RooJai Car and Motorbike Insurance

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Re: RooJai Car and Motorbike Insurance

Post by Hoopoe » January 16, 2021, 5:56 am

Further more on this thread , having constantly being sent reminders to re-new from three months early ,now it's time to re-new ,
online fill out the request email ,then numbers sent to phone , clarification etc , the page comes up "session expired" you can see " myaccount in the background " tried a few times same result , The captcha is in Thai only , so it's a guess ,pretty easy really ,
So i then contacted them through their messaging part , explaining everything , they replied ,"we will send you an Email to renew online FFS , no Email after two days , so then wrote a separate Email , reply was the Roojai message box is full try again later ,
Seems they have a lot of problems , this is on re-newal , what would it be like trying to claim ,??
Time for me to go elsewhere , the warnings are there for me ,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 6:32 am

Yes, go elsewhere. And quickly. Please.

I will post my easy-least roojai renewal experience once it's done. In the meantime, their weekly email reminder (no sms, no calls, just a single email) is welcome as it makes me feel wanted.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 6:58 am

There are some here who find it odd to have the premium dependent on the drivers age and not the vehicles age.

What's more dangerous, a 82 year old driver that gets "tested" every 5 years or a 15 year old Fortuner that's been "tested" annually for the past 8 years ? Yes, it is the vehicle that's getting insured but the Fortuna sitting in the driveway isn't a risk. Now when pops gets behind the wheel and barges off to Tesco-Lotus for the weekly trawl and whine, then the risk is sharply elevated.

It's been years since I had U.K. car insurance but I understand that for youngsters these days, getting insurance for their Honda rollerskate requires a bank loan. When I drove in the U.S., the insurance company always wanted to know how old I was as well as the age of the my Dodge Ram or Callaway Sledgehammer being insured. Just because a Thai insurance company over 15 years ago (when car insurance here was even more juvenile) never asked your age then and don't care much about it now is the exception rather than the rule these days.

Compared with the two countries mentioned, car insurance in Thailand is a comparatively immature market with most Thai drivers seeing it as a necessary evil, ie. why pay for something that may never happen? Hence the concept of the deductible or excess is lost on them and they like to claim for every single scrape, ding and dent which they only see as getting their money's worth.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 16, 2021, 7:16 am

Yes I do find requesting a drivers age odd.
Most Insurance companies here insure the car, unlike in the UK, where the Driver is insured, and the car after you have told them what car and the premium is adjusted accordingly, lower CC, smaller less expensive car, less premium, PLUS drivers age /experience/claim status also a determining factor .
If they added the Cost of Porobor into the Car Insurance, instead of a seperate entity then two things will happen, either more cars will be insured or the other option, less cars will be insured, herre I fear it will be the latter. So although Porobor is mandatory at least you have a feeling that ALL vehicles on the Road taxed do have at least the Compulsory Third party Insurance .NO MATTER WHO IS Driving /Riding said mechanically propelled vehicle/motorcycle.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » January 16, 2021, 9:35 am

Of course when assessing insurance risk they should consider the drivers age.
It’s been like that for as long as I care to remember in the UK. I recall the magic age for young drivers as being 25 before premiums dropped as they were considered mature. I don’t know the upper age as I obviously haven’t reached anywhere near it yet but do know my Mums premiums went through the roof when she got to 70. She was paying more than her car was worth in annual premiums

An UM member spotted earlier today wondering what happened

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 16, 2021, 10:04 am

Yes it amazes that some who say they have no idea post.
But our Isuzu insurance renewed this week.
A simple phone call and all done. Money from wife’s credit card. Paperwork is being mailed out. Highlander is a 2013 model. Policy 8,700 bht.
I thought this was high so went online to their web page and my input of info came to 7,800 insuring for 485,000 bht. They rang back about the online quote next day. Wife asked why the diff. The car is at the moment actually insured for 600,000 bht on the current policy not 485,000. Hence higher cost. All good. Can’t explain why people have problems with online or phone call communication with them. The process of if you have an accident and repair is fully explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 16, 2021, 1:06 pm

Has anyone tried to have their vehicle re-evaluated for insurance purposes?

Mrs Dero's Honda City has just gone 4 years and 21,000 kms. No kids, not a scratch and does not go out in the rain (don't ask 5555). The insurance value has dropped from 650K Baht (paid 700K for it) to just under 400K over that time. I think the car is worth far more than that!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 16, 2021, 1:33 pm

^ Liberty Mutual (that I inherited from Ford as the freebie first class insurance carrier and rolled over for a 2nd year) wouldn't entertain increasing the total loss value on the 3rd year's renewal. Despite my being willing to pay a modest increase in the premium, LM insisted no insurer would do that so I asked AA brokers to see if it was true. AXA was the pick of three insurers who said they would so I switched to them. However, AA did say it was highly unlikely that companies would agree to this much beyond a 4 or 5 year-old vehicle regardless of low mileage or how well looked after it was. Note that this was over six years ago so absolutely not indicative of current practises. I do know that roojai's total loss quote was about 95,000 baht higher than LM and AXA on the renewal of my current vehicle's insurance when it was 1 year old. Just for info.

Trying to get a higher replacement value would be a good test of how good your long-time, no-claims, hassle-free renewal current, local insurance carrier is. If they don't entertain it, plug in the numbers on a no-obligation online quote from roojai and see if they will?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » January 20, 2021, 6:33 pm

Finally ,Roojai after first informing me that there's nothing wrong with the online re-newal system ,then asking me to change time zones on my computer , (which were already set at the zone they advised , ) i then explained if that was the problem why then do i get the same response when trying to re-new using my phone ,
so today they asked me to send photos of the problem .
so back to attempt the login , it crashes halfway through and goes back to home page
tried again , hey presto it works fine and very easy ,user friendly
They have now admitted there was a problem with the software ,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 20, 2021, 6:58 pm

^ I thought you'd gone elsewhere?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » January 21, 2021, 3:10 am

tamada wrote:
January 20, 2021, 6:58 pm
Tam ,
I'm a bit like a dog with a bone ,if there's something wrong i'll keep at it until it's resolved.
especially when there are people who claim it must be me that's the problem ,
then claim there's nothing wrong with the system as they've just done it , when in actual fact it was their wife's that did it , they did fck all , and it wasn't online

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 21, 2021, 4:38 am

Hoopoe wrote:
January 21, 2021, 3:10 am
tamada wrote:
January 20, 2021, 6:58 pm
Tam ,
I'm a bit like a dog with a bone ,if there's something wrong i'll keep at it until it's resolved.
especially when there are people who claim it must be me that's the problem ,
then claim there's nothing wrong with the system as they've just done it , when in actual fact it was their wife's that did it , they did fck all , and it wasn't online
Fair enough. I like tenacity and like yourself, would similarly call out anyone being economical with the truth. Hopefully they have fixed all the glitches on their online renewal systems as I am due to renew imminently.

BTW, did you get any quotes from other companies? I don't bother since my roojai premium has only increased by roughly 3% over the years I have used them.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » January 22, 2021, 6:08 am

tamada wrote:
January 21, 2021, 4:38 am

Fair enough. I like tenacity and like yourself, would similarly call out anyone being economical with the truth. Hopefully they have fixed all the glitches on their online renewal systems as I am due to renew imminently.

BTW, did you get any quotes from other companies? I don't bother since my roojai premium has only increased by roughly 3% over the years I have used them.
Tam only one glitch left as far as i can see , . when you send a message on email ,i always get " [email protected]" nondeliverable , which when roojai replies tells you it's a load of bollocks ,
Yes i got quite a few quotes and many cheaper ,BUT the cover was less and ALL gave a less valuation on the vehicle
EG , roojai 270,000 bht against almost all others at 100,000bht ,
on this occasion i upper the medical cover , this year if i'd not upped the medical cover the quote would be the same as last year give or take 100 bht ,

this is the last reply i got of them

We do apologize for the misunderstanding. However, we are writing to inform you that we received your email normally. It might be because of the IT issue. We do apologize for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Roojai.com

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » February 5, 2021, 11:01 pm

I insured my wife's car with Rooojai a bit over a year ago after reading about it on this forum. In the first few days before I drove it back to Udon from Bangkok it had a mechanical problem (2 1/2 yo Proton) on a Friday night. We went out for dinner with some friends, but come time to leave, the auto gear wouldn't engage. Luckily we had taken the roadside breakdown option for abt 300 bht and they despatched someone to check it out. Couldn't be fixed onsite so a tilt tray truck arrived and took it to the distributor some 15 kms away. The next day (Saturday) I had arranged to drive it back to Udon and fly back to BKK Sunday arvo. We lobbed up to the distributors door Sat morning, slipped them a grand to jump the queue which would have kept us there until late arvo, and watched as they fixed the ever so simple problem. The auto gear lever swivels on a horizontal shaft and it appears that a circlip which retains the bush keeping the lever in place had come adrift. New bushes, new circlip and and good to go in twenty minutes. Also got them to service it (oil change etc) and we were on our way in under an hour. We were only half way thru the vehicle's five year warranty period and the only charge was 200 baht callout fee for the tilt-tray plus the cost of the oil.
No more hassles with the car (which I love, Proton own Lotus UK by the way), no claims on the insurance, and we just renewed for a slightly lesser insured amount and a lower premium.
I had asked to insure my 6 yo Ford Ranger with them - quote was way, way lower than Viriyah who I had been with, but they wouldn't take me on as I was over 70 even with a good no claims record. Renewed with Viriyah but this year they (V) wanted an exortionate premium for a lower insured amount on Ins Type 3+ despite a good no claims record. Thought I would give Roojai a try again, and yes, this year age wasn't a problem - they must have used a different underwriter. I applied for Cat 1 comprehensive and double the insured amount with Viriyah and Roojai's quote was just half the V premium. Later their rep spoke to me abt the 3 year no claim discount (lost a mirror the year before that), but said that I couldn't have the discount because my Cat 3+ policy with V didn't entitle me to the discount on Cat 1 comprehensive. Said she would speak to her supervisor and came came back saying that the coy. had agreed to give me the 3 yr discount. All done and dusted a month ago. I am sure that Roojai is Australian owned, and I love dealing with them. Yes their automated renewal system is annoying, but this automation is exactly what keeps their premiums so low.
ps. I have also taken an option for any driver over age 30 to drive it at a cost of abt 300 bht. My wife can't drive a manual, but a few of her nieces can - handy if I have had a few drinks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 6, 2021, 10:02 am

I assume that roojai reassessed the risks on insuring older drivers as a few people who were previously (last year) prevented due to being 70+ are now enjoying their improved coverages and their lower premiums. Maybe the older, slower but more mindful and courteous driver is being recognized.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 6, 2021, 10:38 am

^ or they decided it’s an untapped market where the premiums will hopefully outweigh the payouts
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 3, 2021, 1:11 pm

For those who may be interested in car insurance, I recently re-insured the Honda Jazz (2019 RS Model) through VIRIYAH Insurance for the sum of B 18,145 plus assuming VAT (B 1,645). Total 19,790, arguably No 1 Insurance, but also covered for Fire but not Theft.

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on April 3, 2021, 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 3, 2021, 6:22 pm

Renewed my annual policy with Roojai yesterday. Took 5 minutes. No forms to fill out, no emails, no photos, Nuthin. Just a quick check that all the same options from the previous year were included and paid with a credit card. No claims from previous year.

Easiest renewal ever ... and they weren't interested in my yellow book.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » April 3, 2021, 8:20 pm

19,790 Baht.....Stupid money to pay.
If it makes you happy to be ripped off....
Enjoy...!!!!
YKICAMOOCOW

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 3, 2021, 10:20 pm

marcus1 wrote:
April 3, 2021, 8:20 pm
19,790 Baht.....Stupid money to pay.
If it makes you happy to be ripped off....
Enjoy...!!!!
Its all relevant :-k :-k

Actually it was B 1,645 part was for Registration (not VAT) and the B 18,145 part was for Comprehensive / No 1 Insurance with very low Excess on what was a B 765,000 new car 20 months ago, and is now is being driven by an 18 Year old (not by me).

You try and get Comprehensive or No 1, as they call it, with almost no Excess, for a young teenager in her first year of driving, with no track record and see how far you get with Roojai. \:D/ :-k I certainly didn't come across a better offer, "Apple to Apple".

I posted it for someone who may be looking around for Insurance on a similar small car vehicle, so they could compare

Anyway, it is less that USD 600 (the Insurance), the equivalent of JD & Coke money, for a fortnight in Pattaya. Hardly worth losing sleep over. As I said, its all "Relevant" :wave:

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on April 3, 2021, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “Insurance”