Sympathetic Vet

Services for your special animal can be discussed in this topic: grooming, walking, selling, storing, and suchlike.
Galee
udonmap.com

Sympathetic Vet

Post by Galee » April 6, 2017, 8:29 am

Just over a week ago I was passing through the village near Wat Baan Tat when I saw a small cat being savaged by a pack of dogs. Trying to ignore what I saw I drove on but my conscience got the better of me and I went back. The dogs had gone but the kitten was in a very bad way. Blood coming out of it's mouth and gaping holes in it's stomach.
I couldn't leave the cat there to die so knowing I was going past the vets near the airport I took it there for them to do the right thing. I wont bore you with the details but they were less than helpful.
My wife and I took it to the vets we use. They were more sympathetic, put it on a drip to administer pain killers and said they would care for it to see if it recovers and gets better. This is where my opinions conflict with Thai traditions and beliefs, which I respect, but don't agree with.
The cat didn't die, but it's far from being better. It has a broken back, has loss use of its rear legs and has no control of it's toilet movements.
The cat is back with us but requires almost 24 hour care. Obviously it cannot move and unless checked frequently lies in it's pee and poo. Keeping it clean is not a pleasant job.
Does anyone know of a sympathetic vet and do the humane thing and put this poor creature out of it's misery?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Sympathetic Vet

Post by Khun Paul » April 6, 2017, 8:43 am

Well in the last 18 months I have lost two large dogs due to probems having been bitten by a tick, a common occurrence one might say but so often the WVETS offer palliative care nothing substantial and they quote being Buddhist wwe are do not put animals to sleep.
Vets are there to administer care to animals nad God aka Buddha is there to administer spiritual needs to the VETS, for the Vets to deny assistance to animals in including failing to put them to sleep when the outcome is known is in my mind a failure here of Veterinary care, bundled up in religious stupidity.
Human beings here even if they have a do not assist clause get ignored so it is no surprise that for animals they do far less.
having said that I wasinfrmed that the Animal hospitals will put animals top sleep when required cost not known but if that helps , so be it .

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » April 6, 2017, 10:12 am

I think it would be kinder just to pay your vet to put it down,the sooner the better by the sound of it,or is the cost phrohibitive to you?
I have a Brahminy Kite,again attacked twice by a pack of dogs,had him six months now but one of his wings is not right
so cannot fly at the moment.,but i'm hopeful.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 6, 2017, 11:39 am

TicToc wrote:I think it would be kinder just to pay your vet to put it down,the sooner the better by the sound of it,or is the cost phrohibitive to you?
Our vet not keen to put the animal down. Cost not a problem.

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » April 6, 2017, 12:52 pm

I know it sounds very primitive and harsh but if you can do it outof site of family a very firm hard knock on the back of the head would be instatanious . The sooner the better by the sound of it. Instant no more sufferig.

Sorry to suggest but only humane thing remaining

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 6, 2017, 1:04 pm

Gallee - well done

Sadly not the outcome desired

Sounds like the cat is paraplegic, so loss of bowel and bladder functions .

Jackson is correct , as a humane effort is needed.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 6, 2017, 2:02 pm

I couldn't put a animal down with a knock, But have put them down with a plastic bag fill with exhaust fumes from a lawn mower, then put bag over head, they just slowly pass out no pain. worst I every had to do was when I hit roo out side of Alice Springs, stop to look at damage to vehicle and move animal off road, still kicking but dying, had to clobber it over the head with a BIG stick, made me cry, but I did get to save the joey, had him for a few days , then gave him to a carer in Alice
Attachments
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Master Builder

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 6, 2017, 2:09 pm

I think this is something anyone considering having a pet here should consider, if it is injured or seriously ill it is difficult to find any vet to humanely euthanize it, at best the Thais prefer to dump it in a temple somewhere to live out it's days in pain and agony, scavenging around waste bins for it's food until it can no more .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 9, 2017, 7:21 am

I didn't know this and it's bit of a worry. I really love my dog dearly, I bought her here from the UK but my decision might have been a bit different if I'd known this. Please God it doesn't become necessary for a good while yet but if anyone does find a vet that will do the right thing at the right time it would be much appreciated if that information was shared.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 9, 2017, 10:54 am

On a similar vein. what happened to that doggie a few of the members took on board to make it a set of wheels a while back" Is it still around?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 9, 2017, 11:14 am

vincemunday wrote:I didn't know this and it's bit of a worry. I really love my dog dearly, I bought her here from the UK but my decision might have been a bit different if I'd known this. Please God it doesn't become necessary for a good while yet but if anyone does find a vet that will do the right thing at the right time it would be much appreciated if that information was shared.
The vet across from Big C, Nadee, has euthanized animals. Another by Ban Hui market also. But their criteria for doing so is more severe than what's generally available in the US.
The Ban Hui area vet charged 2000 baht......you dispose of the body. Gave the dog a sedative first to put it to sleep, then another shot to stop the heart. I'm not sure about the charge at Big C vet.

Dazzer
udonmap.com

Post by Dazzer » April 9, 2017, 3:00 pm

Nothing but praise for the vet opposite big c, just had a very sick Rottie pup, diagnosed parvovirus straight away, on IV meds and hospitalised for 6 days. He is now home and terrorising the rest of the family, looking at UK vets prices for this condition I thought I would be taking out a second mortgage but no.... the bill was 4000thb all in "fantastic staff "
Was going to ask the question about their policy on euthanasia, but this has been answered for me.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » April 10, 2017, 3:40 am

The vet across from Big C, Nadee, has euthanized animals. We had our dog euthanized there and cost was 1000 baht.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 10, 2017, 5:56 am

Pardon me for my ignorance, but which Big C and can someone please write the name and tel number of this Vet, with 4 dogs left out of 6 and the two bug ones died at home not in pain but not a nice thing to have. it is important to me to find a vet that is sympathetic in situations where long term medication will NOT improve the Dogs life at all.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » April 10, 2017, 8:03 am

Whilst working in Northern Territory Australia. Travelling with an Aussie pal, he was driving and as many know, Kangaroos are fond of hopping towards the headlights of a vehicle. having hit the Roo pal jumped out as did I, he realised the Roo was dead and felt in the pouch and found the Joey. He took the Joey out and lay it on the tarmac then stamped on the Joey's neck, "wouldn't survive without its mother" was his only comment. Pretty sure I couldn't have carried out such a callous act. Then again what would a pom know!!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 10, 2017, 9:08 am

goodison wrote:Whilst working in Northern Territory Australia. Travelling with an Aussie pal, he was driving and as many know, Kangaroos are fond of hopping towards the headlights of a vehicle. having hit the Roo pal jumped out as did I, he realised the Roo was dead and felt in the pouch and found the Joey. He took the Joey out and lay it on the tarmac then stamped on the Joey's neck, "wouldn't survive without its mother" was his only comment. Pretty sure I couldn't have carried out such a callous act. Then again what would a pom know!!!
Instant death vs dehydration and having crows and eagles pick the eyes out of the joey whilst alive.

Sounds horrible. Agree but humane.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » April 10, 2017, 1:36 pm

Directly across the road from the old Carefour which is now the little Big C. There is a row of small shops and they are toward the middle. Usually has a poster out front with dog and cat. Two vets that I know of, he/she and both seem knowledgeable and speak some english. My dashie was 17 years old and her back finally went out and she (vet) didn't hesitate to put her down. Did an ultrasound as well and total cost was 1,000 baht.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 3, 2017, 7:59 pm

Always a pleasure to visit the AEC vet across from Big C, Nadee. Very clean, very professional, very modern, service with a smile, and fair prices. We brought our dog today for a cleaning, hair trim, vaccine check.
Closed on Wednesdays and busy on weekends.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 4, 2017, 8:42 am

Update on my OP.
The cat hasn't been put to sleep and is living at home with us. Looking after him is hard work. I've flatly refused to get involved in the pamper changing but my wife is an excellent nurse and looks after him very well. We try to keep the pampers off him as much as possible and let him explore the garden as much as possible. Unfortunately, having no feeling in his hind quarters he is prone to sores on his rear end where he drags himself along. We have to make sure he's not burning his privates when sitting on a hot paving slab.
He's nearly doubled in size and seems happy. He plays a lot, purrs when stroked and even climbs up the odd tree. He can move quickly when he wants to. He thinks he's normal but you can see he's sometimes a bit confused when he sees our other cat jump up on top of the wardrobe.
Is it right to keep a cat alive in these circumstances?. The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned. You don't euthanize paraplegic humans. You give them the best quality of life you can. Maybe the Thai way is the correct way?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 19, 2017, 1:39 pm

Andrew Biggs on the subject:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/s ... ust-suffer

My advice to owners of pets who are getting on in years: Do your homework before the time comes to put down your pet (if you choose to do so). Not all vets are the same.

Return to “Pet Services”