12, 2014, 5:55 pm

Have been there five times the last time two and a half years ago I did go there nine months after tsunami every one appreciated you and you business now it is totally different would not waste my money as for the girls forget them just find a nice cheap bar and restaurant if you want to go but i not reccomend Patong to any one.

marcudon
udonmap.com

Post by marcudon » October 12, 2014, 6:53 pm

In 2004 you had to pay 1500 THB to play golf in phuket , the courses were great and it was really friendly. !0 years later you have to pay more than 4500 THB...And you feel that you are not welcome as in so many touristic places in Thailand now. I will never go back to phuket anymore. Even in Trang (koh muk) they try to rent basic bamboo bungalow 2000 THB a night during the low season.You have to argue to get a small discount. A few years ago such a bungalow costed 300 THB..And most of the time the thai staff is so lazy now ,unfriendly and only absorbed by playing with their mobile phones.I still enjoy to leave here but things are going worse and worse especially the services . And may be our safety too now...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » October 13, 2014, 9:34 am

Lived and worked in Phuket for eighteen years, there are still some great places, beer, I pay 80 baht, Patong I stay away from, getting constantly bothered by prostitutes,,, well brother you must be a real hansum man, sometimes the anger directed at expat tourists is in the know it all unfriendly attitude they portray to the locals.
I seem to be able to live in Phuket, enjoy Samui, Pattaya, Bangkok, Udon and every where in between with no desire to return to Aus, I feel sorry for those that blame the location with out looking at themselves, its the old story, places change here as it doe's back home, nothing stays the same, fancy a Thai wanting to become wealthy,,,, they should remain poor to be my servant always!

Return to “Open Forum”