First Class Auto Insurance in Laos and Thailand

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » May 29, 2014, 6:54 pm

I have a Thai car that I drive across the border, and am using two different insurance companies: Bangkok for Thailand and PCT for Laos. These are both the best first class policies I could find, and I'm happy with both companies, except that I'm paying twice as much, because I'm using a different company for each country. Does anyone know of a good single company that covers both places? Also, wife has a Lao car and needs to buy Thai insurance. She's using PCT for Laos but PCT won't cover Thailand, and Bangkok won't insure a Lao car. Does anyone know of a solution for both cars and both places? Would only consider first class insurance with a company that has a good reputation.

This isn't a question about how to drive across the border because we already know how to do that, and I can see from reading prior posts that a lot of people are misinformed about the procedures.

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » May 30, 2014, 5:59 am

ive been using AGL on a Lao registered car for years with no problems, covers lao and thailand

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » September 4, 2014, 10:45 pm

Lao-miner wrote:ive been using AGL on a Lao registered car for years with no problems, covers lao and thailand
Belated thanks for the tip. We found a company which I think is the same one you mention, but it wasn't first class. It turns out that no company will provide comprehensive coverage for a Lao car in Thailand. They will only cover liability to the other party. This surprises me, because a Lao car costs about twice what you would pay for a comparable car in Thailand. Many of the Lao cars you see in Udon cost around $200,000. (USD) Lao drivers are terrible even by Thai standards. When they cause an accident, their insurance company won't pay for the damage to their cars.

One guy in Vientiane tried to sell us what he claimed was comprehensive, but balked at providing a formal quote, because he was lying.

AA Ins Broker
udonmap.com

Post by AA Ins Broker » September 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

The reason at present why you cannot buy (say) Thai insurance for other countries is due in part to the lack of Licenses (read co-operation) between the different Governments and the lack of repair shops in other countries with contarcts with the insurance companies.
We feel this ‘may’ come with the ASEAN pact but then again …

marklv
udonmap.com

Post by marklv » September 6, 2014, 11:08 pm

AA Ins Broker wrote:The reason at present why you cannot buy (say) Thai insurance for other countries is due in part to the lack of Licenses (read co-operation) between the different Governments and the lack of repair shops in other countries with contarcts with the insurance companies.
We feel this ‘may’ come with the ASEAN pact but then again …
PCT (a Lao Company) sells comprehensive insurance for Thai cars in Laos. It's Thai insurance for Lao cars that's unavailable.

I actually used them once when I stopped for a red light in Vientiane and a Lao guy riding a motorbike behind me ran into my rear bumper. I got out, took pictures of him and the damage with my phone camera. He was so drunk he literally couldn't stand up. He kept falling down, causing onlookers to gather around. I kept his license, and waited for the insurance guy to come. The insurance guy called the Lao police, but the cops refused to come investigate, so he took the drunk guys license to the police station, but they still refused to come. The insurance guy returned the drunk guy's license to him after he paid me a few thousand baht (I don't remember exactly how much) to settle. Fortunately, damage to my car was very minor.

If it had been a drunk farang, the Lao cops would have smelled money and come right away.

Return to “Insurance”