RooJai Car and Motorbike Insurance

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: RooJai Car and Motorbike Insurance

Post by vincemunday » January 23, 2019, 5:41 pm

It got better, even the motorcyclist admitted blame, they thought they could pass me before I turned, even still the claims "negotiator" said he couldn't push the claim, my guess is the biker had no insurance but of course I'll never know.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » January 23, 2019, 8:47 pm

I am getting very annoyed with this company now, despite not accepting me because of my age my wife is being constantly pestered by their sales staff on her phone to take out insurance in her name, who repeatedly tell her, I can drive the vehicle but won'r be covered by their insurance, surely this must be the same as aiding and abbeting me to commit a crime ?Not ethical or professional behaviour by the company or it's employees.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 24, 2019, 9:22 am

vincemunday wrote:
January 23, 2019, 5:41 pm
It got better, even the motorcyclist admitted blame, they thought they could pass me before I turned, even still the claims "negotiator" said he couldn't push the claim, my guess is the biker had no insurance but of course I'll never know.
You have the right to get a different 'Accident investigation officer' get on the blower to roojai. The guy you got that's riven with kriengjai and song sahn doesn't even work for roojai/kpi either.

We had to do it a few years ago when Mrs Tam had a similar t-boning by unlicensed and uninsured kids on a step through. She too had the 5k excess but there was two injured parties and the 'investigator' kept insisting that the old fashioned meeting with injured parties at the police station and the need for other compensations still applied. She had very good support from the insurance broker who provided a contact with a senior manager the insurance company. A few days later, she got a much better and proactive investigator/loss adjuster and the police/gold digger meetings were shut down real quick.

FWIW, if it was me and there are no bodily injuries and the motorbike driver isn't claiming damages, I would bite the bullet and just burn the deductible. But get the 'investigator' to have the bike rider sign off on that just in case he takes his broken bike home, his uncle hears it was a farang he hit and then they front up at the house with the cops at 9 PM.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » January 24, 2019, 10:22 am

It all seems to be settled now Tam, after much hollering and hooting the bike paid 2000 baht towards the repair, his wife turned up and told him he should pay because he knew I was right so I should only be a few thousand out of pocket, I'll have to see how much Nissan charge. To be honest I got bloody minded in the end, I'd done nothing wrong and my assessor wouldn't budge, I started to get a bit bouncy (I know, I know.....) and the Mrs started to get a bit panicky so i went, tidied up my workshop and left her to it.

The problem Roojai have is that they will be judged by the service customers get after an accident, it's no good being competitive if the assessors don't look after the insured.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 24, 2019, 10:33 am

vincemunday wrote:
January 24, 2019, 10:22 am
It all seems to be settled now Tam, after much hollering and hooting the bike paid 2000 baht towards the repair, his wife turned up and told him he should pay because he knew I was right so I should only be a few thousand out of pocket, I'll have to see how much Nissan charge. To be honest I got bloody minded in the end, I'd done nothing wrong and my assessor wouldn't budge, I started to get a bit bouncy (I know, I know.....) and the Mrs started to get a bit panicky so i went, tidied up my workshop and left her to it.

The problem Roojai have is that they will be judged by the service customers get after an accident, it's no good being competitive if the assessors don't look after the insured.
That's about the best you can expect and at least his wife saw some sense. When my wife had her no-injury prang, she called me but we agreed I stay away until the vultures had buggered off... so I relaxed and had another jack and water! When I got there, even the cops had left and just my sad-looking wife and her even sadder-looking bent ride waiting for the 'investigator.' He was late as his motorbike battery was flat and he had to get his girlfriend to take him to the scene. That portended the lame performance that ensued.

Like Mrs tam did with her flake, you should complain to roojai about this guys poor performance as they are all contractors and your guy was from the company on his badge, not roojai. Better they know the half-hearted ones up front.

If you're not making a claim on your deductible, maybe avoid Nissan? Not sure if your ride is still under warranty or not but from personal experience, unless you already have a good, private car repair shop on tap, the 'dealer repair' versus 'any garage' can be a farce. In my case, my truck, which was under the higher-premium 'dealer repair' option ended up going to the same, half-decent, high-capacity repair shop that all the other insurers and dealerships used. I caught them using recovered, used parts instead of new parts so I had an extra 10 days dicking about while that got resolved. Watch them like a hawk.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » January 28, 2019, 9:44 am

The latest twist in the ongoing saga. On Saturday we were told by Nissan to come and get our car, apparently Roojai wouldn't sanction the work. In the death in turns out this wasn't the case and that the majority of the problems were caused by the independent assessor, Roojai have apologised and assure me that this isn't how they intend to do business and will sort out the procedures in place to make sure this doesn't happen again and I'm of the opinion they're being quite honest with me so it all ends well.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 1, 2019, 3:33 pm

Had the 2nd vehicle changed over to Roojai this last week.
Like for like comparison for our small 2015 car, old insurer said 320,000 and was 13,900 to Roojai value bring 340,000 and 5,600. Full #1 comprehensive and with excess dropped to I think 2000 or 3000 bht. Any driver over 25 covered.
No brainer in choice and done very sickly over the phone.
Missus already has her fuel card offered and sent out for 1500 free fuel at PTT. There was a choice of free product cards. Tesco another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » August 19, 2019, 1:52 pm

Hi all
My wife bought a used car (2016 Proton Preve AT 1.6 L turbo, 50000 kms) on Tuesday. It stayed garaged until I sorted out the insurance (Thursday afternoon). Originally I was prepared to go with Direct Asia https://secure.directasia.co.th/motor/q ... uote#start but she has held a DL for only 1 year and 10 months - they won't insure drivers who have held a licence for less than 2 years, so back searching. Came across Roojai (without having seen this discussion) and the online/ call back experience was very simple and easy. I paid some extra to get additional personal injury and medical expenses coverage (500k per person up to five people) and with a 3000 baht excess. Full class 1 comprehensive with extras was around 7,500 baht - less than 60% of some other quotes. I think we got a pretty good deal buying the car at 250,000 baht, BUT Roojai have insured it for 370,000.
Roojai quote.jpg
Policy coverage.jpg
Click on the pictures for a larger more detailed image.
Friday night went to dinner with some friends at a Bangkok restaurant; after dinner, a problem with the car - the auto shift wouldn't engage. Called Roojai and they contacted their roadside assist guy who called back promptly. After hearing what the problem was he said that it wasn't something he could fix roadside. He arranged for a tilt tray truck to take it to the Proton distributor. Next morning we went there and explained what the problem was, they took off the side covers of the shift mechanism and it was a simple problem - a bush holding in the shift lever had come adrift. Fixed that under warranty, and an oil change later we were on the road to Udon in less than two hours. Pleased to say that the trip was uneventful and the Preve is a pleasure to drive on the open road. Only have praise for both Roojai and Proton.
Just to clear up a couple of other things:
  • KTB Bank doesn't own Roojai, BUT its insurance subsidiary underwrites Roojai's policies. Roojai's bank account is with Kasikorn.
    • My wife is nominated as the main driver and I am named on the policy as another driver. I am 70 y.o. now and will be 71 in October. Roojai confirmed my wife's age (a lot less than mine) as the main driver, but they were not concerned about the age of other drivers named in the policy, just the main driver. For an additional 600+ baht, the policy can be endorsed for any driver over 30 years old without naming on the policy.
      • The discount for having a dash cam is 10%.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 20, 2019, 7:08 am

ajarnudon,

Good result for you with this roojai company.
I think since they were first mentioned on UM some time ago , I think by Vince, that they have slowly improved their policies to provide a better product and problems with claiming.
I find them to be well above the others with extras and promotions, actually have not seen any promotions from our previous insurer over a number of years now.
I'm very interested in the additional medical insurance you took out for the 500K. Had seen it when viewing online but not investigated further. I normally do a quote online entering the vehicle details etc and the missus then takes over the purchase on the phone.
The medical insurance will be on my todo list when getting home from this tour of duty.
I'll assume it can only be carried on one insurance policy. We have 3 policies including 2 cars and bike.

Thanks for the feedback

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 20, 2019, 7:56 am

Just had my renewal notice from Roojai. To be honest I was half expecting a penalty after the accident I had, it wasn't my fault but TIT and being the sceptic i am...

Well it would seem there's no penalty, they recognised I had a no fault claim and haven't penalised me.

The quote had come in at 5,500 baht plus 124 baht (or thereabouts) for additional breakdown cover and they're giving away their usual promotional bits and pieces so overall I'm very happy to renew with them.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » August 20, 2019, 8:24 am

Hi Barney
The online standard coverage for personal accident and medical expenses was 200,000 baht in each case. A button at the end of these lines opened up an options box with additional premium to increase these amounts to 500,000 in each case. I am now not sure how much the extra premium was, but might have been in the order of 700 baht. Also paid a small amount to reduce the excess from 5,000 to 3,000. I am unsure about what exactly is covered under the personal accident and medical expenses categories, but I will let you know when I get the policy in my hands.
Regards, John.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » September 10, 2019, 11:23 am

Just a heads up and, no big deal but, called to cancel my insurance today as I am replacing with a new vehicle with insurance via dealer.

Apparently, if you cancel in the first year you get a rebate but, they deduct the THB 1000 voucher given when taking out the policy. Seemed fair enough!

Generally very happy with Roo Jai. Excellent price and reasonable customer service

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 10, 2019, 12:18 pm

samster wrote:
September 10, 2019, 11:23 am
Just a heads up and, no big deal but, called to cancel my insurance today as I am replacing with a new vehicle with insurance via dealer.

Apparently, if you cancel in the first year you get a rebate but, they deduct the THB 1000 voucher given when taking out the policy. Seemed fair enough!

Generally very happy with Roo Jai. Excellent price and reasonable customer service
Did you consider getting a quote for the new ride from roojai? You will probably come back to them after a year anyway and I am sure they'll hold no grudges and it will be cheap as chips.

I my experience, the dealer's free 1st Class insurance is past its sell-by date. It was (and still is) a sop to the lazy indigenous. More so with the advent of roojai and other online discounters. With the free insurance, after the first year is up, you either roll-over and pay more or if you are proactive, you shop around for a lower premium that maintains or comes closest to what the free coverage was. On my last purchase, I found it easier and cheaper to insure the new car with my existing insurance carrier and badgered the dealership to lop the cost of their 'free' insurance off the price tag and give me a better discount.

Oh yes, and no tint or plastic wind deflectors either (the carpets come as standard from the factory BTW), just a better cash discount please.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » September 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the hints but, I’m a salesman’s dream and can’t be bothered to haggle for a few thousand Baht..... and I’m a Yorkshireman!!!

Guess, after 12 years I’m becoming Thai.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 10, 2019, 7:47 pm

Just looked myself, very reasonable
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » November 23, 2019, 10:21 am

Just received the renewal for my 2008 Vigo from our long term insurer Viriyah, 9,700 bht, only have type 2 coverage on this truck. Did a quick quote check with Roojai, dropped the excess to 1,000 bht and type 1 quote is 6,300 bht. Viriyah have this year quoted 200,000 bht write off value (last year 350,000) Roojai quote 450,000 bht..... need to look at the complete policy I think.

Has anyone any more comments on Roojai before I jump ship from Viriyah.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2019, 12:25 pm

Yes.

I have just renewed the (Class 1) insurance on Mrs spratt's Honda City with Roojai, after going through another online broker (GluayGluay) for the past 5 years. For the last 3 years the insurer has been Bangkok Bank.

The process with Roojai has been quite painless. The premium is 15% lower than with GG, and the insured sum >30% higher. Other coverage is pretty similar - TBH5000 excess, their garage, no nominated driver etc.

Of course, with any insurance, the devil is in the detail, particularly what happens after an incident - hopefully I won't ever need to know.

One feature I particularly like is a function on their (Roojai) phone app, which allows you to instantly contact them after an accident, and by turning on "location" on the phone, they will find you.

Recommended.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 23, 2019, 12:46 pm

Chriss

Agree with Mr Spratt.
Just paid for the 3rd year on our little car.
Have both cars with them.
The payout figure is a good starting point to perhaps how much your car is really worth.
As you suggested have a close look at their policy. There are quite a few promotion type items.
First time insured or a 2nd vehicle is a credit back, we took the 1,000 bht free fuel card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

I just purchased Roojai insurance for my almira after seeing comments on here, my minister for war took some convincing but after she checked several other companies and 2 brokers she rang them. The cost for my car was up to 50% less plus they were fine with 10 mth payments plus we got 1,000b petrol or food bonus on a 6,500b policy. She said they were very good on phone and sent a man out to photo car and get signatures.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 24, 2019, 6:43 am

I just renewed on one of my cars, couldn’t be easier, with Roojai you get break down over, a refuel if you run out, an open car if you forget your keys and as far as I can see the cover is at least as good as the other insurers, highly recommended. Plus I got a 500 baht petrol coupon to use at PT!

Return to “Insurance”