New insurance requirements or...?

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
tamada
udonmap.com

New insurance requirements or...?

Post by tamada » June 9, 2022, 11:45 am

From the linked article.

"The Thai government has announced that, with effect from 1 September 2022, yearly retirement visas (minimum age 50), issued by embassies abroad, will require US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance, but with a separate facility for self-insurance. These rules will also apply for the annual extension of stay. However, there will still be loopholes as retirees can apply for other visas, such as the Elite card or some 12 month extensions granted by immigration offices, which don’t require ongoing insurance."

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/britis ... lls-400795

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: New insurance requirements or...?

Post by DuiDui49 » June 9, 2022, 11:59 am

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2022, 11:45 am
From the linked article.

"The Thai government has announced that, with effect from 1 September 2022, yearly retirement visas (minimum age 50), issued by embassies abroad, will require US$3 million comprehensive medical insurance, but with a separate facility for self-insurance. These rules will also apply for the annual extension of stay. However, there will still be loopholes as retirees can apply for other visas, such as the Elite card or some 12 month extensions granted by immigration offices, which don’t require ongoing insurance."

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/britis ... lls-400795
If this is true,well then i guess many of us have to move...Me personally i move to a European country were my EU status (Swedish citizen)help me to have same(equal)medical treatment as i would have had in Sweden.
But time will tell..but it is good to have a plan B.

Thanks Tam for the link....//Alfie..:-)

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 9, 2022, 1:47 pm

Ok if this new insurance requirement becomes reality, is there any way ( legal of course ) to beat this September 01 deadline ? I recall reading a few months ago that now the Immigration Department would allow anyone to renew their visa or extension 2months prior to the expiry date. My one year retirement renewal is due October 12, in the past years I would go in on September 12th. But if we are given 2 months then i go to Immigration before September 01 thus avoiding the Insurance requirement.
Does Anyone remember reading about this 2 month policy ?
Stay safe.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2022, 2:16 pm

If true Ms Dodgy Visa "Udon" is going to do a roaring trade, in the mean time it's hearsay until officially gazetted by the Immigration Department. HTF is an 80yo retiree going to get USD$3 Mill full cover health insurance????
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 9, 2022, 2:23 pm

I don't have the full details but a retired friend who is in his late 60's was telling me he has found an insurance cover with the required value, however to greatly reduce the premium the insurer offers a massive deductible. I.e the first 1million baht is a deductible but the total cover is still 3 million.
Again apologies I don't have the details but he was talking about a low premium of approx 10k baht per year.

I would assume the Gov. already realized people over 70 will struggle to even take out insurance, and so expect some of the local insurance companies to be coming up with some 'clever' schemes that allow everyone to take out insurance for a relatively low price.

Good luck

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 2:39 pm

I somehow think you may be Assuming far too much there Dean ........ TIT

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 9, 2022, 2:46 pm

I wouldn't get too worked up about a short article like this......wait for the government to make an official announcement.....not the ??pattayamail??
In other news
The 300-baht tourism fee faces a delay, beginning in the fourth quarter at the earliest

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2022, 3:12 pm

In other "other news" the PM ripped his facemask off and asked those present "Are you ready?"

Perhaps a sign for 1st July ??

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 3:16 pm

Just get your retirement visa in Thailand, then there is no insurance requirement.

If it does become one, then I guess those kickbacks to immigration from Visa Agents will come to an end. You can't fake insurance???

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2022, 3:27 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 9, 2022, 3:12 pm
In other "other news" the PM ripped his facemask off and asked those present "Are you ready?"

Perhaps a sign for 1st July ??
The new Bangkok Governor has pre-empted the PM on face masks, hence this attention-grab.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2022, 3:35 pm

From what I have read, the current requirements for health insurance that is being required for O-A visas at some embassies and consulates is likely to be applied to O visa applications at ALL embassies and consulates.

Until it becomes law and is published in the Royal Gazette, it's speculative. However, when they introduced the insurance need for O-A visas in 2021, it simply confirmed the rumors that had been circulating since Covid made government health authorities of many countries pay more attention to the costs of healthcare.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2022, 3:46 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 9, 2022, 3:16 pm
......... You can't fake insurance???
Ms Dodgy Visa can fake 800K Baht in the bank for the required quarantine period so why not insurance?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 4:44 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 9, 2022, 3:46 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
Ms Dodgy Visa can fake 800K Baht in the bank for the required quarantine period so why not insurance?
What happens if someone has to be hospitalized, and has fake insurance???? VISA agents would be out of business, and bribes would dry up. Visa agents only exist here because immigration officers can be bribed with ease.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 9, 2022, 4:58 pm

Short term solutions is get married

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2022, 5:29 pm

noosard wrote:
June 9, 2022, 4:58 pm
The speculation also suggests that not only will any O visa applications made overseas require proof of substantial health insurance (like the O-A) but this will also applied to the annual extensions, be it retired or married, being filed inside the country. The sooner one secures a viable, sustainable insurance or source of self-insuring, the better.

I'm glad I am married. If I was single and the wheels came off, if my popularity on UM is any measure, I doubt I could count on anyone to set up crowdfunding for me. Even a whip round at UFES would be too much to expect.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 9, 2022, 5:54 pm

deankham wrote:
June 9, 2022, 2:23 pm
I don't have the full details but a retired friend who is in his late 60's was telling me he has found an insurance cover with the required value, however to greatly reduce the premium the insurer offers a massive deductible. I.e the first 1million baht is a deductible but the total cover is still 3 million.
Again apologies I don't have the details but he was talking about a low premium of approx 10k baht per year.

I would assume the Gov. already realized people over 70 will struggle to even take out insurance, and so expect some of the local insurance companies to be coming up with some 'clever' schemes that allow everyone to take out insurance for a relatively low price.

Good luck
Your friend was talking Baht, but the article specified U.S. dollars which I think might be wrong. $3 million would be close to 100 million baht. You could buy a hospital for that.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 9, 2022, 6:30 pm

noosard wrote:
June 9, 2022, 4:58 pm
I did that 4 times! Cost me an arm and a leg! :roll:

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 6:42 pm

Again if they made health insurance mandatory it would weed out a great many people who live here. If you can afford to maintain legit health insurance for yourself here, you probably also have the finances needed to live here and would not need a Visa Agent. This would drastically reduce the need for Agents and hence greatly reduce the under the counter cash for immigration officials. So I don't see any changes coming anytime soon :D

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2022, 7:27 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 9, 2022, 4:44 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
What happens if someone has to be hospitalized, and has fake insurance???? VISA agents would be out of business, and bribes would dry up. Visa agents only exist here because immigration officers can be bribed with ease.
The insurance is of no conciquense. The Farang has made his bed BUT has his visa which is the primary concern for him/her.
What we do with our health is our business, not the Effin Junta.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 9, 2022, 8:03 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 9, 2022, 7:27 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
June 9, 2022, 4:44 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:
The insurance is of no conciquense. The Farang has made his bed BUT has his visa which is the primary concern for him/her.
What we do with our health is our business, not the Effin Junta.
If we have the money to pay for it, otherwise of course its the Juntas business???

Return to “Insurance”