Warning : Non OA converted to Non O based on retirement

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Warning : Non OA converted to Non O based on retirement

Post by kopkei » October 21, 2019, 3:15 pm

the way i see it , non OA converted to non O based on retirement does not exist ....
what exist are extensions of temporary stay in the kingdom of the existing visa ,based on fe retirement...
now if this originally was an OA visa that was extended later , you will need health insurance according to the new rules
if it was an O visa you will not need health insurance , so i think AA office is not far away from the truth ...
i hope for the sake of semper and others i am wrong ....time will tell... ;)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 21, 2019, 3:22 pm

I'm sure we'll see reports on people who fall into this category doing their extensions over the next month or two. For me, I always do my extension a month early to ensure that if any off the wall stuff pops up I've got time to work it out..
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 21, 2019, 6:27 pm

I have always been perplexed that Immigration would require only 400,000 for an extension based on Marriage and 800,000 for an extension based on retirement. Makes no sense to me. Now what makes sense is if you consider that the 800,000 for retirement would be divided into 400,000 for income and 400,000 in the bank for health emergencies. As of now if one is using 800,000 in a deposit account, that amount has to be seasoned for 2 months prior to applying for the extension and has to remain in the account for three months after the extension is granted. Then the deposit account can be drawn down to 400,000, but the 400,000 must be left in the account for the remainder of the year. It would seem to me then that Immigration already has in place a workable plan that would ensure adequate resources to fund both a retired person's month-to-month living expenses as well as a health saving's account all-in-one. Is it just coincidental then that immigration is now requiring 400,000 in-patient care insurance for new Non-Imm O-A applicants and possibly for those applying for retirement extensions? Seems pretty ridiculous to me when the 800,000 already has all our bases covered. Does anyone else see my point? Maybe this was the original intent for the 800,000 all along, but those who work in immigration now just don't get it. The way the insurance companies are pushing policies now, one has to believe that they have been lobbying with Thai Immigration to make big money off us expats and the big boys at immigration are getting their share under the table. That's the way things work in Thailand! There has to be plenty of profit available in these new policies to go around to everyone that gets a kickback. How else does one explain paying an annual premium that equals 20-25% of the total policy. That's absolutely an abomination!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 21, 2019, 8:15 pm

Semper, the only reason I see for the 400,000 health insurance requirement is for those that use the monthly income for extension of stay. Other then that I agree with you.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2019, 11:13 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:
October 21, 2019, 1:23 pm
Yes am talking about customer experiences in Hua Hin only and the problems it is causing and no, the customers are not confused, our staff have talked to the IO direct
Thanks for the clarification
AA Ins Broker wrote: The answer to your question is yes, if you first entered Thailand on an OA Visa and then at a later date changed to an O based on retirement, you may well be asked to show proof of insurance on the next renewal
The section above was the cause of the confusion as it can not happen. I assumed that it was what was reported to you.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 21, 2019, 11:49 pm

kopkei wrote:
October 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
the way i see it , non OA converted to non O based on retirement does not exist ....
Correct
kopkei wrote:
October 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
what exist are extensions of temporary stay in the kingdom of the existing visa ,based on fe retirement...
now if this originally was an OA visa that was extended later , you will need health insurance according to the new rules
The rule applies to issuing of visas, it isn’t clear about extensions of stay. AFIK there has been no new police order.

At the moment the only report of insurance required on renewal is from Hua Hin.

This could of course change, if it does then it would be bizarre to limit it to extensions from an OA, but then This Is Thailand and the bizarre is common :lol:

Edit. Oct 22 Due to the new information I’ve just received there is a new police order information lower down
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 22, 2019, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Post by Tom & Jee » October 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Friend from u.s. went yesterday to udon immigration to renew his oa visa that expires after 28 days . He was asked for statement from the Thai bank for his deposits and statement from his American bank for the transfers. Also they told him that he needs insurance . He show them his medicare....Tricare...but they told him no...it has to be Thai insurance.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 22, 2019, 7:11 am

Tom & Jee wrote:
October 22, 2019, 6:32 am
Friend from u.s. went yesterday to udon immigration to renew his oa visa that expires after 28 days . He was asked for statement from the Thai bank for his deposits and statement from his American bank for the transfers. Also they told him that he needs insurance . He show them his medicare....Tricare...but they told him no...it has to be Thai insurance.
Thank you for the report. It is very helpful.

However just a correction of terms, it’s the permission to stay that is extended the OA visa has expired.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 22, 2019, 7:21 am

My friend in Pattaya says that Jomtien Immigration says insurance only for new OA visas after October. Not for retirement visas.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 22, 2019, 7:44 am

stww did you read this well? download/file.php?id=51797
page 8,criteria for consideration of granting an alien's extension of stay in the kingdom , paragraph 6....
and page 11, read all ....
and semper i am sure many of us understand your frustrations , but TIT ,land of no logic , and keep whining about this isn't going to solve anything , better focusing on what to do if you happen to be in this situation...
maybe a solution is applying for a non immigrant O in one of the neighboring countries? ,(beware with some embassies this is by appointment only ,and there could be a long waiting list , 1month-..?..),and extending later , or when possible switch to extension based on marriage ...good luck to all... ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 22, 2019, 10:44 am

kopkei wrote:
October 22, 2019, 7:44 am
stww did you read this well? download/file.php?id=51797
page 8,criteria for consideration of granting an alien's extension of stay in the kingdom , paragraph 6....
and page 11, read all ....
Sorry the link you have provided is a download & I had not seen that posted anywhere else.

It does rather change things. Thanks for giving that link, do you know the origin of the PDF? It isn’t a translation arranged in the way most others I have. It probably isn’t important but could be useful.

It makes clear that the best choice for most people who have had an OA that has been extended is to leave THAILAND without a reentry permit to the nearest or most convenient embassy/consulate then get a Non-O and extended that either on the basis of marriage (if married) or retirement if not.

As suggested by kopkei

Here are the sections from the police order
1F0D0B24-E863-4136-9F24-4552A691FC68.jpeg
renewal of permission to stay
FF39C24E-B88D-4808-9C85-12004229DADE.jpeg
New visa
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 22, 2019, 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 22, 2019, 10:55 am

the link was posted here on udonmap... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=50701

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 22, 2019, 11:06 am

kopkei wrote:
October 22, 2019, 10:55 am
the link was posted here on udonmap... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=50701
Thanks I missed that, due to circumstances which have now changed.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » October 22, 2019, 2:43 pm

Tom & Jee wrote:
That is not correct info from the IO - attached is the form for foreign policies
overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf
(130.81 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:
October 22, 2019, 2:43 pm
Tom & Jee wrote:
That is not correct info from the IO - attached is the form for foreign policies

According to the website referenced in the order the IO was correct. It is also in the order itself.
“longstay.tgia.org/home/guidelineoa” wrote: First year, all applicants can buy health insurance from insurance companies in their owned countries or authorized insurance company in Thailand. When the applicants want to renew the visa, the applicants must buy insurance from authorized insurance companies in Thailand only. Any inquiries on completing Insurance application can be addressed at each insurance company.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 23, 2019, 6:00 am

AA Ins Broker wrote:
October 22, 2019, 2:43 pm
Tom & Jee wrote:

Just to clarify Medicare and Tricare are not insurance. First Medicare can not be used outside U S., second Tricare only pays where the Hospital/Doctor agrees to accept their payment which, as far as I know, none accept in Thailand.

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Post by Tango Sierra » October 23, 2019, 11:34 am

Tricare For Life is accepted in Thailand at certain hospitals, Bangkok has 7 hospitals that accept it. Chiang Mai has one and Nonthaburi has 4 hospitals. The last I heard was that Bangkok Hospital Udon was again accepting TRICARE, they had stopped for awhile. https://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor is a good place to check info form overseas locations.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

I had forgotten my original visa type. Long time ago. Thought it was OA. Had to look in expired passport. It was an O. Very happy.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 23, 2019, 2:10 pm

Tango Sierra. clicking through that search site gave no results for Thailand. The JUSMAG Retiree Assistance Office quite clearly spells out that TRICARE is not accepted at any hospital in Thailand as an insurance. Retirees on Tricare for Life are mandated to pay cash up front and file for reimbursement through the Tricare Overseas vendor (WPS)..
The RAO Frequently Asked Questions even covers the current issues..
Tricare JUSMAG FAQs.pdf
(96.18 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Dave

Tango Sierra
udonmap.com

Post by Tango Sierra » October 23, 2019, 7:09 pm

Understand Imm. Office will not accept it as insurance, a few years back used it at Bangkok Hospital. I paid 25% and they sent the rest of the bill to Tricare.

Return to “Insurance”