New insurance requirements or...?

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
noosard
udonmap.com

Re: New insurance requirements or...?

Post by noosard » June 9, 2022, 8:42 pm

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2022, 5:29 pm
noosard wrote:
June 9, 2022, 4:58 pm
Short term solutions is get married
The speculation also suggests that not only will any O visa applications made overseas require proof of substantial health insurance (like the O-A) but this will also applied to the annual extensions, be it retired or married, being filed inside the country. The sooner one secures a viable, sustainable insurance or source of self-insuring, the better.

I'm glad I am married. If I was single and the wheels came off, if my popularity on UM is any measure, I doubt I could count on anyone to set up crowdfunding for me. Even a whip round at UFES would be too much to expect.
Nothing like bouts of speculations

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2022, 8:47 pm

noosard wrote:
June 9, 2022, 8:42 pm

Nothing like bouts of speculations
Us poor downtrodden farangs (and numerous Forum threads) seem to thrive on it. :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 18, 2022, 12:03 am

Well Thai pass and insurance not required from 1 July.
Good news for all of your coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 18, 2022, 10:23 am

Proponents of mandatory insurance are obviously young people. People much over the age of 60 either cannot get health insurance or are priced out of the market. Not to mention the many things that are excluded and not covered. Cash is individual and if you do not have a decent nest egg to cover unexpected health problems, you cannot afford to live here. If you have had a heart attack, stroke or many other preexisting issues, your health insurance, even if you have a policy, is useless.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 18, 2022, 10:56 am

glalt wrote:
June 18, 2022, 10:23 am
Proponents of mandatory insurance are obviously young people. People much over the age of 60 either cannot get health insurance or are priced out of the market. Not to mention the many things that are excluded and not covered. Cash is individual and if you do not have a decent nest egg to cover unexpected health problems, you cannot afford to live here. If you have had a heart attack, stroke or many other preexisting issues, your health insurance, even if you have a policy, is useless.
I would suggest younger people? Young people think they are bullet proof and invincible. Health insurance is a pretty dynamic market and one should still make an effort to seek out a solution that may fit your challenging needs. I was pleasantly surprised when I gave my health insurance a serious overhaul last year.

DM mentioned at UFES that he recently obtained a decent health insurance policy for somewhere around 45k baht a year. I think he said it was his first and maybe getting it was triggered by his recent gallbladder issues and the fact that he's well into 'black birthday balloon' territory, ie. not young any more but not too old either.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 18, 2022, 11:42 am

My former employer gave health insurance as part of my compensation package. In the 24 years I worked at that company, I used the insurance only once for an injury incurred while offshore.

I went insurance shopping in 2016 and found Bupha Thailand (now Aetna Thailand) had a policy stating they will not terminate coverage if I subscribed before the age of 60. There was no medical check just a one page questionnaire to begin coverage.

I have used the coverage on three occasions: one emergency room treatment including ambulance to Bangkok Hospital Udon, skin cancer surgery at Bumrungrad in BKK and an elective back surgery to relieve sciatica pain. All were fully covered and the later even had an upgraded suite room for my 4 night stay in Bangkok Hospital.

I am very happy with Aetna insurance albeit a bit spendy but the point here is uninsured fellas in their 50's may want to establish a policy before that 60th birthday. I don't much care for being told to get insurance, but I chose to get it before it became mandatory so I am happy enough with it.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 18, 2022, 12:09 pm

Another good idea is getting your health checked out beforehand. Plenty hospitals are offering wellness packages to fit any budget. Get a couple of those so you can spot trends before you get into panic mode when your insurer has a cow over something you omitted to tell them or you didn't know about it. Hypertension and things exacerbated by it like diabetes seem to be a fact of life for the over 50's so get a handle on it early.

Case in point, my new insurer asked me to complete a multi-page check list declaration in lieu of a medical exam. Happily enrolled. In lieu of a sign-on medical, most insurers prefer a 10-year, verifiable medical history. On my first claim, they spotted a single incidence of hypertension at one of my offshore medicals from over six years ago; that's one out of five. I had totally missed it as I infrequently had 'white coat syndrome' spikes and the doctor at Bumrungrad discounted it as one of those. However, it was in my medical record. No panic. My coverage wasn't canceled or denied. They simply requested a 10,000 baht overage to my premium that I paid by PromptPay and everyone was happy.

Over the past year, I noticed that my blood pressure was more frequently in the stage 1 hypertension levels above 140/90 and not just spiking. So I upped the exercise, modified my diet and now take medication which got it back under control within 4 months.

Be proactive.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Insurance”