returning from the UK insurance requirement

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
probityguy

returning from the UK insurance requirement

Post by probityguy » February 9, 2021, 11:21 am

I am 75 and would like to return to the Uk to see my family.
Searching the internet I cannot an insurance company that will sell me health insurance.
Am I barred from returning due to my age?
I have a Non immigrant retirement visa.
Any assistance would be very welcome

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: returning from the UK insurance requirement

Post by jackspratt » February 9, 2021, 1:11 pm

I have recently returned to Thailand from Oz, and got my compulsory COVID insurance from here:

https://www.tipinsure.com/TipCovidRegional/step_1

Age was not an issue in the application process.

However, you must also qualify to enter under one of the exemption categories, found here:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/coe-thailand

A separate issue is general health insurance for OA visa holders which is based on retirement, rather than marriage.

For my last extension at Udon Immigartion, I changed to the latter, and my Re-entry Permit was issued on that basis.

That meant that when I applied to the Embassy in Canberra for my Certificate of Entry (required under the COVID rules), the subject of general insurance was not raised. Neither was it an issue at Immigration when I got back to Thailand.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 9, 2021, 2:00 pm

^ Unfortunately Retirement Extension holders are still not on the CoE application for Thai re-entry list. Only applicants for new O/O-A visas.

Good point to keep in mind when doing an extension renewal and one has the choices.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 9, 2021, 2:29 pm

probityguy
Your question is confusing
The title says "Returning from the UK" Whereas you intial statement says "I am 75 and would like to return to the UK to see my family"

One says going to the UK while the other says from the UK

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 9, 2021, 2:41 pm

Interpretation!!
Doesn't an extension to a Non "O" visa keep it alive? Call it Marriage or Retirement

Item 11 in the list says:-
> Holders of Non-Immigrant O retirement visa

The way I read it the retirement extension is covered as they they also mention the re-entry permit in later text

Item 7 Says:-
> Holders of Non-Immigrant visa Category OA/OX

OA is the Retirement visa issued from your home embassy
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 9, 2021, 4:22 pm

@ubonjoe (ThaiVisa) has confirmed the retirement extension is covered by Item 11 - BUT - there are interpretation differences at various embassies and consulates - what a surprise!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1205373-coe

EDIT: Sorry guys but it's just occurred to me that the op was English but you get my drift.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 9, 2021, 8:41 pm

I'm not from the UK and I'm not 75, so read further only if you please:
We came to the US last Feb on a 3 month vacation (we thought). Multiple attempts to return were deterred by an unexpected delay in recovery from minor surgery and a positive covid test just days before our scheduled flight back (minor symptoms), and a variety of rule changes that made the processing either easier or more difficult, depending on your circumstances. Back in August when I tried to return on my existing retirement extension and reentry visa, I was told that was no longer good and I had to obtain a new 90 day visa. That may be different today......but there's only one sure way to know: email the Thai Embassy in your country and ask.
No matter what the rules are today......in 30 days or 180, those rules may change. Given what's happened over the past year, I wouldn't count on leaving Thailand today and returning at your choosing anytime in the future........you might and you might not be able to return. I'd advise anyone considering leaving Thailand to consider not being able to return because of some new hiccup in the Covid situation.....in Thailand, in your home country, elsewhere. As a minimum, have a plan B in your hip pocket in case your expected vacation becomes more of a staycation. At least for the foreseeable future, the idea of traveling to another country and returning when you please is a gamble.
Good luck with your travel plans.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2021, 6:50 am

If it helps anyone then good, I just returned to Thailand on my retirement Visa bought my covid insurance from the Thai government website at a fixed price of 14700 approx no issues with getting Coe or anything else for that matter easy as ABC, follow the rules and the advise given and nothing to worry about

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 10, 2021, 9:48 am

parrot wrote:
February 9, 2021, 8:41 pm

No matter what the rules are today......in 30 days or 180, those rules may change. Given what's happened over the past year, I wouldn't count on leaving Thailand today and returning at your choosing anytime in the future........you might and you might not be able to return. I'd advise anyone considering leaving Thailand to consider not being able to return because of some new hiccup in the Covid situation.....in Thailand, in your home country, elsewhere.
I agree with that sentiment, John.

In my own case, about an hour before I was due to leave for the airport to start my journey back to Thailand, the Premier of the state announced a full lock-down in Perth, due to a newly discovered COVID case in the community - the first for many months.

While it obviously did not stop me from jumping on the plane, the possible ramifications at the time were quite concerning. Even the Border Force guys at the airport said they were not sure how it would play out.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 4:05 pm

dunroaming wrote:
February 10, 2021, 6:50 am
If it helps anyone then good, I just returned to Thailand on my retirement Visa bought my covid insurance from the Thai government website at a fixed price of 14700 approx no issues with getting Coe or anything else for that matter easy as ABC, follow the rules and the advise given and nothing to worry about
Just for absolute crystal clarity, was that

A new Retirement visa (O or O-A) issued by an overseas Thai embassy ?

OR

A pre-existing Retirement Extension issued by Immigration in Thailand with a Re-entry permit ?

I'm assuming that this was repatriation from your work in Kazakhstan unless you returned via another country?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 4:19 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 9, 2021, 2:41 pm
Interpretation!!
Doesn't an extension to a Non "O" visa keep it alive? Call it Marriage or Retirement

Item 11 in the list says:-
> Holders of Non-Immigrant O retirement visa

The way I read it the retirement extension is covered as they they also mention the re-entry permit in later text

Item 7 Says:-
> Holders of Non-Immigrant visa Category OA/OX

OA is the Retirement visa issued from your home embassy
I can see the merits of the argument except a visa isn't ever kept alive. The visa is dead the day it's used to enter Thailand. Unless it's a (rare) multi-entry visa, the immigration officer stamps the visa 'USED' at first point of entry but the holder retains their entitlement to the 30-day, 60-day or 90-day stay. It 'dies' when it's converted into the 1-year extension of choice and it's the extension that keeps your right to stay long-term in Thailand 'alive' long after the visa has served its purpose.

RIP visa.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 10, 2021, 5:30 pm

Have a look on the 1st visa page in your passport (if renewed while on extensions).
The stamp contains details of your original non "O" visa and details pertaining to the current extension as a part of recording your status from old passport to new.
Might be useless but not dead??
Not sure where your coming from saying "rare" multiple entry non "x" visas, used em for years when working here, could drag em out for 15 months if you had your timing right. It was with the last one of these I started my extensions in 2011

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2021, 5:32 pm

tamada wrote:
February 10, 2021, 4:05 pm
dunroaming wrote:
February 10, 2021, 6:50 am
Just for absolute crystal clarity, was that

A new Retirement visa (O or O-A) issued by an overseas Thai embassy ?

OR

A pre-existing Retirement Extension issued by Immigration in Thailand with a Re-entry permit ?

I'm assuming that this was repatriation from your work in Kazakhstan unless you returned via another country?

A pre-existing Retirement Extension issued by Immigration in Thailand with a Re-entry permit, my travel route was kaz to Turkey then Bangkok COE was from Thai Kaz embassy in Astana, my covid insurance is with Bangkok Bank

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 6:16 pm

^ Thanks for that dr, that's reassuring for those stuck on the outside wanting in or, like me, stuck on the inside but working on the escape tunnel.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2021, 11:42 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2021, 6:08 am

parrot wrote:
February 10, 2021, 11:42 pm
As the world churns: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/uk-v ... index.html
Incredibly good sense IMHO. Those Brits with a wanderlust can all stay home for the summer and support all the pubs and gyms that they insisted were far more important for health and well being than wearing a bloody mask.

The Tory wankfest should get right on this by withdrawing or suspending any and all compensation methods for disrupted holiday plans. This so that the poor, inconvenienced, Magaluf pisshead doesn't get any taxpayers money for being an arrogant twunt. If you still want to go on holiday, you accept ALL the risks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2021, 6:35 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 10, 2021, 5:30 pm
Have a look on the 1st visa page in your passport (if renewed while on extensions).
The stamp contains details of your original non "O" visa and details pertaining to the current extension as a part of recording your status from old passport to new.
Might be useless but not dead??
Not sure where your coming from saying "rare" multiple entry non "x" visas, used em for years when working here, could drag em out for 15 months if you had your timing right. It was with the last one of these I started my extensions in 2011
Only if your annual extensions have been grandfathered and subsequently unchanged under that first Non-O. My first extension was also issued against a Non-O in 2010 but switched from Marriage to Retirement around 5 years ago.

In my current, Covid-stressed immigration situation, my recently issued 1-year extension does NOT match the reason stated on the all-enabling 90-day Non-O that preceded it. That Udon-issued visa is defo dead BTW, it had big red "USED" stamped on it before they gave me back my passport last November.

My comment on multi-entry visas being increasingly rare is borne out by the inexorable and undeniable squeeze on Thai multi-entry visas. The multi-entry TR was replaced by the SETV while the Thai Embassy willing and able to issue the illusive (double entry) METV being scarcer than hen's teeth.

The 1-year multi-entry Non-O was next to go with most Thai embassies only issuing a single-entry and those seeking to come and go all year told to get that "normalised" through Immigration-issued extension and re-entry permit in-country. Pre-Covid the rare 1-year multi was only available regionally in Vientiane, Savanakhet, Saigon and Hanoi.

Return to “Insurance”