Used Cars on Facebook

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
David Chop
udonmap.com

Used Cars on Facebook

Post by David Chop » November 9, 2023, 10:30 am

There's a Thai guy on FB Marketplace right now posting what appear to be pretty good deals on used cars. It's borderline "too good to be true" territory IMO, so I'm looking for input from the more experienced Udon expats here.

I'm not concerned with vehicle mechanical condition. I can manage/take my chances on that. My concern is the paperwork. He's posting stuff like รถหลุดจำน่า, which google translates as "A pawned car." I'm guessing this means the guy has found a pipeline of bank repos or something. In any case he's clearly doing some kind of 3rd party curb sales. I"m not concerned exactly what his source is (but I am curious), only that when I go down to Land Transport I don't get told tough titties, no plate for you. That is: what do I want to see in order to NOT walk into a paperwork nightmare down at DLT?

Smarten up a greenhorn?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Used Cars on Facebook

Post by jackspratt » November 9, 2023, 11:02 am

Can you post a link to an example?

David Chop
udonmap.com

Post by David Chop » November 9, 2023, 11:40 am

Here's one without the "pawned" text, but the "front page and owner ID" text is the same/similar.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 2856355345

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 9, 2023, 12:05 pm

Have you ever seen wrecked cars that are repaired here in Thailand? Think what you want but a badly wrecked vehicle that has been repaired will never be the same. That is the reason that I usually bite the bullet and buy new vehicles. The absolute worst vehicle I have EVER owned was a 4X4 beautiful looking Toyota. I acquired it from a former friend who owed me a considerable amount of money. It had problems electrical and mechanical and was never even remotely reliable. I did buy an old beater Toyota to keep at my Jomtien condo. It is over 20 years old and has never missed a beat. In fact I still have it. Sometimes you get lucky and often you get a lemon. It's much safer to buy new.

David Chop
udonmap.com

Post by David Chop » November 9, 2023, 12:17 pm

Quoting myself:
I'm not concerned with vehicle mechanical condition. I can manage/take my chances on that. My concern is the paperwork.
I can't count the number of used cars and motorcycles I've bought. I've bought cars out of junkyards and dropped crate motors into them. I've restored antiques. I worked my way through college as a mechanic. As quoted: I've got the mechanical end covered.

But hey, thanks glalt for being the first guy to answer the question I *specifically* didn't ask.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 9, 2023, 2:38 pm

There was a thread about these 'pawn cars' on AseanNow forum a few months back. These are cars that still belong to finance companies after the buyer's default but they haven't been recovered by the finance companies. Cheap cars for the desperate.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

David Chop
udonmap.com

Post by David Chop » November 9, 2023, 3:15 pm

OK, I went and did what I should have done in the first place: I asked a Thai. :)
I'd still be interested to hear any of y'all's experiences getting the papers straight at DLT though. Really.

Word I got back was, the 3rd party/pawn bit was not a problem at all. Great. What was described to me sounded an awful lot like a pawn shop, just without the shop part. So I guess google/facebook translate actually did a pretty good job on this one.

Importantly what I also got back was, "he have to go with you to DLT." Now whether that means the seller actually has some obligation or I'm simply to insist I'm not sure. But I was also told that absolutely NO money was to change hands until after DLT had signed off on it. Pretty fool proof (and--ahem--in hindsight obvious) advice.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 9, 2023, 7:54 pm

The AseanNow thread I mentioned was inconclusive but there could have been more than one. However, a search for 'Thailand pawn cars' offers up a few tales of dodginess over the years from different parts of the country. It appears to be legal and legitimate but open to fraud being perpetrated by dishonest 'car pawn shop' operators.

So it may be a legal but unorthodox way of acquiring a car and its title more cheaply than traditional ways.

1 ) The original car owner has entered into a loan agreement using a fully paid-off and wholly-owned car for collateral with the vehicle title held but not transferred to the loaner.

2 ) For whatever reason, the loanee wants to cash out, be rid of the monthly payments and being in debt but accepts the loss of actual vehicle to third parties willing to pay off the balance of the loan. To me, that's the "only in Thailand" aspect but maybe the loan interest was a killer and this 100% write-off the best solution?

3 ) The loanee doesn't want the vehicle either, he just wants his money which is more understandable. Hence the owner who's name still appears on the title, needs to attend the local DLT office with the prospective new owner to complete ownership transfer whereupon the money paid by the new buyer goes directly to the 'car pawn' operator.

4 ) New owner drives away in a 'new' car, the loanee drives away with the cash and the original owner, now unencumbered with debt, happily walks home.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tabanaac
udonmap.com

Post by tabanaac » January 15, 2024, 12:52 pm

Have been looking on Face Book marketplace for a cheap 4 door auto truck for my wife.
I have noticed that the same seller on lots of ads.
Which tells that they are car dealers of some kind.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”