Health Insurance

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by Rockfossil » April 7, 2016, 9:11 pm

Just been researching the health insurance forum (from 2005 onwards) and guess it would have been easier if I had just come straight to the forum to find out who has what, cost for an individual (over 60), and the general pitfalls that are involved in getting health insurance. Also, there was a gent in one of the forums, who was the local rep for AIA in Udon, (I think he was a sponsor of the site), but cannot find any reference to AIA, or him recently. Any assistance as to who offers a reasonable cover for medical services would be appreciated.

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by faranginUTH » April 8, 2016, 1:00 am

I filled out all the forms for AIA, then they rejected me, wasted my time, I went directly to BUPA and have coverage

Kiwidad3
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by Kiwidad3 » April 8, 2016, 6:39 am

I PM'd yo with some information

wazza
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by wazza » April 8, 2016, 9:05 am

There is an Expat Sponsor on UM, who provides Health Insurances etc

AA Insurances - Peter

noosard
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by noosard » April 8, 2016, 11:27 am

BUPA has a shop at Nadee Big C complex
They may be helpful

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by AA Ins Broker » April 8, 2016, 1:58 pm

Medical Insurance is not an easy insurance to set up as we all have different needs/risks and one needs to look for the long term not just annually as in vehicle/property insurance.
There are many dedicated medical insurance companies out there so the first tip is to stay away from companies that offer other types of insurances. Going direct is fine but suggest the use of a Broker will help narrow the choice and will help should there be a dispute – important to remember you will not get any cheaper by going direct and may finish up paying too much.
We at AA Insurance Brokers can offer the full range of insurance companies and suggest policies most suitable for the individual or group.

I live in Udon and am happy to talk to anyone on medical or general insurance – initially please go to our web site or email me direct :

www.aainsure.net
[email protected]

Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by Rockfossil » April 22, 2016, 2:27 pm

A couple of forum members PM'd me on this topic and I have replied. Please check your mail gents.

rct
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by rct » April 23, 2016, 4:37 pm

Have BUPA with my wife and two children for 5-6 years now. Claims have generally been processed without issue. Seems like I pay about 125,000 baht per year for all of us, mine being the most expensive as my age in fifties and have higher level of cover (and note I did not include OPD for myself, to keep premiums lower). Children 5 and under are more expensive, and our rates came down as the children became older.

We also get special cover during our trips to the US, as BUPA would otherwise not cover us while there, pay about $150 for about 6 weeks extra cover, for the four of us. Do not dare going to the US without health insurance.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

DuiDui
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by DuiDui » April 23, 2016, 4:52 pm

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Wise words rct.

Hope you and your family is healthy and well...Nok and Dui at Nok's Restaurant Nongsamrong road.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by Photoman » April 23, 2016, 5:13 pm

Hi rct

Did you purchase / arrange the insurance in the States or in Thailand ?

Thanks

rct
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by rct » April 23, 2016, 8:13 pm

I arranged it with BUPA's Bangkok head office.

Photoman
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by Photoman » April 24, 2016, 2:49 am

Thank you RCT

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by AA Ins Broker » April 24, 2016, 4:07 pm

BUPA is a well know local company but do check the benefits – the maximum they can offer is their Platinum 5m Baht plan. Now that many seem a lot of money but in (say) 5, 10 or 15 years what will 5m Baht buy in a private hospital ? Even at today’s prices we have seen invoices for more than that.
There are other medical companies that, due to their size and underwriting, can offer not only higher benefits but with lower premiums at times.
One example is MSH International, based in Bangkok who offers 32m Baht of full cover which should be sufficient to take in hospital cost increases, inflation etc. As you can see from the table the premium are very competitive with BUPA even though they offer a far better product.
Now MSH is only one of many companies so do yourself a favour and ask us or your local Broker to show what is available – things that you will not get by going direct to any insurance company.
Remember the premiums are the same if you use a Broker but by going direct may cost you a great deal more.
Attachments
BUPA v MSH.docx
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by ajsp9 » April 24, 2016, 10:26 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:BUPA is a well know local company but do check the benefits – the maximum they can offer is their Platinum 5m Baht plan. Now that many seem a lot of money but in (say) 5, 10 or 15 years what will 5m Baht buy in a private hospital ? Even at today’s prices we have seen invoices for more than that.
There are other medical companies that, due to their size and underwriting, can offer not only higher benefits but with lower premiums at times.
One example is MSH International, based in Bangkok who offers 32m Baht of full cover which should be sufficient to take in hospital cost increases, inflation etc. As you can see from the table the premium are very competitive with BUPA even though they offer a far better product.
Now MSH is only one of many companies so do yourself a favour and ask us or your local Broker to show what is available – things that you will not get by going direct to any insurance company.
Remember the premiums are the same if you use a Broker but by going direct may cost you a great deal more.

I think that's a really useful post and cost comparison. Although not an ex pat this is useful information for he future. The % difference between. BUPA. and MSH et al is significant and appears to offer better cover . Thank you

colt1911
udonmap.com

Health Insurance

Post by colt1911 » April 25, 2016, 4:07 pm

I just purchased MSH for my girl. Looked at BUPA and AIA. Comparison provided by Peter, AA Brokerage, here on the Map was very helpful. Wish I had done it 2 years ago because she has had some health problems.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Re: Health Insurance

Post by choi choi » May 27, 2019, 9:56 pm

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Health Insurance

Post by Giggle » May 27, 2019, 10:08 pm

I hate insurance. It's a scam.

That's not to say I don't have it, just that I despise the premise.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Insurance”