Guitar care ?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Guitar care ?

Post by GARYZX6R » October 26, 2010, 5:47 pm

Hi Guys
This is my first post so be gentle.
I plan on moving to Udon in December after early retirement and have been wondering about my guitar.Strange you might think !
Is the heat and humidity going to warp it if I leave it out on show in the lounge ?
Or do I have to leave it in its case.
I rather look stupid after you read this than have my SG 61 bent in a different shape to what it should be,lol.
Thanks for any advise.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Re: Guitar care ?

Post by lepidoptra » October 26, 2010, 6:59 pm

Gary
As you know guitars are climate sensitive. I have 2 strats and another guitar. I make sure that they are kept out of direct sunlight and preferably in the coolest place in the house. When it gets really hot I place a small fan in the direction of the guitars. I keep 1 strat in a hard case which has the moisture crystals inside.
A big problem is the rusting of strings. It's important to clean each string after use and spray with a light oil (i.e WD40)
Touch wood so far, in 4 years, :D I have no problem with neck warping
I trust this may help to keep your guitar in A1 condition

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » October 27, 2010, 10:50 am

My acoustic guitar I have had 20 years.Been with me in Thailand 16 years,Never had a case, left about the house.
Still sounds good.But could be better. Maybe weather not suitable here, I dont know.Never thought about it really.
Rusty strings? Tell me about it! I think maybe a lot of problem.....sweat from the hand? If the strings not wiped, within two days,gets covered in a crust!

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » October 27, 2010, 11:19 pm

Thanks Guys for the advise,looks like i be buying some WD40
Cheers

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » October 28, 2010, 7:01 am

My experts advise that guitars are happy in the same environmental conditions as humans, say 65 - 75 deg F n 50 % humidity....

In high humidity, metal parts rust and pit. In low humidity, the wood dries out, particularly the neck. This is readily visible. Regular cleaning/lubricating with commercially avalable cleaners/polishes, eliminates both problems... You can get them here in the guitar stores... (No offense to anyone, but WD 40 was specifically mentioned as a no no by my experts...)

For interior electricals, the spray can dust removers and contact cleaners available here, work great.

I have not had any serious problems with my 10+ guitars since I've been here...

FYI: Cold temps can cause finish cracking, particularly if the instrument is moved precipitously from warm to cold... Not a likely problem here...

webbairukeurope

Post by webbairukeurope » October 28, 2010, 10:53 am

i have just read your message about your guitar i have a gibson howard roberts and a american strat which i keep in my bedroom out of the sunshine i think you will be ok but to be sure i would keep it out of the sunshine and watch nobody goes near it with a bottle of beer a thai spilt some loe beer on my gibson and it took me ages to get it off the guitar take care jimmy webb

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » October 28, 2010, 1:17 pm

LilRed wrote:(No offense to anyone, but WD 40 was specifically mentioned as a no no by my experts...)
No you havn't offended me but you might have offended the many experts on the Internet who use WD40 to clean their strings after use.
Of course it makes common sense not to allow the oil to touch the bodywork.
Are you experts working in the retail trade trying to persuade you to buy one of their products at grossly inflated prices =D> :D

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » October 28, 2010, 3:17 pm

Naw, serious guitarists/luthiers all... Nary a "Music Store" expert...

I had a long conversation withe "Guitar Doctor" of the PI, once, about cleaners, lubricants, polishes, etc. His passionately held theory, was that the professional guitar maintenance products available today, were far superior to WD 40, 3 n 1 Oil, etc... Which, he maintained could damage finishes, wood, inlays, glues, bandings, etc... Made sense to me at the time...

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just sharing something I had heard from several reputable folks over the years...

letigger
udonmap.com

Post by letigger » October 29, 2010, 10:19 pm

Never use WD 40 ! On Vintage guitars especially where the Lacquer is sensitive.

To keep string in good order just run Fast Fret down them, does the job for me, I would also advise keeping any guitar out of direct sunlight, If you have a flight case (Not the hardboard one) ABX type, then keep it in that with some silica in a bag for moisture absorbance

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » October 30, 2010, 12:23 am

Thanks,will visit a guitar shop and get some oil then,I like to have a nose around see whats about Hav'nt got a flight case only have a normal hardboard one,will wrap it in lots of bubble wrap for the flight and hope its ok. Where do you buy the silica bags from ?

Jed
udonmap.com

Re: Guitar care

Post by Jed » October 30, 2010, 6:13 am

Where are the best music stores in town?

For guitars, banjos, strings, cornets, and whatnot?

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » October 30, 2010, 7:49 am

There are several...

The ones I use the most:

From the Clock Tower Roundabout, take the road to Nong Khai.

About 500 mtrs, on the right, you'll find a used equipment shop that has guitars, amps, n such... Last time I was by, he had a real nice older Epiphone Les Paul for 8k bht...

Immediately adjacent, is a large new and used equipment shop that has a wide variety of instruments and equipment...

Place is owned by a short Chinese Thai lady... Make eyes at and sweet talk her n u can get 10 - 15% off new stuff, and, sometimes much more off the used stuff...

A shop or two further down, is a speaker/amp/electronics kinda place.

Jed
udonmap.com

Post by Jed » October 30, 2010, 8:25 am

Much obliged, LilRed - you don't look so lil!

Will mosey on over, check em out.

Make eyes & such, too!

Good tip.

Return to “Open Forum”