No 1 class car insurance .

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
wazza
udonmap.com

Re: No 1 class car insurance .

Post by wazza » November 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

How to decrease your exposure to this slightly perhaps

Make sure the Window tinting / film on your front windows of your vehicle is no more than say 40 % at the time of application, if you travel at night.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Just a heads up here.
I can be a real pain in the arse, if I think I've been wronged. But it's paid off this time.
Driving the car to my son's school on the Phen to highway road, I was clobbered by a pickup attempting to overtake a tuk tuk. I will never understand what this other driver's thinking, or lack of, was. It seems he made no allowance whatsoever for me coming the other way! Fortunately, I avoided head on contact, else damage to me and the car would have been a lot more serious. Insurances turned up quite quickly and I was pleased he was honest to accept full liability for the crash. Surprise! So my car has been in Honda for nearly a month, repair completed hopefully this Saturday.
BUT I needed a hire car. From posts here, I thought I was going to be out of pocket through no fault of my own. I was told I must approach the other driver's insurance company for compensation, which I did, to be told I would only receive a percentage of my hire car costs, no way full reimbursement. If I was using the car for my work (I don't) the percentage was likely to be higher.
Anyway, I wrote to the Chairman of Thanachart Insurance giving the 'saga'. I precis here, but I explained a car was essential to me (Location, getting son to school etc.), although not for business and that it was blatantly unfair that I should not be compensated in full for the hire car costs, being completely innocent in the accident, caused by one of his policy holders.
Success! I've been promised the reimbursement of rental costs in full. Even my wife is quite quiet, normally telling me not to bother. :lol: Nice to have the occasional victory here.
Incidentally, my wife did make reference to some kind of Government office (maybe Consumer Protection Board?) which can take this kind of thing up for you.
Oh, watch out for anyone dealing with your claim. My wife and I are suspicious, as the agent asked if we'd accept less(5,000 baht less), that he'll attempt to skim off something for himself in sending off documentation to Head Office.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2018, 11:54 am

Brian Davis wrote:
August 16, 2018, 10:44 am
Just a heads up here.
I can be a real pain in the arse, if I think I've been wronged. But it's paid off this time.
Driving the car to my son's school on the Phen to highway road, I was clobbered by a pickup attempting to overtake a tuk tuk. I will never understand what this other driver's thinking, or lack of, was. It seems he made no allowance whatsoever for me coming the other way! Fortunately, I avoided head on contact, else damage to me and the car would have been a lot more serious. Insurances turned up quite quickly and I was pleased he was honest to accept full liability for the crash. Surprise! So my car has been in Honda for nearly a month, repair completed hopefully this Saturday.
BUT I needed a hire car. From posts here, I thought I was going to be out of pocket through no fault of my own. I was told I must approach the other driver's insurance company for compensation, which I did, to be told I would only receive a percentage of my hire car costs, no way full reimbursement. If I was using the car for my work (I don't) the percentage was likely to be higher.
Anyway, I wrote to the Chairman of Thanachart Insurance giving the 'saga'. I precis here, but I explained a car was essential to me (Location, getting son to school etc.), although not for business and that it was blatantly unfair that I should not be compensated in full for the hire car costs, being completely innocent in the accident, caused by one of his policy holders.
Success! I've been promised the reimbursement of rental costs in full. Even my wife is quite quiet, normally telling me not to bother. :lol: Nice to have the occasional victory here.
Incidentally, my wife did make reference to some kind of Government office (maybe Consumer Protection Board?) which can take this kind of thing up for you.
Oh, watch out for anyone dealing with your claim. My wife and I are suspicious, as the agent asked if we'd accept less(5,000 baht less), that he'll attempt to skim off something for himself in sending off documentation to Head Office.
Good result there.

There's an Insurance Ombudsman which I think your wife was referring to. I have read they are quite good.

Absolutely spot-on advice on watching the insurance agent (assessor) like a hawk. A lot of these people work for more than one insurance company and depending on the insurance company's oversight, may try to skim something off the top or tell you one thing (what you want to hear) while saying something else on the actual report to the insurance company who in turn tell you something totally different. Case in point: a friend of mine had his bike parked outside his gate and a cable TV pickup reversing back up the cul-de-sac knocked it over and dragged it a bit. Heaviest damage on one side and the driver was apologetic, said it was his fault while they waited for the cable co's insurance agent. All fine and dandy until it's time to get it sorted and the cable co's insurance company is stalling on pre-existing damage... something that was not mentioned at the time by the agent mainly because there was no pre-existing damage. I think he's chasing after the ombudsman now which is a joke since 5000 baht will probably cover all repairs.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 21, 2018, 3:46 am

I hope we all can avoid accidents.
But, if you are involved and it's the other guy's fault, I heard via wife and the sister-in-law that the Government was introducing a definite compensation scale if you're out of pocket following the accident e.g. cost of hire car? Sorry, all a bit vague, but I just mentioned here as a heads up and that some other member may see details.
As some of us have been told no compensation, or only a percentage, it would be good if things are on a proper footing. Although I was successful in my complaint, I did feel the system was all a scam to avoid pay outs. Surprise! :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 21, 2018, 9:26 am

The whole car insurance set up needs auditing. There's a lot of people paying over the odds for 'dealer only' when it comes to repair shops thinking that that gets them better quality repairs with genuine, new parts. In reality and based on personal experience, 'dealer only' can simply get your car to the head of the queue at the same repair shop that also does 'any repair shop' work. That's acceptable since ostensibly a car repair is a car repair but one runs the risk of recovered or non-OEM parts being used in repairs instead of the new parts one would assume comes with the 'dealer only' option.

If you do have a car in a body shop getting repaired under insurance and you have some concerns about the quality of work and ultimately what you are still paying for, it pays to drop by and see what they're doing.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 21, 2018, 2:11 pm

Toyota near the railway line on the eastern, or northern ringroad , whatever , has its own body shop , but a lot do get farmed out .
I have a friend who got hit from behind , no problems with the insurers ect .
But hes been without his car for months , with at least two more weeks to wait , because they couldnt get a rear light from Suzuki !!!!
My local guy who turns out quality work , would of had it on the road within two weeks .
Insurers the world over just take the p#ss , because its a legal requirement , and they can.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 23, 2018, 4:01 am

saint wrote:
November 21, 2018, 2:11 pm
Toyota near the railway line on the eastern, or northern ringroad , whatever ,
charts are necessary , study cloud formations
often flight paths of sea birds & pirate compass

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 23, 2018, 10:08 am

I believe land charts are called maps . No need to show depths, wrecks , cables , ect . But no doubt some smart arse will correct me on this one too !!!!
In my alleged nautical days i used to be responsible to do a weather report for the British met office at noon local time on a daily basis, which included cloud types and cloud cover amongst other things .
Anyways back to insurance and it looks like Vince has found a good online deal .

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 23, 2018, 8:55 pm

you say you were an alleged sailor , but every
sailor i know of has a tattoo of a boat anchor
on his arm? have you such a mark sir ? :-k

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 24, 2018, 5:42 am

mech_401 wrote:
November 23, 2018, 8:55 pm
you say you were an alleged sailor , but every
sailor i know of has a tattoo of a boat anchor
on his arm? have you such a mark sir ? :-k
I said i was an alleged nautical type . Not Popeye . :roll:

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 24, 2018, 7:03 am

if it pleases the court , i wish to enter
into evidence , exhibit A your lordship ;)
( seriously , there are neat nautical theme tats)
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.45 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 25, 2018, 4:06 am

another popular sailor tattoo , the alleged nautical
types may or may not be aware of =;
images.jpg

Return to “Insurance”