The history of sport

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
oldfield

Post by oldfield » October 27, 2006, 11:07 pm

Don't forget though, Baseball was created from cricket. It was just simplified because the yanks didn't understand the rules.

And in such the same way American football was created from Rugby. Again...rules rules rules.

I s'pose the same could be said for Basketball and netball.

I quite like the US sports though but it winds me up when they call it the 'World Series' - 'cos nobody else really plays, so why call it that?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 28, 2006, 8:39 am

:lol: Hate :wink: to burst your little bubble Oldie,but Baseball was developed as an American game from an 11th century game played by English maidens called ''stoolball',as was cricket and many other games involving the hitting of a ball and running from one point to another.Although to listen to some you Brits,you would think your point is to make Americans seem inferior to you.It had nothing to do with cricket or ''Yanks'' not understanding the rules.I think Yanks perception of rules is equal to the Brits.There are always those people that get an ''ego boost'' or attempt to elevate their low self esteem by inferring someone else in inferior.Shameful!

Now American football is a variation of English rugby,but a much more dangerous sport.I mention it being more dangerous because many ,non-Americans tend to blather on about it ''not being as manly'' as Rugby!American football is a real collision sport!It requires a lot of ''equipment for protection as many injuries and deaths have occurred!That does not make it superior to Rugby by any means,probably just more Barbaric.Afterall barbaric is probably as close description of what the term ''manly''infers during these testosterone blathers!

Most games ,things and ideas in the World are not 100% original,but variations of other ideas that are seemingly ''improved'' by the accolades of those so interested.They are not a perversion of some English idea of purity of the game!

The ''World Series'' is a name that has developed for the American baseball championships.It is not a ''superiority thing'' in relationship to baseball played around the world!
In the late 1880's there were to baseball leagues,both in America !Each leagues called their league champions, The Champions of the U.S..They were competing against each other and neither wanted to recognize the other!
When they did decide to play a competing series of games,they sought and individual more grandisoe name as not to be confused with the previous individual leagues championship titles.They originally called it ''The World's Championship''.In the reporting of the games by sports writers,the name was shortened to ''World's Series'' and then eventually to ''World Series''!
As baseball has expanded to many countries,It would not surprise me to see ''A World Cup of Baseball' for the more Nationalistic type veiwers!There is no doubt in my mind that the USA would not dominate those games,as many,if not most major league baseball players in America are from other countries!
Maybe they will even have a ''World Professional league Championship Series'' in the future.
Much credit to Little League of America in the development of baseball in other countries! :)

hxjohn
udonmap.com

girls game

Post by hxjohn » October 28, 2006, 9:03 am

baseball is a girls game :shock: only in england we call it rounders same same all my sisters played with half the size bats as you lard arse yanks
only jokeing :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: girls game

Post by BKKSTAN » October 28, 2006, 3:03 pm

hxjohn wrote:baseball is a girls game :shock: only in england we call it rounders same same all my sisters played with half the size bats as you lard arse yanks
Yeh,but your sisters are so fat they need a lot of chairs.Plus you probably want them to have a game that keeps them away from us yanks with ''our bigger than yours''bats :lol: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: girls game

Post by beer monkey » October 28, 2006, 3:33 pm

hxjohn wrote:baseball is a girls game :shock: only in england we call it rounders same same all my sisters played with half the size bats as you **** **** yanks
Ooooo, yeah the girls rounders team at school running round in circlesImage

and the girls Basketball team ..Whoops i meant Netball team,throwing a ball to each other then trying to put it in a net. Whilst us boys where hiding round the corner having a smoke thinking we looked good. :wink: Happy days.
now there's a bit of history for you.

VicVegas
udonmap.com

Post by VicVegas » October 28, 2006, 4:58 pm

Thank you BKKStan for explaining that to Oldfield.

As an American living here in Thailand I often hear these sort of derisive comments, mostly from Brits, about baseball and the NFL. "It's a girls game" and "We really invented it." Well, the US was originally a British colony, but I think we have changed and developed our own identity after these 200 some years, and that extends to our sports also. I think we simply prefer the sports we grew up with.

I find your football boring for a variety of reasons, mostly because the clock doesn't stop when the ball changes hands and there are long, loooong stretches where no one scores. I'm used to the NFL, where the clock stops often and there's more contact and scoring.

To me your football is a lot of running around with guys whining about getting tripped, sort of like watching windsprints with a ball. Most footie fans I've talked to enjoy the fluidity of the game, and the lack of scoring doesn't bother them. I think it's similar to how I feel about a pitcher's duel in baseball - there's not much action but I can appreciate the mental game being played between pitcher and hitter.

Of course, I don't see much of a mental game in your football. It seems like a pretty simple game to me (kick the ball in the goal), but maybe I'm missing something. I think your football is popular in under-developed and poorer countries largely because of it's simplicity, plus all you need is a ball and an open space. Baseball and the NFL require more equipment and are complicated to learn.

To me, hockey is an obvious improvement upon your football. Put the players on ice skates, give them sticks, and let them bash into each other. Same with basketball, which is the same basic game (put the ball in the opponants goal) except it's faster paced and has a lot more scoring. Both hockey and basketball have solved the basic problems I have with your football, and that's why I like them better. A metaphor for America's violent nature and short attention span? Perhaps, but much more entertaining, in my opinion.

I respect your right to enjoy the sport of your choice. I'm just baffled that you prefer it to the other sports mentioned. As the girls we ALL love would say, "Up to you." :)

BTW, did you notice that in this entire post I never used the word "soccer"? :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 28, 2006, 5:16 pm

VicVegas wrote:It seems like a pretty simple game to me (kick the ball in the goal), but maybe I'm missing something.
LOL! If it were that simple everyone would be professional footballers. IMO it takes a lot of skill to play football or any sport for that matter. Just because football only requires a football and no fancy equipment like American football, Ice hockey etc it doesn't mean you need less skills IMO. There's a little more to football than just kicking it in a goal!

Each to their own I guess. :)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 28, 2006, 5:27 pm

To me your football is a lot of running around with guys whining about getting tripped
yes sadly there is plenty of whinning and plenty of diving to go with it,it seems part of the game nowadays.But there is plenty of skill involved too.
i think if you partake in all these sports like Am-football and ice hockey,basketball etc they would be a bit more exciting and intersting,most in uk where brought up with football,boxing,cricket, rugby, kabbadi and croquet.So thats what we do(sometimes badly) :shock: .
you chaps where brought up on am-footy and ice hockey/basketball and the motorsport where you drive a car round and round an oval style track very fast for hours,so thats what you watch play and like.

VicVegas
udonmap.com

Post by VicVegas » October 28, 2006, 6:44 pm

and the motorsport where you drive a car round and round an oval style track very fast for hours,so thats what you watch play and like.
Notice I did NOT include NASCAR in my list of "sports". I contend driving a car in a circle for hours is NOT a sport. :roll:

Saying football is just "kick ball in goal" is probably too simple of an analysis. I know they have plays drawn up and have to play defense, but it is a much more basic game than baseball or NFL football.

I tried to get into the World Cup. I even picked a team (Germany) and rooted for them. But after a few games with 3-plus hours of scoreless action, I gave up on it.

Hey, I read books and watch subtitled movies - I'm a patient person, but I just lost interest. I'm sure if I had grown up watching and playing footie I'd love it like you guys.

It's hard to complain when you live in Thailand, but it's frustrating when the sports I love are at best given passing attention, and at worst ridiculed.

You Brits have it so good over here. The locals love your football, it's on TV 24/7, plus they drive on the same side of the road as you do. :)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 28, 2006, 7:03 pm

I wonder why the Thais haven't taken to NFL football, baseball or hockey.

I do see your point with regards to British football. I remember going to watch a football (soccer) match with a few fellow Aussie work mates in Melbourne. There were no goals scored in the first half and only one goal in the last few remaining minutes of the second half. They all complained about the lack of goals and how boring it was. I guess I could see their point to some extent, especially after watching an Aussie Rules game.

I did enjoy the ice hockey when I was over in Canada (Go canucks). I think the best part of it was when the game broke out into a fight. There was a fight in almost every match I watched. You wouldn't get away with it in British football these days.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 28, 2006, 8:20 pm

yes sorry about the nascar mention vicvegas that was just thrown in for good measure.
You are right about english footy in Thailand its BIG,and everywhere.
But the american WWF(if you like that,i personnally don't) has a fair following but i think we have the romans to thank for that,
as it was them who started that sport millions of years ago ! Image

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 28, 2006, 8:43 pm

VicVegas wrote:
BTW, did you notice that in this entire post I never used the word "soccer"? :lol:
Unfortunately Vic, you did use the word "soccer", and it is there for all the world to see :D

A couple of comments:

On basketball - it's one redeeming feature is that you only have to switch over to the TV channel for the final 90 seconds to see what has happened for the entire game.

On football - the only real football exists downunder, and I am not talking about thugby. Aussie rules football is by far the fastest, most athletic, toughest and spectacular of all the football codes. And they don't need multiple time-outs, gladiator protective equipment, and 2 different teams (orfense and deeefense) for the one club.

jack

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 28, 2006, 8:51 pm

Stan,

Stoolball is not a "maidens" game. It is a game for both sexes. Teams are generally split 50:50. It is still played in my part of the country where there are many leagues and divisions catering for all abilities.
I think if you watch rugby you will see that no one wears helmets or the extra protection that American Footballers do. This is why it is commonly referred to as being a "mans" game. Like AF serious injuries are common.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 28, 2006, 8:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there recently was a "World Cup of Baseball".

America got knocked out, so it was not heavily reported and now the idea has been dropped.

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 28, 2006, 9:12 pm

...and they lost the basketball world cup.I think Spain won in the end.
Bald is beautiful.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 28, 2006, 9:18 pm

ICE HOCKEY RULES --- GO FLYERS

the rest, just a bunch of wimps :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 28, 2006, 9:36 pm

On football - the only real football exists downunder, and I am not talking about thugby. Aussie rules football is by far the fastest,
yes is that the one where the men wear tight shorts and cap-sleave shirts and can't decide wether to pick the ball up or just kick it and the ref use's both arms with a finger out-stretched on each hand to point somewhere?
originated from English rugby and Gaelic football. has a bit of a following in a few countrys .
was fun and good to watch,i seemed to remember i used to watch that sunday mornings about 15 years ago after a heavy night on the sauce.

john2005
udonmap.com

Post by john2005 » October 28, 2006, 9:45 pm

You are right John,the Americans came third in a real bona fida world championship:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_wcm/index.asp

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 28, 2006, 9:58 pm

:lol: Thais havn't taken to American football because it is to complicated and their is to much expense.Soccer is much more simpler game to play ,learn and equip!
Rugby is an excellent game ,but it is not even close to the physical impact that is involved in American football!
I don't feel that American athletes are superior to athletes of other countries.I am happy that Spain won the the basketball championship.After all it is a team sport and a team of excellent players that practices together alot is superior to a team full of Superstars!And it is a great lesson for the superstar individuals,plus it is good for the sport as a business!
It is always great to root for your Nations team,but the bottomline for me is teamwork.I love rooting for the good team versus the hotshot superstars!
I have come to appreciate football/soccer as I have learned about the game.The teamwork involved is the game,not just the goal scoring.My least favorite part of the game is shoot outs as the best team doesn't always win!
I think when one makes a effort to understand everything they can about any sport,it can be quite interesting!Most people that knock individual sports don't make the effort to learn the game,choosing to focus on and favor sports they grew up understanding!
It's kinds of like Americans ,Brits and other Nationalities that knock the sports they never have been involved in and never take the time to learn nonfamiliar sports!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » October 29, 2006, 7:29 am

this topic comes down to the core of who you are and where you came from. those of us lucky enough to grow up in western countires generally had OUR sport or sports as the focus of OUR childhoods. we can all rationalise and argue because of the passions we feel for our chosen games. footy (aussie rules) and cricket were my childhood winter then summer diet of sport. to me they are still the two games that I understand inherently. i love to try and think what the players and coaches are thinking. being a student of the games has shaped the way I think. i can watch rugby union or league or american football and not understand why things are happening, or why decisions have been made. soccer ( or the new politically correct term in aust 'world football') is a simple game to understand and it's the passion of watching premiership matches that gets me in.
but this is always gonna be a case of each to his own. go doggies.

Return to “Open Forum”