Health Insurance for Expats in Thailand

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2018, 12:11 pm

Picked this up on Thaivisa, The Nation - I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Anyway, I had already started to look around at a number of Companies that offer reliable Health Insurance in the land of smiles and their Annual Premiums for cover in Thailand don't appear to be much different from that I would pay for Private Health Insurance Cover back in OZ. \:D/

Health Cover in Australia:
If in OZ, I might have the option of only having Medicare (the National Health Cover Scheme) and not have to take out extra Private Cover. But this Medicare too has limits, in a lot of cases only what is considered Emergency Surgery and in a Public Hospital and would still cost me 2% of my taxable income (around TB 100,000 PA) via the Medicare Levy system, so even Medicare is not free. [-X :-k

Private Health Cover indicative Costs in Australia just for relatively Basic Health Cover are as follows,
BUPA Entry Hospital with Basic Extras AUD 1503 PA or TB 34,600 PA
Medibank Everyday Essential AUD 1640 PA or TB 37,715 PA

Health Cover in Thailand:
Policies vary in their entitlement, extent of cover, are based on how old you are, what preconditions you might have (although most Companies exclude these) - I understand that. But from what I have seen and for my Age, I could get cover in Thailand from as low as TB 32,000 up to TB 181,435, with having a reasonable choice of reliable Companies to choose from between TB 65,000 PA - TB 90,000 :-k

In this range from TB 65,000 PA - TB 90,000 PA, the Insurance Companies generally offer,
Annual Limits of USD 1.0 Million plus
Worldwide Cover (excluding certain countries like USA & Singapore)
Private or Semi Private Rooms (varying Daily Limits)
Have Annual Deductibles from as low as USD 250 Per Year up to 1,000 Per Year
Emergency Evacuation
Direct Billing
Community Rated Renewal of Annual Premiums
Some offer "Lifetime Renewability", whilst others state "Upon Mutual Agreement ?"

I am not advertising/suggesting any at this stage, those I have looked at in this range TB 65,000 PA - TB 90,000 PA, which are predominantly Thai Based Companies are
Aetna (BUPA) Thailand
April My Health Thailand
Luma Asia Care Plus
AXA Optimum Thailand
Pacific Cross Thailand
Cigna Silver
David Shield

Other more expensive International Health Insurance Companies were
Allianz
William Russell
Now Health International

Extract: Mandatory Health Insurance for Expats in Thailand

Foreigners with one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) will have to compulsorily arrange health insurance, according to new proposals of a key committee. The criterion under the Immigration Act 1979 was approved by the Medical Hub Committee, Dr Kittisak Klapdee, adviser to the Minister of Public Health, said on Sunday.

Kittisak was assigned by Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn to join Tourism and Sport vice minister Ittipol Khunplome at the Medical Hub Committee’s second annual meeting, which approved in principle the amendment of the criteria for one-year long-stay visas.

Once it comes into effect, foreigners having the visa will be required to have Thai insurance policies covering their entire stay in Thailand with minimum Bt40,000 out-patient medical bill coverage and minimum Bt400,000 in-patient medical bill coverage.

Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. They will be able to apply for long-stay visas using their foreign insurance policies, he said.

Details and guidelines pertaining to the amendment were being jointly formulated by the Public Health Ministry, the Foreign Ministry, the Interior Ministry, the Immigration Bureau, the Office of Insurance Commission, the Thai General Insurance Association, and the Thai Life Assurance Association. At the next stage, it would be forwarded to the Cabinet for approval as a formal policy, he added.

The amended criterion is aimed at ensuring health protection for long-stay visa holders – mostly elderly foreigners – and also benefit the public and private hospitals in the country, he added.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... tay-visas/

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on December 24, 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Expats in Thailand

Post by Old Grumpy » December 24, 2018, 4:01 pm

This is already under discussion in the Health topic but I might ask what about those lucky expats married to a govt worker, teacher, ampho etc who are covered by their wife's employment ?
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2018, 4:52 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
December 24, 2018, 4:01 pm
This is already under discussion in the Health topic but I might ask what about those lucky expats married to a govt worker, teacher, ampho etc who are covered by their wife's employment ?

Yes I saw that Old Grumpy, but also thought it was appropriate to post under the Heading "Insurance", given that there are a number of other related posts on Medical & Health Insurance from Brokers and Members, along with some mention of specific Health Insurance Companies, already in this section of the Forum.

"Health and Beauty" looked more like a Doctor Surgery :roll:

Just my two cents worth

pipoz444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on December 24, 2018, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » December 24, 2018, 4:56 pm

Looking through your lists there are a few mistakes e.g. under your Thai list you have
Cigna Silver
David Shield
Which are most definitely the more expensive (full payment) International companies while you have also overlooked Thai Health under the ‘Thai’ section.
There are also many more International companies on offer which vary widely on price depending on one’s age

Most of the time we find the choice people make are due to budgetary constraints but given you age and pre-existing conditions we can offer a choice as to best available policies to suit you

Peter
[email protected]
www.aainsure.net

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2018, 5:12 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:
December 24, 2018, 4:56 pm
Looking through your lists there are a few mistakes e.g. under your Thai list you have
Cigna Silver
David Shield
Which are most definitely the more expensive (full payment) International companies while you have also overlooked Thai Health under the ‘Thai’ section.
There are also many more International companies on offer which vary widely on price depending on one’s age

Most of the time we find the choice people make are due to budgetary constraints but given you age and pre-existing conditions we can offer a choice as to best available policies to suit you

Peter
[email protected]
www.aainsure.net
Hi Peter

My Thai list was meant to say mainly/mostly Thai. Instead I said "Predominantly", when adding Cigna Silver and David Shield on at the end

As to whether Cigna Silver and David Shield are more expensive, that's relative to the the type of cover you get. Policies from AXA Optimum Thailand, Luma Asia Care Plus and even April My Health Thailand, can cost just as much in Premiums on the surface of it, depending on what level of cover you do for - although I admit, I haven't completed my apples to apples yet.

Getting there slowly

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on December 24, 2018, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for OA visa applications

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 24, 2018, 5:13 pm

The article specifically talks about the OA visa application which already has 2 requirements not applicable in Thailand so adding a 3rd would seem not a big jump.

So far there is nothing in the article that talks about expats currently in Thailand.

FWIW I don't have a visa now, and have never had a long-stay visa.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 24, 2018, 6:26 pm

"according to new proposals of a key committee"

FWIW: There's a world of difference between a 'proposal' and a deed done. Over the years, there have been a variety of proposals to require health insurance........and that day may be coming. But I wouldn't sound the alarm bells until the government actually approves the action.
Sort of like the high speed railroad and the 40 year proposal to build Suvarnaphumi Airport.

In the end, I'd hardly blame the government for requiring some sort of insurance for expats.........800k in bank could be a step in that direction.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Health Insurance for OA visa applications

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2018, 6:38 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 24, 2018, 5:13 pm
The article specifically talks about the OA visa application which already has 2 requirements not applicable in Thailand so adding a 3rd would seem not a big jump.

So far there is nothing in the article that talks about expats currently in Thailand.

Jerome

Yes my post highlighted the Article in the Nation, but it also went on to provide information related to the likely cost of Health Insurance within Thailand, as I had recently found out.

My post was also about identifying which Health Insurance Companies (Thai or International) may or may not provide, the best value for money and the cost range of that insurance for someone of my age (62), when it comes to purchasing a Policy, not so much as to debate whether one needs to purchase a Policy. So I don't see any duplication of posting.

Some might like to know what that likely cost range of Health Cover may be in Thailand and I believe the Insurance section is an appropriate section to post it. Buy the way, if there is anyone out there (in the 60-65 age bracket), who has recently purchased a Policy, with one of the better Thai Health Insurance Companies, I would appreciate a PM on it

pipoz444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on December 24, 2018, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for OA visa applications

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 24, 2018, 8:51 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
December 24, 2018, 6:38 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 24, 2018, 5:13 pm

Jerome

Yes my post highlighted the Article in the Nation, but it also went on to provide information related to the likely cost of Health Insurance within Thailand, as I had recently found out.

My post was also about identifying which Health Insurance Companies (Thai or International) may or may not provide, the best value for money and the cost range of that insurance for someone of my age (62), when it comes to purchasing a Policy, not so much as to debate whether one needs to purchase a Policy. So I don't see any duplication of posting.

Some might like to know what that likely cost range of Health Cover may be in Thailand and I believe the Insurance section is an appropriate section to post it. Buy the way, if there is anyone out there (in the 60-65 age bracket), who has recently purchased a Policy, with one of the better Thai Health Insurance Companies, I would appreciate a PM on it

pipoz444
The kind of discussion related to health care and insurance is certainly a good one to have, but in a thread stating in its name that it is mandatory, or will be, for residents is not a good place to have it. It deserves it's own completely separate thread.

That is precisely why I retitled my reply to make clear that the proposal is almost certainly not directed at current residents but at visa applicants

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 24, 2018, 8:57 pm

"Hows That"

:lol: :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Health Insurance for Expats in Thailand

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 25, 2018, 11:40 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
December 24, 2018, 8:57 pm
"Hows That"

:lol: :lol:
That works very well, but needs a new topic thread, as the main one is the most visible.

Return to “Insurance”